PDA

View Full Version : and the team of the week is

ducks
11-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Team of the week

San Antonio: The Spurs scored at least 100 points in all four games in an undefeated week, winning two on the road (New York and Toronto) and a pair at home (Knicks and Phoenix). Point guard Tony Parker averaged 26.3 points, 6.0 assists and shot 58.3% as he made opponents pay for playing him to drive all the time with his deadly jump shot. "He's playing great," said head coach Gregg Popovich. "He's really confident. He's worked hard on that shot, and that's what's made him even a different player from last year."
Stepping up

Zach Randolph, Portland: Randolph led the Trail Blazers to two wins in three games, averaging 34.0 points and 11.7 rebounds and shooting 91.7% (39-for-43) from the free-throw line in the process.

Joe Johnson, Atlanta: Johnson averaged 29.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists for the surprising Hawks, who won three of four with their only defeat a 113-112 overtime setback to Seattle on Saturday.

Thrills, spills and chills

In the Redd zone: Milwaukee's Michael Redd scored a career-high, franchise-record and NBA-season-high 57 points in Saturday's 113-111 loss to Utah. He also averaged 37.5 in four games, but the Bucks lost all four. "I had no intentions of trying to come in and score 57 points — just play basketball and see what happens," Redd said. "It happened. A lot of shots were going in; I don't know how."

No Sale sign: Comcast-Spectacor, the company that owns the Philadelphia 76ers, has decided not to sell the team, even after several groups stepped up with offers.

Hamilton hurting: Detroit's leading scorer, Richard Hamilton, missed the past two games with a hyperextended right elbow. When he will return to the lineup is uncertain. The Pistons are off until Wednesday.

Heeled by heel: Early NBA Rookie of the Year candidate Brandon Roy could miss up to two weeks or more with an injury to his left heel. The Trail Blazers said Roy will be fitted with an orthopedic boot for the next 7-14 days and doctors will then determine the best course of action.

One-liner

Guard Cuttino Mobley of the Los Angeles Clippers is one of the league's most underrated players. He showed his value to the team again in Wednesday's 103-85 win against Dallas. Mobley's line in 38 minutes of action: 10-15 shooting from the field; 2-3 shooting from three-point land; 5-for-6 shooting from the foul line; 7 rebounds; 3 assists; 4 steals; 1 blocked shot; 0 turnovers; 28 points.

This week's big game

San Antonio at Houston: Sorry, Dallas. These are the two best teams in Texas at the moment, and both have championship hopes. They'll learn a lot about each other when they face off Tuesday.

This week's best matchups

Shawn Marion vs. Carlos Boozer: Marion and Boozer make things happen by scrapping for everything. They'll scrap on Saturday when Phoenix visits Utah.

Chauncey Billups vs. Chris Paul: Two of the league's best point guards match styles and wits Wednesday when the Hornets challenge the Pistons.

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2006-11-12-court-coverage_x.htm

1Parker1
11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Watching the Rockets game last night....tommorow is going to be an awesome game. Spurs have to make sure they bring their A game. McGrady has been in a bit of a shooting slump lately...let's just hope he doesn't pick tommorow to get out of it :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
went to the rocket's website, they have a fan poll about their greatest rivals, they picked SAS by a pretty good margin over the mavericks. It's funny, everyone wants a rivalry now

theroc5
11-13-2006, 10:11 AM
the rockets are going to be one tough cat to tame...they blew away the champs like it was nothing and YAO MING IS a possible mvp this year..

nkdlunch
11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Rockets look good, but TMAC is not the same. I'd say they are top 5 but that's it

easjer
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous as hell about the Rockets. Not this one game, per se, but they are going to be tough opponets, especially if we meet them in the playoffs. I expect the Spurs to get better this season and play more cohesive D, but tomorrow night's game should give us a preview and a better test than I think we've had this season about where we really are.

Borosai
11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
The Rockets are playing very well thanks to Yao, and appear to be a definite threat as long as they stay healthy. However, the Spurs win anyway.

Solid D
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Since Van Gundy has been there, the Rockets and Spurs contests have been tough, defensive battles. Battier adds to Houston's defensive mindset. (Bonzi doesn't but he's not playing right now).

Houston is currently:
#1 in points allowed per game (88.28) - Spurs are #5 (94.00)
#1 in point differential (+8.00) - Spurs are #5 (+5.5)
#8 in Opp. FG% (.444) - Spurs are #16 (.450)
#2 in Opp. Assists/game (17.0) - Spurs are #1 at (15.33)
#4 in Assist differential (+4.85) - Spurs are #1 at +6.16

ponky
11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
you can post stein's rankings as well

The_Game
11-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Rockets look good, but TMAC is not the same. I'd say they are top 5 but that's it

T-mac is just the same to me, he is just struggling with his jump shot. He is still pulling down the boards, making great passes and overall playing good team ball.

His shooting will get there soon enough

Remember last time Mcgrady was struggling with his shot, a few years ago heading into the game vs the spurs....and well he scored all those points in 35 secs or whatever it was...hope lighting doesn't strike twice.

once houston get bonzi wells back they will be a huge threat come playoff time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-13-2006, 07:38 PM
The Houston Rockets have blown out (with blown out being an understatement) both of the teams who played in last year's Finals.

It's no wonder the Chopper picked them to play San Antonio in the WCF this year.

Injuries seem to kill them every year though, so we'll see how they hold up as the year progresses.