PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry's comments regarding Beno

Solid D
11-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Fox Sports Southwest interviewed Brent Barry after the Chicago win. He was asked about the play of Beno Udrih, to which he replied:

"Beno does such a unique job, as a left-handed Point Guard. He has such an innate ability to find guys. He uses his penetration really to set up a lot of things. It's a stark contrast to the way that Tony plays but it's nice to have both guys to compliment the team. If you fill the floor with shooters around Beno and he's going to find guys. Sometimes it's not the pass that makes the shot. It might be the pass before the pass, and Beno understands that and I think really so far this season he's been really solid for us coming off the bench."

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2006, 02:41 AM
beno gets the fuckn respect he deserves, but TURNOVERS looms......

milkyway21
11-18-2006, 02:46 AM
i think Solid D's medication of Beno worked...:lol

MannyIsGod
11-18-2006, 02:55 AM
I have a feeling Brent Barry will one day make a fine coach. He's extremely intelligent and he understands the game very very well.

angel_luv
11-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Fox Sports Southwest interviewed Brent Barry after the Chicago win. He was asked about the play of Beno Udrih, to which he replied:

"Beno does such a unique job, as a left-handed Point Guard. He has such an innate ability to find guys. He uses his penetration really to set up a lot of things. It's a stark contrast to the way that Tony plays but it's nice to have both guys to compliment the team. If you fill the floor with shooters around Beno and he's going to find guys. Sometimes it's not the pass that makes the shot. It might be the pass before the pass, and Beno understands that and I think really so far this season he's been really solid for us coming off the bench."

High praise. I think Beno deserves it too.

Well said, Brent. :)

Amuseddaysleeper
11-18-2006, 03:34 AM
i love barry

anytime there's a new player on the spurs, you always hear about how Barry is always there to be one of the first to befriend. Be it rasho, beno, oberto, or whoever

I think he's great for the locker room, let alone the court

carina_gino20
11-18-2006, 03:51 AM
keep barry...the annual tip-off luncheon won't be the same without him..:lol

timvp
11-18-2006, 04:26 AM
Beno has been up and down so far this year but it was good to see him out there passing for a change. For a while there I thought someone had kidnapped Beno and replaced him with Eddie House.

aaronstampler
11-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Unless I'm reading too much into his comments, it sounds like Barry is saying that Udrih makes the right pass when it needs to be made, even if it won't result in an assist but Tony will only give it up if his target will shoot it right away.

Kori Ellis
11-18-2006, 05:03 AM
Unless I'm reading too much into his comments, it sounds like Barry is saying that Udrih makes the right pass when it needs to be made, even if it won't result in an assist but Tony will only give it up if his target will shoot it right away.

:lol How would Tony know if his target would shoot it right away? Psychic?

wildbill2u
11-18-2006, 09:53 AM
:lol How would Tony know if his target would shoot it right away? Psychic?
I think he meant that Beno is a point guard who can see the floor with an eye to what will/can/should happen in a sequence, based on the postion of the players on the floor.

It's much like a chess player being able to think several moves ahead, although much less rigidly structured than chess moves.

Example: "Barry is wide open on the left wing. If I pass to Horry at the top of the key, he can whip it to Barry for an easy 3 attempt." Might not happen that way in the flow of the game if Horry makes another decision, but that's what good ball movement is all about.

TP on the other hand still hasn't developed, and may never develop, a sense of 'several moves ahead' but only the most obvious pass for an open man who'll probably shoot.

I'd also be willing to bet that Beno plays more within the structure of the plays in the playbook while TP is more of a player who relies on free-wheeling deviations based on his own ability to get the job done.

austinfan
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
I think he meant that Beno is a point guard who can see the floor with an eye to what will/can/should happen in a sequence, based on the postion of the players on the floor.

It's much like a chess player being able to think several moves ahead, although much less rigidly structured than chess moves.

Example: "Barry is wide open on the left wing. If I pass to Horry at the top of the key, he can whip it to Barry for an easy 3 attempt." Might not happen that way in the flow of the game if Horry makes another decision, but that's what good ball movement is all about.

TP on the other hand still hasn't developed, and may never develop, a sense of 'several moves ahead' but only the most obvious pass for an open man who'll probably shoot.

Agree with all of this, and though I'm a complete layman when it comes to analyzing the game of basketball, and don't see all the subtleties that many on this board do when they watch a game, I still notice how the flow of the game seems to move more easily when Beno is distributing the ball than when Tony is working the point. Don't get me wrong, I think Tony is an extremely talented player and underrated on defense, but his talent has to do more with his personal skills and less with court vision. Whereas Beno has a basketball IQ that hasn't been fully developed yet, and already he's better at distribution than Tony is. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Also, just got back from vacation and have only seen two games so far, but based on those (even the Charlotte loss), this year's squad is much more of an integrated team learning to play different combinations with each other than the lumbering giant of late 2005/early 2006 that never really found its rhythm. I'm most impressed with Elson, Oberto and Beno, and am loving Manu's hustle, even if his shot is dormant at the moment.

Gin N Juice
11-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a feeling Brent Barry will one day make a fine coach. He's extremely intelligent and he understands the game very very well.

Exactly what I was thinking after reading that quote.

dallasmavsnfuego214
11-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Barry will be a missionary one day.

he's like a disciple of Christ

SequSpur
11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Beno is playing pretty... cough.. cough... cough.. cough...

velik_m
11-18-2006, 01:39 PM
So is it time to start Beno>Tony threads?

SequSpur
11-18-2006, 01:46 PM

beno is not in People magazine.

TDMVPDPOY
11-18-2006, 02:05 PM

if you wanna get ban, then yes :D

beno is not in People magazine.

man purse > ppl magazine

baseline bum
11-18-2006, 02:25 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I figured it was a quote making fun of Beno's man-purse or the way he dresses or something.

pjjrfan
11-18-2006, 09:08 PM
I think what BArry means is that Beno has a better picture of what is going on in the floor. I've always believed that a true point has to get his team going first and foremost, but with so many scoring point guards who can create for themselves the pass first guard is being put on the wayside. And last season Tony had to carry the team, with Tim playing hurt and Manu missing games and just being off from the previous year, Tony's play saved the team.

The genius of a Larry Bird and Magic Johnson was that on the defensive end when they got a rebound they knew exactly what was going to happen on the other end if everyone filled their lanes and did what they were supposed to do. Magic was not a great shooter, but his ability to see the floor and find the open man made the game easy for everyone around him, Bird the same thing. I don't think Tony will get to that level, but he can become a student of the game and work on understanding personnel and game situations enough to put him over the top. The guy is allstar already, if he can build on that part of his game, court awareness, the guy will be a superstar.

RC's Boss
11-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Tony's the shit. We should be fortunate Pop convinced Holt to throw the dough at Tony when he did, b/c while 66 mil is a lot.... 72-84 mil is a whole lot more, which is what we would've had to match if this cat had hit the market. I think what Barry was saying was not an attempt to prove Beno is a better "real" PG, but he was just bringin up the elemnt Beno brings to the game. I'm sure Tony and Pop would love him to avg. 10apg, but at the same time in the interviews you would always hear Tony saying Pop told him to be aggresive. It's not his fault he's so damn quick he doesn't see the floor :lol Hell, I doubt the floor can see him. :dizzy He is also one of the best finishers around the basket that doesn't play above the rim. And most of the time when he drives he doesn't need a kick out, b/c he has blown by everyone. Beno is making out to be a very solid backup, but Avery nor Porter avg in the tops in assists if I'm not mistaken. Tony is head and shoulders :ihit above them in terms of success whether being an integral part of a winning team on the court or his marketability off the court (this is a business as they say).