PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Road-warrior Spurs charge on

Solid D
11-21-2006, 02:07 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA112106.01D.BKNspurs.blazers.gamer.37cbc7d.html

Web Posted: 11/21/2006 12:46 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan had heard the stories about Tim Duncan. He knew Duncan was feeling good and playing even better. He had seen Duncan dominate the Sacramento Kings one night earlier.
McMillan probably would have felt better had someone also warned him about Manu Ginobili.

Turning the fourth quarter into his personal highlight show, Ginobili scored 18 of his season-high 25 points in the final 10 minutes as the Spurs fought off Portland 107-98 Monday night at the Rose Garden.

With Duncan also scoring 25 and Bruce Bowen limiting Zach Randolph to only four in the second half, the Spurs remained unbeaten on the road and jetted home with a rare victories on back-to-back nights.

"Manu just took over the whole game," Duncan said.

Ginobili, who has been struggling with his shot for much of the season, hit three 3-pointers and produced two three-point plays in the fourth quarter.

"I needed a game like this," Ginobili said. "I don't know if it's going to be a turnaround for the whole season, but it's good for my confidence."

After Portland closed within three with less than five minutes left, Duncan found Ginobili, who twisted in a difficult reverse layup as he was fouled. Ginobili then came up with a steal and fed Brent Barry for another layup.

The Trail Blazers carried a 5-6 record into Monday, which was about five victories more than they were expected to have. With only five players on the roster with more than four years of experience — and three of those are out with injuries — McMillan expected a few more growing pains from his young team.

"I thought it would be tough just because we had so many new faces," McMillan said. "We've been able to win some games and play some pretty good basketball. We had two or three stinkers where we just looked awful, but for the most part I'm happy where we are.

"I didn't say we have arrived, but you give credit where credit is due. We're 5-6 (before Monday) and I think people probably would have thought we would be 0-11."

McMillan said his first goal was to get the Blazers to consistently play hard. So far, he's been pleased with what he's seen. It also hasn't hurt that Randolph has been playing at an All-Star level.

Randolph entered Monday averaging 26.0 points and 10.9 rebounds. After the first quarter, he seemed likely to improve those numbers.

Fabricio Oberto took the first assignment of guarding Randolph. On the opening possession, Randolph turned and faced Oberto then drove by him for a layup.

The rest of the quarter was much of the same as Randolph scored 13 points, hurting the Spurs inside and out. Duncan took his turn and watched Randolph bury an 18-footer over him.

The Spurs sometimes ran a second defender at Randolph to get the ball out of his hands, but the other Blazers did their best to make them pay. Juan Dixon scored 10 points off the bench in the first half.

Portland nudged its lead to 10 then turned back one Spurs' rally midway through the third quarter.

With Spurs point guard Tony Parker continuing to fire away and his jump shot continuing to fail him, the Spurs came up with a novel solution to their troubles.

They gave the ball to Duncan.

Duncan scored 13 points in the quarter, repeatedly setting up on the left block and pounding away at Portland inside. He even banked in a 14-footer over Randolph's head.

Duncan would have done even more damage had he not missed four consecutive free throws, prompting him to clench his fists and scream.

Bowen's 3-pointer tied the game with 2:15 left in the third quarter and the Spurs went on to surge ahead.

The Spurs have won six straight over the Blazers, and 13 of 14. They also have won seven of their last eight visits to the Rose Garden.

"We are really playing better on the road than at home," Ginobili said. "We have a better mentality. We grind games out for 48 minutes."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Ginobili, who has been struggling with his shot for much of the season, hit three 3-pointers and produced two three-point plays in the fourth quarter.

"I needed a game like this," Ginobili said. "I don't know if it's going to be a turnaround for the whole season, but it's good for my confidence."
I really hope he can use this for his mental edge for the season. You could really tell at the beginning of the season he was playing with a bit of doubt to his game. Now if Fin dog get can get his shit straight we'll be looking pretty good.

"We are really playing better on the road than at home," Ginobili said. "We have a better mentality. We grind games out for 48 minutes."
With this mentality they can be very successful in b2b's.

SpursIndonesia
11-21-2006, 02:23 AM

Did Manu insinuate that the team are coasting at home games ? :wtf

Not good Spurs, not good. :nope

phyzik
11-21-2006, 02:28 AM

It sounds like the truth, but honestly, Id rather win every single away game then home games..... At least during the regular season.

jmard5
11-21-2006, 03:42 AM

Manu just merely stating the obvious. I doubt the Spurs are intentionally coasting at home. They have the best road record at the moment. They are also 9-2.

We are all spoiled fans who want to win every single Spurs game. Why, who does not want to? :lol

Obstructed_View
11-21-2006, 03:48 AM
The Spurs have laid one egg so far in eleven games. Who thought they'd start out the season like that?

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2006, 04:19 AM
why doesnt tim say rude words in media interviews, manu went apeshit on them :D

pjjrfan
11-21-2006, 07:41 AM
It sure did seem like Manu like a twin or a triplet out there, I haven't seen such a perfermance in quite a while from any player in the league, but the beauty of Manu, he showcased his superstar talent last night. He came at the Blazers mercilessly, he attacked them on offense, on defense he smothered them and when he wasn't scoring he was setting guys up or getting open for his teammates. I was so glad to see this Manu and the Spurs needed for him to return to some semblence of his old self.

spurschick
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Addendum:

As Manu left the court after the buzzer, he was overheard saying, "Grade that shit, timvp."

Phenomanul
11-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Addendum:

As Manu left the court after the buzzer, he was overheard saying, "Grade that shit, timvp."

:spin

MoSpur
11-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Those two losses the Spurs have were at home. To the Cavs and to the Bobcats. Oh well.

The thing that stood out to me the most in that article was,

With Spurs point guard Tony Parker continuing to fire away and his jump shot continuing to fail him, the Spurs came up with a novel solution to their troubles.

I see Tony more and more falling in love with his jumpshot. I know he has improved, but he is more effective going to the basket. That's just my opinion.

peskypesky
11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
How scary are the Spurs? They have a 9-2 record even though:
1. Manu is just getting started
2. Finley has been sucking
3. They're working new centers into the line-up (and those centers are Fabricio Oberto and Elson, two guys who are not really qualified to be starters in the NBA, with all due respect).

And unbeaten on the road? Winning back-to-back road games? At their age?

nkdlunch
11-21-2006, 10:34 AM

They gave the ball to Duncan.

yup, that shit is not funny

wildbill2u
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
3. They're working new centers into the line-up (and those centers are Fabricio Oberto and Elson, two guys who are not really qualified to be starters in the NBA, with all due respect).

No kidding. A great start on the season, but to listen to some fans we're doomed because of the two games we lost.

AlamoSpursFan
11-21-2006, 11:31 AM

What's really scary (for the rest of the league anyways) is the Spurs are notorious slow starters...but they ALWAYS get BETTER. Heh heh heh...this year is gonna be one hell of a ride!

MaNuMaNiAc
11-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Addendum:

As Manu left the court after the buzzer, he was overheard saying, "Grade that shit, timvp.":lol

Slomo
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Addendum:

As Manu left the court after the buzzer, he was overheard saying, "Grade that shit, timvp.":lol:tu

ducks
11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
tony had atleast 6 layup attempts last night
he is still driving

PROPS for manu last night
that is the manu I like

1Parker1
11-21-2006, 07:38 PM
With Spurs point guard Tony Parker continuing to fire away and his jump shot continuing to fail him,

:lol While this may be true, I get the feeling Johnny Ludden isn't a big fan of Parker's. This is like the 4th of 5th article I remember reading where he made subtle digs on Parker.

phxspurfan
11-22-2006, 12:25 AM
The Spurs have laid one egg so far in eleven games. Who thought they'd start out the season like that?

I did (I think I said 14-1 in predict november record contest)

elborracho07
11-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Maybe we need to make reservations for the team to stay at the Marriott on home games.