PDA

View Full Version : Like Oberto, we take 11 shots

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Like Oberto, we take 11 shots
By Royce Webb, ESPN.com

After 11 games on the craziest night of the NBA season so far, let's look back . . . and forward.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-061109a

WEDNESDAY NIGHT STUFF

1. While the Suns have the offense everyone seems to emulate, it's the Washington Wizards who are out of the gate fastest, at almost 110 points per game.

They scored 117 points against a strong Indiana defense after coming into the night already leading in John Hollinger's offensive efficiency rating. Chalk that up to crazy-good Gilbert Arenas and the equally original Antawn Jamison, two of the truly unique scorers in the game.

2. Before his stunning, game-winning, moon-scraping 3-pointer over Chris Webber and the Sixers, Toronto's Chris Bosh had made nine 3s in his career, in 39 attempts (including one earlier in the game).

The starcrossed Webber had a strong fourth quarter erased by CB4's heroics, including several late baskets and a good defensive play just seconds before Bosh's bomb.

3. Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis were supposed to be the Knicks' answer to Detroit's Hall of Fame backcourt of Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars. Now it appears doubtful that Francis, out with an ankle injury, can even get back into the lineup.

Why? Because Jamal Crawford threw up 35 points, including a wild 3-pointer with 3.7 seconds remaining to deflate Denver and send the Nuggets to 0-3. Crawford came into the game shooting 21 percent (10-for-47), so his insertion into the starting lineup seems to have ignited him.

4. OK, so the Celtics finally got a win . . . in OT . . . vs. the Bobcats . . . in Boston. Don't start sewing that 17th banner yet.

But did Boston coach Doc Rivers really deserve his first W? Somehow, on a roster that's supposedly too crowded with good players, he found 30 minutes to give to Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine, who combined for -- get this -- five points, one rebound, no assists, four turnovers and seven fouls. They're like the guys no one wants to pass to in a pickup game.

Give Delonte West props, though, for sticking it out and sticking that J at the final horn. He's endured any number of injuries, not to mention the whims of Rivers and Celtics president Danny Ainge, who keep replacing him and benching him and moving him from spot to spot.

Hey guys, make up your mind. Indecision 2006 is hilarious on "The Daily Show," but not for the league's most storied franchise.

5. On most nights, Hedo Turkoglu's jumper to beat the buzzer and the Sonics would have been the evening's top play. As it stands, it was probably only the fifth most memorable shot of the night, behind game-winners by Bosh, Crawford and West . . . and Raja Bell's missed free throw.

6. Speaking of Bell, what a strange night. He comes into the game struggling so badly that he ranked dead last on Hollinger's player efficiency rating. He finally finds his jumper, making 5-of-8 3-pointers, including a dramatic one late in regulation. He follows that up with a drive to the basket, getting fouled -- two made free throws will win the game. He makes the first, but misses the second. Then, in OT, playing his usual gutsy style, he gets a little of his own medicine, taking a shot from Manu Ginobili that lays him out and forces him from the game. And the Suns lose. Not his year so far.

7. Fabricio Oberto is the perfect embodiment, in some ways, of the Spurs.

He's an Argentinean they patiently scouted and signed, but he's not the creative type, a la Manu Ginobili. His talents are so hard to see even his coach thinks his game is "ugly."

But in his second year with San Antonio, he's learned the Spurs' way so well that he's moved into the starting lineup, and he understands how to complement stars Tony Parker, Ginobili and Tim Duncan. Oberto won't go 11-for-11 again anytime soon, but in a way his night was the inevitable result of years and years of the Spurs being the Spurs, and finding players who can do what they do.

REF STUFF

8. The NBA has decided that the players' habit of throwing the ball angrily against the basket stanchion must end, so now that maneuver is an automatic technical foul. Except when it isn't. When Zach Randolph bounced the ball softly off the stanchion in frustration, the Lakers' bench howled because ref Tommy Nunez ignored the foul play. Of course, when Lamar Odom did exactly the same thing in the fourth quarter, only with more force, again on the Lakers' end of the court, the L.A. bench was silent and Nunez again swallowed his whistle.

With the news that players union president Billy Hunter might challenge the new technical foul guidelines, we haven't heard the last of these issues. At the very least, the league's enforcement must be made consistent. After all, just one T charged to Tim Duncan in the fourth quarter Wednesday night would have given Steve Nash a free throw and the Suns a win. But Whiny Tim was allowed to bicker without penalty, and the Spurs won in OT.

BIG PICTURE STUFF

9. There is no grand conspiracy in the NBA. How do I know? Boston is 1-3, the Knicks are 2-3 and still a near-disaster, and the Suns are 1-4. No rational commissioner would rig those results.

10. On the other hand, there is parity in the NBA. In fact, there's a parody of parity. We need to get John Hollinger on this to be sure, but it appears that every team is headed for a 41-41 record. Can't wait to see how the tiebreakers play out.

More than half the teams are 3-2, 2-2, or 2-3. That's not strange by itself, but when you look at who's at the top of the standings and who's at the bottom, that's when it gets weird.

The Atlanta Hawks, 19 months removed from a 13-69 season, are alone atop the East, while the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets, who were 18-64 just before being so rudely displaced by Hurricane Katrina, are alone atop the West. Meanwhile, three of last year's playoff teams -- the Mavs, Nuggets and Suns -- have the three worst records in the league (along with the Sonics).

Think all that will last? Me either. But those early results are why the league looks more dead even than ever.

FUTURE STUFF

11. The last team to get a win this season will be the defending Western Conference champion Mavericks or the defending Northwest Division champion Nuggets.

Long way to go.

Royce Webb is a senior NBA editor for ESPN.com.

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Already posted. :rolleyes

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1277387&postcount=10

Mods, please lock.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2006, 11:15 AM
After all, just one T charged to Tim Duncan in the fourth quarter Wednesday night would have given Steve Nash a free throw and the Suns a win. But Whiny Tim was allowed to bicker without penalty, and the Spurs won in OT.

Is this really going to go by without comment?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-09-2006, 11:19 AM
After all, just one T charged to Tim Duncan in the fourth quarter Wednesday night would have given Steve Nash a free throw and the Suns a win. But Whiny Tim was allowed to bicker without penalty, and the Spurs won in OT.

No need to when Amare does the same thing.

This one hurts
Injuries, missed opportunities cost struggling Suns, who drop to 1-4 with loss

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 9, 2006 12:00 AM

SAN ANTONIO - Blowing big leads in the first three losses brought heartache. This one hurt all over.

Falling to 1-4 with a 111-106 overtime loss Wednesday to San Antonio was painful from the start, when Steve Nash suffered a hip sprain, to the end, when Raja Bell's midsection ached twice from missing a possible game-winning free throw in regulation to falling in overtime to a rib cartilage injury.

And even with Nash's and Bell's status unclear for tonight's home game with Dallas, the club's worst start since an 0-13 start in 1996-97 and a sixth straight regular-season loss in San Antonio, there was plenty to feel good about.

Phoenix had found itself. Starting Amaré Stoudemire harkened back to some of the thunder from when San Antonio last saw him scoring 42 points and grabbing 16 rebounds in 2005.

In his first start, Stoudemire made 8 of 11 shots for 16 points and six rebounds in 15 minutes. It was a short night because he fouled out and had his defensive struggles, volleying lane-filling dunks with defensive lapses.

"It's going to be the same (tonight) without fouling out," Stoudemire said. "I think (starting) really helped out."

Bell's three-point struggles vanished as he hit 5 of 8 three-point tries on a 20-point night. Phoenix led 95-89 before San Antonio rallied in the last 2:15 of regulation.

The crushing blow came when Bell fouled Tim Duncan for a three-point play on a beautiful zigzag play with an assist from Fabricio Oberto, who punished Phoenix for ignoring him by making all 11 of his shots. The Spurs led 101-97 with 10.8 seconds to go after Duncan made a free throw but Bell hit a three-pointer from the corner to pull the Suns within one.

After Duncan missed two free throws, a play designed for Leandro Barbosa to get the ball and look for Shawn Marion cutting to the rim crumbled but Bell wound up isolated against Oberto and got fouled driving with 1.5 seconds to go and the Spurs ahead 101-100. He made the first and missed the second, sending it to overtime where Phoenix could not get a stop.

"Unfortunately, I might've counted my chickens before they hatched," Bell said of his missed free throw as ice was wrapped around his midsection. "I was shocked because it felt good. The ball was feeling good coming off my hand. I knew it was in the basket."

A postgame X-ray showed that Bell did not break a rib. Stoudemire already was long gone on a missed call. The Spurs should have had a shot clock violation when Brent Barry's shot failed to catch rim with 4:17 to go in regulation but Tony Parker grabbed the ball and Stoudemire fouled out with the lead still at six after Parker's free throws.

"A couple of plays were questionable," Stoudemire said. "I feel like I was playing pretty good defense on Tim. But he was struggling so the officials got him going. I guess that happens when you're a superstar in this league."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/1109sunsgamer1109.html

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Already posted. :rolleyes

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1277387&postcount=10

Mods, please lock.

You posted it in the middle of a stupid thread with a different title where no one will find it. So it can stay open :lol

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:23 AM

I will say that there was one play in the game that I was very shocked Tim didn't get T'd up as he was whining like crazy.

LilMissSPURfect
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
"Spurs should have had a shot clock violation when Brent Barry's shot failed to catch rim with 4:17 to go in regulation but Tony Parker grabbed the ball and Stoudemire fouled out with the lead still at six after Parker's free throws"

hmmmmmm I saw it differently...Amare rebound and a Parker Steal..........!&^%#*$(#() then foul Amare........................

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
3. Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis were supposed to be the Knicks' answer to Detroit's Hall of Fame backcourt of Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars. Now it appears doubtful that Francis, out with an ankle injury, can even get back into the lineup.

Why? Because Jamal Crawford threw up 35 points, including a wild 3-pointer with 3.7 seconds remaining to deflate Denver and send the Nuggets to 0-3. Crawford came into the game shooting 21 percent (10-for-47), so his insertion into the starting lineup seems to have ignited him.

How much time is he supposed to miss with his Bruce-induced injury?

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Strict adherence to a no-whining rule for a few weeks could have done a world of good, but the league is blowing it with its selective enforcement. Tim, Cassell, Nash, LeBron all should have gotten T-up in recent games but didn't.

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:26 AM
"Spurs should have had a shot clock violation when Brent Barry's shot failed to catch rim with 4:17 to go in regulation but Tony Parker grabbed the ball and Stoudemire fouled out with the lead still at six after Parker's free throws"

hmmmmmm I saw it differently...Amare rebound and a Parker Steal..........!&^%#*$(#() then foul Amare........................

Yeah I thought it was pretty clear on the replay that Amare secured the rebound and then Tony just slapped down on the ball to steal it away.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah I thought it was pretty clear on the replay that Amare secured the rebound and then Tony just slapped down on the ball to steal it away.

The replay was very clear.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-09-2006, 11:29 AM
How much time is he supposed to miss with his Bruce-induced injury?

Everything I read is indefinitely, but Newsday has Isiah saying he will probably miss the 3-game roadie.

Francis out

Steve Francis (sprained left ankle) did not play last night and Thomas said he didn't know if Francis would play at all on the three-game trip. Jamal Crawford replaced Francis in the starting lineup.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknotes094967806nov09,0,6571041.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah I thought it was pretty clear on the replay that Amare secured the rebound and then Tony just slapped down on the ball to steal it away.The question was whether the 24-second clock expired before Amare touched the ball. If so, then it should have been PHX ball out.

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
The question was whether the 24-second clock expired before Amare touched the ball. If so, then it should have been PHX ball out.

Ahh.. I didn't realize that was their complaint. I think it left the shooter's hands with 2 seconds left, so I didn't think that was a question.

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 11:44 AM
They never showed a good angle on the replay, but I think the buzzer may have sounded before Amare touched it.

Obstructed_View
11-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I thought the TV crew said the buzzer went off before the clock actually hit zero. They went back and looked. I guess I will too.

easjer
11-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I remember the TV crew reviewing the shot and then changing their statement of bad call to a great catch. But the dog was tryig to chew on my hair, so I was distracted.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
"A couple of plays were questionable," Stoudemire said. "I feel like I was playing pretty good defense on Tim. But he was struggling so the officials got him going. I guess that happens when you're a superstar in this league."

:wtf Yo, Amare, you got lit up by Fabricio Oberto. Shut the fuck up.

Winnipeg_Spur
11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
WTF? First Amare is saying what an honour it is to play against a player like Duncan and now he's whining and talking like a conspiracy theorist on a message board. That good sportsmanship sure disappeared fast.

Spurs did catch a break on the 6th Amare foul, however. It was close, but the clock definitely hit 0 with the ball in the air, before Stoudamire had possession.

diego
11-09-2006, 06:18 PM
i thought amare got screwed at first but he definitely had control of the ball before the 24 seconds were up. parker just played him with that steal.