PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith Writes....

E20
09-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpYTg2ZTBwBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=knight-stephenasmithevenafterall&prov=knight&type=lgns)

Even after all these years, no one compares to Mr. Air

By Stephen A. Smith, Inquirer Columnist

He once leaped 10-foot rims in a single bound. He stole minds, games and hearts with such regularity that "NBA parity" became an oxymoron. Six league championships. Virtually unparalleled status as the greatest to have ever played hoops. And still, the world just can't seem to get enough of Michael Jordan.

Sadly, it's easy to see why.

We don't know whether champions are created or developed. All we know is that, whenever they arrive, we hope they won't leave us until someone else arrives in their place.

It's 2004, and we're still waiting. So that should explain all the hoopla concerning the latest supposed return of His Airness.

Contrary to what many desire, Michael Jordan is not returning to the NBA, something that was known long before he told ESPN on Thursday. He isn't coming back to play for Pat Riley, the Miami Heat or anyone else in the sport he dominated for a decade.

"I'm not going near another workout," Jordan told Michael Wilbon, just minutes before Wilbon and I cohosted Pardon the Interruption weeks ago. "Every time I go near a court, somebody throws out that rumor. I don't get it. I'm done. I'm staying on the golf course."

Jordan may be telling the truth. After all, he's about to head off to an island vacation, which is something he never did right before training camp during his illustrious career. But, evidently, he doesn't have a clue about what is going on or the reasons for the public's fascination with him these days.

The NBA, despite its adroit marketing skills, can only do so much. Especially when it has so little to work with.

Kobe Bryant has three championships. So does Shaquille O'Neal. LeBron James has superstar written all over him, and Allen Iverson, Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan are nothing to sneeze at, either. The fact is, though, despite their stellar resumes and individual greatness, none of them possesses the package Jordan presented for years.

Bryant is obviously the closest, but his once-pristine image was definitely hurt by the sexual assault charges he faced, even though the charges were dropped. The tumultuous relationship that led to the departure of the 7-foot-1, 350-pound O'Neal will always be a part of his legacy, despite his efforts to the contrary.

O'Neal is dominant and on a mission, but as long as he can't hit free throws, the belief is he'll always need tremendous assistance to gather another string of championships.

Garnett doesn't have a title yet. Neither does Jason Kidd. James might not capture one for another decade in Cleveland - assuming he elects to stay there - and Duncan, as great as he is, is just too boring and lacking in charisma for anyone outside of San Antonio to care.

Boring - when has that stigma ever been attached to Jordan?

Before he was winning titles, he was winning slam-dunk contests and leading the league in scoring. Right around the time he was en route to capturing his first championship, he was garnering attention for making the all-NBA defensive first team.

After becoming a champion, there were rumors about excessive gambling. Then came his father's murder, his first retirement, a second three-peat championship run, another retirement, a presidency with the Washington Wizards, a final retirement, and one of the most unceremonious ousters from a franchise we've seen in some time, courtesy of Wizards owner Abe Pollin.

Suspense, challenges and adversity always followed him. And we never got enough of it because he repeatedly stepped up to the challenge. We're resigned to paying today's champions less and less attention, because they all have paled in comparison to a standard Jordan set.

Somehow, despite his penchant for elevation, he would have hit a jump shot during the Athens Olympics.

Somehow, you get the feeling he would not have alienated O'Neal and coach Phil Jackson or quietly orchestrated their departure so he could have Hollywood to himself.

Somehow, the promise of championships, parades and all the acclaim that comes with them would have trumped all the egos, and the once mighty Lakers would have remained intact.

If Jordan's ability to instill heart in Scottie Pippen and to keep the theatrics of Dennis Rodman to a minimum - all while being grossly underpaid - doesn't prove as much, nothing will.

It is MJ we're talking about here.

The player who left us in awe. The man who fascinated us. The executive who disappointed us. The Hall of Famer who never cheated us.

Still wondering why we can't stop wishing for his return? Shame on you who choose to wonder at all.

LandSharkII
09-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Stephen A. Smith can....

http://www.teddystees.com/BITE%20ME1.jpg

KoriEllis
09-26-2004, 03:27 AM
Stephen A. Smith hates San Antonio. Expect him to bash all Spurs players every chance he gets. Don't expect anything else. He's just a loud-mouth puppet who's purpose in life in shock value.

Admiral
09-26-2004, 03:45 AM
"I'm not going near another workout," Jordan told Michael Wilbon, just minutes before Wilbon and I cohosted Pardon the Interruption weeks ago. "Every time I go near a court, somebody throws out that rumor. I don't get it. I'm done. I'm staying on the golf course."

:cry

Give us a break, Michael, and quit acting like such a baby.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?!? What does he expect?

T Park Num 9
09-26-2004, 04:20 AM
its touhg being Jordan im so sure.

Slomo15
09-26-2004, 05:24 AM
Just curious. Why does he hates SA? (if he has a reason, since he often writes stuff without arguments)

SickDSM
09-26-2004, 11:35 AM
What Stephan A Smith said in that article is hardly dissing SA. That's the sentiment the rest of the country share.

DuffMcCartney
09-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Stephen A Smith is hilarious.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Duncan should punch a teammate.

Preferably when he's lying down.

Das Texan
09-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Stephen A Smith can rot in hell.

As a journalist for the Philly paper one can understand his being a biased prick.

As an ESPN basketball personality, his biases are fucking riduclious.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Sick,

Come on, the only thing exciting about Minny is when KG decks his teammates.

You want boring try Minnesota basketball in June, because they're never playing.

:moon

ShoogarBear
09-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Maybe if TD punched some teammates and called the opposition "bitches" and "Mofuckers" he'd be exciting and classy like KG.

KoriEllis
09-27-2004, 03:20 AM
Who's the real K.G.?

Trent Tucker confirmed what the Timberwolves haven't about Kevin Garnett punching recruit Rick Rickert. Tucker was on KFAN's "P.A. & Dubay Show" discussing how he works out with Rick to enhance his chance of making the team. When asked about the skirmish, Tucker said: It shouldn't have happened and both sides have moved on. Basketball insiders and outsiders agree that K.G. cannot have any more of these punching episodes if the team plans to continue burnishing his image as some kind of ambassador to the NBA. The Rickert punching, repairs for which reportedly required stitches, is officially the MVP's second attack on a teammate. K.G. has previously punched Wally Szczerbiak, reportedly while he was in a prone position. Those who buy into K.G.'s good-guy image have to wonder why he has a tendency to act like an insecure bully when there are no TV cameras around. The answer is obvious: K.G.'s image portrays something he's not. Some are dedicated into building him into someone who couldn't possibly need anger management. A Timberwolves spokesman has not responded to such questions.

www.startribune.com/stori...99670.html (http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4999670.html)

Honest question to SickDSM... I know that you like KG alot. But can you, as a Wolves fan, just excuse/look away from the fact that he's punched players twice now? Do you think he has a problem? Just can't hold his temper? Can't handle being shown up? Or he's just still immature?

Brodels
09-27-2004, 09:28 AM
Garnett simply can't handle certain situations. It's probably why he hasn't had much success in the NBA. He's won an MVP, but he never really made his team better and he never took his team to a higher level.

You wonder if his instability is directly related to his failures.

If he doesn't start elevating his team and his game when it counts, he's going to go down as the Alex English of today. A very good player, but not one of the greats.

TacoBeer
09-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Once again class.

What does the A in Stephen A Smith stand for?

ASS!!!