PDA

View Full Version : another question about James White

KEDA
11-17-2006, 07:14 AM
is there a minimum amount of games you have to participate in to be eligible for the slam dunk contest.

its a virtual lock if he gets to go.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Will he be able to play a good amount of minutes next year if Bruce continues to age?

That is the one I'm concerend about

Notorious H.O.P.
11-17-2006, 09:09 AM
That's not the question he asked. His question has a high likelyhood of having a definite answer, your question is theoretical. I certainly hope JW has a future on our team but in the end, it is a coinflip. He also isn't he long SF we've been looking for but if Bruce can do what he does at his height, hopefully JW can too.

But I want the answer to KEDA's question.

Sam
11-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Will he be able to play a good amount of minutes next year if Bruce continues to age?

That is the one I'm concerend about

He may be the defensive stopper if he can stay focused. However he will be a major liability on offense and handling the ball. Big problem he had at Cincy was losing the ball on drives.

spurtime
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I talked to some people who follow Cincy basketball and they seem to think we'll be disappointed with him. They complained that he never rose to his potential and that he was frustrating to watch on the offensive end of the floor.

ducks
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
bowen replacement does not need to score alot

spurtime
11-17-2006, 09:45 AM
bowen replacement does not need to score alot

I agree...I think Cincy fans expected him to carry some of the load offensively so their expectations were different. Unfortunately, I think there are some Spurs fans that may have unrealistic expectations about him.

ducks
11-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I bet alot of net fans felt the same way about stephen jackson before he become a spur

boutons_
11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
How many dunks does it take to win an NBA Title?

Some Spurs fans seems to be so desperate for an athletic Spur. There are tons of supremely athletic NBAers. How many are winners?

Bruce Bowen's greatest attribute is not his (limited) athleticism but his work ethic and dedication to the function that allows him to even be in the NBA, to start on a top team, and overcome is lack of scoring, rebounding, playmaking.

JW might pan out, but it would probably take years, not 2 months. Apart from the very special case of Pop with Tony, the Popovich Spurs don't have much a record of turning raw talent into contributing Spurs.

spurtime
11-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I bet alot of net fans felt the same way about stephen jackson before he become a spur

If you're suggesting that White will similarly confound the critics then I hope you're right.

The big difference between the two, though, is that Jackson showed he could play in this league when he averaged 8 ppg in about 20 mins/game his rookie season. Nets fans were more hard pressed to doubt Jax's ability than a Cincy fan would be to doubt White's ability to play at the NBA level since he never has proven that he can.

Mr. Body
11-17-2006, 10:47 AM
It's not a good sign that he's a Cincinnati player, which produces some of the most boneheaded basketball players. Not only that, he was there during the Bob Huggins ordeal, so had even less basketball instruction than normal. It's highly unlikely he develops into a player.

El_Mago
11-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Mr. Body, your statement is what makes me believe that James can turn around.

I agree with you when you state that he was in Cincy during the ordeal and was more than likely under-instructed by Higgins.

However, coach Pop and his staff have been known to be great teachers of the game and have proven to develop players, so things could easily change for White.

Steven Jackson didn't have the defense, nor the athletic skills of White, and he bounced around the basketball world and finally developed in SA under Pop and the staff.

James might not have the shot Jackson has, but White does have some things Steven did not, and Pop and the staff will bring that out in White....especially since his development in Cincy and under Higgins was not grade A.

I have not given up on White....if anything I am pumped.

Has anyone seen a better dunk in their lifetime: James White doing an inbetween the leg slam dunk from the free throw line! Amazing

Ocotillo
11-17-2006, 11:19 AM
However he will be a major liability on offense and handling the ball. Big problem he had at Cincy was losing the ball on drives.

I used to cringe everytime Bruce put the ball on the floor and drove to the hoop. He has gotten better but nobody is going to confuse him with Scottie Pippen.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-17-2006, 11:49 AM
I honestly don't understand the Spurs' reluctance to use the NBDL, it seems that White, Butler, Mahinimi, and Sandizikide would be better suited getting some burn there then sitting on the benches of their respective clubs.

The Truth #6
11-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I think looking for someone to somehow walk in and do all the things that Bowen does is a limited way to assess talent.

What if we found a new SF who was only average on perimeter defense but was an incredible rebounder? Or an incredible distributor? As long as Bowen's replacement has some noticeable form of talent then I'll be cool with it. But to pine for a Bowen copycat seems shortsighted and a dissapointment waiting to happen.

jman3000
lmao @ nobody answering the mans question.

Kori Ellis
Bump in case KEDA doesn't realize he already started this thread.

If someone knows the answer, they will answer him here.

KEDA
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Are you an idiot?
You already started this thread.

nope

but I would like an answer

not too hard of a task I think

nkdlunch
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Are you an idiot?
You already started this thread.

:lmao

Kori Ellis
11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
nope

but I would like an answer

not too hard of a task I think

Well if someone knows the answer they'll answer you. If it's not that hard of a task, then find it yourself.

KEDA
11-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Well if someone knows the answer they'll answer you. If it's not that hard of a task, then find it yourself.

I tried, but to no avail.

so I came to the best source available.

and it went to hijack city in a matter of minutes, so I thought it was necessary to repeat myself.

sorry

Kori Ellis
11-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I tried, but to no avail.

so I came to the best source available.

and it went to hijack city in a matter of minutes, so I thought it was necessary to repeat myself.

sorry

Umm discussing James White isn't exactly a hijack. And the title of your thread didn't change, so if someone knows, they would answer you. Starting another thread when yours is four threads down is idiotic.

Sorry.

timvp
11-17-2006, 03:12 PM
is there a minimum amount of games you have to participate in to be eligible for the slam dunk contest.

its a virtual lock if he gets to go.

There is no official amount of games a player has to play to become eligible for the dunk contest. As long as James White is on the Spurs' roster come the All-Star break, he'll be invited.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-17-2006, 03:14 PM
From the CBA (not sure if it's the latest, but it from the NBAPA page), but as far as I can tell, there's no specific requirements listed for participation in the Skills competitions.

http://www.nbpa.com/downloads/CBA.pdf

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Here we go.

ARTICLE XXI: NBA ALL-STAR GAME

INDEX
Section 1. Participation
Section 2. Awards
Section 3. Player Guests
Section 4. Players Not Participating in All-Star Activities
Section 5. All-Star Skills Competitions

Section 1. Participation.
(a) Any player selected (by any method designated by the NBA) to play in an All-Star Game shall be required to:

(i) attend and participate in such Game;

(ii) attend and participate in one (1) All-Star Skills Competition (but not including the Slam Dunk Competition) that is conducted during the All-Star Weekend on which such Game is held; and

(iii) attend and participate in every other event conducted in association with such All-Star Weekend, including, but not limited to, a reasonable number of media sessions, television appearances, and promotional appearances.

(b) Any player selected (by any method designated by the NBA) to play in a Rookie-Sophomore Game shall be required to:

(i) attend and participate in such Game;

(ii) attend and participate in any All-Star Skills Competition designated by the NBA that is conducted during the All-Star Weekend on which such Game is held; and

(iii) attend and participate in every other event conducted in association with such All-Star Weekend, including, but not limited to, a reasonable number of media sessions, television appearances, and promotional appearances.

(c) Any player who, at the request of the NBA, voluntarily agrees to participate in an All-Star Skills Competition shall be required to attend and participate in such Skills Competition.

(d) Nothing in this Article XXI shall preclude a player who is an officer or a representative of the Players Association from attending the Players Association’s annual meeting during All-Star Weekend or preclude any player from attending the Players Association’s All-Star party.

(e) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Section 1(a), (b) or (c) above, a player will not be required to participate in a particular All-Star Game, Rookie-Sophomore Game, or All-Star Skills Competition if he has been excused from participation in the particular event by the Commissioner because (i) he has an injury or illness that renders him physically unable to participate in such Game or Skills Competition, or (ii) for such other reason as the Commissioner may determine in his sole discretion. If the player asserts that he should be excused from participation in a particular All-Star game or event under Section 1(e)(i) above, the Commissioner shall be authorized to require the player to submit to a medical examination to be performed by a physician designated by the NBA, and the determination of whether the player has satisfied Section 1(e)(i) shall be made by such physician in his sole discretion. In the event that a player is excused from participation in an All-Star game or event under Section 1(e)(i) above, he shall thereafter remain on his Team’s Inactive List until he is cleared to return to the Active List by the NBA.

Section 2. Awards.
(a) For their participation in an All-Star Game, players on the winning team shall each receive $35,000 and players on the losing team shall each receive $15,000.

(b) For their participation in a Rookie-Sophomore Game, players on the winning team shall each receive $15,000 and players on the losing team shall each receive $5,000.

(c) For their participation in an All-Star Skills Competition, players shall receive the following amounts:

Slam Dunk

Three-Point Shootout

1st Place: $35,000

2nd Place: $22,500

3rd Place: $16,125

3rd Place: $15,000

4th Place: $16,125

4th Place: $4,500

5th Place: $4,500

6th Place: $4,500

Skills

Shooting Stars

Winning Team: $45,000

2nd Place Team: $33,750

3rd Place: $9,000

3rd Place Team: $16,875

4th Place: $9,000

4th Place Team: $16,875

Section 3. Player Guests.
Each player who participates in the All-Star Game, Rookie-Sophomore Game, or any All-Star Skills Competition may invite two (2) guests, who shall be reimbursed for the cost of round-trip first-class air transportation between the home city of the Team by which such player is employed and the site of the All-Star Game, Rookie-Sophomore Game or All-Star Skills Competition.

Section 4. Players Not Participating in All-Star Activities.
Players who do not attend or participate in the All-Star Game, Rookie-Sophomore Game, or an All-Star Skills Competition shall have three (3) days off during the All-Star Weekend break.

Section 5. All-Star Skills Competitions.
The All-Star Skills Competitions that take place during any All-Star Weekend shall be selected by the NBA; provided, however, that before adding any new event to the All-Star Skills Competitions that take place during any All-Star Weekend (i.e., an event different from any conducted by the NBA during any All-Star Weekend held prior to the 2005-06 Season), the NBA shall obtain the consent of the Players Association, which consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXI.php

ChumpDumper
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I honestly don't understand the Spurs' reluctance to use the NBDL, it seems that White, Butler, Mahinimi, and Sandizikide would be better suited getting some burn there then sitting on the benches of their respective clubs.Butler has been in the league two seasons and can't be sent down.

As for Ian and Viktor, I think the Spurs' line of reasoning has something to do with the fact that they have a much better idea of how those players are to be used in Europe since their rosters are set at around the same time NBA rosters are if not sooner. D-League training camp has just started and we just got an idea of where our players might fit like a week ago. That's what has given me some encouragement that White could be sent down -- the Toros really seem to be lacking in quality swingmen. Last season that was definitely not the case, and this season the Toros are pretty loaded up front. Three solid guys are coming back, though Ian or Viktor would probably be able to find some good minutes if they respond to DJ's coaching.

Mr. Body
11-17-2006, 03:27 PM
The Spurs would have to start paying Sanikidze for him to go to the NBDL and Mahinmi's base rookie contract would start up for him to play in the NBDL, correct? They would also need roster spots on the Spurs.

Butler, as said, is not an option, though he did have some good years in minor league-type ball. I'd like to see James White move down. Maybe the staff want him to absorb more of the professional mentality of the team. Also, for all intents and purposes, as he was signed Nov. 2 or so, he hasn't even been through the time equivalent of a month of training camp.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2006, 03:35 PM
The Spurs would have to start paying Sanikidze for him to go to the NBDL and Mahinmi's base rookie contract would start up for him to play in the NBDL, correct? They would also need roster spots on the Spurs.Correct.
I'd like to see James White move down. Maybe the staff want him to absorb more of the professional mentality of the team. Also, for all intents and purposes, as he was signed Nov. 2 or so, he hasn't even been through the time equivalent of a month of training camp.Absolutely. I have written that I think the Toros' homestand around Christmas would be a good time to send White down to see him actually play some games. He will have had a good six weeks with the Spurs to pick up as much as he can, and he would be be evaluated before his contract becomes guaranteed.

Kori Ellis
11-17-2006, 03:36 PM
The Spurs would have to start paying Sanikidze for him to go to the NBDL and Mahinmi's base rookie contract would start up for him to play in the NBDL, correct? They would also need roster spots on the Spurs.

Correct.

That's one rule I wish they would change. I wish you could send two guys down PLUS have 15 guys on your real roster.

ChumpDumper
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Correct.

That's one rule I wish they would change. I wish you could send two guys down PLUS have 15 guys on your real roster.I suppose that might change if more NBA teams actually get their own farm teams like the Lakers did. If they really wanted to work the system, they could have a de facto 24-man roster and be able to send up or down players at their leisure.

I also guess if more teams choose to assign players to the D-League for the entire season, that may also have an effect on the roster rules. I think currently the most egregious rule is having to waive a D-League player if NBA teams assign too many of their players to your team. These guys don't make shit as it is, and having them miss some checks just because an NBA team wanted to check out their rookie is just wrong.

CavsSuperFan
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Quote:Are you an idiot? You already started this thread...
Bwaaaaaaaaaaa......... :lol

Sam
11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Can't you only send first and second year players down to D-League?

dg7md
11-17-2006, 05:12 PM
I just think it'd be a breath of fresh air to have a Spur in the dunk contest, and James White would fit that bill perfectly.

Just some media attention once in a while would be nice!

BIG IRISH
11-18-2006, 05:07 AM
It's not a good sign that he's a Cincinnati player, which produces some of the most boneheaded basketball players. Not only that, he was there during the Bob Huggins ordeal, so had even less basketball instruction than normal. It's highly unlikely he develops into a player.

Mr. Body, your statement is what makes me believe that James can turn around.

I agree with you when you state that he was in Cincy during the ordeal and was more than likely under-instructed by Higgins.
However, coach Pop and his staff have been known to be great teachers of the game and have proven to develop players, so things could easily change for White.

Steven Jackson didn't have the defense, nor the athletic skills of White, and he bounced around the basketball world and finally developed in SA under Pop and the staff.

James might not have the shot Jackson has, but White does have some things Steven did not, and Pop and the staff will bring that out in White....especially since his development in Cincy and under Higgins was not grade A.

I have not given up on White....if anything I am pumped.

Has anyone seen a better dunk in their lifetime: James White doing an inbetween the leg slam dunk from the free throw line! Amazing

1st I also have high hopes for White.

I take exception and would like to point out that White is anything but under-instructed, although it was not grade A.

Huggins earned the Ray Meyer Award as the Conference USA Coach of the Year a record three times (1997-98, 1998-99, and 1999-2000), and was a unanimous choice for C-USA Coach of the Decade. He was selected national coach of the year by ESPN.com in 2001-02.

Huggins, job, was to produce a winner, he did so on rather constant basis. with a lot of head-cases, people that did not graduate, had off-court problems, etc. compare Huggins to Jerry Tarkanian's successful, yet controversial at UNLV, and I'm sure Huggins will do well at K State

I think Pop and the Spurs can do for White what they did for SJ, however The question remains do they have the time? It appears Holt, let loose with the $ :clap

duncan2k5
11-18-2006, 10:44 AM
i think he has to play SOME minutes, and at least dunk once to be in the dunk contest. im basing this on every dunk contest in NBA history. i may be wrong tho

SequSpur
11-18-2006, 01:40 PM
White > Bonner

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
if other teams can play their rookies, i see no reason why we cant afford to......at best white can be better than IGUODOLA

ChumpDumper
11-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Teams that suck and/or got lottery picks are playing their rookies.

Are we either of those?

polandprzem
11-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Teams that suck and/or got lottery picks are playing their rookies.

Are we either of those?

Are you talking about Atlanta or San Antonio?

dimsah
11-18-2006, 03:42 PM
If Melvin Sanders was getting a few scrub minutes last season, then I see no reason why either Butler or White can't.

One luxury though is the fact that Oberto and Elson are playing better than we expected so there is no reason to rush Butler along.

ChumpDumper
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Melvin got mintues because of injuries.

If you are wishing our vets to be injured, well ok.

If you are saying you want White to play in 16 games and not play in the playoffs and not come back next season, ok to that too.

It's November, give the guy a chance to learn a play or two.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2006, 05:52 PM
pop wasting talent on the bench.....i dont want to see that shit he pulled on beno last season playin some veteran ahead of him.....white has alot of potential to succeed with his god given talents

ChumpDumper
11-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Beno benched himself by not taking care of the ball.

This guy got beat out by Rawle Marshall, people. Catch a clue. He needs time.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2006, 06:41 PM
is he that bad that he cant even be our mascot? :(

ChumpDumper
11-18-2006, 06:42 PM
No, but he can't get of the IR for awhile.

Mr. Body
11-19-2006, 01:59 AM
James White hasn't been through the time equivalent of a Spurs' training camp yet. Give it time.