PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker settles in on the perimeter

Kori Ellis
11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Spurs' Parker settles in on the perimeter

Web Posted: 11/10/2006 11:51 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111106.01C.BKNspurs.parker.30fc121.html

If Spalding is searching for a celebrity endorser for its microfiber basketball, the company would be wise to sign Tony Parker.

For one thing, there aren't many other options. Shaquille O'Neal, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and about 257 other players appear to already have ruled themselves out.

And unlike most of his peers, Parker doesn't loathe the NBA's new ball. Nor does he merely tolerate it.

"I don't know how to explain it," Parker said. "I just like the feel of it."

Parker also is an All-Star, has Hollywood appeal and, most importantly, he's put the new ball to good use. His scoring average of 22.4 points per game is tied with that of the Los Angeles Clippers' Sam Cassell for tops among point guards.

That Parker again leads the Spurs in scoring isn't big news. What deserves a headline, however, is how he's accumulated his points.

Of Parker's 43 baskets this season, 26 have been jump shots.

That's in contrast to a year ago when his frequent forays into the lane helped him rank among the league leaders in points in the paint.

"I like seeing him go to the rim in transition because things are a little more spread out and people can't react as well," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

"But when the halfcourt defense is set, he can be almost more dangerous by knocking down that midrange jumper because people don't think he can shoot it."

Parker is quickly changing that perception. Eight of the 11 shots he made in Monday's victory at New York were from at least 17 feet. He slowed the Knicks' comeback in the fourth quarter with a 19-footer before closing out the game with a 3-pointer.

While Parker likes the new ball because it's easier to grip with sweaty hands than the leather one, his improvement has more to do with a staff addition than an equipment change. Since the Spurs hired shooting coach Chip Engelland before the start of last season, Parker's confidence has grown steadily.

Parker began to show more consistency in his jump shot by the second half of last season. A 69.7 percent career foul shooter through his first four years, he made 81 percent of his free throws during the playoffs and went 24 of 25 during the preseason.

Parker hasn't been as sharp (71 percent) in the Spurs' first five games, but that didn't deter Popovich from making him the second option behind Manu Ginobili when Phoenix was forced to foul at the end of Wednesday's fourth quarter. When Michael Finley didn't think he had a clear lane to Parker and instead inbounded to Duncan — who missed both free throws — Parker barked at him.

"When Chip first arrived, we said it would be a three-year process," Parker said.

"It's my second year and I'm very happy with the improvements. Hopefully I can keep it going."

Because Parker is so quick, teams usually play under the Spurs' pick-and-rolls to have a better chance at keeping him out of the lane. Beginning last season, Parker has better taken advantage of the space to shoot over his defender.

"He wants to punish them," Popovich said, "and he's done a great job of that."

As a result, Parker is less prone to overpenetrate. He has only 10 turnovers in the five games.

"Last year I noticed where he had a switch on a big and instead of trying to blow by the big and get in trouble, he pulled up for a jump shot," Bruce Bowen said.

"That shows he has been paying attention to making the right decision. If he makes it or misses it, it's the right decision."

Parker also has begun to increase his range, making a pair of 3-pointers in each of the past two games. Popovich ordered Parker to cut back his 3-point attempts last season — he took just 36 compared to the 243 he hoisted four seasons ago — and focus on becoming a better midrange shooter.

Now that Parker has done that, Popovich no longer winces when he spots up behind the arc. That's provided, of course, Parker continues to be selective with the shot, taking it at end-of-clock situations or when his defender drops way off him.

On Wednesday, Parker made back-to-back 3-pointers in the second half to keep the Suns from pulling away.

"I'm a long way from my rookie year when I'm shooting fast-break 3s," he said. "I'm taking baby steps."

timvp
11-11-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/hotzones/

That's a good tool to keep up with how well Parker is shooting. So far, he's shooting over 50% on shots outside the paint. If he keeps that up, there's no reason he can't average 23-25 points per game.

SilverPlayer
11-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I keep wanting to call this, but have been too tentative.

I really think Parker is going to be in the top 5 in MVP balloting this year. Book it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Parker hasn't been as sharp (71 percent) in the Spurs' first five games, but that didn't deter Popovich from making him the second option behind Manu Ginobili when Phoenix was forced to foul at the end of Wednesday's fourth quarter. When Michael Finley didn't think he had a clear lane to Parker and instead inbounded to Duncan — who missed both free throws — Parker barked at him.

:pctoss

Tony should bark, Tim shouldn't even be in the damn game. :pctoss

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 06:03 AM
this wont stop me from votin cp3 for the allstar spot, fuck tp :D

pjjrfan
11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I think more important to the team is what Bowen said, that Tony is learning to make the right decisions, with his talent, I believe that is the only thing that is keeping him from being a true superstar, learning to use his mind and how best to use his talent and that of his teammates.

Zunni
11-11-2006, 11:59 AM
If his shot is for real, and permanent, he is unguardable.

ShoogarBear
11-11-2006, 04:45 PM
What I hope is that Tony still realize that his jump shot should still always be his second option. I'd hate to see him morph into Terrell Brandon.

bdictjames
11-11-2006, 05:04 PM
I still feel uncomfortable when Parker takes his jumpshot.

THE HATER
11-11-2006, 05:18 PM
It doesnt matter what he does in the reg season, we all know he will go cold in the post season when we need him :ihit

baseline bum
11-11-2006, 07:49 PM
If his shot is for real, and permanent, he is unguardable.

Tony Parker with a jumpshot might be a top 10 player in this league. Only time will tell if its permanent or if he's just on a hot streak, but I'm loving seeing TP with a complete offensive package. Damn... imagine if Pop had traded him for Payton. :lmao

ducks
11-11-2006, 10:34 PM
It doesnt matter what he does in the reg season, we all know he will go cold in the post season when we need him :ihit
HAD HE BEEN HEALTHY AGAINST THE MAVS THE FIRST 2 games
MAVS WOULD HAVE WENT FISHING
TP WAS NOT THE REASON SPURS DID NOT WIN THE RING