PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gates: Same Song, Same Versus

Nbadan
11-10-2006, 01:24 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/11/08/GR2006110801501.jpg

Donald Rumsfeld’s most obvious contribution to the office of Secretary of Defense was perhaps the demonstration of how it can be used to mold intelligence data to conform with administration priorities rather than reality. This process, as described in detail (http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/030331fa_fact1) by Seymour Hersh in “Chain of Command” (http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2004/09/20040914_b_main.asp), produced a great deal of “evidence” that was in tune with the Bush administration’s desire for war with Iraq and greatly facilitated the molding of public opinion to support that war. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that George Bush has tapped as Rumsfeld’s successor a man who has proven, during his many years of service with the CIA, his ability and inclination to utilize the CIA for the propaganda producing purposes which George Bush will need to drum up support for his foreign policies, thus continuing in Rumsfeld’s tradition.

Gates’ role in manipulating intelligence data for the Reagan administration

Robert Gates commenced his experience in the art of manipulating CIA analysis for use as propaganda during the Reagan/Bush administration, when he was appointed by CIA Director William Casey in 1982 as the Deputy Director for Intelligence. His activities in the Bush/Reagan CIA are described in detail by Robert Parry in his book, “Secrecy & Privilege – Rise of the Bush Dynasty from Watergate to Iraq” (http://www.secrecyandprivilege.com/) and in his more recent article, “The CIA’s DI Disgrace”. (http://www.consortiumnews.com/2004/071304.html)

Ronald Reagan was very similar to George W. Bush in his strict adherence to ideologies, and the consequent dismissal of any evidence that conflicted with those ideologies. The central theme of his foreign policy was that the Soviet Union was an Evil Empire, intent upon sponsoring international terrorism, planning a preemptive nuclear strike against the United States, and gaining a foothold in Central America in order to facilitate its imperial ambitions.

But the CIA analysts in the Directorate of Intelligence (DI) posed a big problem to Reagan’s theme because their intelligence contradicted it. As discussed by Soviet CIA analysts Carolyn Ekedahl and Melvin Goodman, they could find no evidence that the Soviet Union was considering a nuclear strike against us, and far from sponsoring international terrorism, the consensus was that the Soviet Union actively tried to discourage acts of terrorism by their clients because of the bad publicity that it entailed.

That kind of information was greatly frowned upon by Ronald Reagan and William Casey. Not only did it conflict with their ideological views, but it impeded their ability to obtain cooperation from Congress in their attempts to assist right wing governments and paramilitaries to keep and gain control of Central American countries such as El Salvador and Nicaragua, respectively.

Thus, in his efforts to change the functions and purpose of the CIA, William Casey enlisted the help of Robert Gates by putting him in charge of the DI. The strategy was fairly simple. Just make it clear that one’s career depends upon producing intelligence that conforms with the administration’s views. And purge those who either fail to understand this basic idea or who fight against it. In other words, though it was never put in these words, objectivity independence were not prized characteristics in a CIA analyst. Gates translated this philosophy into Orwellian action with his severe criticism of analysts who displayed “a pronounced tendency to confuse objectivity and independence with avoidance of issues germane to the U.S. government policymakers.”

Consequences

The consequences of the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld manipulation of intelligence data was a disastrous war in Iraq and a skyrocketing national debt. Similarly, the consequences of the Reagan/Bush/Casey/Gates manipulation of intelligence data was the long continuation of a disastrous war in Central America and the skyrocketing of our national debt.

In our financial support and military training of the Contras and other right wing causes in Central America we sponsored groups with abysmal human rights records and little support among the populations that they desired to lead. The trillions of dollars that we put into military spending, including the unworkable missile defense system known as “Star Wars”, probably did our country little good, while leaving two future U.S. presidents with a massive national debt to deal with. And our interest in helping Islamic fundamentalists to counter Soviet interests in Afghanistan led to our training of the Islamists in the techniques of terror and our ignoring of Pakistan’s move towards becoming a nuclear power, both which have now come back to haunt us, with Pakistan’s facilitation of North Korea’s nuclear program and the terror threat posed by al Qaeda.

How would Robert Gates perform as Defense Secretary?

As Deputy Director of Intelligence, Robert Gates’ manipulation of intelligence data to support Ronald Reagan’s views of reality resulted in disasters that are comparable to those perpetrated by Donald Rumsfeld from his manipulation of intelligence data to support George W. Bush’s views of reality. In addition to that, Robert Parry also discusses good evidence to support the belief that Gates was involved in several other scandals, including Iran-Contra, the Reagan/Bush “October Surprise” (in which the Reagan administration conspired with Iranian rulers to withhold return of our hostages until after the Carter vs. Reagan presidential election), and the covert supply of weapons to Saddam Hussein’s Iraq during their war with Iran. In conclusion, I see little reason to believe that Robert Gates will turn out to be substantially different than Donald Rumsfeld as Secretary of Defense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2006, 01:28 AM
:lmao Well, it only took you a day, what took you so long?

BTW, where's your link on this, or are you ashamed to admit it? Not that I care, but I just want to see where the hate's coming from this time.

Nbadan
11-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Rumsfeld's Replacement: The Robert Gates File
Iran-Contra figure, regime-change enthusiast, alleged intelligence manipulator -- meet Robert Gates, the man who’s poised to be the next Secretary of Defense.
James Ridgeway
November 09 , 2006

WASHINGTON—While Donald Rumsfeld was Ronald Reagan’s errand boy to Saddam Hussein in the mid-1980s, Robert Gates, the man named yesterday to succeed him as Secretary of Defense, was at the very heart of the American intelligence apparatus, actively planning and carrying out covert operations in Central America and the Middle East.

Gates, a 26-year CIA veteran and the agency’s director between 1991 and 1993, has long been accused of undermining competent, unbiased intelligence analysis at the agency during his tenure, opening the way for its role in partisan politics, a reality brought to the fore again as the Bush administration made its flawed and phony case for war with Iraq. Gates was a high official at the CIA at a time when the U.S. intelligence community experienced one of its most humiliating debacles: the failure to predict the disintegration of the Soviet Union. Instead, under CIA director William Casey the U.S. concocted evidence showing the expansion of Reagan’s “evil empire.”

Casey and his protégé Gates were fervent Cold Warriors. On December 14, 1984, in a five page memorandum for then Director of Intelligence Casey, Gates, then serving as deputy director of intelligence, set forth his views: “It is time to talk absolutely straight about Nicaragua,” the memo begins. “The Nicaraguan regime is steadily moving toward consolidation of a Marxist-Leninist government, and the establishment of a permanent and well-armed ally of the Soviet Union and Cuba on the mainland of the western hemisphere. Its avowed aim is to spread further revolution in the Americas.”

Gates goes on to say this is an “unacceptable” course, arguing that the U.S. should do everything “in its power short of invasion to put that regime out.” Hopes of causing that regime to reform itself for a more pluralistic government are “essentially silly and hopeless,” he wrote. (The ironic upshot of this sort of thinking can be found in the recent election of the former Sandanista leader Daniel Ortega as president of Nicaragua.)

Nicaragua wasn’t the only place Gates wanted to take action. In 1985, sounding very much like one of today’s neoconservative hawks, the then head of intelligence analysis at the CIA drafted a plan for a joint U.S.-Egyptian military operation to invade Libya, overthrow Col. Muamar Ghaddafi, and “redraw the map of North Africa.” On the basis of this idea, CIA Director Casey, sometimes said to be the man who invented Gates, ordered up a list of Libyan targets and the National Security Council developed a plan to have Egypt attack Libya with U.S. air support and seize half the country. The Joint Chiefs drew up plans for a military operation involving 90,000 troops. Alarmed, the State Department subsequently succeeded in downsizing Gates proposal to “contingency” status.

Mother Jones (http://www.motherjones.com/washington_dispatch/2006/11/Gates%20Files.html)

BIG IRISH
11-10-2006, 03:09 AM
I'll beat AHF to it:

Mother Jones :lol :lol :lol
so lets try this one:
Meet Robert M. Gates, Iran-Contra Crook and Bush 41 CIA Chief

How twisted is this country? An Iran-Contra crook and ex-CIA chief is immediately greeted as a sane, grown-up yet “fresh” replacement for the delusional old Donald Rumsfeld.

Even more fun, Gates’ nemesis Daniel Ortega was elected president of Nicaragua on Monday. You may remember Ortega as the Sandinista leader who fought off the Contras in a long bloody “civil war” in large part engineered by … Oliver North, William Casey and deputy CIA director Robert M. Gates, among others.

North, a convicted felon and official fall guy for Iran-Contra, was in Nicaragua last week campaigning against Ortega.

History doesn’t just repeat itself; it repeats itself with the same exact people "and some folks wonder what makes a person cynical".

Gatesgate - Robert M. Gates, nominee to head CIA [National Review]
from the National Review:

PRESIDENT BUSH has named Robert Gates, currently his deputy for National Security Affairs, to be his new Director of Central Intelligence. While the nominee is expected to be confirmed in the end, opponents are expected to raise a substantial fuss about Gates's involvement (when he was William Casey's deputy director at CIA) in the Iran-Contra affair.

Of senior policy-making figures in the Bush Administration, Gates has the most sober and cold-eyed vision of the Soviet Union. In October 1989, he attempted to give a speech outlining a skeptical vision of the Gorbachev reform program; his draft argued that the profound systemic inadequacies of the Soviet economy and political structure made it highly unlikely that Gorbachev's half-measures would succeed. Secretary of State Baker saw the text and blocked its delivery. (Gates's text circulated thereafter in samizdat, like a, Solzhenitsyn essay before glasnost.) Needless to say, Gates's analysis has been borne out. The Administration, having suffered liberal criticism for the first ten months of its term for its slowness to embrace Gorbachev, went ahead and did so just as the rest of the country was beginning to feel a massive disillusionment with the Great Man's performance.

While the Administration has, ever since then, found it difficult to break away from its seeming commitment to Gorbachev's personal fortunes, Gates has been a consistent voice of caution in the inner councils. He did not change his gloomy assessment of Soviet reforms, reiterating it as recently as May 7 in a speech in Vancouver. He has been pushing the Administration to reach out to others in the USSR whose claims to be forces of reform were beginning to outshine Gorbachev's-in particular the leaders of the Republics, including Boris Yeltsin. No wonder Gorbachev dislikes Gates intensely.

What happend to Gorbachev?????????????????? Rehtorical

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_n10_v43/ai_10847947

11-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Same versus?

101A
11-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Iran Contra?

Can't you Liberals just move on?

I mean we hashed that out nearly 20 YEARS ago, and you just can't drop it......

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2006, 09:02 AM
The same Senate Panel that tore up Ollie North concluded Gates had minimal, if any knowledge of the Iran-Contra affair.

Further, when he was nominated for head of the CIA in '91 by George Bush (41), the Democrats in the Senate dug and dug for anything they could find on him and Iran-Contra, put him on the stand and tried to bully him, everything, and concluded the same thing the original panel came up with, and wouldn't you know it enough of them voted for him that he was confirmed as the CIA Director.

The only difference between then and now is a couple of partisan hacks out there that hate everything about Bush, and therefore anyone he nominates is automatically evil.

You guys need to fucking get over it already. That whole original post that Dan copied and pasted (probably from Democraticunderground.org or Georgesoros.com) is such a joke, I don't even know where to start.

So Dan, what are you and others going to think about your Democratic heroes in the Senate and House when they confirm Gates? Are they all crooked conspirators in Iran-Contra too?

clambake
11-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't you expect congress, any congress, to confirm this guy, or any other guy for that matter? You think its important to have a SoD with our troops stuck in a shitstorm? Of course people are leery of any selection made by this president. History doen't favor his opinion.

FromWayDowntown
11-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Same versus?

Agreed.

:wtf

Bob Lanier
11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
The same Senate Panel that tore up Ollie North concluded Gates had minimal, if any knowledge of the Iran-Contra affair.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall his using the Reagan defense a couple of times. Not being an absolute imbecile like Reagan, that was a little implausible, but it succeeded.

clambake
11-10-2006, 12:34 PM
"Gee Bob, I don't recall".

boutons_
11-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Gates was outed in the 80s by senior CIA analysts for cherry-picking intelligence that supported his ideology and feeding only that to Exec and Legislative. He was rebuked in Congress for doing that.

All the Intelligence That Fits Our Ideology and Partisan Politics

( ... is how the Repugs lied their way into Iraq)

Did anybody really think "full-speed-ahead-with-stay-the-course" dickhead would have selected anybody who would really be an independent DoD? Gates is long-time Repug/Washington echo chamber insider who won't rock any Repug boats, won't really initiate any Iraq actions that dickhead doesn't want.

Nbadan
11-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Same versus?

:lol

I had a bad night.

:toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Gates was outed in the 80s by senior CIA analysts for cherry-picking intelligence that supported his ideology and feeding only that to Exec and Legislative. He was rebuked in Congress for doing that.

All the Intelligence That Fits Our Ideology and Partisan Politics

( ... is how the Repugs lied their way into Iraq)

Did anybody really think "full-speed-ahead-with-stay-the-course" dickhead would have selected anybody who would really be an independent DoD? Gates is long-time Repug/Washington echo chamber insider who won't rock any Repug boats, won't really initiate any Iraq actions that dickhead doesn't want.

You know, yesterday in the post about Gates, I linked to a paper that in essence spelled out his position on Iran. You obviously either didn't read it or are illiterate, because it doesn't jive at all with your 'he's nothing but a yes man for W. argument'

But hey, why read something penned by him when you can robotically cut and paste a liberal hack piece?

boutons_
11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't give a fuck about Gages' stance on Iran.

The Repugs are at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, which are DoD's top priorities. Iran isn't.

Iran must be addressed diplomatically, which is not Gates' portfolio at DoD.

xrayzebra
11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Gee, it didn't take long for the dimm-o-craps to show
their new face of co-operation, did it?

We want to work with the President and the American
people, so long as we get our way! :ihit :madrun

RobinsontoDuncan
11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Dude, go fuck yourself, i doubt you even what cooperation means until you aren't getting your way

xrayzebra
11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
May I ask, dude, where and when the dimm-o-craps have
cooperated on any issue or nomination made during the
past six years. I thought not.

Ocotillo
11-10-2006, 05:22 PM
May I ask, dude, where and when the dimm-o-craps have
cooperated on any issue or nomination made during the
past six years. I thought not.

The overwhelming majority of federal judiciary nominations were approved with full cooperationg of the Dems. There was a handful of extreme conservatives that most Dems objected to but due to minority status were unable to do anything about. Frist and company had a snit so the right wing noise machine went into overdrive whipping up the knuckledraggers and so there was some discussion.

Some Dems rolled over for the Medicare prescription bill, the bankruptcy act and CAFTA.

Basically Ray it looks like if the Dems disagree with something the conservatives want, they need to just shut up and let it get passed. Hopefully, your Republican brethren feel the same as you do and will just go sit in the corner for the next two years since they are the minority party.

I won't be holding my breath.

Ocotillo
11-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Regarding Gates, I have already heard favorable comments on him from Jack Reed and Joe Biden. Gee, somebody might ask him a tough question and our conservative amigos will begin frothing at the mouth.

when it is all said and done, he will be approved.

John Bolton on the other hand? DOA.

boutons_
11-10-2006, 05:38 PM
If dubya gives Bolton another recess appointment, Bolton won't be paid by the US govt (I'm sure the Repugs know how to cover his expenses) and it would surely show that dubya is still ready to override a hostile Congress to keep dickhead happy.

xrayzebra
11-11-2006, 09:36 AM
The overwhelming majority of federal judiciary nominations were approved with full cooperationg of the Dems. There was a handful of extreme conservatives that most Dems objected to but due to minority status were unable to do anything about. Frist and company had a snit so the right wing noise machine went into overdrive whipping up the knuckledraggers and so there was some discussion.

Some Dems rolled over for the Medicare prescription bill, the bankruptcy act and CAFTA.

Basically Ray it looks like if the Dems disagree with something the conservatives want, they need to just shut up and let it get passed. Hopefully, your Republican brethren feel the same as you do and will just go sit in the corner for the next two years since they are the minority party.

I won't be holding my breath.

Same old song, same old verse. Heard it time after time and the
dimm-o-craps are still the same old crowd doing the same old stuff.

You make my point. Notice your remark, some Dems rolled over......
Yeah damn them for voting for something the Repub's suggested.

And yes they voted for some federal judges at the lowest level, but
anything above it, if there was even a hint they may be conservative
no way jose were they going to be confirmed. How many are still
on the table my fine feathered friend?

Please note the following:

New Senate Faces 51 Federal Judge Vacancies and other Nominations
Submitted by BuzzFlash on Wed, 11/08/2006 - 4:46pm. Alerts

The incoming Senate has the power to confirm or reject judicial nominations from the president. Currently, there are 51 vacancies to be filled across the nation, with 29 nominees pending.