PDA

View Full Version : Ludden - Spurs Mailbag: Oberto's fine play bodes well for Scola's future

Bruno
11-13-2006, 06:32 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111306.spursinsider.en.3121a467.html

Web Posted: 11/13/2006 03:20 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

After it became evident this summer the Spurs were neither going to sign Luis Scola nor trade him, Scola’s agent accused the team of making his client a “prisoner” in the “country of liberty.”

Well, he and every other member of the Society For A Free Luis Scola would be wise to celebrate the success of Fabricio Oberto.

The better Oberto plays, the better chance Scola has of wearing an NBA uniform next season.

The Spurs didn’t find much of a market for Scola’s draft rights this summer, in part, because teams were reluctant to invest their free-agent dollars in a foreign player after watching Oberto, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Arvydas Macijauskas struggle in their transition from Europe to the NBA.

If Oberto continues to produce for the Spurs, he’ll be the third member of Argentina’s national team to make an impact in the NBA. Who would want to bet against Scola — who, two years ago, was considered the better prospect of the two — also succeeding?

The Spurs haven’t ruled out signing Scola for themselves. Robert Horry may retire at the end of the season and Oberto, if he wants, can opt out of his contract.

Chances are, however, the Spurs will continue to shop Scola’s draft rights. His contract demands last summer — three years, $9 million — were more than reasonable for a middle-of-the-rotation player.

That’s also only a little more than the Spurs paid for Oberto. And while it’s only been six games, Scola’s countryman looks like a bargain.

On to the readers:

Who have the Spurs played? — Monica, San Antonio

Dallas, Cleveland, Toronto, New York, Phoenix and New York.

Can I comp some tickets for an OKC/Spurs game to show these OK people how a real team plays? — Patrick C. Hoffman, Tulsa, Okla.

Sorry, we don’t do tickets.

Are y’all playoff team? — Terence, Taylor

Y’all hopes so.

How can I find good AT&T Center tickets for a Spurs game? — Gil, Brownsville

At Spurs.com.

I really don’t have a question. But I wanted to say that I love my Spurs and keep it up. GO SPURS GO. — Gilbert, San Antonio

And my editors wonder why I continue to question the wisdom of this project.

Why did you think Coach Pop kept Duncan on the floor with seconds remaining and Spurs leading by one (on Wednesday)? It’s obvious the Suns would foul him? Why not the Spurs best free-throw shooters? — Arnold Pineda, Hong Kong

Great question. (And trust me, those two words aren’t in heavy circulation here at the Mailbag.)

Getting Tim off the court in an obvious foul situation seems like the logical move to me and, I assume, just about everyone else populating our fine planet. In fact, I’d want him so far away from the free-throw line, I’d tell him to go wait in the locker room.

But here’s the rub: Pop rarely pulls Tim in those situations. And I love him for it.

For one thing, it only adds to the drama of the moment. Have you ever heard 18,000 people gasp at once? That’s what happens at the AT&T Center when Tim steps to the foul line. Good times.

Here’s what I also like: By leaving Tim out there, Pop is essentially saying, “If we’re going down, we’re going down with our best player on the court, free throws be damned.” He’s letting Tim know that he’s The Guy, and The Guy, sooner or later, better be able to come through at the line.

There are only a few times I remember Tim getting yanked. One was a game against Orlando midway the 2000-01 season. The Magic were up two with 6.4 seconds left in overtime. Orlando coach Doc Rivers had already intentionally fouled Tim earlier in the game, and made it clear he would do so again if the ball touched his hands on the next possession.

So Pop sat Tim. But I got the impression after the game he felt sick doing it.

Pop’s not dumb. A lot of times when Tim’s on the court in those situations, he makes him the inbounder, which essentially removes him from the play.

On Wednesday, Michael Finley inbounded with Tim setting a screen to free either Manu Ginobili or Tony Parker, the play’s first two options. When Finley didn’t think he had a good passing lane to either of the Spurs’ guards, he inbounded to Tim, who was fouled before he could get rid of the ball.

At that point, Tim was 6 of 7 from the line. Which, of course, didn’t mean much when he missed both. Had Raja Bell not bailed out the Spurs by clanging his own free throw, they would have lost.

Call me delusional, but as bad as Tim has looked at the line, I think he’ll improve over the course of the season. He’s working with Chip Engelland, the team’s shooting guru, more than he did last year, and everyone knows what Chip has done with Tony. Tony also started slow last season, but ended up making 80 percent of free throws in the playoffs.

If Tim’s going to make a similar improvement, he’s going to need to be in pressure situations like Wednesday. Even if it means the Spurs lose a game or two along the way.

Tim also has this going for him: He owns the franchise records for free-throw accuracy in a regular-season game (17 of 17) and a playoff game (15 of 15). He can’t be that bad, can he?

(NOTE: The preceding Q&A was written before Saturday’s game against New York. Tim went 4 of 12 from the line. Please disregard everything you just read.)

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-13-2006, 06:47 AM
the first part of the Q&A was completely pointless, was it an attempt on Ludden's part to be funny or what?

Bruno
11-13-2006, 07:04 AM
the first part of the Q&A was completely pointless, was it an attempt on Ludden's part to be funny or what?

He should too be fed up that 90% of the mails he received are stupid ones.

Solid D
11-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Even more reasons for people in this Forum to send Johnny Ludden questions.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Personally I would like to see the Spurs do something with scola this offseason and bring Mahinimi and Sandizkide over and at the very least, send them to the NBDL.

They aren't getting PT in europe

TDMVPDPOY
11-13-2006, 09:31 AM
e.williams, barry, horry, bowen, vaugh = expiring or player options

bring in scola, mahinmi + 2 draft picks onto team, send the other 2 picks farm in euro. i want fuckn javtokas on this team....

Mr. Body
11-13-2006, 09:45 AM
They'll try Nocioni for the MLE before they ever think of giving any of that money to Scola. The important thing is other teams might take notice. Last season was a low point for new European talent, with Macijauskas, Oberto, and Jasikevicius all struggling.

Bruno
11-13-2006, 10:24 AM
They'll try Nocioni for the MLE before they ever think of giving any of that money to Scola.

Nocioni will be restricted. The only way Bulls don't match is if Nocioni do a crappy season.

Bruno
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think that Spurs will sign Scola next summer.
Spurs' staff seems to think that playing with 2 low post players at the same time won't work : Spurs have still Duncan and Butler.

Mr. Body
11-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Nocioni will be restricted. The only way Bulls don't match is if Nocioni do a crappy season.

As has been discussed in other threads, there's a chance the Bulls will not match him, and that's my viewpoint. If it's only for the MLE, they'll face a tough decision. They've chosen Deng over him in the rotation and he deserves to start and get more minutes (meaning he may want to go elsewhere). They're stacked up with cheaper wings, with Khryapa, Sefolosha, and Thomas. They have other players with extensions coming in the next few years. Can they afford to give much money to a bench guy, when they're very much lacking in two key areas? They have no post scoring and on the perimeter, when Ben Gordon isn't hitting, they barely get enough scoring.

Nocioni, in my mind, will be playing somewhere else. They will try to trade him to the team that wants him, under threat of matching offers.

angel_luv
11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
He should too be fed up that 90% of the mails he received are stupid ones.

Great Beno avitar. :tu :)

Bruno
11-13-2006, 11:54 AM
As has been discussed in other threads, there's a chance the Bulls will not match him, and that's my viewpoint. If it's only for the MLE, they'll face a tough decision.

That's your viewpoint and I disagree because :

- Bulls are not near the lux tax threshold. They are doing a great job with the salary cap (Hinrich and Wallace have a decreasing salary), $5M for Nocioni won't put them in Lux tax trouble.

- Nocioni, Deng and Thomas can play PF and will play PF because Bulls have nobody else to play PF next year. Bulls will need Nocioni next year.

- Nocioni for the MLE is a bargain. Bulls will easily match a MLE offer for him evne if he isn't in their long term plan because he would have a good trade value.

The only way Spurs can get Nocioni is a S&T and I'm not sure that Spurs will have a good enough package to get him (Scola + a draft pick won't likely be nough).

Bruno
11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Great Beno avitar. :tu :)

I've decided to support Beno after his crappy game against Phoenix and it has works quite weel for the game against knicks. :)

BTW, an article about Beno :
http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/article_19378.shtml .
Not very interesting (that's why I haven't post it) but it's about Beno.

Jimcs50
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I actually think TD's FT form looks a lot better this year, so his % will improve, I feel sure about that.

Solid D
11-13-2006, 12:06 PM
If Scola was a rebounding fiend, he would probably already be a "Spur".

Bruno, I don't think the Spurs have proven that they won't use two low-post players at the same time. It depends on the personnel they have.

Scola is similar to Malik Rose, who complimented Timmy quite well. Scola can set screens well, moves well without the ball, can score out on the floor, plays with physicality and energy. He's just not a shot-blocker and high rebounds guy. His biggest strength would probably come after he became comfortable with the Spurs' ways of doing things. Once he does, putting the 3 Argentines on the floor with any combination of Parker, Barry, and Udrih would be a delight to watch.

Mr. Body
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
- Nocioni for the MLE is a bargain. Bulls will easily match a MLE offer for him evne if he isn't in their long term plan because he would have a good trade value.

The only way Spurs can get Nocioni is a S&T and I'm not sure that Spurs will have a good enough package to get him (Scola + a draft pick won't likely be nough).

The above point I agree most with, but Chicago should be able to secure a post presence with the young talent they have, or using their high Knicks draft pick. Scola fills a very big need for them, so a trade package could be very attractive. Why spend so much money on a bench wing/undersized PF when there are much better routes?

Keeping him for the MLE is a good idea, for trade, but the Spurs or another team can provide a package right away. As this season wears on, Chicago's weaknesses will become more obvious.

I'm looking for clarification whether Andres is an RFA at all. So far seeing nothing.

angel_luv
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I've decided to support Beno after his crappy game against Phoenix and it has works quite weel for the game against knicks. :)

BTW, an article about Beno :
http://www.hoopsworld.com/global/article_19378.shtml .
Not very interesting (that's why I haven't post it) but it's about Beno.

This is a great article- post worthy I think. :)

1Parker1
11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I actually think TD's FT form looks a lot better this year, so his % will improve, I feel sure about that.

:lol At least he hasn't been airballing as many FT's as before. I always get get a good laugh when TD goes to the FT line and the camera zooms in and captures his face perfectly...he always wipes the sweat off his forward, gets his feet set, stars the the basket like he's trying to burn a hole through the net. He looks so incredibly nervous and stressed when he's at the FT line. Which is interesting because he normally has such a poker face with everything else that goes on on the court.

Drive Like Jehu
11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
They have no post scoring and on the perimeter, when Ben Gordon isn't hitting, they barely get enough scoring.

Nocioni, in my mind, will be playing somewhere else. They will try to trade him to the team that wants him, under threat of matching offers.

Hmmmm...

Isn't Scola a pretty decent post scorer?

Bruno
11-13-2006, 12:24 PM
This is a great article- post worthy I think. :)

Done. :)

Bruno
11-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for clarification whether Andres is an RFA at all. So far seeing nothing.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#36

It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons.

Nocioni will be a RFA because he has been in the league for 3 year.

Mr. Body
11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok. It would have to be a package, then - if anything. The Bulls' cap space looks good now, but will start tightening up. Who do they pay money to? If they maintain at .500 for the rest of the season, they'll need to make changes. It's not impossible.

angel_luv
11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Done. :)

:tu :)

Mr. Body
11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Hmmmm...

Isn't Scola a pretty decent post scorer?

That's his stock and trade. Nocioni may not be obtainable at all, but Scola has to be attractive to teams needing inside punch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Even more reasons for people in this Forum to send Johnny Ludden questions.

I agree. Who better to send J. Ludden a stupid question than some of the people on this forum.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Lame justification for keeping Duncan in.

Here’s what I also like: By leaving Tim out there, Pop is essentially saying, “If we’re going down, we’re going down with our best player on the court, free throws be damned.” He’s letting Tim know that he’s The Guy, and The Guy, sooner or later, better be able to come through at the line.

Gee, Phil won a couple of rings with Shaq (his best player on the Lakers) and in the same situations pulled him from the game. That sure seemed to work out okay.

Typical Express-News suck up job to Pop.

ShoogarBear
11-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree. Who better to send J. Ludden a stupid question than some of the people on this forum.:lol

I can only guess why Ludden is printing all the stupid questions, instead of holding them out like 99% of all the other writers:
1. He really believes they're funny.
2. He really hates doing the mailbag and wants to embarass his editors into stopping it.
3. He wants to show Spur fans are mostly a bunch of dumb hicks.

timvp
11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I would be open to a Scola signing. I was impressed with his play versus the US in the world championships this summer. In the first quarter, he was the best player on the court. Although, 3-years, $9M is pretty steep for a 2nd round draft pick with no leverage.

coopdogg3
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Wasn't Oberto's deal 3 year/$7.5 million? He wasn't drafted I know, but Scola should be worth 3-year/$9 million. Everything I've read indicates that Scola should be a better pro than Oberto.

timvp
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Pop’s not dumb. A lot of times when Tim’s on the court in those situations, he makes him the inbounder, which essentially removes him from the play.

Uh, Duncan has never inbounded the ball in that type of situation. The only time you see Duncan inbounding the ball is under the opponent's basket after a score.

99% of the time for the Spurs under Pop, the power forward inbounds under the opponent's basket, the small forward inbounds at midcourt and the point guard inbounds under their own basket.

You would think after all these years Ludden would have noticed that pattern.

timvp
11-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Wasn't Oberto's deal 3 year/$7.5 million? He wasn't drafted I know, but Scola should be worth 3-year/$9 million. Everything I've read indicates that Scola should be a better pro than Oberto.

Oberto had leverage inside the NBA and in Europe. Scola has no leverage at all.

Solid D
11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Uh, Duncan has never inbounded the ball in that type of situation. The only time you see Duncan inbounding the ball is under the opponent's basket after a score.

99% of the time for the Spurs under Pop, the power forward inbounds under the opponent's basket, the small forward inbounds at midcourt and the point guard inbounds under their own basket.

You would think after all these years Ludden would have noticed that pattern.

What about when Robert Horry does the honors on side-out-of-bounds plays?

timvp
11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
What about when Robert Horry does the honors on side-out-of-bounds plays?

That's part of the 1%. Ferry would also inbound from side at the power forward spot some. I remember Manu a couple times earlier in his career. But Duncan has never inbounded from the side.

ALVAREZ6
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Ludden is a jackass.

AFBlue
11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I think Scola coming over to the NBA is helped by Oberto's success, but I think Oberto's success actually makes it less likely that he'll be with the Spurs when he does come over. Oberto's success, and that of Elson for that matter, Big Shot's decision at the end of the year, JB's development, and Bonner's long-term situation with the team will all play a role in whether he is a member of this team next season. We'll just have to see how things flesh out, but I think right now he is more valuable on this squad than he is as a trade chip.

tlongII
11-13-2006, 07:24 PM
:lol

I can only guess why Ludden is printing all the stupid questions, instead of holding them out like 99% of all the other writers:
1. He really believes they're funny.
2. He really hates doing the mailbag and wants to embarass his editors into stopping it.
3. He wants to show Spur fans are mostly a bunch of dumb hicks.

I vote for #3.

SenorSpur
11-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I'd rather see the Spurs use Scola as a bargaining chip to parlay into something better. IMO, they don't need him.

Solid D
11-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Ludden is a jackass.

Now why in the world would you say that? Johnny does a great job reporting on the Spurs goings-on and he does a excellent job of keeping up with the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement and what that means for contract and Cap ramifications. I've never known Johnny to be anything other than a decent guy and a friend of Spurstalk.

maddnezz
11-13-2006, 09:15 PM
We all know Pop wants to sign the whole Argintine team! What a great practice that would be!!!

ducks
11-13-2006, 10:25 PM
if players from Argintine can only play well 2 years then I do not want their whole team
manu played well 2 years and is not even close to his old self this season