PDA

View Full Version : Bonner shows skills: Reserve leads Spurs' effort off bench in easy victory over Bulls

Solid D
11-18-2006, 03:09 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111806.01C.BKNspurs.bulls.gamer.350c04e.html

Web Posted: 11/18/2006 01:05 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Matt Bonner walked off the court Friday night, took his seat on the bench and turned to Brent Barry.
"I think I just played 10 minutes," Bonner said, "and I can't remember one second of it."

The Spurs will forgive Bonner for his memory lapse. During the past five months, he's switched teams, countries and nicknames: Known as the Red Rocket during his two seasons in Toronto, he's now White Grand Prix.

There's at least one thing about Bonner, however, that hasn't changed. He can still shoot. The three 3-pointers he made in the first half helped get the Spurs on track as they rolled to a 100-83 victory over Chicago at the AT&T Center.

"That's going to be his M.O. the rest of the year," Tim Duncan said. "He's going to come in and knock out some shots for us."

Duncan led the Spurs with 21 points, 11 rebounds and three blocks, but it was the team's reserves — for the second time in three games — who helped close out the victory. Barry made three 3-pointers, Michael Finley threw in two more and Beno Udrih ran the offense efficiently enough to give Tony Parker an extended rest.

Spurs Mailbag
Got a question about the Spurs? Use the form below and fire away!

With Chicago making its last stop on the tortuous Texas triangle, the Spurs wore down the Bulls with their depth. Duncan was the only starter to play more than 25 minutes and the reserves totaled 48 points, 21 rebounds and 16 assists.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had to look farther down his bench than usual after Fabricio Oberto and Francisco Elson both encountered early foul trouble. With Duncan also needing a rest, Popovich called on Bonner.

Bonner had appeared in only three of the team's first eight games, but he didn't need long to warm up. Less than 15 seconds after stepping onto the court, he hit his first 3-pointer. He helped start the second quarter with another. His third extended the Spurs' lead to 39-31 with 8:34 left in the half.

Having played so infrequently, Bonner said his mind was "going 1,000 miles an hour." On a couple of plays, he wasn't quite sure where to position himself.

"I already get pumped up enough and I was just really excited to be out there," he said. "The good thing is when you're in the game with Tim, most of the plays go to him. So you just have to look for him and get on the other side."

The Spurs shared the ball well, totaling 30 assists on 37 baskets. Udrih had nine assists, one shy of his career high. Parker had eight as the Bulls let the Spurs point guards, in the words of coach Scott Skiles, "basically penetrate at will."

Helping the Spurs' assist total was the fact that — unlike two nights earlier — they actually made a few shots. After making 2 of 17 3-pointers in their loss to Charlotte, they went 11 of 25 behind the arc.

The Spurs didn't clean up all their problems. They moved the ball freely enough to also commit 24 turnovers — most of which, Popovich said, were caused by "being too cute, too much mustard, skipping steps, cutting things short, that sort of thing, rather than making the simple passes."

But the Spurs' mistakes were more than offset by the 32 points they scored off Chicago's 23 turnovers. Ben Gordon, who scored 21 off the bench before spraining his left thumb in the fourth quarter, accounted for seven turnovers.

Though the Bulls were within 10 at the start of the fourth quarter, the Spurs' reserves, led by Barry, had little trouble extending the lead.

"I think we had some good combinations out there where the ball just seemed to move a bit better," Barry said. "It wasn't the prettiest game, but we did stay a little bit more focused on the job at hand."

Bonner eventually settled down as well. After playing in all but four games during his two seasons with the Raptors, his role with the Spurs requires patience. He has used the time to learn from Duncan and Robert Horry.

"They've helped me a lot since I've been here and I know I'm going to keep getting better in practice," Bonner said. "For that, I'm grateful."

A reduction in playing time hasn't been the only adjustment for Bonner. After relying on Toronto's "Red Rocket" subway system for transportation, he purchased a white Pontiac Grand Prix to help him get around San Antonio.

"You don't really see many Pontiacs on the road, let alone the average NBA player parking lot," Barry said. "Where most guys already have pimped rides, Matt's is a candidate for 'Pimp My Ride.'"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Solid D
11-18-2006, 03:24 AM
A reduction in playing time hasn't been the only adjustment for Bonner. After relying on Toronto's "Red Rocket" subway system for transportation, he purchased a white Pontiac Grand Prix to help him get around San Antonio.

"You don't really see many Pontiacs on the road, let alone the average NBA player parking lot," Barry said. "Where most guys already have pimped rides, Matt's is a candidate for 'Pimp My Ride.'"

:lmao

THE SIXTH MAN
11-18-2006, 03:25 AM
"I think we had some good combinations out there where the ball just seemed to move a bit better," Barry said. "It wasn't the prettiest game, but we did stay a little bit more focused on the job at hand."
I agree with this, although it wasn't pretty the ball movement was good during the fourth quarter.

:lol Brent's got some jokes!

Kori Ellis
11-18-2006, 03:31 AM
Here's the game recap from the Chicago point of view.

Bulls' stumble across Texas continues
Sloppy Bulls fall to 0-3 on 7-game trip; Gordon hurts thumb

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-061117bullsgamer,0,7133454.story

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter
Published November 17, 2006, 11:27 PM CST

SAN ANTONIO -- The Bulls traveled enough Friday night to be done with this seven-game trip. For good measure, they double-dribbled, carried and threw the ball away in high volume as well.

Instead of turning over a new leaf on this annual extended November trip, the Bulls merely turned over, bumbling and stumbling to 23 miscues in a 100-83 loss to the Spurs.

At 0-3 in Texas, the trip must go on. Luckily, equipment manager John Ligmanowski handles shoes and uniforms or else the Bulls might lose those too.

The Spurs, who committed 24 turnovers of their own in a sloppy game, scored 32 points directly off Bulls turnovers.

"The top two problems in my opinion are our defense and turnovers," P.J. Brown said. "Those will kill you."

They certainly did against the Spurs, who were led by Tim Duncan's 21 points and 11 rebounds.

Perhaps more disturbing than their 3-6 record is the way they are losing. Their six losses are by an average of 10.8 points.

By allowing San Antonio to shoot 51.4 percent, they are surrendering 46.8 percent shooting by their opponents—a far cry from the league-leading percentages of the last two seasons.

"Our defense was very suspect," coach Scott Skiles said. "We allowed [Tony] Parker and [Beno] Udrih to penetrate us at will and kick out to their shooters. It's becoming increasingly hard to understand why we haven't made the commitment to stopping people."

The Bulls gave the illusion they were hanging around until San Antonio buried them with a 12-4 run to open the fourth quarter. At this point, their offense consisted of watching Ben Gordon, who missed on three straight wild shots.

When Gordon exited, Andres Nocioni took over in trying to do too much, driving wildly. After missing his first nine shots, Nocioni finally hit a jumper. But the Bulls trailed 89-73.

"We're indiscriminately driving in there," Skiles said.

Gordon led the Bulls with 21 points. But he committed seven turnovers and left with 3 minutes 13 seconds remaining to have X-rays taken on his left thumb. Those were negative, but the thumb is sprained.

"I couldn't move it," Gordon said. "It was real painful. But I'll be fine [for Sunday's game]."

San Antonio put ace defender Bruce Bowen on Kirk Hinrich, who tallied 12 points and six assists. But he also committed five turnovers, battled early foul trouble and drew a technical foul for arguing with official Dick Bavetta.

"I got frustrated," Hinrich said.

Everybody with the Bulls is.

Nocioni wandered down a hallway, muttering something in Spanish. Hinrich quietly berated his play. Ben Wallace, who had 10 rebounds and four blocks, shook his head.

"We ain't never going to panic," Wallace said. "But we have some serious issues we need to address. The coaching staff can only do so much. They put the game plan together. It's up to us to execute."

[email protected]

MI21
11-18-2006, 03:34 AM

:lol

Brent is going to be a great TV personality.

ChumpDumper
11-18-2006, 03:34 AM
"I got frustrated," Hinrich said.You lucky you still got ankles, honky.

boutons_
11-18-2006, 05:10 AM
I wonder how many teams play "Texas Triangle" trips this season like the Bulls just did?
Bulls 0 - Texas 3. :lol

If the Rockets stay healthy, a lot of teams will go 0-2 and 0-3 in TX this season.

Viva Las Espuelas
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
You lucky you still got ankles, honky.we'll not make fun of whitey on this board. now chinks, spiks, wops, kikes, and negroes are open game. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismile.gif

Walton Buys Off Me
11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Bowen's defense was good for a change but offensively, the guy redefines inept.

Zunni
11-18-2006, 10:38 AM
4-7 FG 2-4 3G 11 pts in 23 minutes. You're STILL non-elite, Walton.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
San Antonio put ace defender Bruce Bowen on Kirk Hinrich, who tallied 12 points and six assists. But he also committed five turnovers, battled early foul trouble and drew a technical foul for arguing with official Dick Bavetta.

"I got frustrated," Hinrich said.

Probably means a fine is coming from Stu Jackson :rolleyes

T Park
11-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Bowen's defense was good for a change but offensively, the guy redefines inept

2 of 5 from three point land is sooo inept.

Go back to your hole eh.

SequSpur
11-18-2006, 01:37 PM
2 of 5 from three point land is sooo inept.

Go back to your hole eh.

yeah, that is more than Avery, they should retire his jersey.

Well looks like butler and white are going to spend even more time on the ir while Red tears up the NBA.