PDA

View Full Version : The Democrats Are Now Turning On Murtha

Ya Vez
11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Public Statement
November 13, 2006

CREW Blasts Pelosi Endorsement of Unethical Murtha for Majority Leader

Washington, DC – Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) questioned soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) commitment to eradicating corruption with her endorsement of one of the most unethical members in Congress, Rep. John Murtha (D-PA), to be Majority Leader of the House of Representatives.

Rep. Murtha was listed in CREW’ report Beyond DeLay: The 20 Most Corrupt Members of Congress (and five to watch). As reported in the study and by the news media, Rep, Murtha has been involved in a number of pay-to play schemes involving former staffers and his brother, Robert “Kit” Murtha.

Eight incumbents in CREW’s report lost their races to ethics issues.

CREW’s report can be found at www.beyonddelay.org.

:dizzy

Ya Vez
11-13-2006, 05:00 PM
It's going to be fun now watching the democrats implode...

Let the implosion begin.....

clambake
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
It will be fun. Takes our mind off Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Al-Queada, Al-Sadr, immigration, social security, health care, the deficit........

Nbadan
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Here is the crust of the accusations against John Murtha...

In 2002, Kit Murtha was hired by KSA Consulting, a firm that lobbies the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee on behalf of defense contractors. Mr. Murtha joined the firm at the invitation of top KSA official Carmen Scialabba, who had worked for Rep. Murtha on the House Appropriations Committee for 27 years.

In 2004, Congress passed a $417 billion defense appropriations bill that went through Rep. Murtha’s subcommittee. The bill benefitted at least 10 companies represented by KSA and KSA directly lobbied Rep. Murtha’s office on behalf of seven of those companies, which received a total $20.8 million in earmarks.

PMA Group

Paul Magliocchetti worked with Rep. Murtha as a senior staffer on the Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Defense for 10 years. After leaving the committee, Mr. Magliocchetti founded the PMA Group, which has become one of the most prominent Washington, D.C. defense lobbying firms. In the current campaign cycle, the PMA Group and 12 of the firm’s clients rank in the top 20 contributors to Rep. Murtha, having made campaign contributions totaling $274,649. In turn, many of PMA’s clients have benefited significantly from Rep. Murtha’s earmarks. In the 2006 Defense appropriations bill, PMA clients received at least 60 earmarks, totaling $95.1 million.

Beyond delay (http://www.beyonddelay.org/summaries/murtha.php)

Isn't this how the lobbying game is playing in DC by all Congressional members? How do you think incumbants build up those huge war-chests despite low-approval ratings?

101A
11-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Here is the crust of the accusations against John Murtha...

Beyond delay (http://www.beyonddelay.org/summaries/murtha.php)

Isn't this how the lobbying game is playing in DC by all Congressional members? How do you think incumbants build up those huge war-chests despite low-approval ratings?

Isn't this how the game is played in D.C. - only bad dealings about Democrats brought to light/rehashed AFTER the election?

Nbadan
11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Where are the kick-backs like in the Duke Cunningham (R) and Ney(R) cases? I think there is more meat on the bones on the 90G's in William Jefferson's freezer, but that's Abramoff money that could implicate many more Republicans than Demos.

Zunni
11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Isn't this how the game is played in D.C. - only bad dealings about Democrats brought to light/rehashed AFTER the election?
Murtha was investigated by the FBI and cleared in the 80s for AbScam. Everything else I read there is pretty much business as usual, and if illegal, I can think of 434 other people that need to be locked up, too.

The Demos aren't "turning on Murtha" when the Speaker fucking endorses him for the number 2 spot. There may be a whiff of Stenny Hoyer sour grapes, but since he really has no traction, nothing will happen, and Murtha will probably win.

ChumpDumper
11-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Nice try. CREW's agenda is its own and, while laudable, not high-profile enough to really make much of a diference in this case. Murtha might crack the top 20 now that Burns, Frist, Santorum, Harris and Jefferson are out of the picture.

xrayzebra
11-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Where are the kick-backs like in the Duke Cunningham (R) and Ney(R) cases? I think there is more meat on the bones on the 90G's in William Jefferson's freezer, but that's Abramoff money that could implicate many more Republicans than Demos.

Doesn't really matter does it. He was a member of
the ethics committee and didn't report the 50 grand
offered by the FBI sting operation, but avoided
prosecution by turning on his buddies......

Told them to come back later and we will talk
about it......listen to the tape dummy.

Nbadan
11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Abscam explored

Mr. Murtha was one of eight members of Congress lured to a Washington townhouse by a team of FBI agents posing as representatives of a fictitious Arab sheik. They handed out briefcases filled with $50,000 in return for helping the sheik gain residency in the United States.

Mr. Murtha is on videotape telling the agents, "Not interested," but inviting the sheik to invest a few million in his struggling hometown, where unemployment reached 25 percent.

Mr. Murtha's probity might have been in doubt at that moment. Certainly he played the political coquette, suggesting they might do business later.

But where his companions were stuffing their pockets, he was trying to figure out how to get a fake prince to open a factory in Johnstown. Among agents of the government operating a fantasy, Mr. Murtha was attempting to get something real accomplished.

Post Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05324/609044.stm)

spurster
11-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Cleaning this up is very simple. Establish public financing for Senate and House elections.

101A
11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Cleaning this up is very simple. Establish public financing for Senate and House elections.

How does a challenger possibly overcome the name recognition gap if he can't outspend his opponent?

spurster
11-14-2006, 11:40 AM
How does a challenger possibly overcome the name recognition gap if he can't outspend his opponent?
It's a rare challenger who can outspend the incumbent.

George Gervin's Afro
11-14-2006, 12:50 PM
It's going to be fun now watching the democrats implode...

Let the implosion begin.....

Implosion? The GOP has imploded..what you have is wishful thinking..

clambake
11-14-2006, 01:12 PM
^ Somehow they were much happier with complete failure. Lets hope the Dems can reverse that trend. If Bush is somehow able to save face, he will owe it all to the Democrats.

Bob Lanier
11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Look out! There's a Democrat under your bed
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006520838,00.jpg

Ya Vez
11-14-2006, 03:53 PM
I am sure mr. afro.. yes I said implode.. you have about as much division between the blue dog democrats vs. the liberal wing as you do between the moderates and conservative republicans... it's going to be fun to watch... maybe someday there will be a viable 3rd party in this country.. but for now all we have is a circus...

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll let them actually take office before writing any autopsies.

Nbadan
11-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Here is the FBI tape of the ABSCAM meeting with John Murtha, nice....

Murtha and the FBI: The Director's Cut (http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10427)

We report, you decide.

101A
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Here is the FBI tape of the ABSCAM meeting with John Murtha, nice....

Murtha and the FBI: The Director's Cut (http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10427)

We report, you decide.

goddamn

boutons_
11-15-2006, 04:59 PM
yawn, a corrupt politician.

A huge mis-step by Nancy.

JoeChalupa
11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Pelosi is wrong on this one. The democratic party is poised to make some great progress but the far left could stop it in its tracks.

And yes, I've defended Murtha in the past but I feel is not the right choice.

Bob Lanier
11-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Pelosi is wrong on this one. The democratic party is poised to make some great progress but the far left could stop it in its tracks.

Would you mind fleshing out your logic here? What does the "far left" have to do with John Murtha?

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 10:00 AM

If I heard correctly Murtha helped Pelosi win the Dem leadership post... I agree nancy would have been better of, at least politically, in staying out of this. But the thought of MUrtha questioning 5 deferremnt Dick under oath on the floor of the house would most certainly be entertaining.. to see Dick have that smirk wiped off his face..perspiration building on his forehead... oh well :p:

101A
11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
If I heard correctly Murtha helped Pelosi win the Dem leadership post... I agree nancy would have been better of, at least politically, in staying out of this. But the thought of MUrtha questioning 5 deferremnt Dick under oath on the floor of the house would most certainly be entertaining.. to see Dick have that smirk wiped off his face..perspiration building on his forehead... oh well :p:

You've watched the video above, right?

Murtha questioning ANYBODY about anything is a joke. I don't care how long ago that was, dude is corrupt, and it's right there in black and white. Go ahead, spin it; do what you have been accusing XRay, Yoni, et al, of doing in support of THEIR party of choice.

Cleaning up Congress my hairy white ASSSS!!! Pelosi comes in and the FIRST damned thing she does is vehemently support a crooked hack as majority leader! I'm bettin' Murtha has dirt on her.

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 10:19 AM
You've watched the video above, right?

Murtha questioning ANYBODY about anything is a joke. I don't care how long ago that was, dude is corrupt, and it's right there in black and white. Go ahead, spin it; do what you have been accusing XRay, Yoni, et al, of doing in support of THEIR party of choice.

Cleaning up Congress my hairy white ASSSS!!! Pelosi comes in and the FIRST damned thing she does is vehemently support a crooked hack as majority leader! I'm bettin' Murtha has dirt on her.

Oh I've seen and heard the video on Whannity's show and Fox New over and over... I already said I think Pelosi should have picked someone else for this very same reason... What I think is a joke is guy who did whatever he could to get of serving his country to then turn around critcize someone who did that is a freaking joke..,

101A
11-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh I've seen and heard the video on Whannity's show and Fox New over and over... I already said I think Pelosi should have picked someone else for this very same reason... What I think is a joke is guy who did whatever he could to get of serving his country to then turn around critcize someone who did that is a freaking joke..,

As Boutons would say: You are "Sheeple".

Change the subject, try to cast aspersions on other people, but recognize the Democrats, who you rooted so heavily for to attain power, are not behaving above board. They are putting a known corrupt politician at the very top of the power structure in Congress. Bravo.

Was Murtha a good soldier? From all accounts a very good soldier. Does that mean he is above criticism for his positions on the war, or for corrupt dealings? Hell no. I live three blocks from Murtha's district. What is he famous for? Bringing home the bacon - however he has to do it. They talk about him reverently is those terms. He has run adds bragging that he brings more federal $$$$ back than the district pays in!! In fact, people in his district are worried that he won't produce as much pork if he is busy having to be a national spokesperson.

Dude is the personification of what is wrong with Congress. A career bribe-taking, favor-granting politician, fat with pork, who, if you haven't figured it out yet, was a career hawk until he saw he could make a power grab by becoming outspokenly anti-war. He became the face of the Democrat cut and run crowd - and he is being rewarded for that. Did he take his position because he really feels that way? Why would he start making policy decisions like that now? He has a documented history of doing what is politically, personally, monetarily expedient. That is all his "anti-war" stance is, and has been.

101A
11-16-2006, 10:32 AM

The video posted above is 54 minutes long; you haven't seen IT anywhere.

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
As Boutons would say: You are "Sheeple".

Change the subject, try to cast aspersions on other people, but recognize the Democrats, who you rooted so heavily for to attain power, are not behaving above board. They are putting a known corrupt politician at the very top of the power structure in Congress. Bravo.

Was Murtha a good soldier? From all accounts a very good soldier. Does that mean he is above criticism for his positions on the war, or for corrupt dealings? Hell no. I live three blocks from Murtha's district. What is he famous for? Bringing home the bacon - however he has to do it. They talk about him reverently is those terms. He has run adds bragging that he brings more federal $$$$ back than the district pays in!! In fact, people in his district are worried that he won't produce as much pork if he is busy having to be a national spokesperson.

Dude is the personification of what is wrong with Congress. A career bribe-taking, favor-granting politician, fat with pork, who, if you haven't figured it out yet, was a career hawk until he saw he could make a power grab by becoming outspokenly anti-war. He became the face of the Democrat cut and run crowd - and he is being rewarded for that. Did he take his position because he really feels that way? Why would he start making policy decisions like that now? He has a documented history of doing what is politically, personally, monetarily expedient. That is all his "anti-war" stance is, and has been.

All I have been hearing about Murtha is how CORRUPT he is. Has he ever been charged with wrongdoing?

"He has a documented history of doing what is politically, personally, monetarily expedient. That is all his "anti-war" stance is, and has been"

I am suuming you are going to lump the rest of Congress when you make these accusations. Believe it or not there are many principled folks who are against this war and think we should get out..I know it's hard to imagine anyone who disagress with why we went to war but it is possible.

He became the face of the Democrat cut and run crowd - and he is being rewarded for that. Did he take his position because he really feels that way?

As opposed to the "stay the ("we're not sure what it is) course" so we can play politics with it? Now we aren't staying that course anymore.. Maybe he does feel this way. Is that alright with you? Or does he need to blindly support Bush?

Change the subject, try to cast aspersions on other people, but recognize the Democrats, who you rooted so heavily for to attain power, are not behaving above board. They are putting a known corrupt politician at the very top of the power structure in Congress.

If he is elected majority leader then we can talk but currently he has not been "put" anywhere. How has anything that the dems have done in less than a week not above board? They aren't even in control yet sheesh.. can they at least start the new session before you start throwing eild accusations around.. Again has he been charged with any wrong doing? Tom DeLay skirtted the rules and flaunted the fact yet no outrage from you or any other conservatives..

JoeChalupa
11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Would you mind fleshing out your logic here? What does the "far left" have to do with John Murtha?

Uh, Pelosi for one. We cannot simply pull out of Iraq without getting the job done. Murtha is too far to the left, IMO, to be effective at this time.

101A
11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
All I have been hearing about Murtha is how CORRUPT he is. Has he ever been charged with wrongdoing?

"He has a documented history of doing what is politically, personally, monetarily expedient. That is all his "anti-war" stance is, and has been"

I am suuming you are going to lump the rest of Congress when you make these accusations. Believe it or not there are many principled folks who are against this war and think we should get out..I know it's hard to imagine anyone who disagress with why we went to war but it is possible.

He became the face of the Democrat cut and run crowd - and he is being rewarded for that. Did he take his position because he really feels that way?

As opposed to the "stay the ("we're not sure what it is) course" so we can play politics with it? Now we aren't staying that course anymore.. Maybe he does feel this way. Is that alright with you? Or does he need to blindly support Bush?

Change the subject, try to cast aspersions on other people, but recognize the Democrats, who you rooted so heavily for to attain power, are not behaving above board. They are putting a known corrupt politician at the very top of the power structure in Congress.

If he is elected majority leader then we can talk but currently he has not been "put" anywhere. How has anything that the dems have done in less than a week not above board? They aren't even in control yet sheesh.. can they at least start the new session before you start throwing eild accusations around.. Again has he been charged with any wrong doing? Tom DeLay skirtted the rules and flaunted the fact yet no outrage from you or any other conservatives..

Officially "charged" with wrongdoing is now the standard by how we charge politicians? Shall I go back and see if you have referenced Bush, Cheney or Rumsfeld "Lying" about getting us into the war in Iraq? After all, have they been "charged" with anything?

11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
CNN just broke with Hoyer over Murtha for majority leader, 149-86.

clambake
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Joe, what are the chances of getting the job done? General Abazaid said more troops are not needed. This is a contradiction of what is happening on the ground. I suspect there is no room left inside the green zone to protect additional troops.

How can a huge convoy of vehicles filled with armed gunmen drive right up to the education ministry, round up and kidnap 110 people, load them all into the vehicles, and in a row, drive right through checkpoints unchallenged?

I don't know if Murtha is right, but reality is being ignored.

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Officially "charged" with wrongdoing is now the standard by how we charge politicians? Shall I go back and see if you have referenced Bush, Cheney or Rumsfeld "Lying" about getting us into the war in Iraq? After all, have they been "charged" with anything?

I have never said Bush lied..I certainly believe he intentionally cherry picked information but never lied. Misleading is different than lying..so then what is your standard? Inuendo? Charges that come form the opposing political party? Is that all we need to now label someone as corrupt..

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Thank God now the righties will have to complain about something else...and to think the dems have yet to start the new session..

101A
11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
I have never said Bush lied..I certainly believe he intentionally cherry picked information but never lied. Misleading is different than lying..so then what is your standard? Inuendo? Charges that come form the opposing political party? Is that all we need to now label someone as corrupt..

No, a 54 minute video from the FBI pretty much does it for me, however.

Good to see he wasn't elected, and that the Dems went against Pelosi (a good sign for conservatives), I honestly thought her endorsement would carry the day.

clambake
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
She can just say "Well Jack, I tried, now let's move forward".

Now prepare for Hoyers autopsy.

Ya Vez
11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I wonder what the other 37 blue dog democrats are going to think.. if the far left takes control .. they will be outed in 2 years.. much like the far right did this past election.. my prediction... Divided Goverment Forever... and that sucks..

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 12:54 PM
She can just say "Well Jack, I tried, now let's move forward".

Now prepare for Hoyers autopsy.

That's exactly what I think. I think Pelosi owed him for his support. Now that he lsot she can look him in the eye and tell him she had his back. The moderates will carry the day and this will stump the whannity kool aid drinkers/ ditto heads...

IceColdBrewski
11-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Even the lefties on Air America radio (Young Turks program) were admitting that Murtha is corrupt this morning. But they added that he's just "old school corrupt." That makes it OK apparently. :rolleyes

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
In the end moderates won out and that is good for the country.

101A
11-16-2006, 01:12 PM
In the end moderates won out and that is good for the country.

Pelosi + Hoyer != Moderate

A corrupt politician, however, lost, and that is good. Also, as much as you rag on Hannity and Rush; you do realize that they probably helped ensure this outcome?

JoeChalupa
11-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Come on Democrats!!

George Gervin's Afro
11-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Pelosi + Hoyer != Moderate

A corrupt politician, however, lost, and that is good. Also, as much as you rag on Hannity and Rush; you do realize that they probably helped ensure this outcome?

memo to 101A..One person does not define a party....
I know that is what is spewed on the talk show circuit but Pelosi needs the moderates to get anything done in the House. And to be honest I am glad that the 'middle/moderates' FINALLY have some say in how this country is run..

Oh, Gee!!
11-16-2006, 01:44 PM

smart move

spurster
11-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Uh, Pelosi for one. We cannot simply pull out of Iraq without getting the job done. Murtha is too far to the left, IMO, to be effective at this time.
Too far to the left? According the latest ratings (http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?sig_id=004121M), Lieberman (66) is more liberal than Murtha (62). Obama rates 83. Hoyer is 71.