PDA

View Full Version : could the spurs start be any better?

ducks
11-09-2006, 11:01 PM
spurs have already beat suns and mavs this year
spurs usually start off slow are spurs peaking to soon
except for beating that james fellow

spurs usually start of slow
beating two of the tougest teams early have to give the spurs confidence :greedy

FromWayDowntown
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not worried about confidence; getting a road win against Dallas and the early win against Phoenix could prove monsterous in terms of gaining division titles and conference seeding based on tiebreakers.

The start could be better, but it's certainly not bad.

whottt
11-09-2006, 11:11 PM
We could have not lost to the Cavs...that would have been better.

whottt
11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
BTW....

Ask a stupid question forum!

K-State Spur
11-09-2006, 11:12 PM
i'm just interested in how they are playing. team got off to a decent start last season & set the franchise record for wins, but never really had that moment (which usually seems to come on the rodeo trip) where things really started clicking and they looked like a championship caliber club.

there were some flashes last night where things were really clicking (and many moments where they were not).

ducks
11-09-2006, 11:14 PM
one thing about the start of the season is spurs seem to have found another player tp as a option late in the 4
I like the fact pop is doing that so if manu or tim get hurt or in foul trouble he has been doing some of that already

spurs need all three in playoffs but 3 options late in games in playoffs is better then 2
makes doubling manu or duncan not possible!

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Once you beat the Nuggets then you can say you had a good start :smokin

ducks
11-09-2006, 11:17 PM
spurs will not just beat the nuggets they will own them

CharlieMac
11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
We could have not lost to the Cavs...that would have been better.

Yeah. I'm not a rocket scientist or anything, but 5-0 is better than 4-1.

Just kidding. They're off to a great start. I don't think I like Lebron James though, so it would have been nice to beat the Cavs. God damn punk kid.

timvp
11-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Sure, they could be playing much better D. They could be rebounding better. They could have beat the Cavs. Tim could be hitting FT's. Finley/Horry could be hitting anything. But overall, they are better than I thought. I thought the bigs would be struggling more than they are.

--Kori

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Look pretty good so far. Sustained core rosters lately equal good starts, unlike days of yore.

Quasar
11-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Actually that James fellow's team seems to have improved a lot - 38 assists against the bulls tonight!!

Quite impressive when I was expecting the bulls to be the no1 in the East this year.

But the spurs are playing quite well and showing a lot of resilience, especially their mental toughness in clutch situations.

I guess the best surprise is that the centers are playing much better than expected.

Downside is that the rebounding still sucks.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2006, 01:35 AM
we always had good starts for teh season, usually 5-2 or 6-1.....im hopin we win 15-2 this month...

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Yeah it could have been better. 5-0 instead of 4-1.

:)

mavsfan1000
11-10-2006, 01:47 AM
spurs 4-1
mavs 1-4
suns 1-5 Can't ask for more of a better start than that.

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 01:48 AM
spurs 4-1
mavs 1-4
suns 1-5 Can't ask for more of a better start than that.

True.

Although I do not hate anything in this world, I hate, hate itself. I utterly dislike the Mavs. But I think they will get on a streak. Sooner or later. Too much talent.

Anyhoo.

George = Bust Mavs signing.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2006, 02:18 AM
mavs - KVH = LOSIN STREAK

seriously mavs are really missin KVH now, without him they are not the contender i see....KVH is the difference maker....

Amuseddaysleeper
11-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Sure, they could be playing much better D. They could be rebounding better. They could have beat the Cavs. Tim could be hitting FT's. Finley/Horry could be hitting anything. But overall, they are better than I thought. I thought the bigs would be struggling more than they are.

--Kori

:tu

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2006, 04:15 AM
our D is slowly picking up, give them a few more games till the new guyz know the system

we are still rank 5th on opponents PPG, and we are shit in reb and blocks this year....

easjer
11-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, the main points (winning all the games, better/more consistent defense, rebounds, etc.) have been touched on. I'll only add that the energy and urgency that many complained were lacking last season are here in full force. Not all the time, not every game, but overall, there is a sense of no nonsense, of getting business done.

I don't get the sense they'll be happy with a good regular season record. I worry a little about peaking too soon, but honestly, I think they'll just work out the kinks and keep on their way. They'll be ok if they keep this up, at least I hope so.

But also remember, while it's great to beat these teams, these teams have started out with awful records this season - they are not at the playoff level they were previously. I expect they'll get better, but while the Spurs can enjoy the wins, no one should be getting too comfortable right now. The other teams are too good to remain in this slump.

samikeyp
11-10-2006, 10:18 AM
True.

Although I do not hate anything in this world, I hate, hate itself. I utterly dislike the Mavs. But I think they will get on a streak. Sooner or later. Too much talent.

Anyhoo.

George = Bust Mavs signing.

I thought you hated the Longhorns! :p:

I think you are right though.....The Mavs has too much talent to stay down. I still say its going to be a dogfight to the end for the SW.

SenorSpur
11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Despite their good start, the Spurs are capable of playing even better than they are right now. They should be even better once Finley finds his rhythm, Manu shakes off his funk and the new acqusitions (Elson, Bonner, Vaughn, Williams) become better acclimated. Also, they should become a more versatile team as a result.

baseline bum
11-10-2006, 10:34 AM
The 4-1 isn't as impressive as it looks on paper to me. The biggest problem is that Manu looks like crap. Another major problem is the Spurs keep digging themselves holes, the same way they did vs Dallas last year. I love their ability to rally and finish games, but this always having to rally is what did the Lakers dynasty in. I'm very happy to see Beno looking great. Elson is much better than expected also. I'm still not sold on Oberto as the starting 5, and I hope Jackie Butler can start showing us something soon. Overall, I watch the team and they don't look like a championship team, and that's not going to change if Manu isn't attacking the hole and Tim doesn't get hi face-up game back.

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 10:36 AM
The Spurs may not look like a championship team, but by such an early metric, no team will win the trophy this year. Nobody looks that great.

tlongII
11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Who cares about the Spurs? How bout them Blazers? We're 3-2 and everybody thought we'd suck!

Fabbs
11-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Better then expected:
Elson I just hope his height, jumping and rebounding ability do not bother Pop too much.
Fabs 11-11 :elephant look at my handle, bandwaggoners.
Barry knew he would pick up where he finished the last half of '06. Even those of us who are not Findog nutt riders did not expect this much.

About what i expected:
Pop - The Greatest Offensive Coach of All Time showing his mettle by inserting Tim Duncan for the Phx foul shots. Almost snatching defeat from victory once again.
Manu Has looked very good when Spurs are not in 4 Dumb.
TParker looks great to me, i expected it. He looked great all last year before that Greatest Guy let him get hammered by Ron Artest.
Bowen looks good. Got punked by Lebron but so do a lot of players. His foot shuffle againt Francis was weak assed.
Beno. I keep catching him when he is on. Inconsistent.

Below:
Bonner. Expiring contract for trade bait? He is burning some deserving player out of a Spurs roster spot.
Horry
Findog. Captain Finley will be given more slack and playingtime then anyone by The Great Popattini. Altho Pops has let Barry stay in when he is 4-4 on threebies. Put that under surprised.

wildbill2u
11-10-2006, 11:39 AM
spurs have already beat suns and mavs this year
spurs usually start off slow are spurs peaking to soon

spurs usually start of slow
beating two of the tougest teams early have to give the spurs confidence :greedy
We've peaked too soon! :dizzy We're doomed. :spin

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Below:
Bonner. Expiring contract for trade bait? He is burning some deserving player out of a Spurs roster spot.
Horry
Findog. Captain Finley will be given more slack and playingtime then anyone by The Great Popattini. Altho Pops has let Barry stay in when he is 4-4 on threebies. Put that under surprised.

Bonner and Williams are roster vaccuums. But they were meant to be salary dumps, anyway. I see Bonner getting more time to see if he can contribute much this year. I'd expect him to be useful in spots. Williams, not at all.

MrChug
11-10-2006, 11:43 AM
While, I pay NO attention whatsoever to the fact that we beat the underachieving Mavs/PHX Suns (those teams are hurting and just playing BAD basketball-that game was torture to watch), I'm ecstatic with the Spurs start. They're playing with FAR more cohesion than I'm used to at the beginning of the season. You can tell they trust and like each other. Could some of our parts be contributing far more (*cough*Fin*Bob*), sure but they'll come around :)

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2006, 11:46 AM
we are on target to get 81-1