PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sustained Excellence A Thing of Beauty

Behrooz24
11-09-2006, 10:32 PM
http://spurs.realgm.com/articles/55/20061109/spurs_sustained_excellence_a_thing_of_beauty/

Spurs Sustained Excellence A Thing of Beauty

Authored by Jason M. Williams - 9th November, 2006 - 3:34 pm

As we are beginning to see the unraveling of the great Detroit Pistons team that has battled its way to the Eastern Conference Finals for the past four seasons, it’s more important to take notice of how there has been one team that has been able to sustain its continued dominance over a span of nearly two decades: the San Antonio Spurs. The Spurs have incredibly only missed the playoffs once since the 1989-90 NBA season, which only occurred as a result of losing star center David Robinson for the season after only six games in 1996-97. They finished the season a franchise-worst 20-62 and ended up with the third-worst record in the league. Luckily for them, this injury to their marquee player couldn’t have come at a better time.

They landed the first overall pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, which happened to be the number-one consensus All-American standout Tim Duncan, out of Wake Forest University. Since his arrival, the Spurs have won a minimum of 53 games per season and taken home three NBA championships (including the strike-shortened season of 1999, in which the Spurs eventually won the NBA title after a 37-13 regular season and 11-1 postseason). Along the way, they have added key components to their squad with late-round sleeper picks including Manu Ginobili with the 57th pick in 1999 and Tony Parker with the 28th pick in 2001. The Spurs ability to stick with its core players, rather than chase the premier free agent on the market, has enabled them to build a winning ball club each year.

What makes this sustained excellence more incredible is their ability to cycle key role players in and out of their lineup year-in and year-out. They currently have all three of their superstars in the middle of their prime, Duncan (30), Ginobili (28), and Parker (24) signed through the 2010 season, and all at reasonable contracts that allow for maximum cap flexibility. This masterpiece has been painted by super-GM R.C. Buford, who in his four years at the helm of the franchise has four playoff appearances, three division titles, and two world championships. His ability to lock up his core players long-term has separated the Spurs from the rest of the league. More importantly, his ingenuity to acquire key components that fit perfectly into head coach Gregg Popovich’s scheme has been flawless. From Stephen Jackson to Malik Rose, from Robert Horry to Nazr Mohammad, from Bruce Bowen to Brent Barry, the Spurs have complimented their original draft gems with role players who have fit into the system perfectly and helped produce multiple championships over a sustained period of time.

Conversely, their adversary of the 2005 NBA Finals is now slowly losing its grip on duplicating a Spurs-like dynasty out East. While the Pistons established arguably one of the strongest starting five the league has ever seen, it is now facing the loss of its heart and soul, defensive menace Ben Wallace and floor general Chauncey Billups, in consecutive seasons. Detroit GM Joe Dumars’ recent inability to negotiate reasonable contract extensions has seen Wallace spurn the team for the rival and hated Chicago Bulls, while it appears now that Billups might also seek greener pastures this off-season by opting out of his midlevel-valued contract in attempt to land a maximum deal. The only way to retain Billups at the end of this season will be if Dumars steps to the plate with a maximum deal, which will bring the aging Pistons face-to-face with the luxury tax threshold, with extremely limited flexibility to improve in the near future.

The Spurs, on the other hand, have avoided offering long-term lavish deals to its departing role players like free agent Nazr Mohammad and traded Rasho Nesterovic. Rather than pay Mohammad $30M for the next five years (Detroit), and Nesterovic $23.5M for the next three (Toronto), the Spurs chose to stick it out with original draft pick Fabricio Oberto, 21-yr-old free agent prospect Jackie Butler, and free agent Francisco Elson, all for the next two years at a combined $16M (with Butler having a third year approaching $3M). It is this financial substitution that allows the Spurs to stay competitive year after year, while maintaining the quality and core of his team.

Despite the revolving door locker room around centerpieces Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, the Spurs continue to find ways to win. Their victory over the Knicks at a raucous Madison Square Garden on the second night of back-to-back road games was a prime example of their professionalism and winning experience. They dominated the entire game, led by as many as 23, yielded a Knick comeback that shrunk their lead down to one due to their lack of interest in the game, and ultimately persevered to win by 12 points. Their ability to flip the switch from lackadaisical boredom into utter supremacy and unyielding confidence is something very few teams have been able to produce over extended periods of time. The Spurs have been the best NBA team when it comes to sustaining excellence over the past decade, and it appears certain it will continue for at least another four years.

Jason M. Williams can be reached at [email protected] for comments.

1Parker1
11-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Their ability to flip the switch from lackadaisical boredom into utter supremacy and unyielding confidence is something very few teams have been able to produce over extended periods of time.

It's also something that hurts them often.

Looking at other teams with slow/unusual starts this season, Dallas, Miami, Suns, etc. it really does make you realize how consistently good the Spurs have been all these years in the Duncan era. It's rare to find that in an NBA team these days, when superstars are traded left and right and organizations go through so many changes in management.

wildbill2u
11-09-2006, 11:42 PM
So many other teams, including the Suns and the Knicks most recently, simply don't have the ability and the confidence to 'lock down' the other team in the 4th quarter and assert themselves.

True, the Spurs can sometimes fail to produce the 4th quarter surge, but by and large they are a team that knows what it takes to win at the end of the game and the ability to do it.

milkyway21
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
It's also something that hurts them often.

Looking at other teams with slow/unusual starts this season, Dallas, Miami, Suns, etc. it really does make you realize how consistently good the Spurs have been all these years in the Duncan era. It's rare to find that in an NBA team these days, when superstars are traded left and right and organizations go through so many changes in management.
KG, Dirk and Pierce didn't change teams since their draft but they are still ringless. Duncan's capability to mesh well with any player who comes to sign with S.A. Spurs is something. He didn't have the same group of players surrounding him in his entire career as a Spur but still he finds ways to blend well with anybody to help this team. It's his personality not to trash a rookie or a newcomer who still learning the system i find amazing. He's considerate.

KG went into war with Marbury once.

Dirk was mad at Dampier during the 2005 playoff vs the Suns for not helping enough.

The S.A. locker room must be surrounded with something more-camaraderie? solidarity? Plus we don't allow prima donnas :dramaquee here.

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Honestly makes me proud to be a life long Spurs fan.

flipcritic
11-10-2006, 12:50 AM
You know, having unselfish Superstar big men like Timmy and David Robinson make it look all so easier than it really is. :) Whatever it is, Lord let it keep on rollin.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Honestly makes me proud to be a life long Spurs fan.

Me too. Most professional organisation, top to bottom, in sports.

Having leaders like Tim and David hasn't hurt. ;)

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Me too. Most professional organisation, top to bottom, in sports.

Having leaders like Tim and David hasn't hurt. ;)
Yep.

But on a serious, personal level.

I don't know about other Spurs fans but I do not have to argue why I think my team is the best. I don't have to get in some long debate and bitch about why the Spurs are this and that and accomplished this or that.

This team speaks for itself. San Antonio Spurs give the fans more than we ever imagined and if we don't win a title for another whatever years I will be greatful for these years on top.

Few teams or fans get to experience this and we are in it right now.

Hillcrest
11-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Yep.

I don't know about other Spurs fans but I do not have to argue why I think my team is the best. I don't have to get in some long debate and bitch about why the Spurs are this and that and accomplished this or that.

This team speaks for itself. San Antonio Spurs give the fans more than we ever imagined and if we don't win a title for another whatever years I will be greatful for these years on top.

hear, hear!

SpursIndonesia
11-11-2006, 03:15 AM
........the Spurs chose to stick it out with original draft pick Fabricio Oberto..........

He's not a paid professional writer, right ? If so, that's forgiven. ;)

Nice read BTW, plenty things happen in a right way for this franchise, like every stars are aligned right for them time after time. Can't really argue with that. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Yep.

Well said, sir. I feel exactly the same way.

Nice read BTW, plenty things happen in a right way for this franchise, like every stars are aligned right for them time after time. Can't really argue with that.

Yes, the Duncan draft was definitely lucky, but most of the other conditions that have led to the Spurs' success have been a result not of luck, but arising from good judgement, good decisions, good business and a generally positive culture in the organisation. A little bit of luck combined with professionalism and hard work goes a long way! :smokin

SuperManu!!!
11-11-2006, 12:51 PM
The spurs are done in 5 years....when duncan manu horry and bowen will be gone, only parker will be left and I don't see any young good drafted player on the roster

whottt
11-11-2006, 01:26 PM
The spurs are done in 5 years....when duncan manu horry and bowen will be gone, only parker will be left and I don't see any young good drafted player on the roster

It happens....

But let's wait and see what happens with Butler and Mahnimi...

Mahnimi has Camby and even Drob upside....

Butler has the skills to be a well above average C.

Both have desire, and Mahnimi in particular has a strong work ethic...bigmen with desire are always factors.

Plus...having Parker is going to be huge...Parker is going to be a monster, actually he already is....and he's still 4 years away from his prime.

Not to mention that I could also see Duncan still being around and being effective in 5 years...just depends on if he wants to keep playing.

In 5 years Duncan will be as old as Shaq is now...

timvp
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
It happens....

But let's wait and see what happens with Butler and Mahnimi...

Mahnimi has Camby and even Drob upside....

Butler has the skills to be a well above average C.

Both have desire, and Mahnimi in particular has a strong work ethic...bigmen with desire are always factors.

Plus...having Parker is going to be huge...Parker is going to be a monster, actually he already is....and he's still 4 years away from his prime.

Not to mention that I could also see Duncan still being around and being effective in 5 years...just depends on if he wants to keep playing.

That's a good point. I remember back when Shaq was 26-27 and people said that he'd never be able to play past the age of 30 because his knees wouldn't be able to support his weight for that long.

If any current bigman could be effective into his 40's it would be Tim Duncan. He's not exactly an athletic monster now. As long as he avoids major injury, I think he can play as long as he wants to.

Heck, DRob had a major injury and many outside interests and he played until he was 38.

Zunni
11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
And two years younger than David was when he was forced to retire with his terrible back. Tim could, and will play for as much of the next decade as he choses to.

mardigan
11-11-2006, 02:30 PM
What, when Tony is 29 and averaging 30? When Tim is 35 and still productive? You never know what kind of players we will bring in between now and 5 years down the road, so you cant say they will be done. Pieces will be put around Tony at that point, and White and Butler are both young, not to mention Mahinmi. We never saw Duncan coming the year before we sucked

Dave McNulla
11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
spurs were 15-2 in the playoffs of '99. i can't remember when 11 wins was enough to seal a championship.

baseline bum
11-11-2006, 08:00 PM
The Spurs ability to stick with its core players, rather than chase the premier free agent on the market, has enabled them to build a winning ball club each year

I don't know about that one. The Spurs made hard pushes for Webber in 2001 and Kidd in 2003, not to mention Finley in 2001 and a desperate attempt at Grant Hill in 2000 when it looked like Tim was leaving.

Don Quixote
11-11-2006, 11:16 PM
KG, Dirk and Pierce didn't change teams since their draft but they are still ringless. Duncan's capability to mesh well with any player who comes to sign with S.A. Spurs is something. He didn't have the same group of players surrounding him in his entire career as a Spur but still he finds ways to blend well with anybody to help this team. It's his personality not to trash a rookie or a newcomer who still learning the system i find amazing. He's considerate.

KG went into war with Marbury once.

Dirk was mad at Dampier during the 2005 playoff vs the Suns for not helping enough.

The S.A. locker room must be surrounded with something more-camaraderie? solidarity? Plus we don't allow prima donnas :dramaquee here.

True, Tim's a great leader and teammate, but let's cut these other guys some slack!

KG ... woudn't you go to war with Step-on Marbury? Marbury is a loser and a prima donna. And it his attitude that makes every team that he ends up on want to trade him. I'd rather have Kevin Ollie as my point than Marbury.

Dirk ... can you blame him for getting mad at Dampier? Dampier is a stiff. ACtually, I'd get mad at Cuban for actually giving Dampier all that $$$$.

So, yes, I agree with you, but it's not like KG and Dirk are without just cause.

Don Quixote
11-11-2006, 11:25 PM
[url]

Conversely, their adversary of the 2005 NBA Finals is now slowly losing its grip on duplicating a Spurs-like dynasty out East. While the Pistons established arguably one of the strongest starting five the league has ever seen ...

Umm ... yeah. I'm sure they'd have their way with the 86 Celtics, or the Showtime Lakers, or the 2000 Lakers for that matter!

The Sixers of the early 80s ...
The Celtics of the 60s ...
The Suns and Sonics of the early to mid 90s ...
I'm sure their starters would have handled Michael and the Bulls, circa 1997.
Shoot, they'd have swept even the 99, 03, and 05 Spurs! (Oh what? The Spurs beat em?)

I'm sure the starting lineups trotted out by recent Pistons teams could have handled the übertalented 80s Mavericks and 90s Rockets, no problem!

Right :drunk

Nero
11-11-2006, 11:39 PM

TP's game is based almost entirely on quickness, so I think he's in his prime right now. Prolly wont' improve much.

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
True, Tim's a great leader and teammate, but let's cut these other guys some slack!

KG ... woudn't you go to war with Step-on Marbury? Marbury is a loser and a prima donna. And it his attitude that makes every team that he ends up on want to trade him. I'd rather have Kevin Ollie as my point than Marbury.

Dirk ... can you blame him for getting mad at Dampier? Dampier is a stiff. ACtually, I'd get mad at Cuban for actually giving Dampier all that $$$$.

So, yes, I agree with you, but it's not like KG and Dirk are without just cause.okay thanks for pointing it out to me.

but there was a time when Rasho sucked too, :rolleyes and i didn't hear a thing from Duncan. Hey what do you think, Is Timmy normal or he just respects his teammates too much he's always willing to wait?
ShaQ, when the lakers lost too many games before (i don't remember what yr that was), trashed his teammates for not playing their heart out which includes Horry. Maybe this is the right thing a leader supposed to do when his team is losing? Or Duncan better stick to his usual ways to win more titles?

ducks
11-11-2006, 11:54 PM
what the heck are you smoking
his outside shooting is over 50% right now outside of 17 feet
that is great
his game is not based as much on his quickness as it once was

Nero
11-12-2006, 12:29 AM
what the heck are you smoking
his outside shooting is over 50% right now outside of 17 feet
that is great
his game is not based as much on his quickness as it once was

Yeah, because saying TP's game is almost entirely based on his quickness is OUTRAGEOUS. Afterall, he's played 6 WHOLE games and his outside shooting is SMOKING!

Okay, seriously, most people would agree with what I said. He's been shooting very good this year, but those shots are wide open. Why? Because nobody respects his shots. They back off of him because they fear his blazing speed. Common knowledge. If he keeps it up, word will for sure get out that he can shoot and he'll be guarded differently. That will be the test.

He could develop intangible smarts and continue to get better, but who knows about that. He could also keep shooting lights out and not lose much quickness (ala Iverson) for years.

I just don't think he'll get much better. Players that dramatically improve usually benefit from phsyical growth. For a PG getting stronger won't do him much good and he won't get taller or quicker.

Not to take away anything from TP. He's a great player.