PDA

View Full Version : Another Chinese prospect for next year's draft

flipcritic
11-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Yi Jianlian. Anyone heard of him? I haven't.

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2006/pr/subs/siexclusive/11/15/z.jianlian1120/

Foreign Intrigue
Is Yi Jianlian another Yao Ming -- or Wang Zhizhi? An NBA team will likely use a top draft pick to find out
By Chris Mannix

It's just after 8 a.m. when the future of Chinese basketball steps out the door of his spartan one-bedroom apartment in Dongguan to join his team for breakfast. There is no star treatment for Yi Jianlian, just a plate of eggs, a couple of slices of burned toast and a seat at the table with the rest of his teammates on Guangdong Hongyuan, China's top professional team. In fact, the only hint of any star treatment for Yi is the Myoplex protein shake the 19-year-old center gulps down, a perk, you could say, from his personal trainers who are furiously preparing Yi for the NBA draft next June, when he'll be China's most heralded prospect since Yao Ming.

On Nov. 3 Chinese basketball officials cleared the 6'11", 230-pound Yi to play in the U.S. The son of former athletes -- both of Yi's parents were team handball players -- Yi grew up in the southern town of Shenzhen. Already 6'4" and just out of grade school, Yi enrolled at one of China's full-time sports schools before joining the Chinese Basketball Association in 2002, at age 15. His game was unpolished, but his athleticism -- he could touch a spot on the backboard 11 1/2 feet off the ground -- was obvious. "He's long and runs like a deer," says Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Del Harris, who coached Yi on the Chinese national team in 2004, "and he isn't close to being a finished product."

One of the people charged with refining that product is Joe Abunassar, a trainer who's worked with many NBA players, most notably Kevin Garnett and Chauncey Billups. Hired in October by Yi's agent, Dan Fegan, to oversee the youngster's physical development, Abunassar spent a week in China last month setting up a workout program that Yi has added to his two-a-day practice regimen with Guangdong Hongyuan. "He is a very strong guy," Abunassar says of Yi. "He's powerful and understands how to use his body."

Over his four seasons in the Chinese Basketball Association, Yi has stepped out of the oversized shadows cast by China's "Great Wall of Centers," which includes Yao and former NBA backups Wang Zhizhi (who isn't really a center) and Mengke Bateer (who isn't really great). Last season Yi led Guangdong to its third straight title, averaging 20.5 points and 9.6 rebounds for the Tigers. This season he's utilized a feathery 15-foot jumper and a knack for finding the ball around the rim to average 25.9 points and 12.5 rebounds, despite sharing the floor with four other members of China's national team.

That glut of talent on Guangdong may be one thing that's stifling Yi's development. "It seems like all the top players are playing on his team," says an NBA assistant, "and the rest of the league is what's left over. The competition is not at an NBA level. It's not even at a Division I level."

Nonetheless, Yi, who has been compared to Al Harrington and Darko Milicic, is projected to be a lottery pick come June. He'll finish the CBA season (which runs through April) before traveling to the U.S., but Fegan has already prepared tapes to send out to NBA teams, who can read the writing on the Wall: Yi may not be Yao, but there is still plenty about him that wows.

[I]Issue date: November 20, 2006

mffl89
11-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I've seen him play a few games during the World Championships and he seemed like China's 2nd best player behind Yao Ming. It'd be pretty cool if that super fast pg they had would also make it into the NBA.

Leetonidas
11-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Ah, I thought this was the 7'9" guy.

Phenomanul
11-20-2006, 02:20 PM
If I'm not mistaking him for someone else, Fantasy Leaguers drafted him last season I believe..... and some leagues drafted him this year.

davi78239
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
Ah, I thought this was the 7'9" guy.

Yea, me too. I saw a special on the guy you're talking about and this dude would be the tallest player in the NBA, even taller than Yao is.

JamStone
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Heard of him and he's supposed to be very good. He's a 7-footer who supposedly has the skill set and athleticism of a small forward. Depending on what teams are positioned where in the lottery, he could probably go anywhere from 4 to mid to late first round. I'm sure the Chinese government will get a little involved to make sure he goes somewhere they are satisfied with. However, with Oden, Noah, Splitter, among other very good big men prospects possibly being in this draft as well, they might wait until the next year to make sure he and the Chinese government get a better chance to control over what team gets to draft him.

There is another Chinese prospect, I think his name is something like Sun Ye, who is a point guard at 6-foot-9. I think there's less written on him however.

nkdlunch
11-20-2006, 03:08 PM
these damn chinese are experimenting with DNA too much

then again, they need to improve on Yao v1.0 since that prototype runs out of gas too fast

AFBlue
11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Yea, me too. I saw a special on the guy you're talking about and this dude would be the tallest player in the NBA, even taller than Yao is.

Forget Yianlin...who's this 7'9 guy? Name?

Bruno
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I've read that people aren't sure how old he is.
Not knowing the exact age of prospect born in Asia or Africa is a real concern for nba scouts.

Bob Lanier
11-20-2006, 07:22 PM
He isn't bad.