PDA

View Full Version : Borat is scum!!!

gtownspur
11-11-2006, 08:22 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

NBaDan will have a field day with this!!!

Borat film 'tricked' poor village actors
By BOJAN PANCEVSKI and CARMIOLA IONESCU, Mail on Sunday

Last updated at 21:25pm on 11th November 2006

Reader comments (0)

(Top) Borat introduces his sister, a 'prostitute'. (Bottom) One-armed Nicu Tudorache feels ashamed.
HeadlinesRecycling 'failures' punished by getting smaller wheelie bin
Downing Street fury with police over loans for honours probe
Driver killed in head-on crash as two police cars test new speed camera
Cherie tour off as ticket sales flop
Caught on camera again: The Poppy Thief who has sickened Britain
Labour's stance on race 'has legitimised BNP'
Revealed: Freddie was behind THAT No10 leak
Home And Away star loses her battle with cancer
Archbishop: Ministers' PC Christmas cards 'erode Christianity'
Outrage at London sting by US spies
Remedial lessons for Cambridge's 'dumbed down' French students
Ex-prime minister's son settles for trains
Tax payers shell out £15,000 to kit out High Court judges
Miliband, the anti-car Minister who never uses public transport
NEWS HOMEPAGE
When Sacha Baron Cohen wanted a village to represent the impoverished Kazakh home of his character Borat, he found the perfect place in Glod: a remote mountain outpost with no sewerage or running water and where locals eke out meagre livings peddling scrap iron or working patches of land.

• Watch the trailer for Borat's movie here

But now the villagers of this tiny, close-knit community have angrily accused the comedian of exploiting them, after discovering his new blockbuster film portrays them as a backward group of rapists, abortionists and prostitutes, who happily engage in casual incest.

They claim film-makers lied to them about the true nature of the project, which they believed would be a documentary about their hardship, rather than a comedy mocking their poverty and isolation.

Villagers say they were paid just £3 each for this humiliation, for a film that took around £27million at the worldwide box office in its first week of release.

Now they are planning to scrape together whatever modest sums they can muster to sue Baron Cohen and fellow film-makers, claiming they never gave their consent to be so cruelly misrepresented.

Disabled Nicu Tudorache said: This is disgusting. They conned us into doing all these things and never told us anything about what was going on. They made us look like primitives, like uncivilised savages. Now they,re making millions but have only paid us 15 lei [around £3].

Cambridge-educated Baron Cohen filmed the opening scenes of the Borat movie in Glod - a village that is actually in Romania, rather than Kazakhstan, and whose name literally translates as 'mud', last summer.

Its 1,000 residents live in dilapidated huts in the shadow of the Carpathian mountains. Toilets are little more than sheltered holes in the ground and horses and donkeys are the only source of transport.

Just four villagers have permanent employment in the nearby towns of Pucioasa or Fieni, while the rest live off what little welfare benefits they get.

So when a Hollywood film crew descended on a nearby run-down motel last September, with their flashy cars and expensive equipment, locals thought their lowly community might finally be getting some of the investment it so desperately needs.

The crew was led by a man villagers describe as 'nice and friendly, if a bit weird and ugly', who they later learned was Baron Cohen. It is thought the producers chose the region because locals more closely resembled his comic creation than genuine Kazakhs.

The comedian insisted on travelling everywhere with bulky bodyguards, because, as one local said: 'He seemed to think there were crooks among us.'

While the rest of the crew based themselves in the motel, Baron Cohen stayed in a hotel in Sinaia, a nearby ski resort a world away from Glod's grinding poverty. He would come to the village every morning to do 'weird things', such as bringing animals inside the run-down homes, or have the village children filmed holding weapons.

Mr Tudorache, a deeply religious grandfather who lost his arm in an accident, was one of those who feels most humiliated. For one scene, a rubber sex toy in the shape of a fist was attached to the stump of his missing arm - but he had no idea what it was.

Only when The Mail on Sunday visited him did he find out. He said he was ashamed, confessing that he only agreed to be filmed because he hoped to top up his £70-a-month salary - although in the end he was paid just £3.

He invited us into his humble home and brought out the best food and drink his family had. Visibly disturbed, he said shakily: 'Someone from the council said these Americans need a man with no arm for some scenes. I said yes but I never imagined the whole country, or even the whole world, will see me in the cinemas ridiculed in this way. This is disgusting.

'Our region is very poor, and everyone is trying hard to get out of this misery. It is outrageous to exploit people's misfortune like this to laugh at them.

'We are now coming together and will try to hire a lawyer and take legal action for being cheated and exploited. We are simple folk and don't know anything about these things, but I have faith in God and justice.'

If the village does sue the film-makers, they won't be the first. Last week, two unnamed college students who were caught on film drunkenly making racist and sexist comments took legal action, claiming the production team plied them with alcohol and falsely promised that the footage would never be seen in America.

Many other unwitting victims of Baron Cohen's pranks have also spoken out against the way they were conned and - unsurprisingly - the rulers of Kazakhstan have long taken issue with the image Borat paints of their vast, oil-rich nation.

The residents of Glod only found out about the true nature of the film after seeing a Romanian TV report. Some thought it was an art project, others a documentary.

The Mail on Sunday showed them the cinema trailer - the first footage they had seen from the film. Many were on the brink of tears as they saw how they were portrayed.

Claudia Luca, who lives with her extended family in the house next to the one that served as Borat's home, said: 'We now realise they only came here because we are poorer than anyone else in this village. They never told us what they were doing but took advantage of our misfortune and poverty. They made us look like savages, why would anyone do that?'

Her brother-in law Gheorghe Luca owns the house that stood in for Borat's - which the film-makers adorned by bringing a live cow into his living room.

Luca, who now refers to Baron Cohen as to the 'ugly, tall, moustachioed American man', even though the 35-year-old comedian is British, said: 'They paid my family £30 for four full days. They were nice and friendly, but we could not understand a single word they were saying.

'It was very uncomfortable at the end and there was animal manure all over our home. We endured it because we are poor and badly needed the money, but now we realise we were cheated and taken advantage of in the worst way.

'All those things they said about us in the film are terribly humiliating. They said we drink horse urine and sleep with our own kin. You say it's comedy, but how can someone laugh at that?'

Spirea Ciorobea, who played the 'village mechanic and abortionist', said: 'What I saw looks disgusting. Even if we are uneducated and poor, it is not fair that someone does this to us.'

He remembered wondering why the crew took an old, broken Dacia car and turned it into a horse cart. He said: 'We all thought they were a bit crazy, but now its seems they wanted to show that it is us who drive around in carts like that.'

Local councillor Nicolae Staicu helped the crew with their shooting, but he claims he was never told what sort of movie they were making, and that they failed to get a proper permit for filming.

Staicu, who had never dealt with a film crew before, said: 'I was happy they came and I thought it would be useful for our country, but they never bothered to ask for a permit, let alone pay the official fees.

'I realise I should have taken some legal steps but I was simply naive enough to believe that they actually wanted to do something good for the community here.

'They came with bodyguards and expensive cars and just went on with their job, so we assumed someone official in the capital Bucharest had let them film.'

Bogdan Moncea of Castel Film, the Bucharest-based production company that helped the filming in Romania, said the crew donated computers and TV sets to the local school and the villagers. But the locals have denied this.

Mr Staicu said: 'The school got some notebooks, but that was it. People are angry now, they feel cheated.'

It's a feeling Glod is used to. The village, like others in the Dambovita region of Romania, is populated mainly by gipsies who say they are discriminated against by the rest of the country.

Indeed, when local vice-mayor Petre Buzea was asked whether the people felt offended by Baron Cohen's film, he replied: 'They got paid so I am sure they are happy. These gipsies will even kill their own father for money.'

:lmao :lmao :lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one from the 20th Century Fox studio was available for comment on the villagers' claims.

But feelings in Glod are running so high that The Mail on Sunday saw angry villagers brandishing farm implements chase out a local TV crew, shouting that they had enough of being exploited.

It is small comfort that few, if any, of them will get to see the Borat film. Not a single villager we spoke to had ever been able to afford a trip to the nearest cinema, 20 miles away.

Perhaps that's the real reason why film-makers chose Glod in the first place.

Bob Lanier
11-11-2006, 08:30 PM
http://www.bigdaddymerk.co.uk/mailwatchnew/wp-content/uploads/1453591.gifhttp://www.bigdaddymerk.co.uk/mailwatchnew/wp-content/uploads/1449144.jpghttp://www.bigdaddymerk.co.uk/mailwatchnew/wp-content/uploads/31aug06mail.JPG

gtownspur
11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
So what?

Most of the major Euro rags and news outfits have a tabloid style layout.

Doesn't mean that this publication is bullshiting this out. THis seems legit.

dallaskd
11-11-2006, 09:57 PM
so what

...Ducan is cum :spin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah, that's the poorest of behaviour by people who should know better, but what do you expect? Baron-Cohen has based his whole career on manipulating situations to make people look stupid.

I hope the villagers get some sort of settlement out of the production company so they can improve their lives.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Read contracts before you sign them.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Chump, we're talking about people in a remote rural village who probably have very little education. Contract, what is that?

Baron-Cohen should have known better, or at least paid these people properly. How is what he did any different from what sweatshops do, that is, profit from people in a powerless position?

Bob Lanier
11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
It's not. But, much like the blackface minstrel shows of 19th century America, and the racist vaudeville shows of early 20th century America (the forms of which Baron-Cohen echoes blatantly while trying to pretend that the flimsy defense of irony keeps his hands clean), there's a market, and someone will always exploit the market.

That, of course, applies to hate-filled populist propaganda rags like the Daily Mail as well, as I was trying to show with the now-invisible images in #2.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Chump, we're talking about people in a remote rural village who probably have very little education. Contract, what is that?It's something they signed. It's a fair bet they had to sign something to get on the dole, isn't it?
Baron-Cohen should have known better, or at least paid these people properly.Sounds like he did. All Sasha had to do was stick to local law.
How is what he did any different from what sweatshops do, that is, profit from people in a powerless position?How are they powerless? Their lives don't depend on being in a movie once in their lives like sweatshop workers' lives depend on their jobs.

nkdlunch
11-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Gipsies will most definitely put a curse on sasha and his family. he is a dead man

Nbadan
11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
BORAT star Sacha Baron Cohen was beaten up by a passer-by after he tried to play a prank as his alter ego.

He approached the man and said: “I like your clothings. Are nice! Please may I buying? I want have sex with it.”

But the bystander didn’t see the joke. He took one look at Cohen and punched him in the face.

The funnyman — known for his Borat catchphrase “Jagshemash!” — yelled for help but was slugged again and again.

He was rescued by actor pal Hugh Laurie who had been on his way to a New York bar with Cohen.

The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006520669,00.html)

:ihit

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Good point Bob.

Chump, they were clearly exploited. Hell they were paid the equivalent of about $6US and never told what the footage would be used for. Oh, and I can't see anywhere in the article where it says that they "signed" anything or were presented with contracts.

As for my sweatshop analogy - a rich, priveleged foreigner came into their country, paid them in beads, and is now making tens of millions from exploiting their poverty for laughs. That's a close enough parallel for me:

"Only when The Mail on Sunday visited him did he find out. He said he was ashamed, confessing that he only agreed to be filmed because he hoped to top up his £70-a-month salary - although in the end he was paid just £3."

If they'd gone in and said "look, we want to take the piss out of your village so we can make money, but in return here's a cheque for $500,000 so you can put in sanitation, fix up your roads, etc." I'd have no argument with them. What they did is went into a village of poor people, made fun of them and gave them a pittance for ridicule on a worldwide stage.

Not good enough.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Chump, they were clearly exploited. Hell they were paid the equivalent of about $6US and never told what the footage would be used for. Oh, and I can't see anywhere in the article where it says that they "signed" anything or were presented with contracts.I'm just going by how filming in the US took place. It certainly could have been different there, but production companies are usually pretty learned in local contract law.
Only when The Mail on Sunday visited him did he find out. He said he was ashamed, confessing that he only agreed to be filmed because he hoped to top up his £70-a-month salary - although in the end he was paid just £3.73 > 70. Sounds topped up to me.
If they'd gone in and said "look, we want to take the piss out of your village so we can make money, but in return here's a cheque for $500,000 so you can put in sanitation, fix up your roads, etc." I'd have no argument with them. What they did is went into a village of poor people, made fun of them and gave them a pittance for ridicule on a worldwide stage.:lmao You think they would fix their roads if you gave them half a million dollars?
Not good enough.Good enough for what? It's a movie. They just sound pissed they didn't make more money. I'll wait until all the real facts are in, but it's a fair bet if the film was a flop we never would have heard of any of this.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2006, 08:55 PM
"73>70" No shit, genius. Why are you condescending to me? The point I was making is that these people live on US$140/month, and were given $6 each by the film people. Are you telling me that's not exploitation? That's what I would call "dealing in beads".

They sounded pissed that they were expoited to me, and that is because they weren't paid properly nor told the true intent of the film makers.

The point is not what they'd do with the money, that's their business, it's that they were paid pittance and misled.

Hell, if they were paid actors equity extras rates, which would probably amount to a couple of hundred dollars each, and told what was going on, we'd probably not be having this discussion.

Ozzman
11-13-2006, 09:07 PM
HEll the shit's funny...whats the god damn problem??

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
"73>70" No shit, genius. Why are you condescending to me? The point I was making is that these people live on US$140/month, and were given $6 each by the film people. Are you telling me that's not exploitation? That's what I would call "dealing in beads".Eh, it's all relative. Increasing your month's income by 4-5% isn't bad.
They sounded pissed that they were expoited to me, and that is because they weren't paid properly nor told the true intent of the film makers.Is there even the possibility that these guys knew what they were getting into and are now just pissed that they didn't ask for more money up front? These people are adults, not children.
The point is not what they'd do with the money, that's their business, it's that they were paid pittance and misled.What exactly were they promised? If they thought is was a documentary, why did they allow animals to be let into their homes and have their children hold firearms? Is that what they think documentaries are?
Hell, if they were paid actors equity extras ratesIf they all had SAG cards, they wouldn't live in a town named Mud.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, they sure are coming out of the woodwork now, aren't they?

'Borat' victims upset at being duped

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer Mon Nov 13, 5:16 PM ET

NEW YORK - While teaching American humor to a gregarious and absurdly out-of-touch foreign journalist, Pat Haggerty realized something was off — who WAS this guy?
ADVERTISEMENT

Haggerty, a public speaking coach from Washington, is one of the unwitting co-stars of the surprise hit movie "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit of Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan." Haggerty has no hard feelings toward Borat, aka comedian
Sacha Baron Cohen — but the same can't be said for others who were humiliated, thanks to the awkward fellow with the bushy mustache.

Their embarrassment over the film's hilarious, cringe-inducing blend of fiction and improvised comedy is magnified by its success — "Borat" has topped the box office two weeks in a row, earning a total of $67.8 million.

Last year, Haggerty agreed to be filmed for what he thought was a benign documentary on his client's journey across America. He hurriedly signed a release form, was paid $400, and the lesson began.

As cameras rolled, his client told raunchy stories in garbled English and laughed heartily at the expense of handicapped people. "And then, I'm starting to smell a rat," Haggerty told The Associated Press. "Each passing minute I'm going, `You know, this can't be real.'"

Confused, he ended up playing along. He later figured out — thanks to his son, an HBO-watching college student — that he'd been duped.

Duped by Borat.

"They were exercising a First Amendment right," said Haggerty, adding that he enjoyed the movie. "And this Sacha Cohen guy's going to make 87 gazillion dollars. You know, good for him. I'm just sorry that he had to do it in such a way that he allowed people to make jerks out of themselves exposing their character flaws."

Two of Cohen's targets — fraternity boys who made drunken, insulting comments about women and minorities — are suing 20th Century Fox and three production companies. The lawsuit claims that a production crew took the students to a bar to "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States, and that they signed waivers after drinking heavily. Studio spokesman Gregg Brilliant said the lawsuit "has no merit."

Cohen's behavior also wasn't funny to former TV producer Dharma Arthur, who claims she was duped into giving Cohen airtime on a morning show segment in Jackson, Miss. Cohen's live appearance, in which he said he had to go "urine" and hugged a bemused weatherman, led her life into a downward spiral, she told the AP. She is seeking an apology.

Although Arthur has said she was fired from the show, she told the AP that she left the station.

Kathie Martin, who runs an etiquette school in Birmingham, Ala., was also left out of the joke. Even though she was gracious and calm when Borat showed her nude photos of his son, Martin admitted she was "taken aback" by his schtick during their on-camera meeting.

"Unless you can figure it out for yourself, you have no way of knowing you have been tricked into being part of a childish prank with an R rating attached," she told the AP in an e-mail.

"And even if you figure it out, you've signed a release that Mr. Cohen's people say relinquishes any rights on your part to take action against them."

Ronald Miller, of Natchez, Miss., was baffled by the ruse. He and his wife attended a dinner at a plantation house, which they were told would be an interview with an "Eastern European television reporter coming to Natchez to film social customs in the South," he told the AP.

Borat disturbed guests, Miller said, by making anti-Semitic remarks and saying slavery was wonderful. He also invited a dinner guest — a woman posing as a prostitute — to join the group.

In another scene in the film, former "Baywatch" babe
Pamela Anderson was attacked by Borat's alter ego at a book signing, and he later chased her through a parking lot.

Did she learn of his antics in advance? Yep, claims Anderson.

"I love Borat ... Of course (Sacha) and I planned this years ago," she wrote in a recent post on her Web site. "And it turned out perfect — I'm so happy for him."

___

Associated Press Writer Kathy Hanrahan contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061113/ap_en_mo/film_borat_s_victims

I guess we can now judge who deserves sympathy and which ones are just dumbasses.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
BTW - here is an article with links to the legal releases used in the US. I don't know about you but the number of times the word "waived" is used would give me at least a little pause.

http://www.slate.com/id/2151865/

Finally, about the Gloddians -- Glodsters? Glodarians? How can they say Glod's inhabitants were portrayed as savages when the audience thinks they are all from Khazakstan?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Chump, the world is full of power relationships, and in this power relationship, the rich Westerner used his power to take what he wanted and gave back a handful of beads, much along the lines of the history of colonialism. These people may be adults, but they are obviously not empowered or they would have known better. You or I would've told him to get fvcked or pay us properly because we have a degree of power these people obviously didn't have, probably as a result of our education and the social rights enshrined in our societies.

As I said, even a few hundred dollars each and there probably would not have been a story. It is only a story because he so obviously ripped these people off by throwing beads at them and then humiliating them in front of the world.

I usually agree with your take on things, but in this case I can't believe you believe Baron-Cohen acted fairly.

As for what he did in the US, I have no qualms. If people sign waivers, it's on their head.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think it was fair, but it doesn't have to be. If you think a few hundred dollars will do it, that's likely what they will get.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Nothing "has to be" anything, but you'd think an Oxford- (or was it Cambridge-?) educated, affluent Westerner, who knew his movie would make megabucks (and let's face it, that was pretty much a lock), might have the conscience to treat the people who underpin his success with some sort of decency... oh, no, sorry, that's right, we live in the real world where no-one gives a fuck and everyone treats each other like shit, and we shouldn't even hope for better, let alone hold anyone to any sort of standards of civilised behaviour.

So sorry, clearly my bad.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm glad we got that cleared up. The whole point of Borat is seeing what one can get away with. If any of these people can prove they signed their deals under false pretenses or prove diminished capacity (drunk or stupid, that'll be fun to prove in court right?), they can get some money. Maybe the Gloddites can prove their children hold guns all the time so they let filming continue without suspecting anything.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I should have added a :rolleyes to my last post because it sounds like you missed the sarcasm.

Let's try again. Humiliating and exploiting poor people is all good fun. What a wonderful world we live in.

Fabbs
11-14-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm glad we got that cleared up. The whole point of Borat is seeing what one can get away with. If any of these people can prove they signed their deals under false pretenses or prove diminished capacity (drunk or stupid, that'll be fun to prove in court right?), they can get some money. Maybe the Gloddites can prove their children hold guns all the time so they let filming continue without suspecting anything.

Is your benchmark of human kindness or morality or ethics whether or not it can hold up in a courtroom? A courtroom? Oh yeah that is where true justice and fairness takes place. :rolleyes
Are you in law school or something?

Good points all RuffnReady.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 04:01 AM
I should have added a :rolleyes to my last post because it sounds like you missed the sarcasm.Apparently, I should have as well.
Is your benchmark of human kindness or morality or ethics whether or not it can hold up in a courtroom?Nah, that's just where remedies for these kinds of questions are found. I don't know what your recourse would be -- oh, yeah, bitching on a message board. That's a perfect world isn't it?

[must I add an emoticon so you can follow along?]

Fabbs
11-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Apparently, I should have as well.Nah, that's just where remedies for these kinds of questions are found. I don't know what your recourse would be -- oh, yeah, bitching on a message board. That's a perfect world isn't it?

[must I add an emoticon so you can follow along?]

No, add an emoticon that you have a clue what goes on in courtrooms.
Ever hear of lawyer jokes? Know why they came about?
They have hit Kansas, haven't they?

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Kansas?

Keep bitching. Buy a map while you're at it -- it figures coming from someone who thinks Khazakstan is in Romania.

PixelPusher
11-14-2006, 03:24 PM
As a foreboding aside to this topic, how long before pics of the "fight" between Borat and that little fat guy in the hotel room with "pwned!" on them show up on message boards everywhere?