PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs rookie development & TD on Shaq

jmard5
11-20-2006, 02:03 AM
Spurs notebook: Staying with team key to rookie's development

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112006.10D.BKNspurs.notebook.305b965.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes what little he's seen of James White in practice. He doesn't have any plans to send the rookie guard to the NBA's developmental league, but he also doesn't have any plans to put him in a game anytime soon, either.

"We're evaluating him now mostly as an individual," Popovich said. "How he fits with other people in a team setting, see how he works out before or after practice. The days we haven't practiced, some of the young guys have gone three-on-three. We've seen him in those situations."

Popovich's impressions?

"He definitely has skills and is athletic," he said. "He's a mature young man who understands his time is ahead of him. In the meantime, he seems very willing to work. So far, nothing but a positive report on him."

White has the disadvantage of having not spent the preseason with the Spurs. They signed him the first week of the season after Indiana waived him.

That's one reason why Popovich wants to keep him with the team instead of sending him to the Spurs' D-League affiliate in Austin.

"He needs to learn the language of the team and players," Popovich said. "I want to see him in practice and work with him for right now and see what he's all about."

Olé: The Spurs went looking for a fight shortly after arriving in Sacramento on Saturday. They found one at Arco Arena.

Tim Duncan, Eric Williams, Michael Finley, Matt Bonner, Beno Udrih and Spurs assistant strength coach Chris White attended the Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight bout between Georges St. Pierre and Matt Hughes.

Manu Ginobili passed on the offer to join them.

Said Ginobili: "I'm a lover not a fighter."

Get well soon, Shaq: Duncan won't have to deal with Shaquille O'Neal leaning on him when Miami visits the AT&T Center on Wednesday. The Heat center is expected to be out four to six weeks after undergoing surgery Sunday to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.

Duncan, however, wasn't happy to hear his longtime rival was hurt.

"That sucks," Duncan said. "You wish injuries on no one. That's the worst thing in the world, to work an entire summer to come back and have that happen so early in the season.

"I guess if there's a silver lining, that's it: It's early in the season, and he'll be able to recover from it, get back in shape and get back on the court and they can get used to playing with him again."

Briefly: Sacramento forward Kenny Thomas had to leave Sunday's game in the second quarter with a cut lip. ... Francisco Elson received a delay-of-game penalty for not having his jersey tucked in when he lined up along the lane for a free throw. In addition to cracking down on step-under fouls, the league also is trying to rid the game of untucked jerseys.

--------------------------

Duncan will always be a class act. He understands what it means to be injured. How many times have we heard him saying these lines to an injured player? A competitor and a fighter wishing the best for his rivals?

:clap

Mr. Body
11-20-2006, 02:27 AM
Must have read the forum's mind. It's good to have a report on James White and that things are going well.

Dingle Barry
11-20-2006, 03:21 AM
They don't call Duncan "God" for nothing.

rayray2k8
11-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Sounds like pop's got some big plans for him in the future..

Borosai
11-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Good...I'm glad he's being given a good chance to develop and succeed as a Spur, but I really, really want to see him play (I'm referring to White, of course).

1Parker1
11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Manu Ginobili passed on the offer to join them.

Said Ginobili: "I'm a lover not a fighter."

Awww :makeout