PDA

View Full Version : The Hollinger theory

lefty
11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Taken from today's live chat (espn.com)

Smoot (NY, NY): Bowen has one more strike. One more injury to a player caused by landing on Bruce's evil foot, and something must be done. Do you agree?

SportsNation John Hollinger: (2:28 PM ET ) I had a long conversation with a Spurs official about this, and here was the point he made: From a statistical perspective, wouldn't you EXPECT Bowen to have this happen far more often than anyone else? He guards the guys who take the most shots. He's in position to challenge the shot more than anyone else. And he's more likely to force a fadeaway than anyone else, which results in the shooter's feet landing in front of his body while the defender -- who is usually lunging out -- lands with his feet in front of his body.

Mr. Body
11-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Dirk sprained Manu's ankle in the 2002 WBC when Ginobili landed on his foot coming down from a shot, right? Nowitzski never got called a cheater for it. Wonder why.

Solid D
11-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Mr. Body, you and I both have long memories about that one but that wasn't an NBA game.

Mr. Body
11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I know, I know, but the point is more that this is hardly the only time someone's come down on a guy's foot. Spurs' official is right, though, that it happens more frequently with Bowen. As practiced as Bowen is, however, I'd think were he really trying, it would happen more often.

BigVee
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
And if he was so adept at doing this, why Francis in a meaningless Nov game? Why not Rip in the finals, or Stackhouse in the playoffs, or a week before the season ends? Why do it to guys in relative unimportant reg season games?

101A
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I know, I know, but the point is more that this is hardly the only time someone's come down on a guy's foot. Spurs' official is right, though, that it happens more frequently with Bowen. As practiced as Bowen is, however, I'd think were he really trying, it would happen more often.

TWICE is more frequent???

ambchang
11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
I play ball and I landed on somebody's foot dozen's of times (well, definitely more than twice), and I don't play near the intensity, atheleticism or frequency Bowen plays. I must be playing with a bunch of dirty mofos.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
And he's more likely to force a fadeaway than anyone else, which results in the shooter's feet landing in front of his body while the defender -- who is usually lunging out -- lands with his feet in front of his body.

Sounds like he never played ball to me. In a fadeaway, the defender fades away - his feet land behind where he was standing before. It would be almost impossible to hurt someone like this on a fadeaway unless you were standing behind him.

When you lunge forward to challenge a shot, your whole body does move forward, but your arm and shoulder are generally well ahead of your body and will make contact with the shooter well before your feet are in any position to be under him. Your feet certainly don't lead! Also, most players challenge shots at an angle so that their body won't hit the shooter and sails right by.

No, what we have all seen Bowen do on occasion is put a hand in the face of a guy going up for a J, then step in towards the jumpshooter before he lands. Watch the Carter tape, he does exactly that. I don't think he does it to cause ankle injuries, but he could easily cut out that last step in and IT WOULDN'T AFFECT HIS D ONE BIT. He's already put a hand in the guy's face, and the shot is already away, so he should be boxing out anyway.

I like Hollinger and respect a lot of what he does, but in this case he's flat WRONG.

Man In Black
11-20-2006, 06:43 PM
He used the wrong terminology, he should of said, Follow Through on a Jumper.
But that back screen move is as much a move that is done like a well placed elbow to the chest of a defender to get the space to score. No one ever complains about that move, but if you've been hit by say Karl Malone when his elbows flashed high(Aka David or Steve Nash) then you've seen the damage.
Karl Malone said the same thing that Bruce is doing now,"I ain't going to change the way I play."

phxspurfan
11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
bowen will never be suspended for this. hollingers point is statistically sound.