PDA

View Full Version : Play Butler/white/bonner on b2b games...

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
should pop just throw these guys into the mix and see where they are at?

instead of givin minutes to the regulars if they are not goin to show up....

The Truth #6
11-16-2006, 03:42 PM
I think Pop wants to get Finley on track more than he wants to throw White Flight into the mix. However, I would play Barry more. The dude was on a crazy hot streak. Nothing wrong with riding that.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
he was last year too, and he did alright then genius

Mr. Body
11-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I'd like to see it. We can stand the risk and it would be nice to get some PT for these two young guys. See where Butler is at, see if White has anything at all.

Bruno
11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Elson and Oberto have been quite good so far and they don't play enough to be really tired in a b2b. There is no real need for an out of shape Butler.
Bonner has been quite bad when he has played, I'm not sure that Bonner can really help Spurs for the moment.
To me, the most obvious Spurs weakness is the lack of an athletic swingman that can bring some energy from the bench and it's even more obvious in b2b when Spurs' old swingmen are tired. I'm all for White if he isn't too bad. If White isn't ready to contribute now, Spurs should really think to sign/trade a swingman that can be a spark from the bench with some defense, rebounding and hustle.

Streakyshooter08
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I agree about playing White. I don't really see the risk. Just throw him in there and see what he can do. Fresh legs won't hurt on a b2b... That said, I think Pop would play him if he thinks he could help the team!

Mr. Body
11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
If White isn't ready to contribute now, Spurs should really think to sign/trade a swingman that can be a spark from the bench with some defense, rebounding and hustle.

We could really use a dynamic, hustling force off the bench, a sub-Josh Howard type. As is, the bench is fairly decrepit and glacial. Awesome basketball minds in Barry, Horry, Finley, and so on, but they're pretty set in what they're able to do at this point in their careers.

I'd love to see a mid-season trade. We need it. Hopefully Williams and Bonner don't rot on the bench for the rest of the year. Neither will give us anything, so if we can't get anything for them, we might as well buy them out and sign up a couple NBDL guys.

Darkwaters
11-16-2006, 05:29 PM
The Spurs should have never let Linton Johnson walk. That guy is everything that you're describing now for the Hornets. I saw him before the Hornets/Bobcats game 2 nights ago and he was drenched in sweat. He works his butt off everytime he hits the floor. It's a shame SA couldn't find a use for him. He is the epitome of a hustle player.

Bruno
11-16-2006, 05:44 PM
The Spurs should have never let Linton Johnson walk.

I've had the same thought just before the start of season while he had great stats in preseason.
:smokin

Mr. Body
11-16-2006, 05:49 PM
The Spurs should have never let Linton Johnson walk. That guy is everything that you're describing now for the Hornets. I saw him before the Hornets/Bobcats game 2 nights ago and he was drenched in sweat. He works his butt off everytime he hits the floor. It's a shame SA couldn't find a use for him. He is the epitome of a hustle player.

Wow, didn't realize he was doing so well. We'd trade White for him straight up in an instant.

Bruno
11-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Wow, didn't realize he was doing so well. We'd trade White for him straight up in an instant.

Linton Johnson can really be available at the trade deadline if hornets aren't in the playoff race.

BTW, a quick list of players that can help us as and can be available for cheap :
Joey Graham
Viktor Khryapa
Ronald Dupree
Bernard Robinson
Allan Anderson
Linton Johnson
Matt Barnes
James Singleton (my favourite one)
Maurice Evans
Jumaine Jones

ChumpDumper
11-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I doubt you'll convince anyone that Barry and Fin are completely gassed for a day after playing 19 minutes. This just isn't big enough a deal to screw up the rotation or give out welfare minutes to guys who aren't ready. As I see it, not much has to be done rosterwise until January, then we can decide whether White and Williams are worth keeping.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Linton Johnson can really be available at the trade deadline if hornets aren't in the playoff race.

BTW, a quick list of players that can help us as and can be available for cheap :
Joey Graham
Viktor Khryapa
Ronald Dupree
Bernard Robinson
Allan Anderson
Linton Johnson
Matt Barnes
Maurice Evans
Jumaine Jones

1 Khryapa
2 Evans
3 Singleton
4 Graham
5 Robinson
6 Jones
7 Johnson

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Although I think we should wait next year for Nocioni.

Bruno
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM
I doubt you'll convince anyone that Barry and Fin are completely gassed for a day after playing 19 minutes.

Defense and hustle at SG/SF come from Manu and Bruce, not Barry and Finley.
If you read my first post, I haven't said that the 5th swingman should be used only for b2b.

This just isn't big enough a deal to screw up the rotation or give out welfare minutes to guys who aren't ready.

I agree that it'ts not a big deal to screw up the rotation and that's why I have give names of players that can be had for Williams or Bonner + picks or draft rights. I'd like to have one of these players as 5th swingman who plays 10 mpg when Spurs looks bad or in certains matchups, nothing more.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Defense and hustle at SG/SF come from Manu and Bruce, not Barry and Finley.
If you read my first post, I haven't said that the 5th swingman should be used only for b2b.Sure, but your theory calls for getting a rotation-worthy player, which is even more difficult given this roster.
I agree that it'ts not a big deal to screw up the rotation and that's why I have give names of players that can be had for Williams or Bonner + picks or draft rights. I'd like to have one of these players as 5th swingman who plays 10 mpg when Spurs looks bad or in certains matchups, nothing more.It's reasonable, but I won't hold my breath. Jones and Singleton are the only ones that strike my fancy, and they're both on playoff teams in our conference.

TDMVPDPOY
11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
you dont see other teams not playin there rookies, wait a minute morrison owned us....now why didnt pop just throw white into the game, see where his at....i say fuck the system if you can afford a few loses.

ChumpDumper
11-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm all for playing lottery picks. The only reason we got those two guys is because their teams thought they wouldn't play.

Mr. Body
11-16-2006, 09:10 PM

Joey Graham
Viktor Khryapa
Ronald Dupree
Bernard Robinson
Allan Anderson
Linton Johnson
Matt Barnes
Maurice Evans
Jumaine Jones

Nice list. Of course the guy with the most potential for the least amount (free) is sitting at the end of the bench. I believe his contract becomes guaranteed in January, so we'll see if we need to think ahead to anything like this.

Of course what we need is a future Bowen replacement, which none of these guys is. That said, I'm all for Pop playing Butler and White some.

Bruno
11-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Of course the guy with the most potential for the least amount (free) is sitting at the end of the bench.

Yes, potential.
White is a prospect that despite his age is still quite raw. It's not sure that he can help a nba team this year, don't forget that it was the reason why Pacers have cut him.
If Spurs' staff thinks that he can become Bowen's sucessor in 2 years they should keep him but I think that Spurs should take too another player to help our old swingmen this year.

Sam
11-17-2006, 09:17 AM
We definitely need to be getting Bonner in the game for 5-7 minutes. He has the big shot and needs to show it. Horry and Finley haven't been consistent so let's get Bonner in there and see what he can do.