PDA

View Full Version : Webber demands trade

nbrans
11-16-2006, 05:11 PM
From the Sacramento Bee:

Frustrated Webber wants out of Philadelphia
By Scott Howard-Cooper - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:52 pm PST Thursday, November 16, 2006
Chris Webber, frustrated by an increasingly reduced role, says he wants to be traded by the Philadelphia 76ers rather than continue as a second-half bit player.

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber said after scoring six points in 23 minutes in Philadelphia's 96-90 victory Wednesday night in Seattle.

Webber said he has talked to 76ers management and made his feelings clear.

"I don't like this role," he said. "So, you can take that however you want."

The former Kings All-Star power forward, traded from Sacramento to Philadelphia in February 2005, is averaging just 30.6 minutes, a drop from the 38.6 in his first season with the 76ers. Spending the entire fourth quarter the bench on a 4-3 team has become common place.

Webber is especially frustrated because he feels he has made great strides in recovering from the knee injury that shadowed the end of his time with the Kings.

He said during training camp, that he was in his best shape since the surgery, only to get off to a very slow start of shooting 37.4 percent the first seven games.

Said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks when asked if Webber is having a tough adjustment: "I'm sure. But this is a team game and we're trying to treat it as such. We're not trying to put a lot of individual things on what we're trying to do. I certainly understand it's hard. It's a difficult situation. But we're trying to do this as a team and not break it down."

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/78321.html

Bob Lanier
11-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Who would possibly want him?

Miami, probably.

nbrans
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Who would possibly want him?

Miami, probably.

I don't see what anybody can do with a player who is 1) no longer good enough to be on the floor in the 4th Quarter for a good team and 2) just demanded a trade because he's not on the floor in the 4th Quarter.

I think that sound you hear is the laughter of 30 GMs. If Philadelphia could have traded Webber at any point during the offseason they would have already done it by now.

dallaskd
11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Who wants that salary...and him...

MrChug
11-16-2006, 05:47 PM
:lmao

This is great.

I'll say it..."Barry for Webber!!" lol

DirkAB
11-16-2006, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't mind having an unmovable contract. I suppose Webber gets the last laugh.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-16-2006, 05:56 PM
You know Zeke's working the phones to make this happen for the Knicks as we speak.

Chris Childs
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Theres no way were getting chris webber. Isiah is not that stupid.

Chris Childs
11-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Who wants that salary...and him...
And then you took my sig without permission.
You should get stucked...............THIEF!!!!

Axl Van Dam
11-16-2006, 06:00 PM
:reading Webber=Choker :reading

Dirk Nowitzki
11-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Cuban pick up the damn phone and make this deal happen! We need more inside scoring! Deal Croshere/Stack/fillers and land his fucker. God imagine how sick this mavs team would be if they had a true inside game!! :hungry:

dallaskd
11-16-2006, 06:16 PM
[QUOTE=Chris Childs]And then you took my sig without permission.
You should get stucked...............THIEF!!!!QUOTE]

Ive had that for a while. I didnt even know you existed.

dirk4mvp
11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Cuban pick up the damn phone and make this deal happen! We need more inside scoring! Deal Croshere/Stack/fillers and land his fucker. God imagine how sick this mavs team would be if they had a true inside game!! :hungry:

Webber has inside game?! He stays at the elbow, feet planted on the ground, and waits for a shot.

island_dude
11-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Dude, sorry to bang on a fellow mavs fan, but please put down the crack pipe. No way is Webber the answer to that issue. :smokin

mavsfan1000
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Webber fucking sucks man. He would be the backup 4 and he would be very unhappy with his role. He would be more of a cancer to this team than help plus his immovable contract.

Dre_7
11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Webber has inside game?! He stays at the elbow, feet planted on the ground, and waits for a shot.

Exactly. He hasnt had an inside game in years.

Bob Lanier
11-16-2006, 07:08 PM
He still has a back-down hook shot that's semi-reliable against weaker post defenders.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM
He still sucks ass. Whoever Phila gets in return is already an upgrade.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Greatest post ever. Make it happen, Mark!

Tee hee.

whottt
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I'd just like to thank you guys for making and bumping this thread all day today... :tu

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-16-2006, 09:29 PM
I'd just like to thank you guys for making and bumping this thread all day today... :tu

:lol

Whottt has a cancer on his fantasy team.

1Parker1
11-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Sixers are a lot better without Webber, hence the win. Webber slows down their offense considerably and his defense down low becomes a liability...especially in close 4th quarter situations.

Billy King needs to be fired. He wasted AI's career by bringing in scrub after scrub for the past 5 years (minus Igodala) and did not know how to build a team around a great star like AI.

whottt
11-16-2006, 09:48 PM
The reason it's so hard for the Sixers to build a team around AI is that no one wants to sit around playing D and rebounding for him while he hogs the ball, jacking up 40 shots per night at a 39% clip.

You will not find a high quality bigman that is going to be willing to play with AI and like that role.

I personally like AI...he's a fantastic player...but it's next to impossible to build a team around a little man that needs to dominate the ball like AI.

1Parker1
11-16-2006, 09:57 PM
The reason it's so hard for the Sixers to build a team around AI is that no one wants to sit around playing D and rebounding for him while he hogs the ball, jacking up 40 shots per night at a 39% clip.

You will not find a high quality bigman that is going to be willing to play with AI and like that role.

I personally like AI...he's a fantastic player...but it's next to impossible to build a team around a little man that needs to dominate the ball like AI.

He averages over 30 points a game on about 45%+ shooting and "jacks up" roughly 20 shots a game to get...not to mention the fact that he averages about 7-8 assists per game, so I don't get why people think he hogs the ball. It's like when people call Kobe a ball-hogger. Have you frickin seen his teammates? Aside from Igodala and Iverson, Sixers are crap. If Duncan was on that team, he'd be jacking up 20+ shots a game also.

dbreiden83080
11-16-2006, 10:11 PM
He is making 20 plus mil at the tailend of that insane contract he got, i can't see anyone wanting him. He is a 20 mil role player at this point in his career.

DirkAB
11-16-2006, 10:58 PM
He averages over 30 points a game on about 45%+ shooting and "jacks up" roughly 20 shots a game to get...not to mention the fact that he averages about 7-8 assists per game, so I don't get why people think he hogs the ball. It's like when people call Kobe a ball-hogger. Have you frickin seen his teammates? Aside from Igodala and Iverson, Sixers are crap. If Duncan was on that team, he'd be jacking up 20+ shots a game also.

You don't get how they call AI or Kobe ballhogs? Have you ever watched them play before? They both dominate the ball like nobody's business, they literally dribble the letters off the ball. BTW, AI averages closer to 25 shots per game than he does 20, and Kobe shot like 28 times per game last year. Twenty fucking eight.

You can't base being a ballhog on assist numbers, because if you have the ball in your hands as much as those two do you better have a bunch of assists, or your team won't have any. Same thing historically with Marbury and Francis, they have averaged plenty of assists but you would never consider them unselfish, because of how they dominate the ball. Paul Pierce is a big time ball stopper too.

And it's not like AI hasn't had some decent players on his team, he just can't play with anybody without them having to play without the ball. I think that Iverson will never change, he's pretty much the definition of a ballhog. And I like Iverson, I just wish he'd learn how to play without the ball.

Horry For 3!
11-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Webber is pretty much done unless he wants to play a small role. I say he has about 2 years at the most left in him.

peskypesky
11-16-2006, 11:56 PM
I've never really understood all the Webber-hating. The guy has put up huge numbers year after year. Last year he averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game!

Now, I haven't seen a lot of his games the past few years, but those seem like pretty nice stats. If he was averaging 10 pts and 5 rebounds, then yeah, you could say he's "not great", but you still couldn't say he sucked, could you? There's a ton of players in the NBA who don't even produce that much.

Can someone explain the hate?

Dirk Nowitzki
11-17-2006, 12:12 AM
I would literally give my left nut if it meant getting Chris Webber for Stack/Croshere/fillers! Imagine the lineup of
Harris,JET,Howard,Dirk,Webber= :worthy: This team would be so fucking awesome but too bad it is a fucking pipe dream :depressed :pctoss

Bob Lanier
11-17-2006, 12:17 AM
C-Webb at center? :lol All the heart and physicality of Shawn Bradley, none of the shotblocking.

Terry-Howard-Nowitzki-Webber-Dampier wouldn't be half-bad, though.

mavsfan1000
11-17-2006, 01:10 AM
C-Webb at center? :lol All the heart and physicality of Shawn Bradley, none of the shotblocking.

Terry-Howard-Nowitzki-Webber-Dampier wouldn't be half-bad, though.
Webber and Dampier=slowest front court in the league. Fuck that.

Dirk Nowitzki
11-17-2006, 02:37 AM
Webber and Dampier=slowest front court in the league. Fuck that.
:blah Dirk/Webber/Dampier=HUGE ELITE frontcourt and imagine the matchup issues we would give people!! :elephant :elephant Man I really wish we could get Webber. :depressed :depressed :madrun

Chris Childs
11-17-2006, 03:59 AM
[QUOTE=Chris Childs]And then you took my sig without permission.
You should get stucked...............THIEF!!!!QUOTE]

Ive had that for a while. I didnt even know you existed.

Yeah you talking alot of crap with that insane post count.
But I know who you are. You're that same kid that posted a pic of yourself with all that acne on your face in the ''Post a picture of your bong'' thread if I remember correctly:
http://myspace-081.vo.llnwd.net/01025/18/09/1025409081_l.jpg
Yeah I was cracking up when I saw that pic. I was like..... DIZZAM!!
Man, If I seen you in person, I would just want to beat the crap out of you for looking that. But given the disfiguration already on your pathetic face, maybe I should just throw you a couple of Proactiv bottles instead you ugly pot smoking brain cell dead acne mofo!!!!

MrChug
11-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Theres no way were getting chris webber. Isiah is not that stupid.

Ummm...I don't know how to tell you this but...

Yes he is. :dizzy

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Even as old and broke down as he might be C-Webb would still be an improvement over just about anybody in the Knicks big man rotation. If he's capable of getting those numbers with AI he would probably be able to replicate them with Marbury. They've got no shortage of big contracts to make the salary match. I'm sure Malik would love to go play in his hometown. It's all a bit of a stretch, but if anyone's willing to pick up that contract it'd be Isiah.

daslicer
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't think Duncan would jackup as many shots on that team if he was in AI's place. They are approach to the game is different. Look at the '01-'02 spurs team, that team to me was by far the worst spurs team during the Duncan Era. You had a rookie Parker, Drob who was about done,Malik,AD, and a bunch of has beens but they still won 58 games. I just think its harder to win with a perimeter player in this league then it is with a dominant bigman ala Duncan,Shaq. If Duncan is on that team they probably win 55-60 games simply because even now he still attracts doubles and tripple teams that woudl free guys like Iguodola,Korver, etc for open shots.I could also see that Dalembert kid compliment him pretty well consindering that he's like a better version of Elson. Aside from that AI is a great talent just thats its harder to build a team around perimeter player then it is a big.

nkdlunch
11-17-2006, 02:33 PM
I've never really understood all the Webber-hating. The guy has put up huge numbers year after year. Last year he averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game!

Now, I haven't seen a lot of his games the past few years, but those seem like pretty nice stats. If he was averaging 10 pts and 5 rebounds, then yeah, you could say he's "not great", but you still couldn't say he sucked, could you?

oh yes we could say he sucks, cause he does. Either due to his injury or his age, or the fact that he doesn't practice, he sucks bigtime compared to what he used to be.

hate? it's unavoidable when you are the most overpayed player in the NBA

bdictjames
11-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Webber to New York for Malik Rose and Jamal Crawford.
Dont forget Stephon

mcornelio
11-17-2006, 02:40 PM
http://static.flickr.com/27/93628583_d301537c0f_m.jpg

NUFF SAID

JamStone
11-17-2006, 03:25 PM
peskypesky,

I think a lot of the hate for C-Webb is that even though he puts up numbers like 20-10 consistently, he always had the talent to be a 28-15 sort of guy. He had the athleticism and skills to dominate even more than he had. And, while he still puts up solid numbers, he doesn't deserve to make the money he's making. To have the second highest salary this season is ridiculous. He makes more than Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, and everyone else in the league not named KG. And, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe he has ever helped lead a team past the second round. I could be wrong, but he's always been great enough to make a team very good, but never great enough to make a team great. That's his knock. That's something players like Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill and others have to deal with when they have the immense talent they have.

As for Chris Webber playing center, I don't think that's a big deal at all in today's NBA. Especially since he's not as athletic, he might be a better fit to be a center. Other than Shaq, Yao, and Dwight Howard, who does he have to worry about not being big and strong enough for? He doesn't run up and down the court as well, so center is probably a more ideal position for him anyway. He still has some of the biggest hands in the game and will get his share of rebounds. He can still provide 15-20 points a game. CWebb at center doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

The team he might make the most sense for is Houston. He gives them more size at the power forward position. Not hard when a team is starting 6-6 Chuck Hayes at the four. And, he is more perimeter oriented now anyway, which is a nice complement to Yao. Teams will still have to respect his perimeter game and Yao won't be doubled as much.

Juwan Howard, Rafer Alston, Bobby Sura's contract, Dikembe Mutombo's contract, Scott Padgett and a first round draft pick might work. Philadelphia would not be getting much back except a first round pick, but they might be willing to deal Webber just to get rid of him for a few smaller and more manageable and moveable contracts.

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Webber is fucking retarded.

He's gotta realize that he's old, washed up, and can't jump at all with his knee. His years are way past, he is no longer a star. He doesn't need to be on the floor all the time. Shit happens. That's his fault for choosing professional basketball as his life, because once you get older, you're useless.

Webber isn't as good as he thinks he is, and no matter where he goes, they will find out also. In the style that Philly plays, dudes that can jump higher fit in a lot better than big stiffs who can't jump. He doesn't like his role, so what, you can't always pick your role.

leemajors
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
peskypesky,

I think a lot of the hate for C-Webb is that even though he puts up numbers like 20-10 consistently, he always had the talent to be a 28-15 sort of guy. He had the athleticism and skills to dominate even more than he had. And, while he still puts up solid numbers, he doesn't deserve to make the money he's making. To have the second highest salary this season is ridiculous. He makes more than Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Iverson, and everyone else in the league not named KG. And, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe he has ever helped lead a team past the second round. I could be wrong, but he's always been great enough to make a team very good, but never great enough to make a team great. That's his knock. That's something players like Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady and Grant Hill and others have to deal with when they have the immense talent they have.

As for Chris Webber playing center, I don't think that's a big deal at all in today's NBA. Especially since he's not as athletic, he might be a better fit to be a center. Other than Shaq, Yao, and Dwight Howard, who does he have to worry about not being big and strong enough for? He doesn't run up and down the court as well, so center is probably a more ideal position for him anyway. He still has some of the biggest hands in the game and will get his share of rebounds. He can still provide 15-20 points a game. CWebb at center doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

The team he might make the most sense for is Houston. He gives them more size at the power forward position. Not hard when a team is starting 6-6 Chuck Hayes at the four. And, he is more perimeter oriented now anyway, which is a nice complement to Yao. Teams will still have to respect his perimeter game and Yao won't be doubled as much.

Juwan Howard, Rafer Alston, Bobby Sura's contract, Dikembe Mutombo's contract, Scott Padgett and a first round draft pick might work. Philadelphia would not be getting much back except a first round pick, but they might be willing to deal Webber just to get rid of him for a few smaller and more manageable and moveable contracts.

i think he was a big part of the kings team that played the lakers in the 2001 WCF.

Taco
11-17-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.mppa.org/mppa/1993/jpegs/spt-acthm3.jpeg

ALVAREZ6
11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I really can't believe how blind this dude is.

Dirk Nowitzki
11-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Webber is fucking retarded.

He's gotta realize that he's old, washed up, and can't jump at all with his knee. His years are way past, he is no longer a star. He doesn't need to be on the floor all the time. Shit happens. That's his fault for choosing professional basketball as his life, because once you get older, you're useless.

Webber isn't as good as he thinks he is, and no matter where he goes, they will find out also. In the style that Philly plays, dudes that can jump higher fit in a lot better than big stiffs who can't jump. He doesn't like his role, so what, you can't always pick your role.

Then you better pray that the Mavs dont get him. Webber on the Mavs=scariest team in the league. If only we could deal Stack/Croshere/fillers! :drunk :drunk Imagine Webber in the post and Dirk open on the baseline. Man this shit gets me excited but it is too good to be true on Webber being in a Mav uni!! :depressed

mavsfan1000
11-17-2006, 06:59 PM
:blah Dirk/Webber/Dampier=HUGE ELITE frontcourt and imagine the matchup issues we would give people!! :elephant :elephant Man I really wish we could get Webber. :depressed :depressed :madrun
All I can say is you don't understand basketball at all. Dirk causes more matchup problems at the 4 than the 3 and Webber is too slow to guard 4's at this point in his career. Dallas will have a problem getting back on defense with this lineup. Especially against Phoenix.