PDA

View Full Version : The continuing development of TP

SenorSpur
11-14-2006, 10:55 PM
It's true that Tony Parker is developing into one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league right before our eyes. His hard work has really starting to pay dividends in terms of his increased scoring, FG and FT percentages.

IMO for him to become an elite PG, he's going to have to develop better passing instincts - especially when he's having an off shooting night like tonight.

It's one thing to make defenders pay for sliding underneath a pick and roll and burying the jumper consistently. However, it's quite another to hit guys who are either cutting through the lane or coming off the wing on a break. He's proven that he has the ability to draw defenders on the drive and kick it over to a teammate with a wide open look. I just haven't seen him do it that much this season. Once he makes his mind up to score, he usually does and that's not a bad thing.

It just disturbs me to see a guy like Elson, who is working hard, sprinting open down the court or wide open on the weak side and he doesn't get the ball (btw, FE routinely beats his man down court). PGs should make the game easier for their teammates. At this point, Beno seems to do a better job of seeing the entire floor than Tony.

He's only 24 and I know I'm nitpicking here because TP is a fabulous player, but I'd like to see him develop an affinity for being able to beat teams in other ways besides scoring - especially when his shot is not falling.

That's how many of the great PGs got their label of being great. Once TP accomplishes this, he'll truly achieve that "greatness" of that all-around game Pop has been pushing him for.

Kori Ellis
11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Weird. I thought he passed pretty well tonight and just thought the shooters missed shots.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2006, 11:17 PM
still has those games where he disappears though.....why doesnt he continue attackin and draw fouls, or look for the outlet pass.

beno udrih looks like he can start on most scrub teams, i wonder whats his stats will be if he was starting playin 30mins.......

Spurs Dynasty 21
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm just going to look at this game as nothing more then an off-night

with the level of play he's playing this isn't something to worry about

Kori Ellis
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
still has those games where he disappears though

Every freakin player in the league has bad games every once in a while.

Tony has become one of the most consistent players there is.

I knew he'd have a bad game and the hate would come out, even though he's been awesome every other game while Tim/Manu and everyone else have struggled.

Tonight he had five assists and only one turnover. And he could have had a lot more assists in early the game when the whole team was bricking.

SenorSpur
11-14-2006, 11:27 PM

I knew he'd have a bad game and the hate would come out, even though he's been awesome every other game while Tim/Manu and everyone else have struggled.

Tonight he had five assists and only one turnover. And he could have had a lot more assists in early the game when the whole team was bricking.

No doubt about that. TP has been the most consistent Spur. Besides, he freakin' carried this team most of last season too.

My comments were really about him developing better passing instincts and court awareness so that he can beat teams in other ways besides scoring.

This is not to say that TP isn't a top flight PG now because he certainly is.

Kori Ellis
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
No doubt about that. TP has been the most consistent Spur. Besides, he freakin' carried this team most of last season too.

My comments were really about him developing better passing instincts and court awareness so that he can beat teams in other ways besides scoring.

This is not to say that TP isn't a top flight PG now because he certainly is.

Yeah I understood your comments. I just thought tonight his passing was pretty good. He definitely still has his tunnel vision moments here and there.

My comments were mainly because I just knew that TDMVPDPOY and the other Parker haters would arrive talking about how he always chokes, Beno is a better player, blahblah.

TDMVPDPOY
11-14-2006, 11:34 PM
My comments were mainly because I just knew that TDMVPDPOY and the other Parker haters would arrive talking about how he always chokes, Beno is a better player, blahblah.

:ihit

T Park
11-14-2006, 11:36 PM
The Parker haters have nothing left and are beyond grasping at straws.

The depths they are now going for the hate is beyond moronic.

pjjrfan
11-14-2006, 11:36 PM
The most impressive thing about Tony tonight is that in the 4th with his game not there, he concentrated on getting the ball to Tim and Manu and just taking care when bringing it up the court. He didn't try to force anything, took his shots when they were there and just generally ran the team as they got a lead and held it. To me when Tony can find that groove of knowing game situations and when to take over and when to do what he did this night, the guy will have arrived. Tonight showed that with a healthy Tim and Manu and guys contributing, the Spurs don't need Tony to score a lot of points, but there will be many games when Tony can and should take over, it's just knowing when to do that and when to get his teammates involved.

Trainwreck2100
11-14-2006, 11:37 PM
The Parker haters have nothing left and are beyond grasping at straws.

The depths they are now going for the hate is beyond moronic.

Even though he was a no show tonight

smeagol
11-14-2006, 11:38 PM
TDMVPDPOY is the new brewski

Borosai
11-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Tony has definitely been the most consistent Spur, so a bad game is no big deal...he'll have a great game next time...and the time after that...and so on.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
tony has played well enough to earn a few nights off here and there

ShoogarBear
11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
What was nice was that in the fourth he knew he didn't have it, so he didn't try to force it, and hit the one jumper he needed to.

smeagol
11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
What was nice was that in the fourth he knew he didn't have it, so he didn't try to force it, and hit the one jumper he needed to.
So true.

When he came in in the fourth I thought to myself he was going to screw things up given the shooting off-night he was having.

Props to Tony.

BeerIsGood!
11-14-2006, 11:55 PM
still has those games where he disappears though.....why doesnt he continue attackin and draw fouls, or look for the outlet pass.

Tough Crowd.

No one is "ON" every night.

timvp
11-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I didn't like how when TP missed some shots early, that started effecting other aspects of his game. His defense was poor for the most part and he never pushed the ball up the court after his slow offensive start.

Parker has to reach the point that even if he isn't hitting shots, he has to keep playing defense and keep pushing the ball. When Parker is tentative, the Spurs aren't that good of a team.

Bruno
11-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Parker sin't perfect but the good news is that he is still young and that he ahs improved a lot of things for five years (including his leadership).

BTW, An interesting quote from Pop about that just before the start of the season :

We're looking to him to become more and more a point guard and a leader each year. That's why we concentrated on for him to understand team needs between finding teammates and doing by himself, the kind of things Steve Nash is doing so well. He is trying to learn that component of being a point guard.

Samr
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
You don't have to affect the stat books to affect the game.

SequSpur
11-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Without Parker, the Spurs are out of San Antonio.

Develop this.

Trainwreck2100
11-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Without Parker, the Spurs are out of San Antonio.

Develop this.

?????

Samr
11-15-2006, 12:17 AM
^^^^Don't mind sequ. Whenever he doesn't have anything intelligent to argue, he just puts words together that sound controversial.

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Parker sin't perfect but the good news is that he is still young and that he ahs improved a lot of things for five years (including his leadership).

BTW, An interesting quote from Pop about that just before the start of the season :

only thing i agree on is tony parker > eddy curry improveness

Shaolin-Style
11-15-2006, 12:46 AM
He's definitely a badass. I'm surprised he doesn't have a super huge ego by now, he's so young and has such a long career ahead of him and that's gonna be awesome, especially for us.

pichichi63
11-15-2006, 12:52 AM
It's only the first game that TP fail since the beginning of the season. But Tonight he 'll not play the same game vs Bobcats!!!!

GO TP!!! GO SPURS GO

SenorSpur
11-15-2006, 12:54 AM
He's definitely a badass. I'm surprised he doesn't have a super huge ego by now, he's so young and has such a long career ahead of him and that's gonna be awesome, especially for us.

Tony is really very well-grounded. A tribute to his parents, especially his father - Tony Sr. who was a balla in his own right.

He's also the product of good coaching and good teammates.

SequSpur
11-15-2006, 12:55 AM
I've been saying this for years. Tony is the best player on the Spurs. Welcome to the fan club.

Dartherus
11-15-2006, 02:43 AM

Tim and manu play better in hot games like this, confirmed, they can relax during most of the games of regular season when Parker is on fire, to save their stamina for the playoff, where they become real beasts.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-15-2006, 03:19 AM
Tony is really very well-grounded. A tribute to his parents, especially his father - Tony Sr. who was a balla in his own right.

He's also the product of good coaching and good teammates.
All of the big three are really good teammates to each other and for the team. Tony gets flak cuz he gets tunnel-vision and (in the past) he didn't have the court awareness, a veteran point guard has, but he's picking it up. I don't think he does it to be a ball-hog, in the past he would force his offense at times which got annoying to watch ( I blamed Pop's orders).

So far Tony's been the most consistent player for the team for a year and a half now.

mathbzh
11-15-2006, 03:52 AM
Tony started is career so young that he is already judged as a veteran. He still as time to improve. But, IMO he will never be a 10ast a game PG.

Reminder:
When Nash was 24 (98/99) he had 8 pts and 5.5 assists in 31 minutes.

P.S. CP3 is amazing to be so good so young.

SAGambler
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Reminder:
When Nash was 24 (98/99) he had 8 pts and 5.5 assists in 31 minutes.

And TP is averaging just over 5 assists, but over 21 points.

And yes, I think we will see the day when Tony gets 10 a game. His game gets better and better each year. Remember....a couple of nights back he had 6 in the first quarter. He is slowly becoming a Nashesque guard. Get his teammates involved in the scoring early on.
Problem last night.....they were all throwing up bricks a lot of the second and third quarters.

mathbzh
11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
The reminder on Nash was just to show how experience can improve PG production and that Tony is better than he was.
But, because he is not a pass-first PG, I believe Tony will never have 10 assist a game. Something like 23 points/7.5 assists could be a nice goal.

ducks
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
it will be intersting once td leaves and if the spurs do not have a big that alot of the o goes thru what tp's assist will do

ChumpDumper
11-15-2006, 02:37 PM
You guys realize that in the past seven years exactly two players have averaged 10 or more assists, right?

TDMVPDPOY
11-15-2006, 02:45 PM
You guys realize that in the past seven years exactly two players have averaged 10 or more assists, right?

does tim duncan ring a bell?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't know if he rings bells, but he's never averaged 10 assists.

spurs_in_7
11-15-2006, 03:24 PM
parker will cool down to his normal self, hes is just in a hot streak

he will never ever average more than 7 assists

Spurminator
11-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't know if he rings bells, but he's never averaged 10 assists.

:lol

SenorSpur
11-15-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm sure. While TP does lead the team in assists (5.3), that doesn't mean that he's not capable of upping that total to somewhere around 7 or 8 apg.

If he were to do this, I think the Spurs would be an even more potent offensive team - whether it be in transition or half court.

ShoogarBear
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
TP will never be shit in my book until he averages 2 steals per game.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm sure. While TP does lead the team in assists (5.3), that doesn't mean that he's not capable of upping that total to somewhere around 7 or 8 apg.

If he were to do this, I think the Spurs would be an even more potent offensive team - whether it be in transition or half court.I agree if Tony's teammates made two more shots off of Tony's kickouts per game, we'd be a more potent offensive team.

Kori Ellis
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
TP will never be shit in my book until he averages 2 steals per game.

:lmao

If he ever got that, then someone would complain about his blocks :fro

SpursWoman
11-15-2006, 05:31 PM
:lmao

If he ever got that, then someone would complain about his blocks :fro

:lmao :lol