PDA

View Full Version : The BCS is a farking joke!!!!

lebomb
11-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Once OSU or Michigan loses this week, how can a justification be made for the other team in the championship over any other team???? Its he said, she said, we said.....blah, blah, blah talk about who is deserving to be there.

BRING ON A FUCKIN PLAYOFF!!!!!!! Jeez!!!!

:ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit

How many more year do we have to go thru this crap before the powers that be realize a top 8 team playoff utilizing the bowl games is the way to go.

The rest of the bowls could still be used for the teams that dont qualify for the playoffs.........

ITS A NO BRAINER!!!!!! :downspin:

JoeChalupa
11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Ohio State is #1 and make it clear they are the true champions after the ass kicking they give Michigan.

DarkReign
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
If there were a playoff, I would only invite 4 teams to the playoff.

The only REAL debate that matters is 1-3. Other people want to argue about #4, fine.

Last year was a fluke having the absolute concensus #1 and #2 teams play for the title.

This year is much more reflective of the BCS. No matter who loses between UM and OSU, the argument from the school/fanbase that lost is more than logical in their argument that they should have the #2 spot.

Its a cluster-fuck.

lebomb
11-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Ohio State is #1 and make it clear they are the true champions after the ass kicking they give Michigan.

Who is deserving of #2? You can name 10 teams......its not BCS its just BS.

:dizzy

DarkReign
11-13-2006, 01:05 PM

nevermind

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Actually if Rutgers goes undefeated they deserve to play for it.

DarkReign
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Actually if Rutgers goes undefeated they deserve to play for it.

Agreed. What if they dont?

NoMoneyDown
11-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Agreed. What if they dont?

They won't.

samikeyp
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I have no problem with USC getting the #2 spot and playing the UM-tOSU winner provided they win out.

IMO, we still need a playoff. Using SC as an example...what if they beat Cal and ND, then lost to UCLA...SC would still win the Pac-10 but couldn't play for a national championship. If there was a playoff, they could.

NoMoneyDown
11-14-2006, 08:45 AM
It's funny, but just about every sports site I frequent, the overwhelming consensus is to have a playoff. Even some Div I-A coaches have said it. But I have a feeling that the powers-that-be are getting their pockets lined by keeping the format as is. It will probably take another travesty of justice (or two? or three?) before it happens, tho, unfortunately.

samikeyp
11-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Many of those against the playoff say its about the money....they don't get how much money could be made in a playoff. The network rights alone would be staggering.

Jimcs50
11-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Every team in top 8 will play each other in next 3 wks.

Ohio St plays Mich

West Virginia plays Rutgers

USC plays ND

Florida plays Auburn

This will decide who gets in the big game.

Brutalis
11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Every team in top 8 will play each other in next 3 wks.

Ohio St plays Mich

West Virginia plays Rutgers

USC plays ND

Florida plays Auburn

This will decide who gets in the big game.

Auburn?

Stupid?

scott
11-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I personally am hoping OSU-Mich will be a blowout, one way or another, USC loses to Cal but beats Notre Dame, Arkansas loses to LSU but then beats Florida in the SEC title game and Rutgers loses to West Virginia.

My hope is for utter chaos in the ranks of college football, where there is no easy argument for any team to play the OSU-Mich winner over any other. Only a total clusterfuck such as this can start the revolution and a give birth to a playoff.

samikeyp
11-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Utter chaos would be perfect.

BeerIsGood!
11-14-2006, 11:51 PM
2) Keep the Bowl system, but use the "BCS" Bowls to decide the national champion in a top 4 team playoff. Two bowls for the semi-final, and one a week later for the national championship.

Easy as pie.

Indeed Easy as pie

NoMoneyDown
11-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Many of those against the playoff say its about the money....they don't get how much money could be made in a playoff. The network rights alone would be staggering.

Perhaps, but it would probably require a 4-week PO to surpass the number of bowl games we already have (I'm guessing - maybe 3 would suffice). Plus, teams can often LOSE money in bowl games - and that's traveling just ONE time. Imagine if they had to travel 4+ times?!?! Another small issue with PO's is fan base. It's not as big a deal as usually there are fans from other teams all around the country and die-hard fans that are willing to travel several weeks to watch their team. But imagine your team is Texas, and they have to travel to San Antonio the first week. They win, and now must go to a super regional in Dallas. They win again, and have to go to the semi-final game in Miami. Finally, they make it to the championship game in LA. Whew! If you decide to use home field as a location and your team is ranked one of the worst, good luck getting past the 2nd round with a strong fan base.

j-6
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Most upper echelon teams are playing a twelve game regular season schedule these days. Play in a conference title game, that's thirteen. A bowl game, fourteen.

At first I thought a four team playoff would suffice, but why not an eight teamer? Or better yet, a 16 team Battle Royale for the national title?

I'd like the powers that be to cut the season to ten scheduled games, plus any conference championship games, then have a sixteen team playoff. At the most, that adds a fifteenth game for the final two teams and a fourteenth for the four semifinalists. Somebody smarter than me can come up with how to get Notre Dame, plus the weaker conferences like the MWC and the WAC involved.

The football version of March Madness would be hotter than the NFL playoffs.

samikeyp
11-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Perhaps, but it would probably require a 4-week PO to surpass the number of bowl games we already have (I'm guessing - maybe 3 would suffice). Plus, teams can often LOSE money in bowl games - and that's traveling just ONE time. Imagine if they had to travel 4+ times?!?! Another small issue with PO's is fan base. It's not as big a deal as usually there are fans from other teams all around the country and die-hard fans that are willing to travel several weeks to watch their team. But imagine your team is Texas, and they have to travel to San Antonio the first week. They win, and now must go to a super regional in Dallas. They win again, and have to go to the semi-final game in Miami. Finally, they make it to the championship game in LA. Whew! If you decide to use home field as a location and your team is ranked one of the worst, good luck getting past the 2nd round with a strong fan base.

Fair points however, I think that if D1-AA, D2, D3 and NAIA can do it, I am pretty sure with the massive football budgets that D1 schools have, it could be done.

We talked about this last year around this time and someone also brought up using the bowl games. (It was me. :) ) Use the big name bowls as your playoff sites and use the other bowls for those schools who do not make the playoff but still have the 6 wins or more. You would probably have to eliminate some of the smallest bowl games but I don't think that is a bad idea anyway. IMO, there are too many bowl games now.

samikeyp
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM

Hell yes it would.

Also, I would make ND join a conference. (They are already in the Big East in everything but football) There should be no special rules just to accomodate one school.

JoeChalupa
11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
It all boils down to money and the Bowl Games bring in too much $$$ for the NCAA to consider going to a playoff system unless they got one hell of deal from the networks. and then it would eliminate the hype or attention to other bowl games.
But then again I think most college football fans will go support their teams either way.

scott
11-15-2006, 06:44 PM
16 team playoff is too much. We've spent all year figuring out that the #1 team can beat the #16 team. No need to re-hash it. 8 team playoff.

NoMoneyDown
11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
16 team playoff is too much. We've spent all year figuring out that the #1 team can beat the #16 team. No need to re-hash it. 8 team playoff.

Maybe they should do the same with NCAA Basketball???? :dizzy

NoMoneyDown
11-16-2006, 01:06 PM
From this link (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AkU4mtA7iwoRCEB7gVarGMscvrYF?slug=tb-bracketbuster111506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) :

By the way, I noticed that Florida head coach Urban Meyer has jumped on the playoff bandwagon. That list now includes Mack Brown, Pete Carroll, Lloyd Carr, Steve Spurrier, Charlie Weis and an on-the-fence Bob Stoops – along with a whole bunch more.

I'm beginning to think it's just a matter of time.

I know Tressel made a pro-playoff comment recently as well. Hmmmm.

JoeChalupa
11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Puh...puh..playoffs!!!?

lebomb
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
From this link (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AkU4mtA7iwoRCEB7gVarGMscvrYF?slug=tb-bracketbuster111506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) :

I know Tressel made a pro-playoff comment recently as well. Hmmmm.

LOL..................Ive said an 8 team playoff for about 5yrs now. :rolleyes

Like I said, its a NO BRAINER :dizzy

johngateswhiteley
11-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Most upper echelon teams are playing a twelve game regular season schedule these days. Play in a conference title game, that's thirteen. A bowl game, fourteen.

At first I thought a four team playoff would suffice, but why not an eight teamer? Or better yet, a 16 team Battle Royale for the national title?

I'd like the powers that be to cut the season to ten scheduled games, plus any conference championship games, then have a sixteen team playoff. At the most, that adds a fifteenth game for the final two teams and a fourteenth for the four semifinalists. Somebody smarter than me can come up with how to get Notre Dame, plus the weaker conferences like the MWC and the WAC involved.

...its tough to say, cause i think 16 teams is too much. nobody outside the top 10, imo, can win the national title usually. but only having 8 is not enough as i think the top 10 should be involved. all i know is if they have a playoff one day it better be more than 4.

KewlKat00
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
but the more teams involved in a playoff, the less each saturday matters... which is, in my opinion, a huge part of college football.

johngateswhiteley
11-17-2006, 04:01 PM
but the more teams involved in a playoff, the less each saturday matters... which is, in my opinion, a huge part of college football.

true. but do you think 8 teams is too much?

samikeyp
11-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I could live with 8. How would you determine them?

johngateswhiteley
11-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I could live with 8. How would you determine the 8?

gotta use some formula like BCS. maybe the BCS playoff series?

kskonn
11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
If you really want to see some outcries, have OSU blow out Michigan and then have ND beat USC and end up in the national championship game over michigan. That would really piss some people off.

kskonn
11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Hell yes it would.

Also, I would make ND join a conference. (They are already in the Big East in everything but football) There should be no special rules just to accomodate one school.

There are 4 independent schools not just 1. Personally as a ND fan I would love to see them in a conference, it would give them much more opportunity to go to a BCS game when they don't have a 10-1 season. I know that their other sports teams play in the Big east but I personally would like to see them in the Big 10 . Probably won't happen due to the strength of the Big 10 right now but it would be nice. However if they keep having good seasons they will not join a conference anytime soon They make way to much money(again with the money affecting the right thing to do).

K-State Spur
11-17-2006, 04:26 PM

Sorry, but I don't see it. We all still go nuts for the NFL regular season despite that they have a playoff.

Besides, I'm tired of certain saturdays mattering for some teams (like Florida's loss to Auburn will matter) while other saturdays don't matter (USC's loss to Oregon State may not keep them out of a title).

We've reached the point where there's not one reason for the BCS over a play-off that can hold up against logic and common sense. The only possible explanation for the excuses is that a lot of people are getting payoffs from the bowl committees to prevent it from happening.

samikeyp
11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
There are 4 independent schools not just 1. Personally as a ND fan I would love to see them in a conference, it would give them much more opportunity to go to a BCS game when they don't have a 10-1 season. I know that their other sports teams play in the Big east but I personally would like to see them in the Big 10 . Probably won't happen due to the strength of the Big 10 right now but it would be nice. However if they keep having good seasons they will not join a conference anytime soon They make way to much money(again with the money affecting the right thing to do).

You are correct sir and in doing my playoff plan today...they would all be in the Big East. I could also see ND in the Big 11 and Army, Navy, Temple joining the BE.

johngateswhiteley
11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Sorry, but I don't see it. We all still go nuts for the NFL regular season despite that they have a playoff.

Besides, I'm tired of certain saturdays mattering for some teams (like Florida's loss to Auburn will matter) while other saturdays don't matter (USC's loss to Oregon State may not keep them out of a title).

We've reached the point where there's not one reason for the BCS over a play-off that can hold up against logic and common sense. The only possible explanation for the excuses is that a lot of people are getting payoffs from the bowl committees to prevent it from happening.

no:

1. all losses matter, just cause USC is ahead of Florida does not mean their loss did not matter...thats ridiculous

2. if there is a playoff then, yes, the weekends still mean a lot cause you want to get into the top 8 or whatever but they do mean a bit less

...for you cowboys fans, your rough start did not seal your teams fate cause there are playoffs.

samikeyp
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
I agree with JGW...all losses matter, that is why, IMO the regular season would not be diminished.

KewlKat00
11-17-2006, 09:14 PM

yeah, but not everyone likes the nfl. there is a large group of people that are solely college football fans. sure i would enjoy going to the national championship and i would enjoy even more games that a playoff could provide, but i would also just love to go to the rose bowl. that was always the foundation of our program. i miss that tradition.

it's not that usc's loss doesn't matter and florida's does, it is the out of conference scheduling that is the difference. usc has arkansas, nebraska, and notre dame. florida has southern miss, ucf, and western carolina all at home, and then fsu (usually good).

I agree with JGW...all losses matter, that is why, IMO the regular season would not be diminished.

i'm not saying that the regular season losses wouldn't matter if there was a playoff, but i think there would be a slightly different feeling. one loss wouldn't be as huge. especially if there is anything more than an 8 team playoff. this week there are 4 teams in the top 16 with 2 losses. that's alot with only 12 games per season, but in the event of a 16 team playoff they would have the opportunity to win a championship.

K-State Spur
11-17-2006, 10:29 PM
no:

1. all losses matter, just cause USC is ahead of Florida does not mean their loss did not matter...thats ridiculous

2. if there is a playoff then, yes, the weekends still mean a lot cause you want to get into the top 8 or whatever but they do mean a bit less

...for you cowboys fans, your rough start did not seal your teams fate cause there are playoffs.

1. If USC plays for the national title, tell me how the saturday that they lost to Oregon State matter?

2. They may mean a little less for the teams ranked 1, 2, & 3; but the teams ranked 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 will have games that are significantly more meaningful in October & November. Yeah, a bit of the luster would be taken off of Michigan-tOSU (although fans will always go nuts for a #1 vs. #2 match-up at any time of year), but there would be 3 new games (i.e. LSU - Arkansas) that would have significantly more meaning next week.

I'm a redskin fan and our rough start did seal our fait, but because there is a play-off, their is still a small reason to keep watching on sundays.

K-State Spur
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
yeah, but not everyone likes the nfl. there is a large group of people that are solely college football fans. sure i would enjoy going to the national championship and i would enjoy even more games that a playoff could provide, but i would also just love to go to the rose bowl. that was always the foundation of our program. i miss that tradition.

Well, I'd rather have the NFL's ratings.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
If USC snubs out an SEC school for the championship then we have to look at the bright side.

At least they will be in the position OU was in when OU played USC a few years ago.