ducks
11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
New Orl/OKC 99, Minnesota 96
New Orl/OKC 99, Minnesota 96

Preview - Box Score - Recap

November 18, 2006

AP - Nov 18, 9:25 pm EST
More Photos

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Chris Paul was dominating the Minnesota Timberwolves with the highest-scoring night of his young NBA career. But in the final seconds, the New Orleans Hornets turned to Peja Stojakovic for the game-winning play.

Stojakovic's 3-pointer with 0.6 seconds to play lifted the Hornets over the Timberwolves 99-96 on Saturday night.

"Unbelievable," Paul said. "I have a lot of confidence in myself, but I have the utmost confidence in Peja."

The shot capped a wild final minute that featured four lead changes and Paul -- all 6-feet and 175 pounds of him -- driving the lane without hesitation against 7-footer Kevin Garnett.

Paul had 10 of New Orleans' final 15 points, including two crucial shots against Garnett and a pair of free throws in the closing seconds. Stojakovic finished with 20 as the Hornets sent the Wolves to their sixth loss in seven games.

ADVERTISEMENT

The game appeared headed to overtime when Minnesota tied it at 96 on Mike James' 3-pointer with 2.9 seconds to play -- his only field goal of the game. But on the ensuing play, Stojakovic broke away from Marko Jaric on the perimeter in front of the Wolves bench and displayed the pure touch that earned him a reputation as one of the game's most dangerous outside shooters.

"I ran a brush screen for (Paul)," Stojakovic said. "And there was a good screen for me. I got a pretty good look."

Said Hornets coach Byron Scott: "I just knew if we could get a real good look for Peja, by the time he knocks it down, it is going to be less than a second left in the game."

Minnesota had no answer for Paul's drives into the lane. He hit a driving layup over Garnett with 20 seconds to play and added two foul shots to make it 96-93 with 6.7 seconds remaining.

"He's a task," Garnett said. "We knew he was going to have the ball in his hands the majority of the time. ... You keep him under control, you keep the team under control."

Garnett led Minnesota with 22 points and 17 rebounds. Troy Hudson added a season-high 20 points.

Tyson Chandler and Marc Jackson both returned from injuries to give a boost to the Hornets' ailing frontcourt. The Hornets outscored Minnesota 46-28 in the paint, but thanks to Garnett, the Wolves still outrebounded New Orleans 50-37.

Chandler returned to the starting lineup after missing two games with a concussion, but had only four points and six rebounds. Jackson played for the first time this season after being inactive for the first eight games with a strained hamstring and not playing Wednesday night at Detroit. Jackson had six points.

Garnett scored 12 points in the first quarter. Minnesota went on a 25-10 run late in the second quarter and took a five-point halftime lead. Hudson sparked the run by going 5-for-9, including 3-for-4 from 3-point range, for 13 points in the period. But those players combined for only 13 points in the second half.

Notes

Paul's previous career high was 34 on Nov. 9 at Golden State. ... Wolves G Bracey Wright, Minnesota's second-round draft pick in 2005, was inactive for the fourth time this season. He's played only 1:52 this season. Despite the lack of playing time, Wolves coach Dwane Casey said assigning Wright to the D-League has not been discussed. "Our roster is so many guys who are guards, and it's unfortunate for Bracey because he's one of our best shooters," Casey said. "But right now he's got guys ahead of him." ... Though the returns of Chandler and Jackson added some much-needed depth to New Orleans' frontcourt, coach Byron Scott still misses F David West, who's missed the last three games with an injured forearm. "It's good to be almost healthy," Scott said.

Chris Childs
11-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Like really who cares?