ducks
11-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Golden State 117, Sacramento 105

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
November 17, 2006

AP - Nov 17, 1:31 am EST
More Photos

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The Sacramento Kings discovered it's awfully tough to keep up with Baron Davis these days -- and it's near impossible when he gets a big head start.

Davis had 36 points, a career-high 18 assists and eight rebounds during another sensational performance that led the Golden State Warriors to their fourth straight victory, 117-105 over the Kings on Thursday night.

Two days after dominating the fourth quarter in a win over Toronto, the Warriors' oft-criticized guard was on his revamped game from the opening tip. He had 11 assists in the first quarter, falling just shy of the single-quarter franchise record while staking Golden State to a lead it never relinquished in the fourth game of a seven-game homestand.

Davis has at least 20 points and nine assists in each of the Warriors' four home victories. With an adoring home crowd already chanting "M-V-P," he became the first Warriors player to get at least 30 points and 15 assists in the same game since Tim Hardaway did it in Phoenix on March 12, 1995.

"That's one of the best games I've ever seen anyone play," said Kevin Martin, who led the Kings with 26 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

But don't ask Davis to crow about his outstanding start. He's searching for the team success that will validate his skills.

"The thing I was most proud about is we carried our lead all the way through the game," Davis said. "We matched them the way we needed to. I was thinking before the game that as a unit, we were going to have to keep them under 45 percent shooting."

Mickael Pietrus added 26 points for the Warriors, who followed up a 40-point first quarter by making more than 57 percent of their shots in this Northern California rivalry game.

Davis surpassed his previous career high of 17 assists by setting up Jason Richardson's 3-pointer with 3:24 to play, ending Sacramento's last hope of a rally in its fifth loss in seven trips to Oakland. Richardson finished with 16 points, and Monta Ellis had 17.

"He's been carrying us all season," Ellis said of Davis. "He's been great the last two games, and I hope he keeps it up. He put it all out there tonight. That's how you step up and be a leader."

Ron Artest had 20 points and 12 rebounds for the Kings, whose four-game winning streak was snapped by 1-for-17 shooting on 3-pointers. Sacramento never caught up to the Warriors and their exceptional shooting percentage, dropping to 1-3 on the road.

"They put us on our heels in that first quarter, and it was kind of hard to get back," Artest said. "We have 22 back-to-back (games), so we need to make sure we improve. I probably should have guarded Baron from the beginning, but it's a team effort."

AP - Nov 17, 12:40 am EST
More Photos

The Warriors remained unbeaten in five home games since a season-opening loss to the Lakers, and Davis factored in almost every good thing that happened to them. He played more than 45 minutes and handled the ball on nearly every possession, either as the point guard or a playmaking wing.

After leading Golden State to an 18-6 lead just 4 1/2 minutes in, Davis either set up or scored the Warriors' final nine field goals of that 40-point first quarter -- their first since April 9, 2000, against Denver.

"He is definitely our most dominant player right now, and we'll ride him as long as we can," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "I don't like him being out there so long, but it's a good sign to see that he's handling it, so far."

Golden State's Andris Biedrins had nine points and a career-high 16 rebounds while filling in for Troy Murphy, who missed his second straight game with soreness in his left heel.

Mike Bibby had 13 points and seven assists for the Kings, who finished up a perfect four-game homestand with a win over Memphis on Wednesday night before busing to their hotel in San Francisco.

The clubs split their four meetings last season. Sacramento fans usually fill the upper reaches of Oracle Arena for the Kings' road games in the Bay Area, but large sections were conspicuously empty.

Notes

Davis fell one short of John Lucas' 1978 franchise record for assists in a quarter. The Warriors had 15 total assists in the quarter, tying the franchise record. ... Kings G John Salmons sat out with a bruised right quadriceps. ... Kings G Jason Hart played for the first time this season, scoring nine points before fouling out while trying to guard Davis.