PDA

View Full Version : Mel Martinez: Immigration Issue A Hot-Potato For GOP

Nbadan
11-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Has anyone spent any time at right-wing blogs lately? Over at Hot Air, Free Republic, Little Green Footballs there is pure rage over the fact that the RNC is now going to be chaired by a Hispanic, Mel Martinez of Florida, who is ok with comprehensive immigration reform.

I think this is the single biggest threat the GOP, the party of Reagan, has faced in sometime. If Bush signs on to the comprehensive immigration reform, which they consider amnesty, they'll stay home in droves in 2008 and jump parties to the Constitution and Libertarian parties. I've read dozens of posts saying that they're already done with the GOP.

This is fantastic. Let's make sure we don't do the same thing and eat each other alive over the debate about impeaching Bush, ok? We've got the GOP on the ropes. If we start a civil war the way they have, it'll rob us of a permanent victory.

2008 is the key to everything. Republican have 21 senators up for re-election, Demos only have 12. If Demos go in strong while they're in a state of disarray, Demos can wipe them out for an entire generation, capture a half dozen seats in the Senate, either cement or expand their majority in the House, and put another Demo in the White House.

Here are some quotes from wing-nut sites, including Malkins (http://michellemalkin.com/archives/006360.htm):

"I’m scared and disoriented."
"It really is time for a 3rd, conservative party. F— the RNC."
"Ugh. The RNC has lost touch with its conservative base. So much for 2008."
"That’s it. I’m starting my own party."
"Screw the RNC. I’m goin’ home."
"Now I know how Zell Miller felt. The Republican Party has left me."
"Fortunately, there’s the Constitution Party a waitin’! Join me in starting grassroots branches of it all across the country. Please. Let’s send a message."
"The GOP does not like real conservatives. They are not party elite and are to be shunned."
"This news brings vision of a 3rd party closer to reality."
"I agree. Sometimes there's just that one little straw that breaks the back. I've had it."
"And now the Republicans pour gasoline on their train wreck..."
"This is a disaster."
"'08 disaster is guaranteed with this choice."
"I am SO ready for a new party..."

Zunni
11-13-2006, 07:44 PM
The Demos found their wedge issue, and shoved it up Rove's fat ass, a not so inconsiderable feat.

xrayzebra
11-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Only one problem Dan, the dimms don't want to really
touch immigration reform until after the 08 elections.
I wonder why?

Nbadan
11-14-2006, 01:33 AM
Why should the DeMOs want to touch this issue, its the Republicans that will self-implode if left alone...

US: Immigrants may be held indefinitely By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON -Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts, the Bush administration said Monday, opening a new legal front in the fight over the rights of detainees.

In court documents filed with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., the Justice Department said a new anti-terrorism law being used to hold detainees in Guantanamo Bay also applies to foreigners captured and held in the United States.

Ali Saleh Kahlah Al-Marri, a citizen of Qatar, was arrested in 2001 while studying in the United States. He has been labeled an "enemy combatant," a designation that, under a law signed last month, strips foreigners of the right to challenge their detention in federal courts.

That law is being used to argue the Guantanamo Bay cases, but Al-Marri represents the first detainee inside the United States to come under the new law. Aliens normally have the right to contest their imprisonment, such as when they are arrested on immigration violations or for other crimes.

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/detainees_lawsuits_9)

That'll help court the hispanic vote in 08 - NOT!

AFBlue
11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Why should the DeMOs want to touch this issue, its the Republicans that will self-implode if left alone...

Yeah that's the attitude the Democratic Party needs to take. Ignore all the big issues, except for Iraq, rest on their laurels, and wait for the Republican Party to screw it up.

Only one problem with that...these issues don't fix themselves, and if the Democrats win in '08, Immigration and other pressing issues will be there to greet them at the door.

101A
11-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah that's the attitude the Democratic Party needs to take. Ignore all the big issues, except for Iraq, rest on their laurels, and wait for the Republican Party to screw it up.

Only one problem with that...these issues don't fix themselves, and if the Democrats win in '08, Immigration and other pressing issues will be there to greet them at the door.

Haven't you been paying attention? It's not about whats good for the country, it's about whats good for your party. Please try to keep up.