PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world

Mavs<Spurs
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world and he is currently playing the best basketball of anybody in the NBA.

He is what he is.

ducks
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
yes basketball player
lt is the best football player in the world

Mavs<Spurs
11-20-2006, 06:06 PM
yes basketball player

good point, ducks

Mavs<Spurs
11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
It is so obvious how healthy he is.

That spells trouble for everybody else.

Look at his numbers: 23 points a game, 12 rebounds a game, 2-3 shot blocks a game, the intangibles that he brings and his defense.

Mavs<Spurs
11-20-2006, 06:10 PM
He could score 30 something points a game if that was our offense.
It is actually a credit to him that he doesn't.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Yup. This really needed its own thread.

Winnipeg_Spur
11-20-2006, 06:59 PM
One thing I've noticed this year is that smaller players have no shot at guarding him (other than Malik). The players that have had some success against TD have almost all been real bigs (Diop and Mutombo come to mind) but anyone else has just been destroyed in the post.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
^You just noticed that this year?

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Yup. This really needed its own thread.

Sadly, around here it does.

slayermin
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Tim is on the cuspis of breaking into the top five greatest of all time. If the Spurs win number four, he has a legitimate argument.

How many of the greats dominated like Tim does on both ends? Wilt, Jordan, and Olajuwon are the three that come to mind. Others have been better on the offense end and a few on defense than TD. But only the three aforementioned players were better, imo.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Kareem in his prime goes in there, too.

And, unfortunately, Karl Malone. But he loses points for no titles.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Wait a fucken minute, Don't compare Kareem to Duncan. Most of you people in SA don't know Vintage Lakers.

You probably don't know that Kareem played a few years for somebody other than the Lakers.

And you also probably don't know that Kareem's prime was mostly over by the time you started paying attention to the Lakers.

So at least you're getting some education out of this.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Kareem was hard?

You just proved you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Throughout his career, Kareem was being criticized for not being physical enough. Wilt Chamberlain called him a "disgrace" because he thought he should have been a better rebounder.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Please tell me you're really just a Mav fan pretending to be a Laker fan. It would explain a lot.

spurtime
11-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Kareem was a great player. Timmy is a great player. Attempting to drag down either in order to build up the other is weak and stupid.

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Who is dragging down Kareem?

T Park
11-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Typical Laker fan.

spurtime
11-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Who is dragging down Kareem?

You said Wilt did, which is fine. My post is mainly directed at Black Mamba.

spurtime
11-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I really Like Duncan. I enjoy him as a player. I just don't think Kareem and Duncan should be used in the same blog. Specially one thats title is "Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world". Kareem is a legend and maybe Duncan will be known as that someday.

Saying Tim Duncan is the best player in the world presupposes that one is talking about present day players since "is" is present tense.

4-5 more 20/10 seasons and I think Timmy can begin being mentioned in the same breath with Kareem. Tim's approaching Larry Bird and catches up with him if he gets another title imo. Once you catch The Legend, you're down to the final handful.

JamStone
11-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Zach Randolph is the best basketball player in the world.

spurtime
11-20-2006, 11:28 PM
This is your opinion, wich I respect but Below are the true hard facts.

Games played - 1560 (2nd most in NBA history)
Field goal % - 55.9 (8th highest in NBA history)
Free throw % - 72.1
Rebounds - 17,440 (3rd most in NBA history)
Rebounds per game - 11.2 (tied for 24th highest in NBA history)
Assists - 5660 (31st in NBA history)
Assist per game - 3.6
Steals - 1160
Blocks - 3189 (2nd most in NBA history)
Points per game - 24.6 (12th highest)
Holds NBA career record for:
Most points in NBA history - 38,387
Most minutes played (57,446)
Most field goals made (15,837)
Most field goals attempted (28,307)
Most All-Star selections (19)
Most All-Star games played (18)
Most playoff games played (237)
Three-time NCAA champion (1967, 1968, 1969)
Rookie of the Year (1970)
Six-time NBA champion (1971, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988)
Most Valuable Player (1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980)
Finals Most Valuable Player (1971, 1985)

If Timmy were to get the opportunity to play in an uptempo offense with the greatest PG in the history of the game for the next 7 seasons, I think he could put up similar career numbers. Just my opinion.

mavs>spurs2
11-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Kobe>Duncan

ShoogarBear
11-20-2006, 11:33 PM
You realize of course that the reason Kareem's name got brought up is because someone wanted to list every dominating two-way player in NBA history? Are you going to say don't compare Kareem to Wilt, Olajuwon, and Jordan too?

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Jamstone is just mad cuz his team may not make the playoffs.

Zach Randolph does not have the credentials prima facie to even be brought up: (e.g. never even considered as an mvp candidate before (if he was this good this year, in some previous year, probably he would have been considered), not an all star (if he were this good, he would have been selected as an all star recently), not first team defense all NBA ...). Zach can score the ball pretty well. He does not make his team better like Tim Duncan does and he is not the great defensive player that Tim Duncan is. The Blazers had basically one primary scoring option. Hence, Zach had to try to score almost every time, if he could. The Spurs have multiple scoring options, Parker, Manu, Barry, Finley in addition to Tim Duncan. The Spurs share the ball more. Hence, Tim does not have to try to put up huge numbers every game.

So, Jamstone is saying something ridiculous for reasons I can't even guess.

Let's look at 2 way players: Garnett, Kobe, Artest and that is about it.
Wade and LeBron are not yet really two way players. Others are not good enough. Of the true two way players, Duncan is clearly the best. Bill Simmons quote is sufficient: If Tim Duncan plays 75-80 games, the Spurs will make the playoffs. The same cannot be said about Kevin Garnett. Kobe clearly does not elevate his team like Tim does (look for example at 2003 when he had little help because of David's back and the others had not yet emerged). Artest gives teams such a poor chemistry, is not good in terms of shot selection and is just not as good a player as Duncan.

Clearly, Nash is out by now. If we consider Wade and LeBron or even Dirk, then we are looking at one way players. Moreover, they are not playing as well this year as they did last year, in my opinion. Besides, defense is just as important as offense and Tim clearly outclasses them in defense by a mile.

jman3000
11-21-2006, 01:57 PM
i don't know who's being sarcastic and who's being serious in this thread ... but yeah... if you don't think that Duncan belongs in the same "blog" as kareem... you don't understand the game very much.

and kareem's big deal was his longevity ... practically played through 3 different NBA eras.

td4mvp21
11-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I really Like Duncan. I enjoy him as a player. I just don't think Kareem and Duncan should be used in the same blog. Specially one thats title is "Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world". Kareem is a legend and maybe Duncan will be known as that someday. Yes I am a typical Laker Fan, whatever that means. Living in SA has been hard for my 6 year old. We love our lakers and represent in every city we have lived in but San Antonians need to be more respectful towards all other NBA fans, including young kids.

Dude, Duncan already is a legend. I think most non Spurs fans would admit that.

Rummpd
11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
A very valid arguement can be made that Kareem is the very best player ever to play basketball looking at both this college and pro career. Surely if nothing else, he had the most unstoppable shot ever.

That being said Duncan is one of the few players that when all is said and done belongs on the same court with him.

JamStone
11-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Jamstone is just mad cuz his team may not make the playoffs.

Zach Randolph does not have the credentials prima facie to even be brought up: (e.g. never even considered as an mvp candidate before (if he was this good this year, in some previous year, probably he would have been considered), not an all star (if he were this good, he would have been selected as an all star recently), not first team defense all NBA ...). Zach can score the ball pretty well. He does not make his team better like Tim Duncan does and he is not the great defensive player that Tim Duncan is. The Blazers had basically one primary scoring option. Hence, Zach had to try to score almost every time, if he could. The Spurs have multiple scoring options, Parker, Manu, Barry, Finley in addition to Tim Duncan. The Spurs share the ball more. Hence, Tim does not have to try to put up huge numbers every game.

So, Jamstone is saying something ridiculous for reasons I can't even guess.

Let's look at 2 way players: Garnett, Kobe, Artest and that is about it.
Wade and LeBron are not yet really two way players. Others are not good enough. Of the true two way players, Duncan is clearly the best. Bill Simmons quote is sufficient: If Tim Duncan plays 75-80 games, the Spurs will make the playoffs. The same cannot be said about Kevin Garnett. Kobe clearly does not elevate his team like Tim does (look for example at 2003 when he had little help because of David's back and the others had not yet emerged). Artest gives teams such a poor chemistry, is not good in terms of shot selection and is just not as good a player as Duncan.

Clearly, Nash is out by now. If we consider Wade and LeBron or even Dirk, then we are looking at one way players. Moreover, they are not playing as well this year as they did last year, in my opinion. Besides, defense is just as important as offense and Tim clearly outclasses them in defense by a mile.

:downspin: :downspin: :downspin:

:oink :oink :oink

:dramaquee :dramaquee :dramaquee

I guess I need to use these little smiley faces more often, otherwise DOLTS like you don't know the difference between a sarcastic joke and a serious comment.

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 03:45 PM
A very valid arguement can be made that Kareem is the very best player ever to play basketball looking at both this college and pro career. Surely if nothing else, he had the most unstoppable shot ever.

That being said Duncan is one of the few players that when all is said and done belongs on the same court with him.

Kareem is the greatest college player of all time, bar none.

whottt
11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
If Kareem was so great in the NBA how come he had a couple of seasons where his team finished in last fucking place, and failed to win a title anytime he didn't have a guy who either was, or would be, the All Time Leader in assists as his point guard and 1st or 2nd all time in triple doubles...

Cmon cocksuckers....use the Timmy carried Drob logic on this one.

Number of titles Kareem won without Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson as his fucking pointguards: = 0

Multiple last place division finishes in seasons he was healthy, without them.

Now get down on your knees and kiss David Robinson's ass and say thank gawd you were a San Antonio Spur.

And this includes you Dumpstone and Gartensnake.

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
I think Kareem only had one season in last place, but props to whottt for managing to get DRob into the mix. :tu

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM

I guess I need to use these little smiley faces more often, otherwise DOLTS like you don't know the difference between a sarcastic joke and a serious comment.

Once again, ad hominem arguments.

whottt
11-21-2006, 03:57 PM
False....the Bucks finished in last place in their division the year after Robertson retired(when they had made the finals) and the Lakers had a couple of last place finishes with Kareem prior to drafting Magic Johnson.

Next.............................................. ............

What do Karrem, Hakeem, Shaq and Wilt not have in common with David Robinson?

Getting their asses kicked, failing to have a winning record, and failing to make the playoffs, and sometimes finishing dead last in their divisions,...when they didn't have fucking All World Guards on their teams.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Do you insult everybody that you disagree with?

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Getting their asses kicked and failing to make the playoffs...when they didn't have fucking All World Guards on their teams.

Just out of curiosity, are you admitting Duncan > Robinson?

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Mario Elie = All World Guard

Go on...hate, I dare ya.

ShoogarBear
:lol

Mario wasn't there for #2.

Mavs<Spurs

"i don't know who's being sarcastic and who's being serious in this thread " .

Those weren't my words.
In person, you can tell normally when somebody is making a joke. On a board, we are working with less information. Therefore, in all seriousness, making it clear by using the faces, is not such a bad idea.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Mario Elie = All World Guard

Go on...hate, I dare ya.

I loved it when Mario wagged his finger at the crowd and the other team in the 99 playoffs and didn't he wave when he played for Houston and sent the other team packing (Phoenix right) ?

:nope

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
:lol

Mario wasn't there for #2.

Manu was....it was right before he beat Team USA for the Gold Medal in the Olympics...I forget who was on Team USA that year.

Plus there was that Parker guy who is considered untouchable by some fantasy owners...

And hey...Kerr was good enough to get the last shot in a must win finals game on the same team with Michael Jordan, in fact he was good enough to get the ball directly from Jordan...and he is the all time 3 point king.

As opposed to a certain former Spurs PG, who is the all time non 3 point king.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I loved it when Mario wagged his finger at the crowd and the other team in the 99 playoffs and didn't he wave when he played for Houston and sent the other team packing (Phoenix right) ?

:nope

Houston - Phoenix was a great series.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Manu was....it was right before he beat Team USA for the Gold Medal in the Olympics...I forget who was on Team USA that year.

Plus there was that Parker guy who is considered untouchable by some fantasy owners...

And hey...Kerr was good enough to get the last shot on the same team with Michael Jordan...he is the all time 3 point king.

Kerr the zone buster.

Kerr, Mario and Horry all seem to have the knack for getting on teams with the best player playing at the time and knocking down key shots.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM

And hey...Kerr was good enough to get the last shot in a must win finals game on the same team with Michael Jordan, in fact he was good enough to get the ball directly from Jordan...and he is the all time 3 point king.

As opposed to a certain former Spurs PG, who is the all time non 3 point king.

You're talking about baseline aren't you. 2 times baseline < tony parker.

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I know you're not part of the Deep End Crew that thinks Manu ~ Magic or Oscar.

Tony Parker? How many three pointers did he hit?

And using the Olympics kind of negates your whole argument.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:09 PM
And before you go to the Rusell card, Bear...it helps to have a HOF PG who just so happens to be the All Time assist leader as your PG.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM

Not sure of the total...I just know he tripled the previous Spurs PG's 16 year career playoff total in his first playoff game against Gary Payton as a 19 year old rookie.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:12 PM

And using the Olympics kind of negates your whole argument.

Nobody really believes that, do they.

I love Manu's game and he is a great player, but Magic is the second best player ever imo.

Tony was not a very good three point shooter before. He is average now, on good days.

the official list:

Jordan best, Magic second, Bird third, Russell fourth, Tim Duncan fifth,

ShoogarBear
And before you go to the Rusell card, Bear...it helps to have a HOF PG who just so happens to be the All Time assist leader as your PG.

Sure it does.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PF/PF_837075_OEM_15MB~Karl-Malone-John-Stockton-2-Photofile-Posters.jpg

whottt
AJ>Magic, O, Cousy, Cassell, Elie, Manu, Penny, Kobe, Wade and Parker

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
And Stockton

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Forget Earvin, whottt is the real Magic.

He turned a thread about Duncan, Hakeem, Magic, Wilt, and Kareem into one about Avery Johnson.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM

I part of the deepend crew that includes Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Gregg Poppovich, Charles Barkley, Kobe Bryant and other notables that think Manu is one hell of a basketball player.

JamStone
Once again, ad hominem arguments.

There was no argument to make. It was a joke. Ad hominem to misconstrue a joke because you took it personally since you started this thread.

SMFH!

Do you insult everybody that you disagree with?

Calling you a "DOLT" wasn't an insult. It was my personal opinion. Just like it's your opinion that Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world.

And, again, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was making a joke in a fucking messageboard thread.

GET

A

GRIP

"i don't know who's being sarcastic and who's being serious in this thread " .

Those weren't my words.

I know you didn't write that. I didn't quote it when I made my post at you. Your response was enough to tell me you couldn't tell that I was joking.

OMG, let it go, dude.

Mavs<Spurs
I part of the deepend crew that includes Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Gregg Poppovich, Charles Barkley, Kobe Bryant and other notables that think Manu is one hell of a basketball player.

most of us around here believe that. the other was a straw man argument.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Forget Earvin, whottt is the real Magic.

He turned a thread about Duncan, Hakeem, Magic, Wilt, and Kareem into one about Avery Johnson.

Bad logic is being used to rate players...

I can't help it if I like to shoot fish in a barrel.

Mavs<Spurs
11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
There was no argument to make. It was a joke. Ad hominem to misconstrue a joke because you took it personally since you started this thread.

SMFH!

Calling you a "DOLT" wasn't an insult. It was my personal opinion. Just like it's your opinion that Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world.

And, again, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was making a joke in a fucking messageboard thread.

GET

A

GRIP

I know you didn't write that. I didn't quote it when I made my post at you. Your response was enough to tell me you couldn't tell that I was joking.

OMG, let it go, dude.

peace out, we both have better things to do.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Shoogar...since Parker doesn't really do a whole lot...can we still work that trade?

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 04:20 PM
I have Quentin Richardson. He's a much better point guard for your system.

whottt
11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Ok, so who do you want for Richardson? :smokin

slayermin
11-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Kareem in his prime goes in there, too.

And, unfortunately, Karl Malone. But he loses points for no titles.

I never saw Kareem play before his Laker days (other than NBA classic replays) but as a Laker, he was never dominating on defense. Kareem should be ranked higher as an overall player than Tim because of his full body of work. But Tim isn't done yet.

Everything Tim Duncan is about was embodied in game six against the Nets in '03. The man was two blocks away from a quadruple-double. Tim might fall short of Jabbar's six regular season mvp's but if TD could get a couple of more Finals MVP's, that more than makes up for it.

As far as Malone is concerned, he never won a ring which excludes him from the conversation imo.

FromWayDowntown
11-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career accomplishments and highlights in some sort of list form?

ShoogarBear
11-22-2006, 02:08 AM
No, it'd be nice if someone put together such a list, FWD, but I don't know that anyone ever has.

phyzik
11-22-2006, 03:07 AM
I dont know if Timmy will be the greatest PF of all-time but anyone who tries to deny the possibilty needs to whipe away the sperm from their eyes from whatever player they are sucking off.

Loose Cannon
11-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Puro Califas Puto. Los Lakers Por Vida.

USC
Chargers
Lakers

All Champions this year.

SOCAL SPORTS KICK ASS

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6091/522355472de1.jpg

LilMissSPURfect
11-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Re: Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world

Re: Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world

:clap

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-22-2006, 09:48 AM
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6091/522355472de1.jpg
:nutkick:

Viva Las Espuelas
11-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Kareem was hard?

You just proved you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Throughout his career, Kareem was being criticized for not being physical enough. Wilt Chamberlain called him a "disgrace" because he thought he should have been a better rebounder.yeah. even the little kid in "Airplane" fronted him.

jman3000
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
i know he had a crap load of blocks... but wasn't his defense actually suspect? kinda like a bradley type deal.

TurkishTimDuncan
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I agree this idea. You think that. He can do easily ebverything. so some people cant understand tims play.Becouse they understand only Dunk or action.

But Tim is still has 3 chammpions and ı hope that this year will be 4

Ariel
11-23-2006, 04:41 PM
yes basketball player
Damn. After reading three pages, I find myself regarding this post as one of the smartest in the thread...

spursaretheone
11-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's career accomplishments and highlights in some sort of list form?

:lmao That is exactly what I was thinking! the lakers fan had no other argument then to just put up stats for every question. Now I just want to ask him if he thinks Robert Horry is a great player even though he doesnt have the stats to back it up? I am not saying that Horry is in the same class as Kareem but its just to make him see that stats aren't everything.

Chris Childs
11-23-2006, 04:51 PM
What