PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' Parker picks up pace, scoring 33

ducks
11-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Spurs' Parker picks up pace, scoring 33

Web Posted: 11/12/2006 12:08 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Is Spurs point guard Tony Parker approaching a level of play where he can orchestrate his team's offensive dynamics?
The Spurs' leading scorer in four of their first six games, including Saturday night's 100-92 victory over the New York Knicks at the AT&T Center, Parker spent the first half of the first quarter getting his teammates involved in the offense.

advertisement

Once Parker got Tim Duncan rolling in the low post, he took on the bulk of the scoring load in the final three periods himself. After scoring only six in the first quarter, he scored 27 in the final three, finishing with 33 points.

It was the highest point total for any Spurs player this season.

All six of Parker's assists came in the first quarter, five of them before he attempted his first shot.

"Are you trying to say that in the last three quarters he had zero assists?" Spurs coach Gregg Popovich joked when asked about Parker's six assists in the first period. "It just happened. He does what he does." LOOK POP IS NOT PISSED SPUR FANS SHOULD NOT BE EITHER

What Parker has been doing best of late is making good decisions on the high pick-and-roll plays that trigger much of his offense. He is pulling up for open jumpers when defenders focus on stopping his drives, driving when they leave him enough room to get to the basket.

His 12-for-17 shooting in Saturday's victory pushed his shooting percentage for the season to 55.5.

"He's playing great," Popovich said after Saturday's game. "He's really confident. He's worked hard on that shot and that's what's made him even a different player from last year, where on the midrange jumper people went under on the pick-and-rolls. He really makes them pay now. He didn't have that weapon last year.
"Also the free-throw line. He loves going to the line and has been very successful. He's put in the work. I'm really happy for him."

Parker's 9 for 12 from the free-throw line kept the Spurs from having their worst night of the season at the stripe. As it was, they made only 21 of 38 foul shots, or 55.3 percent. Parker's teammates made only 12 of 26 (46.1 percent).
"It is what it is," said Duncan, who made only 4 of 12 free throws but managed 24 points and 16 rebounds.

boutons_
11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
"He does what he does"

"It is what it is,"

We have what we have: a serious outbreak of tautology-speak! In the opinion in my head, I can see it with my own eyes. Thoughts in the brain in my head make me laugh at tautology-speak with the mouth that I have. :lol

I wish teams would start caring enough about winning to try to shut Tony down, we can see if/how Tony and the Spurs adjust.

ducks
11-12-2006, 10:01 AM
tony's first playoffs
phil ajdusted
then tp did the followering year

hopefully when teams double tp his teamates get hot

Borosai
11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
If this team could shoot FTs with some consistency (yes, that's you Timmy...I know you are reading this you creepy lurker), they would be nearly impossible to beat.

z0sa
11-12-2006, 02:00 PM
^ tell that to shaq throughout his career.

boutons_
11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Shaq's physical restriction when shooting FTs is as disastrous as Tim's mental block.

Kori Ellis
11-12-2006, 02:11 PM
"He does what he does"

"It is what it is,"

We have what we have: a serious outbreak of tautology-speak! In the opinion in my head, I can see it with my own eyes. Thoughts in the brain in my head make me laugh at tautology-speak with the mouth that I have.

:lol I actually said that and then Pop repeated me, saying, "He does what he does. I like that."

(it's in the audio thread)

phyzik
11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Tony was killing them when his man went under our bigs instead of over. It seemed like Thomas told his team to not allow Parker in the lane and force him to shoot... Im glad he was up to the task.