PDA

View Full Version : Payton exercises option, will be back with Lakers

ducks
06-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Payton exercises option, will be back with Lakers

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
June 22, 2004
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Gary Payton will remain with the Los Angeles Lakers next season, exercising a $5.4 million option despite struggling throughout his first year with the team.

``It's something we expected,'' Lakers spokesman John Black said Tuesday. Payton, who turns 36 next month, had until Wednesday to make a decision.

Payton's decision all but assures the Lakers of having at least one of their four stars back next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant opted out of his contract late last week to become an unrestricted free agent and Shaquille O'Neal has requested a trade. Karl Malone, who joined the Lakers last summer, said he will only play next season if he is 100 percent healthy. He re-injured his right knee during the NBA Finals and will learn in the next couple of weeks how severe it is.

Payton joined the Lakers last summer, taking a huge pay cut in hopes of winning the first championship of his career. But the Lakers were beaten in five games by the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, and Payton struggled -- shooting 9-of-28 and averaging 4.2 points.

The nine-time All-Star admitted after Game 2 against the Pistons that he had lost his confidence.

Payton had a difficult time with the Lakers' triangle offense, but started all 104 games the team played -- 82 in the regular season and 22 in the playoffs.

He averaged 14.6 points -- his lowest since the 1992-93 season -- and a career-low 4.2 assists in the regular season and 7.8 points and 5.3 assists in the playoffs. He averaged 18.3 points over his first 13 seasons.

``I joined the Lakers organization last season to win an NBA championship, and that is still my goal,'' Payton said in a statement issued by his agent, Aaron Goodwin. ``I look forward to the opportunity to play like the GP of the past; the GP that Dr. Buss brought in here in the first place.

``With this decision, it is my hope that the team will stay intact and together we can bring a championship back to the city of Los Angeles.''

Payton's decision to return was made easier by the Lakers' announcement Friday that Phil Jackson wouldn't be back as coach. Asked during the playoffs about playing for Jackson, Payton refused comment.

The triangle offense is one that revolves around passing and spacing, while Payton likes to run the offense himself.

``I'm more of a (guy who) wants to handle the ball, control the ball, penetrate, get eight or nine assists and take 10 or 11 shots off floaters and runners,'' he said before the finals. ``That's my game. I'm not a shooter. I'm more of a scorer.''

Payton played more than 12 1/2 seasons with the Seattle SuperSonics before being traded to Milwaukee during the 2002-2003 season. He played 28 games with the Bucks.

Payton joined the Lakers as their midlevel exception for $4.9 million. One of his best performances came in his very first game, when he had 21 points, nine assists and seven rebounds in a 109-93 victory over the Dallas Mavericks, which Bryant sat out with a sore knee.

Bryant, in Colorado on Tuesday for a hearing in his sexual assault case, can't sign with anyone -- including the Lakers -- until the middle of next month at the earliest. To trade O'Neal would be extremely difficult because he is under contract for $27.9 million next season.

General manager Mitch Kupchak has said he hopes O'Neal can be persuaded to stay. O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, refused comment Tuesday.

Black wouldn't comment on the coaching search. Former Houston Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich was reportedly meeting with owner Jerry Buss and Kupchak on Tuesday to discuss the job. Kupchak said Monday he planned to interview more than one person and fewer than 10.

Derek Fisher, who has played for the Lakers since 1996, has until Thursday to decide whether he'll opt out of his contract or play for the Lakers at a salary of $3 million next season.

Fishers' agent, Mark Bartlestein, said Fisher will probably wait until Thursday to make a decision, adding that Payton's decision wouldn't have a bearing on what his client does. Fisher said last Friday he'd like to return to the Lakers.