PDA

View Full Version : League probing Francis' injury

2Cleva
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Stu Jackson, the NBA's czar of discipline, said he was investigating Bruce Bowen's foot maneuver that led to Steve Francis' injury Monday. He also said there would not be a suspension, meaning Bowen will be available to play against the Knicks tonight in San Antonio.

Francis' availability is a "game-time" decision, according to Knicks coach Isiah Thomas.

Bowen has done the same thing to Vince Carter (twice), Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen and Vladimir Radmanovic, which is why Jackson is looking into it. But Jackson said he was concerned only that the Spurs forward has a tendency -- not necessarily intentional -- to move his feet under shooters when they jump. If so, Jackson simply wants to help him stop, but there won't be any disciplinary action.

"Oh, no," Jackson said. "In the past he hasn't allowed the shooter to come down. I'll look at the video evidence and see if it's the technique that he's using so that he can avoid in the future."

Jackson, who was at the Toyota Center last night, acknowledged that a foul should have been called on the play, in which Bowen stuck his left foot under Francis' left foot as he was coming down. Francis sprained his left ankle and has missed two games, including last night's against the Rockets.

Thomas wouldn't come out and say the play was dirty, but said he would have handled it differently if someone had done it to him.

"I'd beat the (stuffing) out of somebody," he said. "Really, I would. That's murder. Excuse me, but in the NBA, when you're in the air, you're really exposed and there's a certain code. Since grade school, the guy's up in the air, at any point in time you want to, you can take a guy out. There's certain things you just don't do."

Francis claims he doesn't think it was intentional by Bowen.

http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/116322707351090.xml&coll=1

SpursWillOwn
11-11-2006, 09:34 AM
"Francis claims he doesn't think it was intentional by Bowen." what's the point when even the victim does not feel that it's intentional?

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
BB is fuckn god, he will reign down on you with his almighty defense sliding his foot under your foot and break your fragile ankles whiney ballers....the only morons who are complainin about this is knicks fans, those moron gayray fans, or every mofo out there who is schooled by BB defense.

boutons_
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Richard Jefferson came down on his Heat defender's foot last night.
RJ was out for the evening.

Bruce should and can prevent his feet from getting under the jumpshooter.
Bruce is not that athletic, but he's not out of control.

Bruno
11-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Richard Jefferson came down on his Heat defender's foot last night.
RJ was out for the evening.

It was Shaq's foot and RJ is out for 4 to 8 weeks.
It looks more intentional than what happen with Bruce and Francis nut I guees that nobody will blame Shaq, double standart at his worst.

picnroll
11-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Bowen does have a bad habit, intentional or not, of turning toward the basket and stepping back with one foot after contesting a jumpshooter, while the shooter is in the air. He needs to stop that.

wildbill2u
11-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Dennis Rodman used to deliberately submarine a player in the air all the time. Dangerous stuff.

boutons_
11-11-2006, 10:43 AM
"4 to 8 weeks"

WTF? he walked to the dressing room unhelped and limping only slightly.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 10:43 AM
injuries is part of the game, and im sure BBs acts are not intentional....

Bruno
11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
"4 to 8 weeks"

WTF? he walked to the dressing room unhelped and limping only slightly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=776&line=70576&spln=1

Richard Jefferson has been diagnosed with a Grade 2 sprain after landing on Shaquille O'Neal's foot and is considered "out indefinitely."
A Grade 2 sprain involves at least some ligament damage, and in most cases requires four to eight weeks of recovery time. He'll undergo more tests this weekend, but it sounds like he's going to miss an extended period with this injury.

Kori Ellis
11-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Bowen has done the same thing to Vince Carter (twice), Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen and Vladimir Radmanovic,

If I remember correctly, Radmanovic was injured by Beno, not Bowen.

whottt
11-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Isiah calling someone out as a dirty player is like mouse calling someone out for trolling...

He knows his team has an asswhuppin in their immediate future and is trying to get an edge.

If the Spurs were to waive Bruce, Isiah would be the first guy in line to sign him.

As for the rest of it...maybe the league should just cut to the chase and make playing d illegal...why waste time with it?

dimsah
11-11-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't remember the Carmelo injury, and I only recall the one Vince Carter injury.
When were they?
Ray Allen shouldn't even be mentioned in this article simply because he's a bitch.

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't remember the Carmelo injury, and I only recall the one Vince Carter injury.
When were they?
Ray Allen shouldn't even be mentioned in this article simply because he's a bitch.

carmelo in 03/04 first game playoff, he fell on bowens foot, but continued to play on and won the fuckn game....i dont think he ever complain about BB...

LB7
11-11-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, I don't think Bowen would do that intentionally. However, the same thing happened to Josh Howard in the Golden State game. He was up in the air shooting and Pietrus ran forward through his body. Pietrus' right leg was between Howard's and thats the foot Howard stepped on. Pretty wicked sprain and unnecessary for Pietrus to run through his body in mid-air like that.

td4mvp21
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I don't think Bowen is doing it intentionally. It could be a good tactic, but it is dangerous and he needs to focus on actually JUMPING and contesting, as do the rest of the Spurs. He probably doesn't need to be sticking his foot out. Apparently that isn't working because the guys he has guarded this season have torched him.

timvp
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I still contend it was a dirty play by Bowen. There's no way you accidentally get your leg so far under someone that both of the opposing player's legs land on you. It just doesn't happen.

It was Shaq's foot and RJ is out for 4 to 8 weeks.
It looks more intentional than what happen with Bruce and Francis nut I guees that nobody will blame Shaq, double standart at his worst.

:lmao

Did you even see it? I'm hoping you are just trying to be funny.

ploto
11-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I still contend it was a dirty play by Bowen. There's no way you accidentally get your leg so far under someone that both of the opposing player's legs land on you. It just doesn't happen.

What makes it suspicious is to whom he does it and what kind of game they are having at the time.

Whatever the reason- intentional or not- he really does need to stop doing it.

whottt
11-11-2006, 01:13 PM
What makes it suspicious is to whom he does it and what kind of game they are having at the time.

True...no one has torn us up more than Stevie Franchise, and he was having a career game against us that night too.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-11-2006, 01:32 PM
If I remember correctly, Radmanovic was injured by Beno, not Bowen.

That's right, and Beno was knocked into Radmanovic by another player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Bruce should and can prevent his feet from getting under the jumpshooter.
Bruce is not that athletic, but he's not out of control

Eh, it looks like good fundamental box out technique to me. If they don't want players playing fundamental basketball or any defense, why don't they just outlaw it?

Bruno
11-11-2006, 01:54 PM
:lmao

Did you even see it? I'm hoping you are just trying to be funny.

My bad, I shouldn't watch games at 4:00am. :spin
I've mixed with a foul who Shaq did (against Marcus Williams ?) in this game where he tried to block a midrange jumper and put his foot under the jumpshooter.

whottt
11-11-2006, 03:01 PM
These guys should be thanking Bruce for discouraging them from taking shots with a defender in their face.

Bruce = Kind, Gentle, Loving and Helpful to his fellow players.

mavsfan1000
11-11-2006, 04:06 PM
These guys should be thanking Bruce for discouraging them from taking shots with a defender in their face.

Bruce = Kind, Gentle, Loving and Helpful to his fellow players.
lmao. Also Bowen is doing a favor by not letting Francis act like a moron on the court so he decides to make him sit on the bench. lol

SenorSpur
11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
I love Bruce, but I have to admit I'm suspicious about this. This appears to be such an unncessary tactic. The only sceanrios by which a defender can slide that far underneath a shooter while he's airborne is either the court is wet or the act is deliberate.

I don't think this is a tactic that he or any other player in the league should use. Any such tactic that "unnecessarily" increases the risk toward player injury should be outlawed.

Obviously, there are already enough situations that take place on the court where the risk of injury is great that cannot be avoided. This is one situation that can be avoided.

Personally, I hope the league advises ALL players to avoid using this tactic.

spurtime
11-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I do think it's deliberate, but I also like the fear he puts in opponents' hearts...Plus it's their ankles not mine, so...

Stand
11-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Talk about a bunch of homers. It would be one thing if this was the first time Bruce has done this, but it is a pretty common thing on his part. After about the third time this stopped being an accident.

spurtime
11-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Talk about a bunch of homers. It would be one thing if this was the first time Bruce has done this, but it is a pretty common thing on his part. After about the third time this stopped being an accident.

I agree that I'm a homer and I agree it isn't an accident...I just don't care.

bobbyjoe
11-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I love Bruce, but I have to admit I'm suspicious about this. This appears to be such an unncessary tactic. The only sceanrios by which a defender can slide that far underneath a shooter while he's airborne is either the court is wet or the act is deliberate.

I don't think this is a tactic that he or any other player in the league should use. Any such tactic that "unnecessarily" increases the risk toward player injury should be outlawed.

Obviously, there are already enough situations that take place on the court where the risk of injury is great that cannot be avoided. This is one situation that can be avoided.

Personally, I hope the league advises ALL players to avoid using this tactic.

They only need to advise one player to stop using this tactic, because there's only one guy in the NBA who does it!

I love the honesty that some are showing here, it's very refreshing "Bruce's dirty but since he's a Spur I don't care who he goes out to injure"

spurtime
11-11-2006, 07:25 PM
I love the honesty that some are showing here, it's very refreshing "Bruce's dirty but since he's a Spur I don't care who he goes out to injure"

Thanks
:hat

Obstructed_View
11-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Bowen's job is to lock down on a scorer every night. That means he's covering the guy on the other team who typically takes more shots than anyone else times 82 games. If Bowen wanted to do it on purpose he could probably snap about six ankles a year. If nothing else, mathematically it should happen by accident a dozen times more often with Bowen than with anyone else. It doesn't. It's weak gamesmanship by a bunch of losers.

bobbyjoe
11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
You can be a lock down defender without sliding your foot underneath a hot shooter to try take him out.

See Andre Kirilenko, Sean Marion, Gary Payton in his day, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, etc.

There's a huge difference between good hard nosed defense and being dirty. There's a reason that people didnt call any of the aforementioned players Dirty but respected their D.

Those guys also aggressively defended the other team's best scorer every night, but you never saw them undercut others as often as Bruce does.

spurtime
11-11-2006, 08:19 PM
These are professional athletes and the ultimate goal is to win a title. If they don't like what Bruce is doing, too bad. Find another field of work that doesn't risk ankle sprains.

Amarelooms
11-12-2006, 12:31 AM
These are professional athletes and the ultimate goal is to win a title. If they don't like what Bruce is doing, too bad. Find another field of work that doesn't risk ankle sprains.

Or just do what Josh Howard did and pimp slap Bowen....

smeagol
11-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Bowen does have a bad habit, intentional or not, of turning toward the basket and stepping back with one foot after contesting a jumpshooter, while the shooter is in the air. He needs to stop that.
Just as much as Manu should turn his flopping doen a notch.

spurtime
11-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Or just do what Josh Howard did and pimp slap Bowen....

And risk getting kicked out of the game? Exactly what we want...go ahead.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
You can be a lock down defender without sliding your foot underneath a hot shooter to try take him out.
Which Bruce does about 85-90 times a year. Again, if he were trying to do it it'd happen way more often and he certainly woudn't do it against the worst team in the league.

At least Francis went straight up and Bowen's foot was there, which means they could have whistled him for a foul. Crawford jumped two feet forward, so Isiah is a fucking idiot for getting his ass in the air over it.

Stand
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Which Bruce does about 85-90 times a year. Again, if he were trying to do it it'd happen way more often and he certainly woudn't do it against the worst team in the league.

He does happen more often, but not everyone gets hurt.

Following the Ray Allen crying to the media I was watching SA v. the Lakers, and keep in mind that at this time I thought all the stuff about Bruce was BS. Then plain as day Bruce does it to Kobe, and no it don't look in any way, shape, or form accidental. Kobe looked pissed as hell, but kept his complaints in the game.

boutons_
11-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Bruce under-cutting Vince was a 3G shot.

If Bruce is boxing out 15 - 30 ft from the rim, Bruce facing and putting his foot outward to the shooter is a pretty weird way to box out. But he's not boxing out, he's under-cutting the shooter. Bruce must stop it, it won't crimp his game, or end up being known as Mr. Reasonable, Mature Nice Guy in interviews and with homers with an enduring rep for under-cutting shooters among the players and coaches.

Obstructed_View
11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
He does happen more often, but not everyone gets hurt.

Following the Ray Allen crying to the media I was watching SA v. the Lakers, and keep in mind that at this time I thought all the stuff about Bruce was BS. Then plain as day Bruce does it to Kobe, and no it don't look in any way, shape, or form accidental. Kobe looked pissed as hell, but kept his complaints in the game.
The only game against the Lakers after the Sonics that year was 26 games later. Are you trying to tell me that someone lands on Bowen's foot every 26 games but only two in his entire career have gotten hurt? How again does that make Bowen dirty?

Obstructed_View
11-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Bruce under-cutting Vince was a 3G shot.

If Bruce is boxing out 15 - 30 ft from the rim, Bruce facing and putting his foot outward to the shooter is a pretty weird way to box out. But he's not boxing out, he's under-cutting the shooter. Bruce must stop it, it won't crimp his game, or end up being known as Mr. Reasonable, Mature Nice Guy in interviews and with homers with an enduring rep for under-cutting shooters among the players and coaches.
Yeah, because the NBA officials and the league office are homers. :lol

ChumpDumper
11-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Manu and Tim have turned ankles landing on Dirk, therefore Dirk is dirty.

Right?

Obstructed_View
11-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Right?
Must be. Kirilenko is out with a sprained ankle. Time for the league to investigate Ersan Ilyasova.

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:15 AM

See Andre Kirilenko, Sean Marion, Gary Payton in his day, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, etc.
There's a huge difference between good hard nosed defense and being dirty. There's a reason that people didnt call any of the aforementioned players Dirty but respected their D.

Those guys also aggressively defended the other team's best scorer every night, but you never saw them undercut others as often as Bruce does.

And which one of the aforementioned isn't an ass kissing all star.....of course it's easy to point fingers at bruce he's a nobody...is shaq dirty too? ...RJ landed on his big ass foot but you don't hear the league investigating
good lord ....it must be part of playing ball ! the way i see it...we are all quick to judge...why can't it be about basketball....Francis sprained his foot...KNICKS got their ass kicked...(twice) bruce did his job [played the uncultivated defense] and spurs won...leave it on the floor!!!!!!

phxspurfan
11-13-2006, 12:28 AM

Right?

Absolutely. Dirk is straight up Eurotrash.

ponky
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM
oh how nice of stu, he'll hold little bruce's hand to HELP HIM STOP...jesus christ, he's not in frickin' rehab, just tell him to cut the shit already, i wonder who he's blowing to get away with all the crap he's able to pull, it's pretty damn impressive even if annoying

phxspurfan
11-13-2006, 12:30 AM
And which one of the aforementioned isn't an ass kissing all star.....of course it's easy to point fingers at bruce he's a nobody...is shaq dirty too? ...RJ landed on his big ass foot but you don't hear the league investigating
good lord ....it must be part of playing ball ! the way i see it...we are all quick to judge...why can't it be about basketball....Francis sprained his foot...KNICKS got their ass kicked...(twice) bruce did his job [played the uncultivated defense] and spurs won...leave it on the floor!!!!!!

have you ever had this happen to you? Undercutting its a dirty play every time and completely preventable.

Kori Ellis
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
oh how nice of stu, he'll hold little bruce's hand to HELP HIM STOP...jesus christ, he's not in frickin' rehab, just tell him to cut the shit already, i wonder who he's blowing to get away with all the crap he's able to pull, it's pretty damn impressive even if annoying

I understood the league already has reviewed it after Isiah's complaint and has decided to take no action.

Is that incorrect?

ponky
11-13-2006, 12:40 AM
I understood the league already has reviewed it after Isiah's complaint and has decided to take no action.

Is that incorrect?

Of course it's not incorrect, the league will do nothing when it comes to Bowen and his antics, he's a GRRRRRRRRREAT defensive player. Excuse my sarcasm, it's really annoying for most people that aren't Spurs fans, nothing personal. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch the Spurs/Rockets game Tuesday night.

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
stu and stern is not goin to do anything......they scared bruce bowen will wait for them outside there office and slide his foot under them and break their ankles......

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:42 AM
nope...can't say it has. But just like whinning and ref complaining and carrying the ball i think its part of the game. Sometimes injuries happen. I am sure Bruce is not intentionally doing it. He's playing his game. If that means people land on him what can he do...we are all accusing bruce but if he gives up his game he's lost already! He's not in the league for his personality or offense or to endorse shoes..... he made it to the NBA playing hard nosed defense.You want him to adjust his defense how bout asking the vince's and allen's to adjust their offense????????

injuries happen everyday in everysport...let's accuse the shoes while were at it...(like in TIM's case last year)

LilMissSPURfect
11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
stu and stern is not goin to do anything......they scared bruce bowen will wait for them outside there office and slide his foot under them and break their ankles......

:ihit :ihit :lol

Louie Vega
11-13-2006, 04:18 AM
I don't think you people are taking this serious enough! They are looking to take away our best defender! This could be a huge problem for the Spurs if they really are looking at the way Bowen plays D. Especially if they want him to change his defensive style!

Kori Ellis
11-13-2006, 04:23 AM
I don't think you people are taking this serious enough! They are looking to take away our best defender! This could be a huge problem for the Spurs if they really are looking at the way Bowen plays D. Especially if they want him to change his defensive style!

I believe the league already reviewed their complaint and decided to take no action.

Louie Vega
11-13-2006, 04:25 AM
I believe the league already reviewed their complaint and decided to take no action.

Knowing Stern and the outrageous rules he has implemented this year I would say that this subject is far from over. I think we will be hearing more about this in the future.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Knowing Bruce and the fact that he keeps his jersey tucked in and doesn't taunt opponents, I would say that this subject is over until the next prima donna whines about him and ignorant media types attribute every Spur-related injury in the past seven years to him.

Stand
11-13-2006, 05:19 AM
The only game against the Lakers after the Sonics that year was 26 games later. Are you trying to tell me that someone lands on Bowen's foot every 26 games but only two in his entire career have gotten hurt? How again does that make Bowen dirty?

So your reasoning is that it isn't dirty b/c no one got hurt? That is about as good as everyone saying Bruce couldn't have done it on purpose b/c he doesn't taunt his opponent afterwards or Bruce is too nice to do that. lol Give me a break. The dude is cut throat when it comes to D and this little habit of his happens way to often to be excused.

Bruno
11-13-2006, 06:27 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111306.4D.spurs.304c0e0.html

NBA continues investigating Bowen, but not Thomas

Web Posted: 11/13/2006 12:16 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The NBA continues to investigate Bruce Bowen's role in the injury of New York guard Steve Francis, but, for now, has no plans to punish Knicks coach Isiah Thomas for the threats he made Saturday night, a league spokesman said Sunday.

Thomas accused Bowen of stepping under Knicks guard Jamal Crawford in Saturday's first quarter and was overheard yelling at his players to "break his (expletive) foot!" Bowen said after the game that Thomas also threatened to have the Knicks break his neck.

The incident came five days after Francis sprained his left ankle when he landed on Bowen's foot after a shot attempt. A foul wasn't called on the play and league officials initially said Bowen wouldn't be suspended or fined.

However, Stu Jackson, who handles disciplinary issues as the NBA's executive vice president of basketball operations, has since decided to give the incident a more thorough review. A league spokesman said Sunday the case remains "active."

The same spokesman also said that, as of Sunday afternoon, Jackson didn't expect to discipline Thomas.

Spurs officials said the league has yet to contact them about the play involving Francis. They declined comment when asked whether Thomas should be punished.

Thomas said after the game he was merely trying to protect Crawford and motivate his team, which looked listless for much of the first quarter.

"Jamal went up to take the shot and as he was coming down, Bruce's foot was under him," Thomas said. "He would've come down on his foot. He could've broke his ankle, sprained his ankle and been out like Francis and everybody else.

"What (Bowen's) doing when his foot is under another player in the air, that can end somebody's career. I really don't think it's intentional, but it definitely has hurt one of our guys and I didn't want (him) to hurt a second (player)."

Bowen and Thomas each received technicals. Thomas and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich also had a heated, but brief, exchange on the sideline with Popovich yelling, "Don't talk to my player," and Thomas shouting, "Tell your player not to keep sticking his foot under my players."

The two coaches smiled and shook hands after the game. Popovich downplayed the incident and compared it to the talk-show frenzy Cleveland's LeBron James created last week when he started to leave the court before the end of a game.

"LeBron walked to the end of the court and all of a sudden it's like he's a traitor to his country the way the stories go," Popovich said. "It's no big deal."

This was far from the first time a coach has yelled at an opposing player. But the tone of Thomas' comments — and the fact they were made one day after he told reporters in Houston he would "murder" any player who put his foot under him — could merit a review.

NBA commissioner David Stern has made it a priority to improve the on-court decorum of the league's players.

"Bruce didn't do anything," said Tim Duncan, who criticized Thomas' actions. "Bruce defends people and people get frustrated. It was unfortunate what happened last time with (Francis) and you can ask (him) personally. He knows there's not anybody out there trying to hurt anybody.

"We're all basketball players and none of us want to be hurt. It's our intention to play as hard as we can and as well as we can."

Obstructed_View
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
So your reasoning is that it isn't dirty b/c no one got hurt? That is about as good as everyone saying Bruce couldn't have done it on purpose b/c he doesn't taunt his opponent afterwards or Bruce is too nice to do that. lol Give me a break. The dude is cut throat when it comes to D and this little habit of his happens way to often to be excused.
My reasoning is that you are completely full of shit. You basically made an incident up to make it look related to the Ray Allen thing, and I called you out on it and you didn't bother to respond other than to spout your opinion again.

You so far have NOTHING remotely concrete to back up your claim that Bruce Bowen is dirty. You say it happens "too often", but you seem unable to give any actual examples of it.

Louie Vega
11-15-2006, 02:43 AM

So Stu has warned Bruce about his style of play? He wants our best defender to change his ways. This isn't good. I think that all those players that have it out for Bruce will find a way to take advantage of this. I predict that before this season is through Bruce will be fined and maybe even suspended. Either that or Bruce's opponents scoring will pick up alot due to Bruce not wanting a bullshit foul called on him. Please read the story before you reply.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111506.07C.BKNspurs.notebook.88b40e0.html