PDA

View Full Version : Plutonium found in Iran waste facility

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Plutonium found in Iran waste facility

1 hour, 38 minutes ago

VIENNA, Austria - International Atomic Energy experts have found unexplained plutonium and highly enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in
Iran and have asked Tehran for an explanation, an IAEA report said Tuesday.

The report, prepared for next week's meeting of the 35-nation IAEA, also faulted Tehran for not cooperating with the agency's attempts to investigate suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear program that have lead to fears it might be interested in developing nuclear arms....

Both highly enriched uranium and plutonium can be used to make the fissile core of nuclear warheads, and Iran is under intense international pressure to freeze activities that can produce such substances....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear_8

So when does Bush invade?

boutons_
11-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Hagee, God Personally told him to defend Israel, is getting fitted for his uniform right now. :lol

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Meanwhile, we get to deal with our grateful liberatees....

Gunmen kidnap scores at Baghdad office

By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Gunmen dressed as police commandos kidnapped scores of staff and visitors in a lightning raid on an education ministry office Tuesday in one of the biggest mass abductions since the start of the U.S. occupation. Five senior police officers — including the neighborhood police chief — were arrested, the government said.

At least 82 people were killed or found dead in murders, bombings and clashes nationwide.

Alaa Makki, head of parliament's education committee, interrupted the legislative session Tuesday morning to say that between 100 and 150 people, both Shiites and Sunnis, had been abducted in the 9:30 a.m. raid at the ministry offices, calling the kidnapping a "national catastrophe."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_061114140911

101A
11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Plutonium found in Iran waste facility

1 hour, 38 minutes ago

VIENNA, Austria - International Atomic Energy experts have found unexplained plutonium and highly enriched uranium traces in a nuclear waste facility in
Iran and have asked Tehran for an explanation, an IAEA report said Tuesday.

The report, prepared for next week's meeting of the 35-nation IAEA, also faulted Tehran for not cooperating with the agency's attempts to investigate suspicious aspects of Iran's nuclear program that have lead to fears it might be interested in developing nuclear arms....

Both highly enriched uranium and plutonium can be used to make the fissile core of nuclear warheads, and Iran is under intense international pressure to freeze activities that can produce such substances....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061114/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear_8

So when does Bush invade?

I'm pretty sure Israel will bomb the living crap out of them (self preservation necessitating this) b4 we have to do anything like invade.

We will, however, have Israel's back.

This could get REAL hot REAL fast.

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Israel will bomb the living crap out of them (self preservation necessitating this) b4 we have to do anything like invade.But why is this situation any different from prewar Iraq? The fact they actually have fissile material and not phantom yellacake purchase orders? My question is more to the hawks who have made themselves pretty scarce of late.

boutons_
11-14-2006, 02:43 PM
"But why is this situation any different from prewar Iraq?"

Apart from the bogus Iraq "evidence" of WMD and Saddam+WTC, ....

Iraq Army and military was obliterated in the '91 war, and it reconstruction denied by US flyovers and embargo. As Reagan showed with Grenada and Panama, the Repugs in Iraq were Macho Man when their isn't any opposing force.

Iran is armed to the teeth, and somewhat allied with Russia and China.

There isn't a military solution for Iran. Iran will continue doing whatever it wants.

Israel and US don't have enough ordnance to bomb Iran's huge nuclear and military sites effectively.

Imagine the consequences from the Arab world if Israel and US ganged up on Iran.

smeagol
11-14-2006, 03:13 PM
the hawks who have made themselves pretty scarce of late.
You got that straight, chumpie :lol

101A
11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
"But why is this situation any different from prewar Iraq?"

Apart from the bogus Iraq "evidence" of WMD and Saddam+WTC, ....

Iraq Army and military was obliterated in the '91 war, and it reconstruction denied by US flyovers and embargo. As Reagan showed with Grenada and Panama, the Repugs in Iraq were Macho Man when their isn't any opposing force.

Iran is armed to the teeth, and somewhat allied with Russia and China.

There isn't a military solution for Iran. Iran will continue doing whatever it wants.

Israel and US don't have enough ordnance to bomb Iran's huge nuclear and military sties effectively.

Imagine the consequences from the Arab world if Israel and US ganged up on Iran.

Imagine the consequences if we sit around, wring our hands, and do nothing while Iran develops a nuclear weapon.

Acmadenajad (sic)..... has said what he wants to do. He has stated how much he is willing to sacrifice to accomplish that goal. What has he done to suggest he won't do what he says he's going to?

boutons_
11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm not recommending "do nothing".

What is the "do something" recommendations, and play out the post-something ramifcations and consequences for all us.

Don't go "slam-dunking" it with no follow-up plans for worst-case scenarios.

Ya Vez
11-14-2006, 04:42 PM
and what would the doves do to prevent iran from getting nuke...?

ChumpDumper
11-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Asked you first since you are the ones who have to explain the discrepancies in your policy. Is it that difficult for you to answer this?

clambake
11-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I'll answer for him. We hawks wont be saddistfied until we nuke some a them basturds. We gonna cure Irack by melting Iran.

midgetonadonkey
11-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I guess we can say goodbye to Israel.

clambake
11-14-2006, 05:22 PM
How do we make a complaint legitimate? Look at what we've done. I think we've made it pretty clear that if you want to protect yourself against us, your going to need some nukes.

If Israel goes apeshit on them, the whole place is going to blowup. Israel cannot act with a first strike. If that happens, look for every country in the region to turn on us.

Ocotillo
11-14-2006, 07:05 PM
How does Israel do anything about this? To get to Iran, they have to fly over Iraq and either Jordan or Syria. If they fly over Iraq, it has to be with our blessing.

We have been through this before. Thanks to the occupation of Iraq our options are limited as to what to do with Iran. Simply launching air strikes cannot guarantee that we will stop the program because we may not be able to knock everything out that needs to be hit. Knowing that, ground forces have to follow up any air strikes. Where do we get them? We could desert the Iraqi mission and charge across the border but then what happens to Iraq?

We may want to try to use Sunni dominated nations as leverage against Shiite Iraq. How far will they go and how much help can they provide? For instance, Saudi Arabia might be convinced to aid Israel in a strike against Tehran but the Islamic extremist that follow bin Laden would be enraged by that and would likely try and destablize the Saudi royal family.

Nuking Iran would likely slow the progress of the Iranians obtaining their own nukes but the rest of the world would be horrified at that and the muslim world would be inflamed.

Maybe there is nothing we can do to stop Iran from getting nukes.

clambake
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Why would anyone provide us help? They don't have to. We're out of leverage.

Nbadan
11-14-2006, 07:39 PM
not so fast...

UN official: Don't read too much into this plutonium thing

A senior U.N. official who was familiar with the report cautioned against reading too much into the findings of traces of highly enriched uranium and plutonium, saying Iran had explained both and they could plausibly be classified as byproducts of peaceful nuclear activities.

CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/14/ap/world/mainD8LD3R383.shtml)

clambake
11-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm not jumping to any conclusions. This administration has a habit of doing just that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
When WW III starts, it will be in the Middle East. This we all know.

However, we have one mechanism that might save the planet. It worked during the Cold War, it could help to keep the balance in the ME. I'm talking about MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction. I think that is the world's only real hope as there is no stopping Iran developing nuclear weapons.

In fact, i don't mind if the State of Iran has nukes, as long as they don't sell them to anyone else. It is in Iran's interests, just as it is Israel's and everyone else's interests, not to start a nuclear war. It's Iran selling the things to terrorists that we have to worry about.

BTW, anyone know what happened to those suitcase nukes the Russians lost track of? Last I heard, and this must have been 5 pr 6 years ago, there were 70 missing Russian suitcase nukes. Anyone?