PDA

View Full Version : how the Spurs stop Yao Ming?

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 12:29 AM
this guy is making an MVP yr averaging 26 pts a game while averaging 35 pts/game on games played in Houston @ 56.4%FG. He produced 36pts against Dallas then tonight 34 on NY.

Spurs play the Rockets in Houston Wednesday. So how can we stop or limit him? Is Oberto good enough to stop this guy or do we have to make Duncan do it instead? Tim play center, why not? Or shld be try Elson? or resurrect Butler:D?

I know we always have Manu we can rely on playing against these guys. We used to beat the Rockets esp when Manu play well but he's not playing his full potential so far.

If we can beat Houston easily that's the time I will say this team can be the team to beat in June, it not then we have to make adjustments.

K-State Spur
11-11-2006, 12:33 AM
to some extent, you gotta let yao get his. nobody really matches up well with him defensively when he's playing well.

but you beat the rockets by forcing tmac to take 25 shots to get his, then keeping everybody else down. outside of the big 2, there's really nobody on that roster that scares you offensively if you are playing good defense.

coopdogg3
11-11-2006, 12:34 AM
To quote "Knights Tale" you stop him with a stick - while he's asleep. Or you put a body on him, play him hard, and watch him crumple in the 4th.

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 12:37 AM
then there are Wells and TMac to worry about. We need Manu to help TP score. While Duncan & Co. will take care of Yao in the middle.

Zunni
11-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Run his ass into the ground. He's never been well conditioned.

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Run his ass into the ground. He's never been well conditioned.he will be when he plays against us :lol

BTW, i would like to correct that Yao stat on NY up there:

Yao Ming scored 35 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and matched a career high with seven blocks to lead the Houston Rockets to a 103-94 victory over the New York Knicks on Friday night. Yao hit 15 of 21 shots(71%) and also had a steal and two assists...

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
why i say Yao ming will be ready for us:

He still had some left over after the NY game. After playing 38 minutes, Yao headed straight to the weight room in anticipation of Sunday's meeting with Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat.

"I've got another big guy coming," Yao said. "I want to be ready for him."

Duncan is another NBA's best big men too! Now I can't wait the Spurs face Houston.

timvp
11-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Rasho used to play his best games of the season against Houston. It'll be interesting to see how the Spurs try to stop Yao this year. Duncan would probably be the best player to throw on him, but the Spurs wouldn't want to get him into foul trouble.

Oberto is probably strong enough to give him some trouble and Elson has the speed to beat him up the court, but we'll see if it translates to the court.

milkyway21
11-11-2006, 02:01 AM
yeah, Duncan.

and another concern:

The Rockets have outrebounded their last four opponents by 10 or more since the start of the season.

we need Oberto and Elson help Duncan on the boards too!

It would be interesting to watch Miami/Houston first meet this season on Sunday. Let's see how Shaq adjusts to a new Yao Ming. I'd be amazed if Yao can tackle ShaQ too bec he beat NY but it was only Curry in the middle.

velik_m
11-11-2006, 02:09 AM
I don't think Rasho's presence would've helped much, Yao owned us in the WC. He really lifted his game and right now he's probably the best C in the world.

Texas_Ranger
11-11-2006, 02:30 AM
Keep him out of the paint. He should not come easy under the rim and the make a layup or dunk. I think that Elson or Duncan could stop him, for Oberto I`m not so sure.

SpursIndonesia
11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Plenty of double teaming coupled with good rotation defense. The Spurs don't have the personnel at the moment to bother him much if at all in the post defensively, so great team D is expected to slow Yao in the paint.

z0sa
11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
who cares?

Yao isnt gonna put up over 40 on us. If we stop everyone else, it will just be a lesson in futility.

SpursIndonesia
11-11-2006, 02:38 AM
You should care, because if BOTH Yao & TMac have a good game, it would be pretty darn hard to stop a tag team of inside & outside offense throughout the game. ;)

And i believe the outside game would start falling if the inside game is established, so disrupting Yao's game equals to disrupting TMac's game, and the Rox as a whole.

dimsah
11-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Run him, and foul, even though he's a good free throw shooter.
Be physical and tire him out.

gospursgojas
11-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Rockets first 6 games:

Utah - Okur, Loss
Dal - Diop, Win
New Orleans - Chandler, Loss
Memphis - Gasol/Cardinal, Win
Millwakee - Bogut, Win
NY- Curry, Win

Not much of a defensive group, if you ask me. Not that the Spurs' big men are either. But lets see how Yao does against Big Ben, Shaq, Howard, before we start worrying about him like we do Shaq and the likes of...

BeerIsGood!
11-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Let's wait until March and see if he or Mac are even healthy. Mac's back is shot to hell and Yao always has nagging injuries. It will be a miracle if they make it through the season and get a top 6 seed in the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
11-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Just run and wait for him to injure his foot again.

The guy I wanted for Yao and the other big fellas got signed by Seattle.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 04:33 AM
play him straight up

let him have his while we limit the other 4

force them to take alot of 3s, look at the 3pta this season, they are shootin alot but % is way down as compared to last season

flipcritic
11-11-2006, 06:04 AM
It's nice to see Yao finally live up to all the potential he's been cited for. Ever since last year's all star break, the guy has been on a tear (finally developed a mean streak). I'd definitely be worried about him, but as long as McGrady isn't making his, the Spurs will be fine.

polandprzem
11-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Re Rocket will stop the Rockets

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 06:34 AM
yao > STAT

If tmac plays second fiddle, yao has a high chance of mvp and rockets become legit.....

ploto
11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
The Spurs made their choice. Apparently, they think they can live with Yao scoring 40 points.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 09:10 AM
let yao have his 40pts and make duncan his douchebag, but duncan will come out with the W

Bruno
11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Oberto + Elson + Butler = 18 fouls to give.

If it's not enough and Spurs want a Yao stopper, they can maybe try to sign Adonal Foyle for the min because eh will maybe be bought out by GS.

wildbill2u
11-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Exactly my thoughts. Elson would be the one player on the squad who could do this.

But I don't think it's conditioning per se. Yao's body simply isn't built for a running game. I'd do the same with Shaq.

wildbill2u
11-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Keep him out of the paint. He should not come easy under the rim and the make a layup or dunk. I think that Elson or Duncan could stop him, for Oberto I`m not so sure.
I live in Houston and probably see more of him than most. He has a very nice turn-around jumper and doesn't get all his points from layups or dunks.

This guy has a lot of tools and is just coming into his own. He is the best center in the league now that Shaq has slowed down because of age.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 10:41 AM
eat his cat?

Borosai
11-11-2006, 11:10 AM
These are the guys you are worried about? C'mon now...:dramaquee

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/9240/sthoustonsprocketsrk1.jpg

shayne mccrackhead
11-11-2006, 11:14 AM
U dont need butler. The only way u guys contain yao is if elson and oberto play very well defensively. Elson did a pretty good job on dirk, and oberto can pressure a guy.

K-State Spur
11-11-2006, 12:56 PM
The flip side is that both Oberto and Elson are quicker than Yao around the paint and could give him some trouble on the other end of the floor if they move around the paint, hit a couple of outside shots, and make some interior passes to Duncan. And if the Rockets put him on Duncan instead, he'll only play 10 minutes due to foul trouble.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 01:00 PM
have orbs defend yao, when he fadeaways for jumpshot, thats where elson comes in from the weakside and swats it into top deck.....

itzsoweezee
11-11-2006, 02:23 PM
yao is the mvp. if the rest of the rockets (ie, mcgrady) ever understand that, houston will be a very tough team to beat.

Bob Lanier
11-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Oberto + Elson + Butler = 18 fouls to give.
Yao's not Shaq or Duncan. He's shooting 87% from the line this season...

Bruno
11-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Yao's not Shaq or Duncan. He's shooting 87% from the line this season...

I haven't said that you should foul Yao on purpose but Spurs centers will do some fouls when they will defend on Yao and when they will defend the rim against penetration. Having 3 serviceable centers will allow Spurs not to have a player in foul trouble defending on Yao.
Elson/Oberto is too short to defend against a true dominant center. The best example of that is maybe the game against Knicks when both were in foul trouble against Eddy Curry.

bdictjames
11-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Force him to shoot jumpshots. Dont let him get to the ring.

:ihit

boutons_
11-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Defend him very aggressively, get in and hold position to draw charges, deny him the ball, sag in a perimeter defender (Rox don't have many/any dangerous scorers).

Having everybody/anybody box him out is probably worth 2 Yao over-the-back fouls.
Get him in foul trouble.

This his 5th year could be the year where he really becomes dominant. Except for RBs and PFs, all is stats are up significantly versus his very solid but shortened 05/06.

34 MPG, like a big boy, finally.

dirk4mvp
11-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Force him to shoot jumpshots. Dont let him get to the ring.

He's got a damn good turnaround J from 12 ft.

run, run, run, and run. He'll get tired eventually and then becomes slow and lazy. :donkey

flipcritic
11-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Whatever the Spurs intend to do, they better do it. Yao just droped 30+ on the Heat (14 boards to go with it). He's finally arrived.

LilMissSPURfect
11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Re: how the Spurs stop Yao Ming?

Put THUGG dirty BRUCE on him....
sorry couldn't contain the Sarcasm

TDMVPDPOY
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
get bruce bowen to break his ankles? hahahahhaha

SpursIndonesia
11-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Well, Shaq & Zo can only slow him for 34 points and 15 rebs in 38 mins, 12-17 FGs 12-13 FTs, under their own roof. Just pray for a great rotation defense and agressive double team, and our guards must read the inside passes to Yao well and disrupt them accordingly, otherwise our Bigs would be in a BIG trouble -7'6" 310 lbs big to be precise.

We certainly don't want to be embarassed at home by our division & interstate rival, right ?? ;)

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:00 AM
get bruce bowen to break his ankles? hahahahhaha

:hungry:

Spurs16212
11-13-2006, 12:14 AM
In order for the Spurs to stop Yao Ming they will need to have Francisco Elson bring his "A" game to the table. He will need to utilize his athleticism and strength to keep Yao out of the paint and to put a hand in his face. Yao is the least of my worries in my opinion, McGrady killed us a while back scoring approximately 13 points in 90 seconds if memory serves right. They have added tremendous role players in Shane Battier and Bonzi Wells who have given the Spurs fits in the past.

I know it is too early in the season to tell but if the Rockets are healthy through the course of the season, look out, we could see a I-10 rivalry re-emerge in the Western Conference Finals. Dallas has lost some key pieces in their conference championship team from last year and Phoenix couldn't learn a defensive scheme if it hit them in the head. I predict a Spurs 7 point victory on Tuesday

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Bonzi will prolly be the SPURS thorn.....

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Bonzi will prolly be the SPURS thorn.....

so what? we get bruce bowen to break both his ankles, thats if he doesnt get ejected after breakin yaos ankles

damn where is rasho when we need him, didnt he break yaos arm last season, and we can always blame it on rasho

ponky
11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
You cannot stop the GREAT WALL OF CHINA, you can only break him down...sounds like a job for Bowen (sweep the legs, sweep the legs!!!)

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:44 AM
You cannot stop the GREAT WALL OF CHINA, you can only break him down...sounds like a job for Bowen (sweep the legs, sweep the legs!!!)

we'll c !!

Dalamar_the_Dark
11-13-2006, 05:15 AM
Attack Yao from the start on the defensive end. Get him into early foul trouble. When hes out of the game, Houston does not have a low post game without Yao.

SpursIndonesia
11-13-2006, 05:16 AM
OTOH, if we look it from other perspective, we could defend him simply by reducing his minutes on the court. He has a better stamina this season, so perhaps forcing an all out running game isn't as compelling or effective as before, but we have two super agressive guards who are quick and capable of attacking the paint consistantly. The Rox only have Yao as their shotblocking presence -Chuck Hayes, much respect for the guy, is still an undersized 6'6" PF, and JHoward doesn't have lift anymore + slow as snail- so Tony & Manu must be relentless attacking Yao's D. Hopefully that would entice some misstiming and fouling. Ofcourse, TD would also have to be aggressive as well in the post, theoritically, he has never had problem guarded by shorter opponent like Hayes or Howard.

mathbzh
11-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I remember a Phoenix/Houston last season where he was limited to something like 12 points with Diaw keeping him far from the basket. So it seems that if you make him run (Phoenix) and keep him out of his zone it could work.
But it was just one game I don't know if it would work now.

SpursIndonesia
11-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Umm, putting a small big like Diaw is pressing/disrupting Yao defensively, not offensively IMHO. If by upping the tempo would mean making his teammates into a trigger happy shoot first mofos, by all means it would very well work. But from the game that watched vs Dallas, even TMac knew exactly who's the top dog at this moment. And i believe the Rox are the lowest scoring team on transition game, so they indeed try hard to become dump a chump team aka the Spurs of 98-02.

mathbzh
11-13-2006, 07:38 AM
IMO Diaw was efficient defensively (only one game so I don't know if it would work again) because he knew he would have been killed once Yao in his confort zone. So he was completely focused on keeping Yao far from the basket. It could have work with a "bigger big".

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2006, 08:15 AM
yao eats turds like diaw for lunch dinner and tea

AFBlue
11-13-2006, 08:49 AM
yao eats turds like diaw for lunch dinner and tea

Yao eats turds for lunch, dinner, and tea!?!?

Yao: N...no

Sorry, couldn't help the obligatory Happy Gilmore reference.

Bruno
11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
If Elson/Oberto/Butler can do a decent job on Yao like they did against Dirk, Spurs will be fine at center this year.

nkdlunch
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Yao will definitely dominate the paint vs. Spurs. But Yao has 2 weaknesses, he gets into fould trouble and tires easily, those are not small weaknesses

Drive Like Jehu
11-13-2006, 10:48 AM
On offense: Keep the ball moving, and make him keep moving. Let Elson run on the fast break when the Spurs manage a rebound.

Run a lot of high screens with the post player he is defending. I think Elson and Duncan could run the high low game that Dave and Tim were able to run several years ago, but I'm not sure if we want to throw extra plays at Elson yet. Finally, the Spurs athletic back court must drive at Yao. Force him to make the play and not foul. I think Manu could be very effective at attacking Yao at the basket.

On defense: I think Elson is athletic and long enough to front Yao. It's hard for Yao to hit shots if you are denying him the ball. I would not consistantly double Yao. I'd try it a couple of times early in the game to see if he handles it well and then save it for the fourth quarter to see if Yao can make the play when the pressure is on.

SAGambler
11-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Go right at him early. Yao has a tendency to get in foul trouble when teams are consistently driving at him.

Play some hard defense on him early and take some hard fouls if necessary. I've noticed in the past that if Yao gets off to a bad start, it kind of gets in his head, and he usually has a bad game. Just don't let him get started early.

Also what someone said about running him. This guy doesn't have that much stamina. Get him blowing and he'll have to sit. On offense keep running him back and forth across the lane to make him defend. Don't just sit down and let him stand in one spot. Run his ass off.

wildbill2u
11-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Yao something to watch
Rockets center dominates Shaq in blowout of defending NBA champion Heat
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4329869.html

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

MIAMI - All that "best center in the league" stuff was fun, a nice verbal hug for Yao Ming from his teammates. Though increasingly difficult to argue, it is sort of an honorary title.

This was more tangible, more meaningful.

The Rockets demonstrated something they hope is more revealing Sunday when they not only had the NBA's best center, they were better than the NBA's best team.

With Yao carrying them through a fourth-quarter surge past the NBA champions, the Rockets rolled to a 94-72 statement win over the Miami Heat before 19,600 at AmericanAirlines Arena, including 500 screaming, singing Rockets season-ticket holders.

With Sunday's win, the Rockets have beaten last season's NBA Finals teams — Miami and Dallas — by a combined 53 points.

"The big fella is playing at his best," Rockets guard Tracy McGrady said. "I don't know if he can get better. He's phenomenal out there, man.

"Now, I know what it feels like to sit back and watch a great player right before your eyes. Guys I played with in the past got caught up in the moment of just watching something great. That's what I'm doing right now, watching something great."

While the Heat spent half the game trying to get Yao's name right on the scoreboard, Yao took another huge step into his prime and past Shaquille O'Neal in winter.

Yao followed his 35-point, 17-rebound, seven-blocks performance Saturday with 34 points on 11-of-19 shooting and 14 rebounds, eventually running O'Neal off the court as the lead swelled in the Rockets' most prolific quarter of the season.

Yao scored 14 points in the Rockets' 34-point fourth quarter, making six of his seven shots on everything from a nifty fast-break scoop to a 17-foot baseline turnaround as the shot-clock buzzer sounded as he pumped his fists above his head in triumph"

This guy has learned his lessons and is coming into his own. Everyone in the league should be wary of these Rockets.

ponky
11-13-2006, 02:11 PM
his turnaround jumper from outside was beautiful to watch the other night, he's not another shaq who can only take it inside...i'm excited about tuesday night's game, it should be a good one, whatever the result

SenorSpur
11-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Even though he's been an All-Star center since he came into the league, Yao has finally reached that MVP-type level that everyone had been waiting for. He presents problems for any team because not only is he very efficient in the post, but he can also nail those turnaround baseline jumpers and is a consistent threat from outside. In short, he has an extensive offensive repertoire.

This is an interesting dilemma for the Spurs. With the departure of Rasho, they no longer have a low-post defender with the bulk and size to match up against Yao. Obviously you don't want to put Duncan on him for fear of foul trouble.

Elson is quick but lacks the overall girth and strength to keep Yao from getting position. He may be able to tire Yao out by pulling him away from the basket making him work hard at the defensive end and forcing him to run in transition.

Oberto may be a stronger post defender than Elson, but still is outmatched and likely wont be able to kepp Yao from doing what he wants on the offensive end. Even if Oberto is able to make him work some, he'll likely get into foul trouble while jostling for position.

At this point, there is no one on the Spurs roster than can make Yao work for his position, or for that matter, even contest his shots. Their only hope is to double-team him and take their chances with the outside shooters. However Yao is an excellent passer, as well.

Seeing what Yao has done so far this seasons, it'll be interesting to see what Pop decides to do to counter Yao's effectiveness.

mardigan
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
If the Spurs can take away everything else, ala Stoudamire in the playoffs, all they will have to do is try and wear Yao down on d, and get him in foul trouble. I think Bowen will shut McGrady down, he doesnt look like the same player he used to be. As long as the Heads, Alstons and Wells (if he plays) dont have huge games, the Spurs should be able to weather the Yao storm

Axl Van Dam
11-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Umm, putting a small big like Diaw is pressing/disrupting Yao defensively, not offensively IMHO. If by upping the tempo would mean making his teammates into a trigger happy shoot first mofos, by all means it would very well work. But from the game that watched vs Dallas, even TMac knew exactly who's the top dog at this moment. And i believe the Rox are the lowest scoring team on transition game, so they indeed try hard to become dump a chump team aka the Spurs of 98-02.

:sucker DIAW is highy overrated.

xamila rey
11-13-2006, 09:56 PM
it'll be interesting to see what Pop decides to do to counter Yao's effectiveness.

small ball ? hope not

Solid D
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
how the Spurs stop Yao Ming?

Give Yao different looks, double him, front him, pressure the ball and deny the entry passes, and most importantly...

Run Forrest Elson Run!!!

http://www.stockphototalk.com/phototalk/images/forrestrunningtojonathan.jpg http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20061103/capt.d21ed9063d9b4f9f88d1e1059b5c8745.spurs_maveri cks_basketball_dna101.jpg

Texas_Ranger
11-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Duncan and Elson should play very tough defense. When he will be away from the rim, then Ginobili or Bowen should double-team him and try somehow to steal the ball from him. Just don`t let him be close to the rim and make easy dunks.

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Duncan and Elson should play very tough defense. When he will be away from the rim, then Ginobili or Bowen should double-team him and try somehow to steal the ball from him. Just don`t let him be close to the rim and make easy dunks.

Problem is, he doesn't have to bulldoze his way close enough to rim for the dunk -his game is actually closer to TD/Hakeem than Shaq. Yao only need some bumping in the paint to establish good position. After that, he WILL use a plethora of offensive moves that could make Duncan proud, especially his almost unstoppable turn around baseline jumper.

Texas_Ranger
11-14-2006, 12:24 AM
When he should shot some baseline jumpers, Bowen should try to get in his way, so he could not have a clean shot. And with double-team on him, he will not score a lot. I don˙t care if he scores 10 or 40 point, just win is important.

v2freak
11-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Have we tried putting Parker on Duncan's shoulders?

phxspurfan
11-14-2006, 12:42 AM
anybody know if this game will be on league pass? i see it listed for NBA tv and hope i can set the dvd recorder up for it.

SequSpur
11-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Give him directions to a free buffet.

theroc5
11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
im sure it is but is that against an nba rule?

Solid D
11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Give him directions to a free buffet.

Ah HAHAHahaha....... :sleep

velik_m
11-14-2006, 02:08 AM
The best way to stop Yao is to keep the ball away from him.

milkyway21
11-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Shaquille O'Neal sniffed and said he didn't give it a thought that the Rockets, and specifically his buddy Tracy McGrady, declared Yao Ming the NBA's best center. He said Yao merely did what he is supposed to do - "He's pretty much the same, just big, 7-6," :D
Dwyane Wade said the Heat know who is the NBA's best center, and he was not thinking of the Knicks' Eddy Curry. :lmao :lmao

i hope the Spurs will beat Houston. And limit Yao to just 18+pts before he gets used to score 35 pts/game against his opponents. Let us continue the streak of beating the Rockets.

anyone heard if Yao has back spasms or something? :lol

Go! Spurs! :flag:

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2006, 02:34 AM

Dun-ker, a new NBA center, specially breed to counter Yao's offensive game, 11'4" tall 440 lbs with four hands capable of grabbing while blocking at the same time.
:lol

Streakyshooter08
11-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Get him into foul trouble...

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Get him into foul trouble...

Won't be easy, considering the game will be played in Houston. Correct ?

milkyway21
11-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Get him into foul trouble...we need Tim Duncan or Manu to bring bring the ball to the hoops

limit TMAc too!

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-14-2006, 09:34 PM
4get Ming, you guys need to worry about Tmac and Mutumbo :lol

Texas_Ranger
11-14-2006, 10:03 PM
He is unstoppable.

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Yao comes back to earth. But TMac replaces him on the space shuttle back to the orbit. :lol

Zunni
11-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here until Saturday. Try the veal.
:elephant :elephant :elephant

The Truth #6
11-14-2006, 11:47 PM
He has no stamina. Luckily, Elson does. Yao's 4th quarter collapse was crucial.

SpursIndonesia
11-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Basically, Yao sucked tonite, no sugar coating on that. Perhaps still in a bit of euphoristic hangover after slaying the Big Sofa couple nights ago, he seems very much behind the curve all night long tonite -granted i'm only following the game through the live update in the web.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not trying to make any bigger comparisons here, but damn for the past three years I had forgotten what a huge advantage it is to have your big men run the other team into the ground.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2006, 12:02 AM
Yao didn't suck tonight. He was dominant for a good stretch of the third period. But Oberto and Elson were able to tire him out enough that Tim could hold him in the fourth.

Trainwreck2100
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Yao didn't suck tonight. He was dominant for a good stretch of the third period. But Oberto and Elson were able to tire him out enough that Tim could hold him in the fourth.

Oberto? He played like 5 minutes

milkyway21
11-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Oberto? He played like 5 minutes
Elson was hotter and wow Horry :tu

but this one->#21 came into the game READY for Yao Ming.
15-6 rbds
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/nba/img9803529.jpg

and the Spurs winning streak over Houston continues.... :ihit :ihit :ihit :toast

SpursIndonesia
11-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, i only got half of my wish. The Spurs won but Yao flopped. :lol

But let's just toast for the win tonite. :toast

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2006, 12:50 AM

yao: you like that, you like it, you like the feeling tim

tim: yeh i love ur ass

milkyway21
11-15-2006, 12:56 AM
yao: you like that, you like it, you like the feeling tim

tim: yeh i love ur assNasty! :makeout
:lmao

Solid D
11-15-2006, 01:16 AM
The game was won by the Spurs doubling the ball and pressuring Alston, Head and McGrady into poor passing choices. It had less to do with Yao being too tired. Several times, Yao was fronted by Elson and Alston and Head just could not pass it into the post. They were just awful. McGrady was really contested by Bowen on his shots, too. That lineup of Udrih, Finley, Bowen, Horry and Elson did a terrific job defensively. It also helped that the Spurs finally knocked down some shots.

The Spurs now know how to rattle the Rockets...until they learn how to pass out of ball pressure, into the post, and hit the open man.

milkyway21
11-15-2006, 01:33 AM
we figured out Yao and the Rockets beating them successfully.

but I'd like to ask why the Spurs sucked in the 2nd Quarter? what went wrong? Steals? TO? Because we were up in rbds, offensively particularly. the FTs were good and we had more FT attempts. And Yao obviously sucked too.

or it was due to our perimeter defense they were having a good time shooting 3s?

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2006, 02:20 AM

forget sliding your foot under another players foot,

slide your hands in there rear, works effective

wildbill2u
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
You don't often see a team miss 15 or more shots in a row. (The Houston announcers quit reporting them at 15 so I don't know how many actually) or score less than 20 points in the second half.

We were determined, defense-minded---and lucky. Luck usually comes when you have the first two, but this was unbelieveable. God must be a Spurs fan.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2006, 11:49 AM
but I'd like to ask why the Spurs sucked in the 2nd Quarter? what went wrong? Steals? TO? Because we were up in rbds, offensively particularly. the FTs were good and we had more FT attempts. And Yao obviously sucked too.
Spurs were doing too much standing around. And the Rockets are damned good.

I'm not looking forward to them plus a full-strength Bonzi.

milkyway21
11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
forget sliding your foot under another players foot,

slide your hands in there rear, works effective
gee, i saw some old pictures of TD like this w/ KG too! :lol