PDA

View Full Version : It Took an Entire Team of Experts....

Melmart1
11-11-2006, 03:55 AM
... to determine that a burrito is not a sandwich. Talk about petty and needless bullshit! It is definitely funny though... dumb gringos...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/11/10/arguments_spread_thick/?page=1

A burrito is not a sandwich.

That's the culinary ruling of a Worcester judge, ending, for now, a food fight between Panera Bread Co. and Qdoba Mexican Grill.

In issuing his decision, which blocks Panera Bread's attempts to keep the burrito maker off its turf, Worcester Superior Court Judge Jeffrey A. Locke relied on testimony from Cambridge chef Chris Schlesinger and a former high-ranking USDA official, not to mention the Webster's Third New International Dictionary.

The burrito brouhaha began when Panera, one of the country's biggest bakery cafes, argued that owners of the White City Shopping Center in Shrewsbury violated a 2001 lease agreement that restricted the mall from renting to another sandwich shop. When the center signed a lease this year with Qdoba, Panera balked, saying the Mexican chain's burritos violate its sandwich exclusivity clause.

Not so, Qdoba countered, submitting affidavits from high-profile experts in the restaurant and food industry. "I know of no chef or culinary historian who would call a burrito a sandwich," Schlesinger said in his affidavit. "Indeed, the notion would be absurd to any credible chef or culinary historian."

In his ruling, Locke cited Webster's definition of a sandwich and explained that the difference comes down to two slices of bread versus one tortilla: "A sandwich is not commonly understood to include burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, which are typically made with a single tortilla and stuffed with a choice filling of meat, rice, and beans," he wrote.

Panera spokesman Mark Crowley declined to discuss the matter or say whether the St. Louis company planned to appeal the ruling. Mitchell Roberts , manager of the franchise group that runs the Shrewsbury Panera, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

"We were surprised at the suit because we think it's common sense that a burrito is not a sandwich," said Jeff Ackerman , owner of Qdoba franchise group, known as Chair 5 Restaurants, which plans to open the eatery next year. "We're just delighted that the experts and judge saw it the same way we did."

CuckingFunt
11-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Wow. Panera is estupido.

But they do make a tasty sammich.

Melmart1
11-11-2006, 05:03 AM
I wouldnt even know, never had Panera bread. Is there even one in SA? I am gone for weeks or months at a time sometimes and everytime I come home I swear there is a bunch of new shit I had no clue about before.