PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Deciding when to foul late in games can be tricky

TMTTRIO
11-10-2006, 01:12 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111006.07D.BKNspurs.notebook.3021272.html

Spurs: Deciding when to foul late in games can be tricky

Web Posted: 11/09/2006 10:32 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Most teams with a foul to give in the closing seconds of a quarter will use it to make their opponent inbound with less time on the clock rather than risk having the ball handler penetrate for a high-percentage shot.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, however, doesn't see the decision as that cut-and-dried.

Clinging to a one-point lead with 5.9 seconds left in Wednesday's fourth quarter, the Spurs didn't immediately foul after Phoenix inbounded on the left sideline. Raja Bell took the ball and drove past Fabricio Oberto into the lane until Oberto fouled him at the last moment to disrupt his layup.

Because Bell was shooting, he was awarded two free throws. Had he made both, the Suns almost certainly would have won.

The question is whether the Spurs should have tried to foul sooner to make the Suns run another play with about half as much time remaining.

"When you're in the heat of the battle and you're the player on the court, you have to make a decision as to whether he's about to shoot, get in motion or whether he's really on the dribble and the referee just gets to use his judgment," Popovich said. "When you have to depend on all that, it gets a little bit scary. There are times when it's appropriate.

"There was one point when we should have used (the foul), asked to use it and it didn't get used. But other than that, there were three or four other situations where none of us had the guts to do it."

The risk when facing a quick-shooting team like the Suns is that when a player reaches in to foul, the ball handler — who is usually expecting exactly that — might be savvy enough to rise in time for a shot attempt.

"Coaches stay up all night long talking about that, whether to do it, whether not to do it," Popovich said. "It's a long, long thought process."

The sequence worked out well enough for the Spurs, but only because Bell missed his second free throw.

Ginobili's revenge? Manu Ginobili took two hard shots to the face against Phoenix, but he was feeling better when he visited the Spurs' practice facility Thursday.

And he was certainly feeling better than Bell, who clubbed Ginobili across the nose at least once. Bell bruised his ribs after Ginobili plowed into him late in overtime for an offensive foul.

Bell couldn't play Thursday against Dallas and is expected to be out at least one more game.

Some of the Suns wondered if Ginobili's foul was in retaliation — "Make your own conclusion," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said — but Bell said he thought he was injured because he landed wrong.

Barry still looks impressive: Brent Barry, who didn't play in the season opener against Dallas, took Michael Finley's place in the rotation Wednesday.

Barry has made 12 of 15 3-pointers and is averaging 12.3 points. Finley has missed 29 of 38 shots.

Popovich thinks Finley — like Barry has in the past — sometimes has a tendency to press when he's not shooting well.

"He worries too much when his shot doesn't go down or when two in a row don't go down," Popovich said. "The good thing about it is they care, but I have to get him to not care so much and realize that that's going to happen and he has to keep firing."

Finley, who endured a much longer slump last season, doesn't seem to have lost his aggressiveness. Nor is he the only player struggling with his shot. Robert Horry is 1 for 13 for the season, Beno Udrih is 9 for 29, Bruce Bowen is 10 of 26 and Ginobili missed nine of his first 10 attempts Wednesday.

SequSpur
11-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Pop is not very bright when it comes to crunch time decisions. He's lost more than he has won during decision making time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Forget when to foul, I just wish he'd get smart enough to figure out that when the other team HAS to foul that he needs to put his best five free throw shooters on the damn floor.

ShoogarBear
11-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody asked him why Duncan was on the floor.

milkyway21
11-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised nobody asked him why Duncan was on the floor.:lol :lol

why not let Duncan inbound the ball then pass it to Parker, Manu, or Brent?

it's hard for me to imagine that your best player would be sitting on the bench in the last sec of the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-10-2006, 01:57 AM
See, Pop shouldn't rely on that fall-back line "it can be tricky" , for his crunch time inadequacies. He should acknowledge that you either go with the foul to give, or not! depending on the team--not give a nebulous answer alluding to hypothetical situations.
Own up to his crunch time flubs, he made some bad calls that game, but we got lucky breaks.
Had we not won, and Bell sunk the second free throw.. I wonder what he would be saying--his answer would probably be, "We should have given that foul earlier..." .

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2006, 02:18 AM
duncan = clutch i heard

milkyway21
11-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Own up to his crunch time flubs, he made some bad calls that game, but we got lucky breaks.
Had we not won, and Bell sunk the second free throw.. I wonder what he would be saying--his answer would probably be, "We should have given that foul earlier..." ... this reminds me of that .04 against the Lakers, is it possible for us to foul Derek before he hit that crucial:cuss shot? Correct me if I'm wrong. but I guess we still have one foul to spare before that. :ihit

gospursgojas
11-10-2006, 02:47 AM
We had a foul to give going into that possesion, no???

I think Oberto tried to foul when Bell got passed him and ended fouling on the shot, instead of on the floor.

diego
11-10-2006, 09:29 AM
could a mod please unlock that last thread by the suns troll so we can add bell saying he injured himself when he flo-uh, I mean, fell?

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-10-2006, 09:39 AM
.. this reminds me of that .04 against the Lakers, is it possible for us to foul Derek before he hit that crucial:cuss shot? Correct me if I'm wrong. but I guess we still have one foul to spare before that. :ihit
That's what I thought too.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-10-2006, 11:32 AM
.. this reminds me of that .04 against the Lakers, is it possible for us to foul Derek before he hit that crucial:cuss shot? Correct me if I'm wrong. but I guess we still have one foul to spare before that. :ihit

With that amount of time, I think any coach takes his chance with .4 instead of fouling because with less than a second on the clock the player receiving the ball is going to go immediately into a shot. If you foul there, you're sending them to the line.

But I do have a question. Can a game end on a defensive foul?

leemajors
11-10-2006, 11:40 AM
With that amount of time, I think any coach takes his chance with .4 instead of fouling because with less than a second on the clock the player receiving the ball is going to go immediately into a shot. If you foul there, you're sending them to the line.

But I do have a question. Can a game end on a defensive foul?

i don't think so.