PDA

View Full Version : Mihm out for the season

ploto
11-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Guess the Spurs should be happy they couldn't work out a trade for him.

Center Chris Mihm will sit out the rest of the regular season after opting for surgery on an ankle that has bothered him since March.

Mihm sat out 24 of the team's final 25 games last season and had not played this season. He will be out five to eight months after having a ligament and tendon repaired in his right ankle. The surgery will be performed Tuesday by Mark Meyerson in Baltimore.

If the Lakers make the playoffs, there is a slight chance Mihm would return.

"Naturally I'm disappointed, but I'm optimistic that in the long run this surgery will lead to a 100% recovery, and I look forward to resuming my NBA career full-bore at that time," Mihm said in a statement.

"Unfortunately, despite an intense and grueling therapy regimen, my ankle simply has not responded the way I hoped."

Mihm's absence will mean continued extra work for 19-year-old Andrew Bynum, Kwame Brown and Ronny Turiaf.

"In terms of our roster, we haven't had his service on a consistent basis since last March," General Manager Mitch Kupchak said.

"We've had to learn to play without him. I'm disappointed for Chris. He's worked as hard as anybody could to get back."

Bynum, averaging 11.2 points and 7.2 rebounds before Friday's game against Detroit, was surprised to hear Mihm would be out the rest of the season.

"I'm ready to go though," Bynum said.

Mihm, 27, is in the last year of a contract that pays him $4.2 million this season.

The Lakers would still have to pay him if they waived him to sign a 15th player, an unlikely move in the near future. If they end up cutting him, the Lakers would lose the right that allows a team to bid more than another to keep its own free agents. The Lakers would consider re-signing Mihm only if he fully recovers.

Mihm averaged a career-best 10.2 points and 6.3 rebounds last season. He was originally acquired in August 2004 from the Boston Celtics in the trade that made Gary Payton an ex-Laker.

Mihm was injured after landing awkwardly on the foot of Seattle forward Rashard Lewis in the final minute of a March 12 game. Mihm, who had 20 points and 13 rebounds in that game, tore ligaments on both sides of his ankle.

He underwent arthroscopic surgery in July and felt enough pain during rehabilitation activities last month to stop his regimen for nine days. He resumed weight-bearing activity Oct. 23 but felt nighttime pain after a workout last week and could not continue with his rehabilitation the following morning.

He collected additional medical opinions from two different doctors in Baltimore this week and decided to go through with the procedure.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakerep11nov11,1,1034735.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&track=crosspromo

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 09:09 AM
so much for contract season.....he be good if we can get him cheap...thats if holt is going to open his purse

Bruno
11-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Lakers should try to get a PG by trading his expiring contract. To me, Lakers are a PG away to be a contender.