PDA

View Full Version : Okla State upgrading schedules

MajorMike
11-09-2006, 11:34 AM
As I talked about in the earlier thread with samikey, OSU making lots of new deals for future schedules. Houston is a 2-for-1 after all, as is Rice, Tulsa, and La-La. New home-at-homes are UGA, Clem, Zona, NCState. I haven't heard but I think Troy is a 2-for-1 as well.

2007 opener: OSU at Georgia
By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
11/9/2006

2009 season begins with Bulldogs' visit to Stillwater.
In a deal brokered by ESPN, Oklahoma State will open the 2007 football season at Georgia.

In the 2009 opener, in the first game played at the completely renovated Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Georgia will visit the Cowboys.

The two-game contract was finalized on Wednesday, after Cowboy coach Mike Gundy approved the deal.

"I think it says a lot about our coaches' confidence in what kind of job they're doing, what kind of athletes we're recruiting and what the future is for our football program," OSU athletic director Mike Holder said. "I don't know what the reaction of the fans will be. I hope it's positive. I know I'm excited.

"I think this makes a statement about how we feel about our football program and what direction we're headed with it."

The Cowboys will visit Athens, Ga., on Sept. 1, 2007. The Bulldogs of the Southeastern Conference play their home games in 92,746-seat Sanford Stadium.

Oklahoma State and Georgia are matched for the first time in 60 years. At Athens in 1946, Georgia prevailed 33-13. In 1947, the Bulldogs won 20-7 at Stillwater.

In May, OSU and the University of Tulsa agreed on a three-game football contract. The Golden Hurricane plays at Stillwater in 2010 and 2012, while the Cowboys visit Skelly Stadium in 2011. OSU associate athletic director Dave Martin, who oversees football scheduling, also has secured nonconference meetings with Arizona (2011 in Stillwater, 2012 in Tucson), North Carolina State (2014 in Raleigh, 2015 in Stillwater) and Clemson (2017 in Clemson, S.C.; 2018 in Stillwater).

"We have a philosophy in scheduling," Martin said. "As we think that our program progresses, we're going to continually upgrade the schedule. That's exactly what we've done. It's starting to all fall together."

It is believed that Hawaii and Oregon State may be added to OSU's nonconference schedules.

At the request of Rice officials, OSU's 2007 game at Rice recently was canceled. That resulted in a vacancy on the Cowboy schedule, and that led to OSU's two-game arrangement with Georgia.

As a reward for having accepted the trip to Georgia, ESPN officials have guaranteed OSU two additional ESPN exposures during the 2007 season.

Gundy said he would not comment on future schedules until the 2006 season is completed. The Cowboys (5-4 overall, 2-3 Big 12) host Baylor (4-6, 3-3) at 11:30 a.m. Saturday. The game is televised by Fox Sports Net. If OSU prevails, it will become bowl eligible for the fourth time in five seasons.

OKLAHOMA STATE FOOTBALL
2007 Schedule

Sept. 1: at Georgia
Sept. 8: Florida Atlantic
Sept. 15: at Troy (Ala.)
Sept. 22: Texas Tech
Sept. 29: Sam Houston State
Oct. 6: at Texas A&M
Oct. 13: at Nebraska
Oct. 20:Kansas State
Oct. 27: at Oklahoma
Nov. 3: Texas
Nov. 10:Kansas
Nov. 17: at Baylor

Note: Depending on TV schedules the OSU-OU game could be moved to a later date.

Future nonconference opponents

(With team, year and site)

Georgia: 2007 (Athens), 2009 (Stillwater)

Houston: 2008 (Stillwater), 2009 (Stillwater)

Rice: 2009 (Stillwater), 2012 (Stillwater)

Tulsa: 2010 (Stillwater), 2011 (Tulsa), 2012 (Stillwater)

Louisiana-Lafayette: 2010 (Lafayette), 2011 (Stillwater), 2012 (Stillwater)

Arizona: 2011 (Stillwater), 2012 (Tucson)

North Carolina State: 2014 (Raleigh), 2015 (Stillwater)

Clemson: 2017 (Clemson, S.C.), 2018 (Stillwater)

samikeyp
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Good to hear. I like to see schools step up like this.

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Good to hear. I like to see schools step up like this.

I have to say, that was always one of the things that I loved about Spike Dykes at Tech -- say what you will, but Spike was willing to play anyone, anywhere. Between 1987 and 1997, under Spike, the Red Raiders had non-conference games with Florida State, Arizona (when the Wildcats were nationally ranked), Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Miami, Oregon, NC State, Nebraska, Georgia, Penn State, and Tennessee.

1987: at #2 Florida State, Colorado State, Lamar, Tulsa
1988: North Texas, at Arizona, Lamar, #12 Oklahoma State
1989: #20 Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma State
1990: at #18 Ohio State, at New Mexico, #8 Miami
1991: Cal State Fullerton, Oregon, at Wyoming
1992: #15 Oklahoma, Wyoming, at Oregon, at #25 NC State
1993: Pacific, at #9 Nebraska, at Georgia, NC State
1994: New Mexico, #1 Nebraska, at #21 Oklahoma, SW Louisiana
1995: at #4 Penn State, Missouri, Arkansas State, at New Mexico
1996: at Georgia, Utah State, SW Louisiana
1997: at #5 Tennessee, SW Louisiana, North Texas

They didn't often win those games (they were 19-20 in non-conference games during that stretch and 1-11 against ranked non-conference opponents), but they certainly didn't shy away from playing anyone.

samikeyp
11-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Very true....Spike would play anyone anywhere.....He is a coach I miss....Spike was funny as hell.

Brutalis
11-09-2006, 03:49 PM
@ Georgia is not much of a step up folks.

If you don't know already the Bullfrogs fell off the deep end in talent.

MajorMike
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Very true....Spike would play anyone anywhere.....He is a coach I miss....Spike was funny as hell.

In the 1996-1997 timeframe, the Texas Tech athletic department endured a huge scandal. It involved bogus grade changes and similar practices, which caused dozens of ineligible players, in several different sports over seven years, to incorrectly appear to be eligible. Texas Tech was required to report on what went wrong and what they felt the punishment should be, as is standard practice for NCAA infractions. The NCAA will often accept the self-imposed penalties, or sometimes add to them if they believe that what the school recommended for their own punishment was not sufficient.

1996 was 7-5, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to use of 7 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1995 was 9-3, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 14 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1994 was 6-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 16 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1993 was 6-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 21 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1992 was 5-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 13 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1991 was 6-5, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 5 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1990 was 4-7. Texas Tech has admitted to one ineligible player but has not specified whether any wins were affected.

samikeyp
11-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Thank you, Byron Hanspard.

Hey Cap....you didn't answer my question on what a bandwagoner is. What's your take?

MajorMike
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM

Wow... man's team goes from 5-6 and 4-7 last 2 years and hasn't had a 10-win season since 1989, and he is suddenly dissing a team that has been 13-1, 11-3, 10-2, 10-3 last 4 (the 10th best team overall in the NCAA the last 10 years), because they are a disappointing 6-4 this year.

I say you give it a few year before you bury the reigning SEC Champs, who have appeared in 3 of the past 4 SEC Championship games - losing once to eventual BCS chump lsu and winning 2 times, including thumping arKansas handily 30-3 in one of those wins.

How many SEC Championships does arKansas have, again?

MajorMike
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Thank you, Byron Hanspard.

Hey Cap....you didn't answer my question on what a bandwagoner is. What's your take?

Yes.. I did.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2006, 04:58 PM
In the 1996-1997 timeframe, the Texas Tech athletic department endured a huge scandal. It involved bogus grade changes and similar practices, which caused dozens of ineligible players, in several different sports over seven years, to incorrectly appear to be eligible. Texas Tech was required to report on what went wrong and what they felt the punishment should be, as is standard practice for NCAA infractions. The NCAA will often accept the self-imposed penalties, or sometimes add to them if they believe that what the school recommended for their own punishment was not sufficient.

1996 was 7-5, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to use of 7 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1995 was 9-3, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 14 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1994 was 6-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 16 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1993 was 6-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 21 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1992 was 5-6, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 13 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1991 was 6-5, but Texas Tech forfeited all wins due to the use of 5 ineligible football players (for the entire season).
1990 was 4-7. Texas Tech has admitted to one ineligible player but has not specified whether any wins were affected.

What does any of that have to do with the quality of the opponents that Tech scheduled during that time?

I'm not trying to say that Tech is a model athletic program, just noting that there was a time when the Red Raiders played one of the best non-conference football schedules in D-1.

I guess you see that as some opportunity to pile on through non-sequitur.

Well done!

MajorMike
11-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Perhaps reading the quote it was aimed at would help? Spike knowingly let ineligible players play. For 7 years.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Perhaps reading the quote it was aimed at would help? Spike knowingly let ineligible players play. For 7 years.

You're right. My bad.

Apologies for my misplaced diatribe.

samikeyp
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes.. I did.

Actually I rephrased...you were assuming I was speaking of OSU-OU, I clarified that I was speaking in general and re-asked. That was the last post.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53081&page=2

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
How is it that ESPN is guaranteeing them appearances when the Big 12 doesn't even have a contract with ESPN?

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Wow... man's team goes from 5-6 and 4-7 last 2 years and hasn't had a 10-win season since 1989, and he is suddenly dissing a team that has been 13-1, 11-3, 10-2, 10-3 last 4 (the 10th best team overall in the NCAA the last 10 years), because they are a disappointing 6-4 this year.

I say you give it a few year before you bury the reigning SEC Champs, who have appeared in 3 of the past 4 SEC Championship games - losing once to eventual BCS chump lsu and winning 2 times, including thumping arKansas handily 30-3 in one of those wins.

How many SEC Championships does arKansas have, again?

I KNEW this dumbshit was coming.

We're talking about now kiddo. Not last year. Not 20 years ago. Not anything but now and the future. Whatever point you tried making didn't come to the surface for that reason.

Considering I follow the SEC I CAN talk. Georgia sucks, they will suck next year and I don't know about the year after that depends on recruiting.

Point is - OSU scheduled Georgia why? Cause of their reputation. Not because the have a good team cause, that they don't.

MajorMike
11-11-2006, 11:01 AM

We're talking about now kiddo. Not last year. Not 20 years ago. Not anything but now and the future. Whatever point you tried making didn't come to the surface for that reason.

Considering I follow the SEC I CAN talk. Georgia sucks, they will suck next year and I don't know about the year after that depends on recruiting.

Point is - OSU scheduled Georgia why? Cause of their reputation. Not because the have a good team cause, that they don't.

Point I made was very valid and factual. Again, you can predict and say you know and I can show numbers and facts. I guess you know it all. I'm sure you knew that after being preseason top 5 and not going to a Bowl last year that Tenn would be back this year. I can see by you logic that we are talking NOW, a team that wins the BCS 4 years in a row and has a 8-4 season sucks, because it is the here and now. That's lots of barking from someone being an arK fan, waiting for a year when they are pretty decent. Again, by your logic, you sucked last year and the year before that, and since you haven't had a top 20 recruiting class in the last 6 years (at least) you will most likely suck again next year.

I can see where it is very clear the #10 team the past 10 years and #5 team the past 4 years (based on winning percentage) will suck next year. So very clear. I can also see where the school is going down hill, with recruitment rankings going from #3 in 2002 to #6 in 2003 to #6 (04) #10 (05) #4 (06) and currently #3 for 07.

UGA has a starting true Frosh QB and so far has had 8 season ending injuries to starters, including their #1 RB. They currently don't have any WRs available to play and are having to swap positions just to put people on the field.

As to you last point, OSU scheduled UGA because E$PN put it together.

Georgia athletics officials used ESPN to help look for a game, and the network had a part in making the Oklahoma State matchup, so both games will air on ESPN.

Moral of the story is, its easy to squak when your team in doing well. Let's revisit this time next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how ESPN is promising OSU games without having a contract with the B12.

MajorMike
11-11-2006, 11:33 PM

Wow. Auburn must REALLY suck, then.

I'm still waiting for you to explain to me how ESPN is promising OSU games without having a contract with the B12.

Do I look like I work for E$PN?

I am assuming Troy and FAU will be on. When we went to FAU 2 or 3 years back it was the opening Thurs nite game. They can put us on with any non-conf team if they are allowed to be on E$PN.

MajorMike
11-28-2006, 09:39 AM

Wow... 2 wins in a row over Top 15 teams. They suck BAD.

They worst part is, when arK loses to Fla in the SEC game, UGA will have only one less loss than arKy. Talk about sucky.

johngateswhiteley
11-28-2006, 09:54 AM

you're unreal....you really are. in a time when many schools schedule pathetic division 1 teams or even 1-AA teams for non-conference games, any team that schedules a team in the top 50 deserves credit. let alone a team that is NO DOUBT top 25.

this comment is as funny as you saying LSU wouldn't be any good this year. i am so glad USC and LSU punked you guys at home this year....ha ha. btw, A&M opens up @ Miami next year....i bet you'll have some stupid comment about how that won't be a tough game or mean anything.

Capt. Mike,
...your signature is almost coming to fruition, all A&M has to do is win their bowl and they will finish in the top 20.

MajorMike
11-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Yeah, but the 2nd part wasn't. Lost to both, but that's not how the quote reads.

Holmes_Fans
11-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I think UGA will be pretty good next year. All this year they were dealing with injuries at QB and was playing ring around the rosey with quarterbacks. Matt Stafford will be the #1 man next year.

MajorMike
11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Considering I follow the SEC I CAN talk.

Problem is you can't talk, apparently. Ssshhh, we don't want to wakeup the sleeping piggies.

johngateswhiteley
11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but the 2nd part wasn't. Lost to both, but that's not how the quote reads.

...true, it wasn't in "no chance in hell" fashion, but it still happened.

MajorMike
11-29-2006, 11:24 AM
So the quote was incorrect, as was my predication.

johngateswhiteley
11-29-2006, 01:18 PM
So the quote was incorrect, as was my predication.

no, you were wrong. you predicted ok state to win one of those games...i said no chance in hell. and while the games were closer than i thought, my statement still proved CORRECT! you were wrong....i was right. a win is a win is a win, bitch.

MajorMike
11-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Chance implies chance.

If a win is a win, then you had no chance in hell of winning the uo game or the Neb game or the tek game for that matter.

MajorMike
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM

One last recap.

UGA 9-4; they suck, according to brut, and ended the year by beating a ranked team 3 weeks in a row (a 1st)
arKy 10-4; they must suck just a little less, apparently, and end the year by losing 3 in a row

Also, UGA is currently ranked 7th in football signees while arKy is 39th.

I'm glad I know nothing about the SEC, because it seems to me that the team on the way down next year will be arKy, not UGA.