PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Popovich happy for Stoudemire

Taco
11-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Spurs notebook: Popovich happy for Stoudemire

Web Posted: 11/09/2006 12:20 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Few players have troubled the Spurs in recent years more than Amare Stoudemire did before he underwent knee surgery.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, however, is glad to see Stoudemire back on the court.

"The league is about players, and the league is about players people want to pay and come and see," Popovich said. "He's one of them. When he hasn't even had his career yet, and he gets an injury like that, it's a lose-lose for everybody.

"Nobody's happy about that. Teams that win want to beat other teams that are whole because that's when it means something. So everybody hopes that he gets back to his original status."

Stoudemire played only three games last season and came off the bench the first four games of this season. But even before stepping onto the court Wednesday night, he thought he was getting closer to regaining the form that made him one of the NBA's more high-powered players.

"I think my conditioning is right there," Stoudemire said. "I'm not that far out. It is just the fifth game of the season. My explosiveness feels good."

After watching Stoudemire score 14 points in 12 first-half minutes, the Spurs would have to agree.

Impersonating Duncan: The Suns had just finished their morning shootaround at the AT&T Center, but former Spurs forward-center Sean Marks spent the next five minutes impersonating Tim Duncan for the benefit of Stoudemire.

Having played against Duncan in practice for two full seasons, Marks knows Duncan's game, inside and out. Signed by the Suns in August, Marks was doing what he could to prepare Stoudemire for his head-to-head matchup with Duncan.

"Like that's really going to help Amare," Marks said, laughing. "Everybody knows what Tim does, and he just keeps doing it anyway."

One of the most popular Spurs during his two seasons on the roster, Marks said it felt strange walking into the visitors' locker room, especially after having had dinner with Duncan, Manu Ginobili and their wives the previous evening.

"My wife, Jen, was out here, too," Marks said. "We caught up on some old times and had a few laughs. It was great to see those guys again."

Marks feels fortunate to have landed in Phoenix, playing in the Suns' system.

"I'm lucky," he said. "I came from a great spot, and now I'm with another great organization. Their personnel in the front office and on the team are great. I'm just trying to fit in, learn the new system."

Marks understands the Suns' style is perfect for his game.

"Run and shoot; run and shoot," Marks said. "I like that a lot. Hopefully, it will be a good fit. I'm just waiting to get my feet wet a little bit."

Marks was on the inactive list for Wednesday's game.

Briefly: Robert Horry returned after missing Monday's game against New York with neck spasms. ... Brent Barry was the first player off the bench Wednesday, taking Michael Finley's place in the rotation. ... Suns guard Steve Nash suffered a hip strain during the first quarter but still played nearly 35 minutes, including all five minutes of the overtime. ... Phoenix starting small forward Raja Bell suffered a bruised rib in a collision with Ginobili with 51.6 seconds left in overtime. X-rays were negative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
Staff writer Mike Monroe contributed to this report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110906.04C.BKNspurs.notebook.364ec8a.html