PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps Pop and R.C were right all along about Nazr

SenorSpur
11-12-2006, 08:43 PM
In the wake of all this summer's furor surrounding Pop's decision to bench his centers and go smaller in the WCSF against Dallas, to the decision to let Nazr walk, it may appear that Pop and R.C. were right all along.

Here's the latest word out of Detroit on Nazr's status.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061110/SPORTS03/611100419/1051/SPORTS

BY KRISTA JAHNKE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

NAZR'S ROLE: Here's a strange stat -- when starting center Nazr Mohammed attempts six shots, the Pistons win. When he doesn't, they lose.

Mohammed played 14 minutes in the loss to Sacramento, attempting one shot.

Saunders limited Mohammed because Wallace, although he missed all nine of his shots, was scooping up rebounds. Also, Mohammed is still learning the system, and so far, Saunders has hesitated to use him when opponents go small.

"I don't feel like it has to be that way," Mohammed said. "We play team defense, but at the same time, it's not my decision."

Bob Lanier
11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
You're using Flip Saunders' coaching as confirmation of Gregg Popovich's coaching?

SenorSpur
11-12-2006, 08:48 PM
You're using Flip Saunders' coaching as confirmation of Gregg Popovich's coaching?

No. Simply using this to confirm the personnel decision about Nazr.

Besides and as everyone here can attest to, Elson and Oberto have proven to be more than capable replacements that give Pop the ability to exercise more versatility with his lineups.

picnroll
11-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Nazr spent two years with the Spurs and I'm hard pressed to think of another center who spent even a month with them and was still as clueless about the Spurs D as Nazr.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
http://img.sports.tom.com/img/assets/200503/bateer2_1110129969.jpg

picnroll
11-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I stand corrected. Okay no one since the Meng Dynasty.

Samr
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I stand corrected. Okay no one since the Meng Dynasty.

He doesn't count. That guy was just a practical joke. The Spurs had one more roster spot and Buford was like "Hey Holt, watch this!" and then he giggled like a little girl and called Jimmy Chang.

Solid D
11-12-2006, 10:01 PM
He doesn't count. That guy was just a practical joke. The Spurs had one more roster spot and Buford was like "Hey Holt, watch this!" and then he giggled like a little girl and called Jimmy Chang.

:lol That is so untrue, but funny never-the-less. You should try jumping with concrete blocks for feet. Jimmy Chang was so cool.

Phenomanul
11-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Maybe the translator sucked....

Fabbs
11-13-2006, 01:16 AM
In the wake of all this summer's furor surrounding Pop's decision to bench his centers and go smaller in the WCSF against Dallas, to the decision to let Nazr walk, it may appear that Pop and R.C. were right all along.

You may be onto something. The Spurs were 3-4 vs the Mavs and hey, the Pistons are 3-4 playing PopBall.

Samr
11-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Jimmy Chang was so cool.

Oh I think Jimmy Chang was the only reason they signed Bateer. They just wanted an excuse to have Chang in the locker room. Chang was so cool I can't even deign to define, specifically, why he was so cool.

Chang was like the Chuck Norris of the silver and black.

velik_m
11-13-2006, 03:20 AM
No. Simply using this to confirm the personnel decision about Nazr.

Besides and as everyone here can attest to, Elson and Oberto have proven to be more than capable replacements that give Pop the ability to exercise more versatility with his lineups.

What does this confirm, but the fact that benching him was/is a bad idea? If they would be winning without him in smallball, you would have a point. Two wrongs don't make a right.

SenorSpur
11-13-2006, 04:02 AM
What does this confirm, but the fact that benching him was/is a bad idea? If they would be winning without him in smallball, you would have a point. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Last I checked the Pistons were not getting the production out of Nazr they had hoped, despite their record and the money they threw at him. They're certainly not getting their money's worth so far.

He's only getting 20 mins a game while putting up 7.7 pts & 3.7 rebs. Maybe they should be playing him more. Maybe Flip is not maximizing his strengths. PersonalIy, I don't give a shit what the Pistons are doing.

Meanwhile, the Spurs new center combo (Oberto and Elson) at the 5 spot has had early success thus far. The main point is the Spurs have successfully replaced Nazr's contributions and are winning without him. Not to mention, they are better off financially for it. That's all I care about.

Perhaps you'd be better served monitoring the contributions of your own prized #1 pick.

Pistons < Spurs
11-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Last I checked the Pistons were not getting the production out of Nazr they had hoped, despite their record and the money they threw at him. They're certainly not getting their money's worth so far.

He's only getting 20 mins a game while putting up 7.7 pts & 3.7 rebs. Maybe they should be playing him more. Maybe Flip is not maximizing his strengths. PersonalIy, I don't give a shit what the Pistons are doing.

Nazr has probably been the most consistent Piston since opening night. There's been 2 games in which he didn't receive many minutes....which I didn't like...part of the reason was 'small-ball', another part was early foul trouble, and another factor has been us getting spanked in our western road trip. When he's been in game however, he's been solid.

As it stands, he averaging
7.7 and 7brds.

if you subtract the 2 games in which his numbers were limited, he's getting 9.1pts 9.7rbs 1.6blks 1.6stls

If anything, he's probably surpassed alot of people's hopes with his early play....and he and the team are still learning each others game. Once everyone gets settled in their roles, I think he's going to be a huge contributor.

As to whether or not Pop and RC were correct in letting Nazr go .... I'm glad they did for the Pistons sake.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-13-2006, 09:34 AM
It may just have been a win-win then, you clearly dont need the same Basketball IQ to play in the Piston's defensive system if it is really based around excellent individual play and man to man basketball, which means he will stay on the floor with you guys and we dont have to worry about old stone hands anymore.

Taco
11-13-2006, 10:01 AM
WHAT THE HECK IS HE HOLDING?