PDA

View Full Version : University of the Incarnate Word

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know about this university?

I was going to go to UTSA next Fall but they do not have a Sports Management program and Incarnate Word does.

I do not know a thing about Incarnate Word. Is it expensive? Is it a good school to go to?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Don't be as flamboyantly gay there as you are on the internets.

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I rather hear it from people who live around the area or have went to school there.

SpursWoman
11-15-2006, 05:26 PM
That is incredibly weird ... I was just reviewing an order they placed with us right when I opened the Club. :wow

I know they have a beautiful light display at Christmas... :angel

Mixability
11-15-2006, 05:28 PM
I rather hear it from people who live around the area or have went to school there.

ok

ashbeeigh
Being a private university they're going to be super duper exspensive, probably small class sizes and have good relationships with the professors as oppossed with the bigger schools (you go to Texas State right?) where you have the huge class sizes.

Chris Bell
Decent if unspectacular college; quite a bit more expensive than UTSA (private schools generally are). A lot smaller enrollment-wise, which IMO is a good thing. About $20K/year for tuition and fees. Add $6K to live on-campus. Good financial aid available:

* Full-time freshman enrollment: 573
* Number who applied for need-based aid: 542
* Number who were judged to have need: 425
* Number who were offered aid: 425
* Number who had full need met: 272

* Average percent of need met: 68%
* Average financial aid package: $12,547
* Average need-based loan: $2,838
* Average need-based scholarship or grant award: $8,274
* Average non-need based aid: $5,869
* Average indebtedness at graduation: $23,383

11-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Might want to brush up on the 'ol grammer skills before you fill out the essay part of your application as well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-15-2006, 05:30 PM

I was going to go to UTSA next Fall but they do not have a Sports Management program and Incarnate Word does.

I do not know a thing about Incarnate Word. Is it expensive? Is it a good school to go to?

If you're really serious, I can have a friend of mine pass some stuff along. She graduated from there recently and is now at Texas Woman's doing her grad work.

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:31 PM
$20K/year???? Holy shit. I wonder how many hours that is.

My tutition and fees for Texas State for 12 hrs was a little under $3K for a semester so around 6-8K a year. I would never be able to afford $20K a year.

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
If you're really serious, I can have a friend of mine pass some stuff along. She graduated from there recently and is now at Texas Woman's doing her grad work.
Yes, I am serious. I am going into Sports Management, where ever the place is. Not many universities in Texas have Sports Management programs. The only others are Rice, Houston, Texas, Texas A&M (Bachelor's programs).

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Also, I am not a freshman, I would be a transfer student.

Chris Bell
11-15-2006, 05:36 PM

My tutition and fees for Texas State for 12 hrs was a little under $3K for a semester so around 6-8K a year. I would never be able to afford $20K a year.

As I said, there's a lot of financial aid offered. Don't let that stop you from trying; they'll put together an aid package and the more dire straits you are in financially, the more they will offer. THEN you can decide.

Chris Bell
11-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Might want to brush up on the 'ol grammer skills before you fill out the essay part of your application as well.

Not to mention spelling, hey?

11-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Not to mention spelling, hey?

Yea, that would probably help too.

Damnit

MannyIsGod
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM

My tutition and fees for Texas State for 12 hrs was a little under $3K for a semester so around 6-8K a year. I would never be able to afford $20K a year.Very few people are able to afford that kind of money for school out of pocket, but there are financial aid programs available. Texas State is a state funded school, thats why its so cheap. All private universities are more expensive, but generally speaking they are better schools. You can't really get much worse than UTSA, however.

ZStomp
11-15-2006, 05:50 PM
I know they have a beautiful light display at Christmas... :angel

Yes. They do. In two weeks ;)

ZStomp
11-15-2006, 05:51 PM
ok

:lmao :lmao

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Very few people are able to afford that kind of money for school out of pocket, but there are financial aid programs available. Texas State is a state funded school, thats why its so cheap. All private universities are more expensive, but generally speaking they are better schools. You can't really get much worse than UTSA, however.
Well I am goin to get that FASFA or whatever. Then I guess I can get Financial Aid.

Good 'N Plenty
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
I have a degree from UTSA and proud of it. :tu

td4mvp21
11-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Yes, I am serious. I am going into Sports Management, where ever the place is. Not many universities in Texas have Sports Management programs. The only others are Rice, Houston, Texas, Texas A&M (Bachelor's programs).

Are you saying UT? Or another university?

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 06:06 PM
Are you saying UT? Or another university?
University of Texas-Austin. UT, yes.

FromWayDowntown
11-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Being a transfer student will reduce, to some extent at least, your overall expenditure while you're in college. But, there's also a price to being a transfer. Transfer applications are frequently viewed more searchingly than the applications of those who would be incoming freshmen. By that, I mean that some schools won't take transfers who don't meet fairly rigorous requirements for admission.

On top of that, you're likely to lose some hours in transfer, which will increase your cost on the backend and either keep you in school longer or require you to take more than the usual load of hours if you intend to graduate on time. At a private university, hanging around a bit longer than normal can get very expensive, as others have stated.

In the end, though, I'd say that it never hurts to try. I'd recommend that you apply for admission and for as much financial aid as you possibly can, and see what happens. It could well be that UIW will be extremely generous with financial aid and make the possibility of a transfer a very affordable one and help you to reach your goals.

But also I think you should remember that it doesn't necessarily take a degree in sports management to find a job in sports management. There are plenty of people with careers in sports management that don't have degrees in that field; there are also plenty of people with degrees in sports management who are working other jobs. If I were you, I'd be going around and offering my services to any job that might allow me a foot in the door of that industry -- in San Antonio, I'd be volunteering to work in the management offices of the Spurs, Missions, Rampage, Silver Stars, or any other similar organization. It would be odd to me that universities would have such internships available to students from other campuses, but it wouldn't hurt to try the Athletic Departments at UTSA, UIW, Trinity, Texas State and places like that, too. If you can find local businesses that operate in that field, I'd try them too. Even if you have the degree, most employers will want the experience -- and if you have the experience, the degree might not make any difference.

td4mvp21
11-15-2006, 06:09 PM
University of Texas-Austin. UT, yes.
They do have a sports management program?? I had looked and didn't see one.

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Being a transfer student will reduce, to some extent at least, your overall expenditure while you're in college. But, there's also a price to being a transfer. Transfer applications are frequently viewed more searchingly than the applications of those who would be incoming freshmen. By that, I mean that some schools won't take transfers who don't meet fairly rigorous requirements for admission.

On top of that, you're likely to lose some hours in transfer, which will increase your cost on the backend and either keep you in school longer or require you to take more than the usual load of hours if you intend to graduate on time. At a private university, hanging around a bit longer than normal can get very expensive, as others have stated.

In the end, though, I'd say that it never hurts to try. I'd recommend that you apply for admission and for as much financial aid as you possibly can, and see what happens. It could well be that UIW will be extremely generous with financial aid and make the possibility of a transfer a very affordable one and help you to reach your goals.

But also I think you should remember that it doesn't necessarily take a degree in sports management to find a job in sports management. There are plenty of people with careers in sports management that don't have degrees in that field; there are also plenty of people with degrees in sports management who are working other jobs. If I were you, I'd be going around and offering my services to any job that might allow me a foot in the door of that industry -- in San Antonio, I'd be volunteering to work in the management offices of the Spurs, Missions, Rampage, Silver Stars, or any other similar organization. It would be odd to me that universities would have such internships available to students from other campuses, but it wouldn't hurt to try the Athletic Departments at UTSA, UIW, Trinity, Texas State and places like that, too. If you can find local businesses that operate in that field, I'd try them too. Even if you have the degree, most employers will want the experience -- and if you have the experience, the degree might not make any difference.
Yeah, that is what I want to do. I want to do something with the Spurs. I was looking forward to the internship. If I wouldn't have to get the degree and still get the job then I would love that. Because I want to be working in what I love the most, sports rather than wasting my time in school.

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
They do have a sports management program?? I had looked and didn't see one.
http://www.nassm.com/InfoAbout/SportMgmtPrograms/United_States

FromWayDowntown
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, that is what I want to do. I want to do something with the Spurs. I was looking forward to the internship. If I wouldn't have to get the degree and still get the job then I would love that. Because I want to be working in what I love the most, sports rather than wasting my time in school.

I think that's the right idea, but keep two things in mind. First, even though you love the Spurs and desire to ultimately be there, don't limit yourself to finding a job with them. It's better to have a job that you like, even if it's not with the organization you dream of working for, than to have a job you hate. If you want to do sports management, I can't imagine that there's a huge difference in work required of the unpaid job that the Spurs might have and the unpaid job that the Missions might have -- but there's likely to be less competition for the Missions job. That's not to say that you wouldn't be able to work for the Spurs -- just remember that the key is the job. Also, like I said in the other post, I wouldn't limit myself to professional teams -- working in the AD's office or the SID's office at UTSA might, in some ways, be better experience than working for a professional sports franchise, if only because you might have more responsibility and more of an opportunity to get involved with a broader array of matters.

Just a thought.

Also, I wouldn't discount the value of an education, even if you get an internship with the Spurs. I suspect you'll be viewed very differently (and much more favorably) if you have a degree than if you don't. Being in school isn't a waste of time unless you choose to make it that.

td4mvp21
11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.nassm.com/InfoAbout/SportMgmtPrograms/United_States

Thanks man

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I think that's the right idea, but keep two things in mind. First, even though you love the Spurs and desire to ultimately be there, don't limit yourself to finding a job with them. It's better to have a job that you like, even if it's not with the organization you dream of working for, than to have a job you hate. If you want to do sports management, I can't imagine that there's a huge difference in work required of the unpaid job that the Spurs might have and the unpaid job that the Missions might have -- but there's likely to be less competition for the Missions job. That's not to say that you wouldn't be able to work for the Spurs -- just remember that the key is the job. Also, like I said in the other post, I wouldn't limit myself to professional teams -- working in the AD's office or the SID's office at UTSA might, in some ways, be better experience than working for a professional sports franchise, if only because you might have more responsibility and more of an opportunity to get involved with a broader array of matters.

Just a thought.

Also, I wouldn't discount the value of an education, even if you get an internship with the Spurs. I suspect you'll be viewed very differently (and much more favorably) if you have a degree than if you don't. Being in school isn't a waste of time unless you choose to make it that.
Well it isn't a waste but I am just tired of school is all. I want to move on and get a job in sports already is what I am tryin to say. But I do have a degree but not a great one. AS of Science with a major in Computer Science.

Das Texan
11-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I wonder what St. Mary's cost me when I was there. I think for tuition and fees back in the late 90s and early 00s, it was somewhere around 12-14k.

Good thing I had a shitload of scholarships and grants.

Thanks, business school!

Das Texan
11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
and UIW is 8700 a semester right now for tuition and fees, but they do have some one time fees you have to pony up for though.

so thats what? 17,400 a year?

Horry For 3!
11-15-2006, 06:50 PM
and UIW is 8700 a semester right now for tuition and fees, but they do have some one time fees you have to pony up for though.

so thats what? 17,400 a year?
That is a pretty good amount of money.... over twice the amount I would be paying at Tx State.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Josh, more than a couple of people in the SIDs office at State worked their way up from intern status.

IIRC, Steve Wilson (asst. football SID and basketball SID) did exactly that.

ashbeeigh
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Talk with someone about what classes will transfer. That seems to be a big problem at TLU, and i make the comparison because it is private as well. Talk to someone within the Sports medicine department (probably the chair) and see what classes you can tranfer, waive. That'll also give you the personal relationship that a smaller university thrives on. Some people transfer from Texas State here, or vise versa, and lose almost a full year of work. The FAFSA will be your best friend, if I do say so myself. I think I'm paying like $24,000 a year after everything is all put together here.

scott
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM

If you are unable to find answers to these questions on your own, you are too dumb to get into UIW. Try Northwest Vitsa.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Try Northwest Vitsa.

And Josh, if you can't find Northwest Vitsa, Northwest Vista is around the 1604/Culebra area.