PDA

View Full Version : Up-and-coming Aggies sign recruits Jordan, Holmes, Walkup

Jimcs50
11-09-2006, 02:59 PM
A package deal for A&M
Up-and-coming Aggies sign local recruits Jordan, Holmes, Walkup

By SAM KHAN JR. and JENNY DIAL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Aldine forward Gary Johnson on signing with Texas The Texas A&M basketball program took a big step in the right direction last season by qualifying for the NCAA Tournament. The Aggies took another step forward on the first day of the fall early signing period by bringing in some top Houston-area talent.

Life Christian center DeAndre Jordan, Hastings guard B.J. Holmes and Deer Park forward Nathan Walkup signed national letters of intent and joined Tulsa Union guard Derrek Lewis as Texas A&M signees.

The 7-0 Jordan is Rivals.com's top-rated basketball recruit in Texas, while the 6-6 Walkup is ranked ninth and the 5-10 Holmes 16th. :smokin

"I think there's a bright future (at Texas A&M)," Holmes said. "It's very exciting with me, DeAndre, Nathan and Derrick Lewis signing. We'll be very strong when we get there next year."

Jimcs50
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Gillespie does it again.

This team will be a very good one for years to come it looks like.

I cannot wait til tomorrow night when I see their 1st game at Reed.

Ballcox
11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
^Hey, signing big time recruits is great, so props to a&m. But as you'll soon discover, there is a flip side. These kids don't stay long in college and are soon departed to the NBA or to play somewhere else for $$. Makes it hard to develop a real team when guys don't stay long. But it is exciting as hell to bring those types of players in.

Jimcs50
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
^Hey, signing big time recruits is great, so props to a&m. But as you'll soon discover, there is a flip side. These kids don't stay long in college and are soon departed to the NBA or to play somewhere else for $$. Makes it hard to develop a real team when guys don't stay long. But it is exciting as hell to bring those types of players in.

We have never had to deal with that problem before, so it is refreshing.

:)

Ballcox
11-09-2006, 04:09 PM
^ I know what you mean, we had a few when Penders was with UT, but Barnes has really brought in the big time recruits on a much more consistent basis. So, on one side you love getting these kids because of what they can do for your program, but then on the other side you're always wondering how long they stay. In the end I go with Barnes and his assessment of recruiting these kids, if you're not getting them to play for your program then you're probably playing against them at some point, which do you prefer? So, even if it's only one season, you hope they can blend in and be a big part of the team, then you just pray to God that they come back for at least a 2nd season! :lol

samikeyp
11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I am all for the Horns and Ags ruling the Big XII.

sghspurs
11-09-2006, 06:35 PM
^
Amen to that!!

Cant_Be_Faded
11-09-2006, 07:20 PM
:wakeup