PDA

View Full Version : Jack McCallum's new book on the Suns

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-17-2006, 09:17 PM
I've been reading Henry Abbott's (TrueHoop.com) notes about the book and I am so intrigued, I'm going to buy it tomorrow.

http://www.truehoop.com/basketball-books-53947-seven-seconds-or-less-in-about-20-minutes.html

Some of my favorite highlights. Click the link for the rest.

----

p38 D'Antoni plays video games in the players' lounge

p51 vibe from teammates that Amare is apathetic

p60 interesting: Marion doesn't want to switch off Odom when picked--if Odom scores big, Marion gets media blame

p74 scouting report on Eddie House: "won't shoot unless he has it in his hands"

p90 D'Antoni says they may have "loused up our offense" with Thomas (Blaze note: Tim Thomas)

p100 Mike D'Antoni, staunch democrat, listens repeatedly to this Pink song. When he hears that Kwame Brown is being investigated for sexual assault says "was the assault on Boris Diaw?"

p110 Diaw: "I do not date American women. I have them."

p118 Barbosa got his nut tangled in this sack, Iavaroni says "that's some third world shit right there"

p122 D'Antoni's worst nightmare is that a certain unnamed ref will show up for game six against the Lakers--lucky him they spot the guy in the restaurant (FWIW that game was reffed by Ron Garretson , Greg Willard , and Leon Wood)

p128 Gentry calls Olowokandi a "pussy," someone from the league indicates they agree, then Gentry hides from Kandi

p129 story: in Miami years ago player Ladell Eackles stood up and wrote "No Your Roll" on the locker room board, Glen Rice replied "sit down dumbass"

p176 breakdown of who on the team eats what--and report that there's much farting on this team

p183 it's hard for Steve Nash to pee

p189 Amare's lame rehab work ethic

p190 Jason Collins is dirty

p194 D'Antoni shuts Amare down

p198 trainer Aaron Nelson is called "No Game" after he "came up empty" at a Vegas bachelor party with Charles Barkley. I can only guess what that means.

p221 Nash has a shirt that says Good Bush/Bad Bush with pictures of a woman's lower abdomen and the president

p221 dress code either racist or at least racial

p222 Penny Marshall squabbles with Robert Sarver

p224 classy: Raja to Jerry Colangelo after big win: "Thanks for bringing me here."

p265 Suns offense is, essentially, whoever Keith Van Horn guards gets to embarrass him, and it works (might have something to do with KVH being out of the league)

p265 great meat and potatoes coaching analysis (wish I could watch every game with this level of knowledge)

p269 Alvin Gentry gets in trouble with the cops for being black

----------------

Sam
11-17-2006, 09:21 PM
LOL sounds great. ;-)

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-17-2006, 09:26 PM
LOL sounds great. ;-)

Check out some of the other posts from today on Abbott's blog, he talked at length with McCallum and there's some more good insight into the book.

Apparently, it didn't get the best reviews from the Suns, who gave McCallum unprecedented access to the team.