PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' unity shines through in Parker deal

Kori Ellis
11-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Mike Monroe: Spurs' unity shines through in Parker deal
Web Posted: 11/03/2004 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110304.9C.COLmonroe.1b742e00.html

San Antonio Express-News

It wasn't merely important to the Spurs' chances of winning the 2005 NBA title that the club signed Tony Parker to a contract extension on Monday night.

It was a necessity.

Gregg Popovich knew it. A coach and executive vice-president doesn't risk the wrath of the man who signs his enormous paycheck unless that is true.

Tim Duncan knew it. A superstar and two-time MVP doesn't intercede in a teammate's contract talks unless that is true.

Fact is, happy teams win championships.

Ask the Lakers.

Serenity is one of the least appreciated factors of a championship formula.

And in the case of Parker, who plays the point with reckless abandon, regularly throwing his spare frame into the mix-master of the NBA's paint, serenity had everything to do with job security.

Now Parker knows the tens of millions of Euros that were out there, almost close enough to grasp and spend, can't vaporize in the event of an unlucky turn of an ankle or twist of a knee.

Oh, Parker would have played hard this season without a contract extension. That's what players in "contract years" do.

But always, in the back of his mind, would have been that "what-if" factor.

"It would be tough, huh?" Parker said of the constant fear of an injury wrecking the dream of hitting the contract lottery. "Tough to play a whole year and sometimes be confused, and be scared at getting an injury, or try to do too much.

"I'm just happy the deal is done and I can play free and my mind is free. I can just play now to try to win a championship. That's my main concern."

For all Popovich's talk about everyone involved in the negotiations being professional, about all concerned being "big boys," human nature has a way of turning a pass for a teammate's easy layup on a three-on-two fast break into a dribble-drive all the way to the basket.

This is not to suggest Parker is a selfish player.

It is to say he is human.

Popovich knew that if the Spurs were to make another run to the NBA Finals this season he needed to know Parker would be focused on nothing but team basketball.

Now Parker says he won't do anything but lead the Spurs to victories, which is how he knows he can prove he is earning that $66 million. He intends to become more of a leader, which does not mean more of a scorer.

"I'm not going to try to score 30 points every game," Parker said. "I'm still going to do my job. We've got a lot of players on the team who can score — Timmy and Manu and Brent Barry — so I'm just going to do the stuff to help this team win. If people don't like it, I don't care. I know I try to help my team win. I'm not going to do crazy stuff just because I have a new contract. Same thing with Manu. We both understand Timmy is the guy and we're going to try to help him."

Teammates helping teammates.

What a concept.

It's what Larry Brown popularized last spring as "playing the right way."

Nobody, not even Brown, understands the team dynamic better than Popovich. Going to bat for a player in a contract negotiation proves it.

So the Spurs go into the season as one big, happy family.

That is why they are the pick here to win the 2005 NBA championship.

That, and Tim Duncan's 75 percent preseason free-throw percentage.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-03-2004, 06:04 PM
That, and Tim Duncan's 75 percent preseason free-throw percentage.

sweet

tlongII
11-03-2004, 06:10 PM
The Spurs should be the favorite in the Western Conference, but I can't see them beating Detroit. The Pistons' balance tends to overwhelm teams.