PDA

View Full Version : anyone getting the Wii

Phil Hellmuth
11-12-2006, 01:52 PM
kinda looking forward to playing this than the ps3 to be honest.

the controller for zelda looks dope.

leemajors
11-12-2006, 02:12 PM
i will be getting one, can't say when though.

Marklar MM
11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Wii is gay...PS3 is better. Old school nintendo pwnz all.

dougp
11-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all stink.

You == :donkey

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I'll wait until the prices go down to get one.

Marklar MM
11-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and they all stink.

You == :donkey

you== :oink

leemajors
11-12-2006, 02:33 PM

you can buy a wii and download all the old games.

Zunni
11-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Wii is different, and some people won't be able to go that direction. Nintendo has already acknowledged that they are trying to stretch the market by getting new gamers, not lure a lot of users from other systems.

That being said, PS3 is really nothing more than PS2 on steroids. There is nothing really revolutionary or new about it. It's a bit faster, with better graphics, but users will hit the limits relatively soon, and be bored and waiting for the next system.

Texas_Ranger
11-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Don`t need it, I`ve got PS2, that is enough for now.

dougp
11-12-2006, 03:08 PM
you== :oink
I'm a pig? Re-think that one Mark, :spin

Marklar MM
11-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm a pig? Re-think that one Mark, :spin

Well I am a fucking donkey...deal with it. OINK. :dramaquee

dirk4mvp
11-12-2006, 04:27 PM
That being said, PS3 is really nothing more than PS2 on steroids. There is nothing really revolutionary or new about it. It's a bit faster, with better graphics, but users will hit the limits relatively soon, and be bored and waiting for the next system.

That's your assumption on it? :dramaquee

dougp
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
That's your assumption on it? :dramaquee
What has the PS3 brought that's revolutionary? Blu-ray? Give me a break, HD-DVD has a bigger jump start on that, and it will probably go the way of Betamax. The Cell-processor you say? Eh, gonna be awhile before we see anything that takes advantage of it. It's online play isn't going to be revolutionary, as that area is already dominated by the XBox Live community. All it has going for it is graphics - and people are not going to pay $600 to play PS3 exclusives. Cross platform games will look almost identical unless a company invests for multiple programming groups for each game.

BB can correct me if I'm wrong.

baseline bum
11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
What has the PS3 brought that's revolutionary? Blu-ray? Give me a break, HD-DVD has a bigger jump start on that, and it will probably go the way of Betamax. The Cell-processor you say? Eh, gonna be awhile before we see anything that takes advantage of it. It's online play isn't going to be revolutionary, as that area is already dominated by the XBox Live community. All it has going for it is graphics - and people are not going to pay $600 to play PS3 exclusives. Cross platform games will look almost identical unless a company invests for multiple programming groups for each game.

BB can correct me if I'm wrong.

How can you say the Cell Procesor isn't revolutionary? You're right about it not being used to its potential though. For games this year, XBox 360 versions are likely be more stable, better looking (graphically and frame rate), better controlling, and with more features, because developing on the PS3 is a nightmare, since it's so completely unlike any other system ever made.

However, PS3 has a lot going for it:

1. Sooner or later, the Cell will be truly unleashed once developers have some real time and experience behind them. The Cell's no joke, and destroys anything else in a console.

2. The Sixaxis controller is actually pretty cool for games where the player is driving, flying, or something similar. Much better than Wii's. It opens up a whole new genre of games that will behave differently from anything seen so far. Check out a game in development called Lair to see an example. It can't hang with Wii's controller for FPS though.

3. Sony has licensed the Aegia PhsX API, which shows they intend on having a lot of extras, like completely destructible environments, high quality explosions, fire, debris, smoke effects, and so on that cannot be effectively done on anything other than a high-end PC (you can get a physics card for your PC, whereas the PS3 can put one of its 7 cores directly to physics).

4. The system RAM is clocked at 3.2 GHz. For comparison's sake, the 360's is clocked at 800 MHz.

Cross platform games will most certainly look very different, due to my 3rd point. I hate both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (as far as movie standards), but I can tell you developers love the Blu-Ray disc's size. That space could really be put to use for great dialogue in RPGs (Oblivion on X360 uses half the DVD on dialog, and it still gets very repetitive) and for tons of music in games like GTA.

baseline bum
11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah... I'll be getting a Wii for Zelda. I hated the Wii the first time I saw it, but it's a lot of fun and great for FPS.

dougp
11-12-2006, 06:53 PM
How can you say the Cell Procesor isn't revolutionary? You're right about it not being used to its potential though. For games this year, XBox 360 versions are likely be more stable, better looking (graphically and frame rate), better controlling, and with more features, because developing on the PS3 is a nightmare, since it's so completely unlike any other system ever made.

However, PS3 has a lot going for it:

1. Sooner or later, the Cell will be truly unleashed once developers have some real time and experience behind them. The Cell's no joke, and destroys anything else in a console.

2. The Sixaxis controller is actually pretty cool for games where the player is driving, flying, or something similar. Much better than Wii's. It opens up a whole new genre of games that will behave differently from anything seen so far. Check out a game in development called Lair to see an example. It can't hang with Wii's controller for FPS though.

3. Sony has licensed the Aegia PhsX API, which shows they intend on having a lot of extras, like completely destructible environments, high quality explosions, fire, debris, smoke effects, and so on that cannot be effectively done on anything other than a high-end PC (you can get a physics card for your PC, whereas the PS3 can put one of its 7 cores directly to physics).

4. The system RAM is clocked at 3.2 GHz. For comparison's sake, the 360's is clocked at 800 MHz.

Cross platform games will most certainly look very different, due to my 3rd point. I hate both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (as far as movie standards), but I can tell you developers love the Blu-Ray disc's size. That space could really be put to use for great dialogue in RPGs (Oblivion on X360 uses half the DVD on dialog, and it still gets very repetitive) and for tons of music in games like GTA.
Cell processor isn't revolutionary in a fuckin gaming console, period. It won't have its power taken advantage of for a long time, and the physics card is the same way ... it's the only console with one in it ... only exclusive games will really use it, but who the fuck needs a physics processor when you have 7 cores to begin with?

Das Texan
11-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I plan on getting the Wii.

If the games are able to catch up to the capabilites of the PS3, then damn.

Mixability
11-13-2006, 11:27 AM
the gimmicky controller is what's really iffy with me. But it's better than the PS3's non-vibrating controller.