PDA

View Full Version : The Fans of the NBA deserve better.

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I know the media, writers and fan speculation about the new "rules" on fouls and techs has been the big talk but after watching the Mavs/Suns game I'm finally getting pissed off.

I've been seeing a lot of shit calls in several games and it's really starting to get old now.

What's going to happen when it's the 2006 Playoffs and this crap is going on?

I understand controlling how much "emotion" players evoke from good OR bad calls but this new commie like exsistance we as fans have to see and player have to put up with is disrespectful all around.

We as fans deserve better. We watch the "LeBrons" commercials, we listen to the sports talk radio and support our ass off for the game we love but the league itself is becomming a leech.

When I play ball let me tell you. I get INTO it.

The other day I drove the lane, leaped and went for a dunk and was fouled to the ground, hard. I popped up and threw my hands out and yelled "THAT'S what a fucking foul is!"

My point is I am tired. I will root for my Spurs like I always have but I will not be screaming or yelling at the TV. I will not mutter cuss words during games or bitch to friends about these calls in the NBA anymore because it's pointless. We as fans do not matter anymore.

Improve the image of the NBA. Do whatever you have to do but do not dictate a fingernail falling to the ground as a foul plus a free throw to go with it.

We deserve better, and so do the players. Even if they are millionaires.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-10-2006, 02:40 AM
http://sports.tom.com/uimg/2006/11/3/wangtao/Jess-Kersey-2006110300_35151.jpg

"I want the pig out of here! He's gone! Now"

phyzik
11-10-2006, 03:35 AM
all I ask for is for the NBA to get rid of all of these OLD refs... We NEED some new blood in there.

LilMissSPURfect
11-10-2006, 08:37 AM
i coulda sworn i saw death @ the dallas/phoenix game yesterday!

LEONARD
11-10-2006, 08:46 AM
The other day I drove the lane, leaped and went for a dunk and was fouled to the ground, hard. I popped up and threw my hands out and yelled "THAT'S what a fucking foul is!"

Badass :fro

Samr
11-10-2006, 10:01 AM
This whole thing just seems ass-backwards to me.

How many fans have grown up imitating Mutumbo's finger wag, even as they age? How lowered rims have been ravaged by LeBron dunks, the kids hanging on for just a bit too long, screaming, reinacting, being fans of the excess emotion?

Stern isn't taking the fun out of the game, he's taking the entire fucking point.

This new rule has removed the aspect of the game that we loved the most.

easjer
11-10-2006, 10:11 AM
The enforcement of the unclear rule is the issue. The disparity between officials and the leeway given to the superstar players. It's been ridiculous. Will it even out? Less techs given this week, so maybe. But still, no emotion or celebration . . . is unfortunate.

samikeyp
11-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I could see if Stern is trying to cut down on bad behavior, but personally, I don't think showing emotion, for the most part, is bad behavior. Sheed putting is arms out like "what'd I do" then getting a T is wrong. Dunking and yelling is fine, if Elson had come down, got into someone's face, then yelled, that would be T worthy. You can clean up the whining without taking the fun out.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-10-2006, 10:24 AM
I think what chaps my ass about the whole situation is that this problem has grown unchecked for a while on Stern's watch. But rather than put some speed bumps up along the way he decided this was the year to put a brick wall up on the highway. And what did he expect to happen when with each passing year the rules on what constitutes a foul gets looser and looser? Calling fouls more often isn't going to result in less contact in a game like basketball, it creates players who want a foul call every time they take the ball into the paint.

Solid D
11-10-2006, 10:52 AM
The other day I drove the lane, leaped and went for a dunk and was fouled to the ground, hard. I popped up and threw my hands out and yelled "THAT'S what a ****ing foul is!"

Pansy! The other day I drove the lane, leaped and went for a dunk and was fouled to the ground, hard, I popped up and threw my hands out and yelled "Where am I? Is this Wednesday?"

:smokin

JamStone
11-10-2006, 11:01 AM

The basketball courts in Arkansas have 8 foot rims?

Solid D
11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
:lol

Spurminator
11-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Pansy! The other day I drove the lane, leaped and went for a dunk and was fouled to the ground, hard, I popped up and threw my hands out and yelled "Where am I? Is this Wednesday?"

Amen. No brain damage, no foul.

leemajors
11-10-2006, 11:05 AM
i think this rule, when properly enforced, will be good in the long run for the game in general. players just need to show some restraint.

freedom&justice
11-10-2006, 11:37 AM
The thing that bothers me most about this rule is the refs' inconsistency and this nagging worry I get when the game is close going into the final minute knowing that the refs have the green light to pretty much call whatever they want - this year more than any other because of Stern's new order.

I think what we fans deserve, more than anything, is the confidence, the knowledge that this team or that team deserved to win or lose and won or lost because of the way they played - not because the referees blew the whistle more in the favor of one or the other. I want the referees to be held accountable, I want them to be obligated to call the game as cleanly as possible, with as little bias as possible which I know is next to impossible with a man like David Stern at the helm.

Stern's new rule needs to go - or, at the very least, revised to the point where there isn't as much gray area; where there are clearer rules that isn't so subjective and the players won't be assessed a tech for bouncing the ball off the floor or the basket support, for laughing, for putting their hands up, for bugging their eyes out or anything as weak as that.

Maybe Stern could make his refs wear one of those mini-mics the tv networks sometimes get players or coaches wear so everything can be reviewed. JMHO

stretch
11-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I know the media, writers and fan speculation about the new "rules" on fouls and techs has been the big talk but after watching the Mavs/Suns game I'm finally getting pissed off.

I've been seeing a lot of shit calls in several games and it's really starting to get old now.

What's going to happen when it's the 2006 Playoffs and this crap is going on?

I understand controlling how much "emotion" players evoke from good OR bad calls but this new commie like exsistance we as fans have to see and player have to put up with is disrespectful all around.

We as fans deserve better. We watch the "LeBrons" commercials, we listen to the sports talk radio and support our ass off for the game we love but the league itself is becomming a leech.

When I play ball let me tell you. I get INTO it.

My point is I am tired. I will root for my Spurs like I always have but I will not be screaming or yelling at the TV. I will not mutter cuss words during games or bitch to friends about these calls in the NBA anymore because it's pointless. We as fans do not matter anymore.

Improve the image of the NBA. Do whatever you have to do but do not dictate a fingernail falling to the ground as a foul plus a free throw to go with it.

We deserve better, and so do the players. Even if they are millionaires.
David Stern is ruining the NBA. Fuck David Stern.

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM

:dizzy :lol

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
The basketball courts in Arkansas have 8 foot rims?
You :donkey

Nah it's 10. I have dunking abilities, but this is beside the point.

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 03:08 PM
The thing that bothers me most about this rule is the refs' inconsistency and this nagging worry I get when the game is close going into the final minute knowing that the refs have the green light to pretty much call whatever they want - this year more than any other because of Stern's new order.

I think what we fans deserve, more than anything, is the confidence, the knowledge that this team or that team deserved to win or lose and won or lost because of the way they played - not because the referees blew the whistle more in the favor of one or the other. I want the referees to be held accountable, I want them to be obligated to call the game as cleanly as possible, with as little bias as possible which I know is next to impossible with a man like David Stern at the helm.

Stern's new rule needs to go - or, at the very least, revised to the point where there isn't as much gray area; where there are clearer rules that isn't so subjective and the players won't be assessed a tech for bouncing the ball off the floor or the basket support, for laughing, for putting their hands up, for bugging their eyes out or anything as weak as that.

Maybe Stern could make his refs wear one of those mini-mics the tv networks sometimes get players or coaches wear so everything can be reviewed. JMHO

Nice post.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 04:48 PM
If you guys want theatrics, watch fucking wrestling.

First time in a long time I was able to watch a Suns home game without being disgusted at the amount of booing and whining the Suns fans do through the entire game. They almost went an entire game without it. Seeing the two biggest crybaby teams in the NBA play each other without all the hysterics was beautiful to watch.

Out of curiosity, how exactly was the new interpretation of the rules such a distraction in a game where one technical foul was called?

dirk4mvp
11-10-2006, 04:54 PM

That's how you gotta do it! :ihit

Handcheck fouls suck ass.

The thing that got me last night was there were a few suck ass calls on Dallas's centers, then, to reestablish theirselves, the refs had to get it back by calling a 'mediocre' moving pick foul on Amare.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Handcheck fouls are the rule, as was Amare throwing his hip into the defender. Are you suggesting that that refs are doing something wrong by correctly enforcing the rules?

Cant_Be_Faded
11-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Consistency is all we can ask for. Last playoffs were totally ruined because of inconsistent calls, and the blatant "make up call" phenomena (that should be a total outrage but still hasn't been bitched about enough yet).

I can live with an entire season of non-bitching and whining on the players part, if we see a postseason without "make up calls" and without series where one game is a slugfest dogfight old school style, and the other game is a Dirk jumpshot-freethrow combo contest.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 05:03 PM
A make up call is a good way for an officiating crew to get possession back to the team that shouldn't have lost it in the first place, rather than ruling an inadvertent whistle and having a jump ball. Why is there such a problem with it? It doesn't happen all that often.

Weird, CBF. I just noticed that the dude with the shotgun is a friend of mine. :)

ALVAREZ6
11-10-2006, 05:35 PM
It's just starting to piss you off now???

Fuck, I was furious during last playoffs, that shit was unbelievable.

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I gave up bitching about the officials after the Olympics. That was the worst officiating I've ever seen, and I was told that I was imagining it and that Tim Duncan lacks the skills capable of handling the nucances of international ball such as setting a pick or playing defense on second rate players. That being the case, I don't know what the hell you people think you are seeing that pisses you off so bad.

Brianna
11-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Make sure you don't disagree with brutails or else!

If I ever meet this guy I will have 8 friends on the end of each wrist slamming him.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52581&page=1&pp=26

5ToolMan
11-10-2006, 06:52 PM
The Zebras are just taking the heat off of Stern for his new balls :devil .

Brutalis
11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Make sure you don't disagree with brutails or else!

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52581&page=1&pp=26

omg lyke u r doh sthoopid.