PDA

View Full Version : I need your help

Kori Ellis
11-20-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm writing an article about UTSA football for another site. So I'm using you guys for research. I know that they had a feasibility student conducted recently but that the results haven't been released yet (right?)

Anyway, I just need your opinions ...

What do you think are the Pros/Cons of UTSA getting a football program?

Do you think it will happen?

Thanks,

Kori

johngateswhiteley
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
1. its a wonderful idea cause San Antonio is too large to not have 1 single upper division CFB team

2. i think it will eventually happen and there is a great talent pool in San Antonio, especially with UTSA being the one horse

3. but, when and if it happens, your looking at least 5 years down the road for respectability from start

Kori Ellis
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
None of you have answers for me other than John? :cry

(Thanks John)

samikeyp
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I think it will happen within the next 10 years

Pros:
Good talent in SA, Ready made facility (alamodome), no D-1 presence in town.

Cons....TV market is not huge.....will not be a good team to start with. The coach will have to convince some good talent who could play elsewhere to stay at home.

Brutalis
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
UTSA is much like UALR. thats all i know.

j-6
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry, boss lady.

I don't see tens of thousands of San Antonians coming to see UTSA play Nichols State or SFA. Most new schools seeking to play D-1 football spend four or five years at the D-2 or I-AA level, then spend four or five years as an independent, and then maybe some lower echelon conference will pick them up.

Check UCF out. They're in a one pro team town (Orlando) and are in a state full of power programs with lots of HS talent, very high student enrollment, a commuter school, and an existing large stadium (Citrus Bowl). They joined D-2 in '90, D-1 as an independent in '96, the MAC in '02, and C-USA in '05.

If C-USA is the best UTSA can hope for, and that's fifteen years down the road, I wouldn't waste any time with this. Most San Antonians would rather stay at home and watch UT or A&M play on TV than go watch UTSA do battle with the East Carolina Pirates.

It's a helluva lot easier to develop a high powered mid-major basketball team in a larger metro market. Go check out the upset darlings of the last ten to twelve NCAA tournament and look where the teams came from. Spokane. Milwaukee. Arlington / DC. Memphis. Wichita. I'd devote resources to that first.

tlongII
11-21-2006, 06:07 PM
It would be similar to Portland State here. PSU is D-1AA in football and their program is pretty good. They get a lot of Pac-10 players that transfer out because of lack of playing time. The admissions requirements aren't as tough as D-1 schools so you get some quality talent. I would see the same thing happening for UTSA as it pulls from the talent base of the Big-12. Attendance is so-so, but it's good entertainment value for the dollars you spend.

reydawg
11-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Where do all of you get that there's a lot of talent around SA?

Yeah there's a lot of high schools, but very few SA kids - relatively - go on to play D1 football.

SrA Husker
11-22-2006, 11:36 AM
One of the big reasons football will probably never get off the ground at UTSA is because of Title IX - UTSA would most likely have to add a few womens sports to equal out the scholarship numbers, and my guess is they don't want to spend that money.

A better idea, imho, is to start up a D-I Hockey program. Normally D-II Nebraska-Omaha did this a few years ago and it's mainly been a success. They play in the same conference as Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, so they face quality competition that can attract crowds. It requires less scholarship numbers, and would be easy to set up using the AT&T Center. And before anyone mentions competing with the Rampage, Omaha also has a professional hockey team (the Knights) and a very successful amateur team (the Lancers).

samikeyp
11-22-2006, 12:16 PM
and use the florida international model

well except for the whole "start a brawl" thing. :)

SrA Husker
11-22-2006, 12:23 PM
well except for the whole "start a brawl" thing. :)

Hey, everyone knows about FIU now!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
At least by starting at D-IIA, you can establish rivalries with area schools (State, etc.), but starting in the Southland and building it up would probably be best. Although you would get on the map by serving as a doormat for UT and A&M every season.

samikeyp
11-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Hey, everyone knows about FIU now!

Good point!! :)