PDA

View Full Version : In His Words: Fabricio Oberto

Kori Ellis
11-13-2006, 10:30 PM
In His Words: Fabricio Oberto

By: Mauricio Mendoza

Fabricio Oberto is now part of the starting lineup for the San Antonio Spurs. He has slowly gained his coach’s and teammate’s trust and in only six games, he’s broken a franchise record shooting 11 of 11 from the field in the team’s victory against the Suns last week.

His numbers and game minutes have tripled during this season’s first two weeks of action in comparison to this same time last year. He expects to continue his protagonist role and is thrilled about the responsibility and participation that his team has trusted him with. Fabricio spoke with NBA.com about his current status in the league.

How has it felt to be a starter during the first two games of the season?
What’s important is that I’ve had more responsibilities and increased participation. I have had the opportunity to add more game minutes, which has enabled me to gain confidence on the court with the team’s structure and my teammates.

After spending a very competitive summer with the Argentine National Team, how do you feel physically to play 82 regular season games?
I always try to take care of myself to be in the best physical shape possible. There are a lot of players that also played in the World Championship and are now playing in the league. In fact, some of them play more minutes than I do, so my situation is not exclusive or different. That’s why I have to work hard every day to stay in shape and keep my mind focused on the game.

Do you feel like you benefited from Nazr Mohammed’s exit from the team? Do you feel like you’re being challenged to replace him?
I think we lost an important player, and we’ve gotten new players since then, so I’m just happy to have the opportunity to increase my participation with the team in the hopes that it’s for the team’s success.

After your first season playing in the NBA, do you feel you’re at 100 percent with the team’s playing structure/system?
Well I’m improving every day. While you can’t memorize every single offensive and defensive play, I think that you have to always try to improve and not conform to what you already. Instead, you should try to look for better ways to do things.

What is your relationship with Tim Duncan like?
Very good, both on and off the court, and we’re getting to know each other better each day. I think that at every training session you begin to better understand where you should be to become more efficient and where your teammates are. This is essential.

Las year you could’ve made it to the finals again. How did you face the team’s elimination against Dallas in the 2005-06 season?
Without a doubt you always try to get as far as possible, especially considering the fact that we were the defending champions last year. But things didn’t work out, that’s why this year, there’s an even bigger motivation to capture the title. We’re working hard to make it all the way.

In the NBA.com General Manager survey, the Spurs were selected as the favorite team to win this year’s Championship. How much pressure does this place on the team?
I think that you pressure yourself, but to be honest, there are plenty of other teams that have the opportunity to win the title and that one way or another have benefited from player trade during the summer.

Do you follow your fellow Argentines in the league - Nocioni, Delfino and Hermann?
Of course, every time I have the opportunity I follow them. I try to watch their games when we don’t play that night. I always wish them the best and hope that they’ll do very well, except when they play against us.

Do you think that you’re party of an unmatched generated of Argentina players?
No, but the truth is that I think we’ve accomplished important milestones for basketball in our country. In the last three tournaments we’ve placed among the best four in the world, two finals, and that’s definitely important. But the most difficult part is maintaining that level and what’s to come. The new players have to work hard to continue that level and keep basketball in Argentina in the best position.

Is Manu still an important support system for you on and off the court?
I think that he’s a good friend and a special player for this team. He’s still a great help to me, he’s always giving me advice whenever he can.

What do you think about the new NBA game basketball?
I think that it’s good. When I was in Europe we were often changing balls. I think this ball has a different grip, but a very comfortable feel.

Kori Ellis
11-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Spanish version:

En sus palabras: Fabricio Oberto

Por: Mauricio Mendoza

Fabricio Oberto pasó hacer parte del quintento titular del San Antonio Spurs. Poco a poco se ha ganado la confianza de Popovich y de sus compañeros. En solo 6 juegos ya dejó su primer récord para la franquicia al anotar 11 de 11 en la victoria de su equipo frente a los Suns la semana anterior.

Sus números y minutos de juego se han triplicado en las primeras dos semanas de acción en comparación con la temporada anterior. Él espera seguir siendo protagonista y está muy contento con la responsabilidad y participación que le han encomendado en el equipo. Fabricio habló con NBA.com sobre su actual momento en la liga.

¿Cómo te has sentido ser titular en los primeros juegos de la temporada?
Creo que lo importante es que he tenido más responsabilidades y más participación, también he contado con más minutos de juego para ir tomando más confianza con el sistema de juego y con mis compañeros.

¿Luego de haber tenido un verano con mucha competición con la selección de Argentina, cómo llegas físicamente para afrontar 82 juegos de temporada regular?
Siempre trato de cuidarme y mantenerme físicamente lo mejor posible, hay un montón de jugadores que también han jugado el mundial y juegan en esta liga, incluso más minutos que yo, así que mi caso no es especial, por eso debo trabajar todos días, mantenerme en forma, tener la mente concentrada para cada juego.

¿Te sientes beneficiado con la salida de Nazr Mohammed? ¿Sientes que tienes el reto de ocupar su lugar?
Creo que él es un jugador importante que perdimos, ahora han llegado otros jugadores, yo simplemente estoy muy contento de tener más participación dentro del equipo y ojalá todo sea por el bien de esta franquicia.

Luego de tu primera temporada en la NBA, ¿te encuentras 100% al sistema de juego de los Spurs?
Bueno todos los días vas mejorando, si bien no te puedes conocer de memoria todos los sistemas ofensivos y defensivos, creo que uno debe de ir mejorando y no conformarse con lo que uno haga sino tratar de buscar mejores cosas siempre.

¿Cómo es tu relación con Tim Duncan?
Muy bien, tanto dentro como fuera de la cancha, conociéndonos cada día mejor. Creo que todos los entrenamientos que pasa, uno va encontrando mejor donde debe estar para rendir más y donde están tus compañeros, eso ha sido fundamental.

Queda el sabor amargo de que el año anterior también pudieron haber llegado a las finales ¿Cómo afrontaste la eliminación del año anterior frente a Dallas?
Sin duda uno siempre espera tratar de llegar hasta lo más alto posible y más tratándose de que éramos los campeones defensores del título. Pero las cosas no se dieron, por eso para este año existe una motivación más grande que es volver a capturar el título, trabajar para llegar a lo más grande.

Los gerentes generales de la NBA ven a los Spurs como los grandes favoritos para ganar este año el campeonato, ¿qué tanta presión siente de llegar hasta lo más alto?
Creo que uno se auto presiona, pero para serte sincero hay muchos equipos que tienen la oportunidad de llegar al título y que de una y otra forma se han beneficiado con los canjes de jugadores durante el verano.

¿Sigues las actuaciones de otros compatriotas como Nocioni, Delfino o Hermann?
Si claro, siempre que tengo la oportunidad los sigo, trato de ver sus juegos cuando nosotros no jugamos esa noche. Yo siempre les deseo lo mejor y hago fuerza para que les vaya muy bien, excepto cuando juegan contra nosotros.

¿Crees que haces parte de una generación de jugadores irrepetible en Argentina?
No, pero la verdad creo que hemos logrado cosas importante para el baloncesto de nuestro país, en los últimos tres torneos hemos estado entre los 4 mejores del mundo, dos finales, sin duda que eso es importante. Pero lo más difícil es mantener esto y lo que viene. Los nuevos jugadores tienen que trabajar muy duro para continuar con este nivel y mantener al baloncesto argentino en las mejores posiciones.

¿Sigue siendo Manu un apoyo dentro y fuera de la cancha para vos?
Creo que es un buen amigo y un jugador especial para este equipo, sigue siendo una gran ayuda para mí, siempre trata de darme consejos en cada momento que puede.

¿Qué opinas del nuevo balón de la NBA?
La verdad muy bien, cuando estaba en Europa a menudo también se hacia cambios de balón. Creo que este balón tiene un agarre diferente, pero yo la verdad me he sentido muy cómodo.

ducks
11-13-2006, 10:31 PM
do you have a french version
LOL