PDA

View Full Version : To the Arizona Residents.......

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 01:51 PM
............say hello to your newest member.

Moved out here two days ago and now I need to know what to do in this state. I'm currently in Scottsdale and will be in Tempe in a few months. Any information on activities and places to go would be helpful. I am a big fan of Sports Bars and bars in general so let me know of some good ones. I've already been to a couple fun ones; Devil's Martini, Sandbar, Maloney's.

But, I can't be going to bars every night so I need some actual activities. I dig the outdoors types stuff and like sight seeing or just driving around. By the way, the women out here are hot! And there are so many of them! I may end up really enjoying myself out here.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Going to ASU to finish up school at their Professional Golf Management program. It was here or Vegas, and there is no way I'd survive with a Sports Book and free drinks outside my frontdoor.

And I actually don't mind the hot weather, it tends to keep the girls nice and tan. I've been in San Diego and Long Beach my whole life, and I've seen my share of hotties, but I'm telling you, in the couple days I've been here my mind has been blown.

CuckingFunt
11-20-2006, 02:21 PM
My ex-girlfriend grew up in Tempe, but it's been years since I've been out there. The few times I made the trip, we mostly hung out and visited with her family, but I do remember having a pretty good time when we went out. I'll let you know if I can remember any specific places to check out.

Kori Ellis
11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
You should PM Samurai Jane on the board. She just moved from San Antonio to Scottsdale a month (or so) ago.

I lived in Phoenix area for 17 years but that was a LONG time ago. So I can't really help with info. But for outdoor stuff, there's hiking at Camelback Mountain. Horseback riding at South Mountain Park and stuff like that.

johngateswhiteley
11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Going to ASU to finish up school at their Professional Golf Management program. It was here or Vegas, and there is no way I'd survive with a Sports Book and free drinks outside my frontdoor.

And I actually don't mind the hot weather, it tends to keep the girls nice and tan. I've been in San Diego and Long Beach my whole life, and I've seen my share of hotties, but I'm telling you, in the couple days I've been here my mind has been blown.

dude, girls there are smoke...no doubt about it. i love that region.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks. And I'm not just looking for bars and clubs...............

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
You should PM Samurai Jane on the board. She just moved from San Antonio to Scottsdale a month (or so) ago.

I lived in Phoenix area for 17 years but that was a LONG time ago. So I can't really help with info. But for outdoor stuff, there's hiking at Camelback Mountain. Horseback riding at South Mountain Park and stuff like that.Nice. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Are there any lakes to go to out here that have decent fishing?

Kori Ellis
11-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Nice. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Are there any lakes to go to out here that have decent fishing?

Well we used to go to Lake Pleasant (but that was long ago). Also tubing (beer, water, girls in bikinis) on the Salt River is pretty popular.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Well we used to go to Lake Pleasant (but that was long ago). Also tubing (beer, water, girls in bikinis) on the Salt River is pretty popular.

I will be there. :hungry:

I can't wait for the Monsoon season to start. I've got my camera ready for some amazing lightning photos.

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Welcome to Scottsdale, TSA. The closest In-and-Out is on Rural (Scottsdale Rd), south of the 202. :lol

If you need to know where anything is, shoot me a PM. I've been here for about 10 years now.

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Cool! Welcome! I currently live in Scottsdale and I've been here a little over 2 months. We've been hiking on Camelback and there's a cool Hohokam Petroglyph trail near Apache Junction. www.azcentral.com has some pretty neat looking hikes, too. TSB probably knows more about this than I do. There are nice parks pretty much on every block up and down Hayden. You can get a visitors guide and just start hitting some of the spots. We drove up north to a winery which was pretty cool and also saw Montezuma's castle and Tuzigoot ruins. Lots of stuff to do around here. Feel free to PM me as well.

Jenn

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Welcome to Scottsdale, TSA. The closest In-and-Out is on Rural (Scottsdale Rd), south of the 202. :lol

If you need to know where anything is, shoot me a PM. I've been here for about 10 years now.

You know, I went there a few weeks ago and I wasn't all that impressed.. must have been an off night or something! :dizzy

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/travel/visitor/tourists/travel_quickguideindex.html

I've seen catfish in the canals but I'm not sure if you can fish there. There is this one park off of Hayden and Chapparal, I saw a guy in a little boat fishing there.

I thought this was a decent website to get hiking info too: http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Hikes.htm

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh! We went to a pretty cool piano bar down on Mill Ave (can't remember the name), too, if you like that sort of thing! Jackson on 3rd was fun, too. Four Peaks is a great microbrewery (I'm not a beer drinker but I hear that Kiltlifter is the bomb) and they have good food there, too.

I don't know if you have found this out yet, but Scottsdale also has a free trolley that will take you to all the hot spots in Scottsdale, like Fashion Square, Old Town Scottsdale, etc. I liked letting someone else do the driving while I get a look around.

tlongII
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Last time I was in Phoenix was 4 years ago for baseball spring training in March. Scottsdale is terrific although a bit pricey compared to other Phoenix areas. Make sure you play Greyhawk Golf Course. Very nice! TPC at Scottsdale is great too.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 04:56 PM

I actually found an In-and-out about five minutes from where I live off of Cactus! But, I'm In-and-outted out. 25 years in California will do that to you.
I'd really like to find some authentic Mexican food around here.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Oh! We went to a pretty cool piano bar down on Mill Ave (can't remember the name), too, if you like that sort of thing! Jackson on 3rd was fun, too. Four Peaks is a great microbrewery (I'm not a beer drinker but I hear that Kiltlifter is the bomb) and they have good food there, too.

I don't know if you have found this out yet, but Scottsdale also has a free trolley that will take you to all the hot spots in Scottsdale, like Fashion Square, Old Town Scottsdale, etc. I liked letting someone else do the driving while I get a look around.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be using the free trolley system. What time does it run until? I usually need a ride home from the bars!

I will be checking out all the places you all have recommended. Thanks again for the help. People out here already seem much nicer than the L.A. people I've dealt with over the years. My only complaint so far has been the shitty drivers.

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I actually found an In-and-out about five minutes from where I live off of Cactus! But, I'm In-and-outted out. 25 years in California will do that to you.
I'd really like to find some authentic Mexican food around here.

I don't know what you mean by authentic, but there's a pretty good little place called La Fonda in Papago Plaza off of McDowell & Scottsdale Rd. Pink Taco also had some decent chicken enchiladas and Macayo's wasn't bad either (none of these are as good as San Antonio food though!)

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Last time I was in Phoenix was 4 years ago for baseball spring training in March. Scottsdale is terrific although a bit pricey compared to other Phoenix areas. Make sure you play Greyhawk Golf Course. Very nice! TPC at Scottsdale is great too.
Three of my highschool buddies will be playing out here this spring and they said I can get tickets for all the games! :clap

My first night I met three guys who work at Greyhawk and got their phone numbers. They said I'd be able to play some free golf with them in the afternoons. I am so excited, they wouldn't shut up about how nice their course is.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 05:01 PM
I don't know what you mean by authentic, but there's a pretty good little place called La Fonda in Papago Plaza off of McDowell & Scottsdale Rd. Pink Taco also had some decent chicken enchiladas and Macayo's wasn't bad either (none of these are as good as San Antonio food though!)
By authentic I mean those little hole in the wall places you stumble upon that have great food/atmosphere. I'll try out your recommendations.

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be using the free trolley system. What time does it run until? I usually need a ride home from the bars!

I will be checking out all the places you all have recommended. Thanks again for the help. People out here already seem much nicer than the L.A. people I've dealt with over the years. My only complaint so far has been the shitty drivers.

I think until 9 so you might be out of luck on the after bar-hopping free ride. Sorry!

I'm the opposite of you, I think. I think alot of people in Scottsdale (with a few exceptions, TSB) are more snooty than the people in Texas. I was surprised at how often I would say hi to someone I passed in the hall and didn't get a response back. That was strange to me, but after a while, they warmed up to me.

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 05:06 PM
By authentic I mean those little hole in the wall places you stumble upon that have great food/atmosphere. I'll try out your recommendations.

Out of those 3 La Fonda is probably the closest to your description. :hungry:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm gonna be passing through Phoenix for a night or two in early/mid Jan, so I'll PM you guys closer to the time. maybe we can all go out for a hike or a drink, or both?! :lol

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Cool!

dirk4mvp
11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Root for the Suns/Cardinals.

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Root for the Suns/Cardinals.

Never :flag:

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I think until 9 so you might be out of luck on the after bar-hopping free ride. Sorry!

I'm the opposite of you, I think. I think alot of people in Scottsdale (with a few exceptions, TSB) are more snooty than the people in Texas. I was surprised at how often I would say hi to someone I passed in the hall and didn't get a response back. That was strange to me, but after a while, they warmed up to me.

Thx! I am from San Antonio, though, not a true Arizonan. :) Yes, people from Scottsdale are more snooty. If I had a Ferrari, I would be snooty too! :lmao

Jenn, you didn't like In and Out? :dramaquee I was there for lunch today and left with my usual "post In-and-out buzz," and didn't do much afterward. :lol Do you know of the secret menu?

TSA, for Mexican Food, try Rosita's on University and Hardy in Tempe. It's as good as anywhere in AZ. If the more upscale is your choice, Abuelo's in Chandler is good, too, but pricey.

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Three of my highschool buddies will be playing out here this spring and they said I can get tickets for all the games! :clap

My first night I met three guys who work at Greyhawk and got their phone numbers. They said I'd be able to play some free golf with them in the afternoons. I am so excited, they wouldn't shut up about how nice their course is.

Greyhawk is nice, but just about every course in Scottsdale is nice. This is golf mecca. :)

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
I think there's finally enough of us here in AZ to warrant our own Spurs GTG, yes? TSA, we'll have to baptize you in the name of the silver and black beforehand. :)

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Never :flag:

Me either- it's Spurs 'til I die! :king

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Thx! I am from San Antonio, though, not a true Arizonan. :) Yes, people from Scottsdale are more snooty. If I had a Ferrari, I would be snooty too! :lmao

Jenn, you didn't like In and Out? :dramaquee I was there for lunch today and left with my usual "post In-and-out buzz," and didn't do much afterward. :lol Do you know of the secret menu?

TSA, for Mexican Food, try Rosita's on University and Hardy in Tempe. It's as good as anywhere in AZ. If the more upscale is your choice, Abuelo's in Chandler is good, too, but pricey.

I feel my nose go a few centimeters higher in the air when I walk around Scottsdale Fashion Square! :dramaquee There are alot more BMW's and Lexus's than I'm used to! :greedy

Maybe it's because I'm on a diet and I had to get the least tasty item on the menu! :lol I didn't hear anything about a secret menu. :hungry:

Samurai Jane
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I think there's finally enough of us here in AZ to warrant our own Spurs GTG, yes? TSA, we'll have to baptize you in the name of the silver and black beforehand. :)

Yeah! Does the Fox Sports Grill broadcast FSNSW? :fro

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Secret Menu (http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp)

You can't be on a diet there. Trust me, I know! :)

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah! Does the Fox Sports Grill broadcast FSNSW? :fro

I would guess so, but I'd think most places at least have the league pass. :)

tsb2000
11-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I feel my nose go a few centimeters higher in the air when I walk around Scottsdale Fashion Square! :dramaquee There are alot more BMW's and Lexus's than I'm used to! :greedy

My daughters do the same thing. Guess that means I've spoiled them rotten! :lol

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Going to ASU to finish up school at their Professional Golf Management program.

That sounds like something that could suspiciously evolve into a seven-year program.

TheSanityAnnex
11-21-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm gonna be passing through Phoenix for a night or two in early/mid Jan, so I'll PM you guys closer to the time. maybe we can all go out for a hike or a drink, or both?! :lol
Lets just drink. :drunk

TheSanityAnnex
11-21-2006, 03:37 AM
That sounds like something that could suspiciously evolve into a seven-year program.:lol

I'll be done in two years. I'm already on my fourth year.
:drunk