PDA

View Full Version : 25 rebounds vs Portland????

Quasar
11-21-2006, 06:53 AM
Portland had 35 rebounds while the Spurs only had 25.

What happened? How did the Spurs manage to get so badly outrebounded?

This is not the same 'Rasheed' team that used to give the Spurs matchup problems. Also, I thought the Spurs were doing much better on the boards this year!?!?

PS: I didn't manage to watch the game.

boutons_
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Spurs are not RBing well this year, only 10th in the league in +diff RB. Much like last year.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable2.html?cnf=1&prd=1#top

Spurs were averaging 45 RB/game, but last night's 25 RB pulled that avg down by 2 RBs.

It was a B2B, Spurs are tired, old, slow, lethargic, senile.

I'm curious to see how badly the Spurs will destroyed on the boards @Jazz next Wed.
That game will the "WC November Championship".

Borosai
11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Um, both teams shot 50% or better. Unless catching the ball after it falls through the rim is considered a rebound, the numbers are going to go down. More misses, more rebounds.

Hook Dem
11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Spurs are not RBing well this year, only 10th in the league in +diff RB. Much like last year.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable2.html?cnf=1&prd=1#top

Spurs were averaging 45 RB/game, but last night's 25 RB pulled that avg down by 2 RBs.

I'm curious to see how badly the Spurs will destroyed on the boards @Jazz next Wed.
That game will the "WC November Championship".
Your analysis of basketball is a lot like your political analysis......LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED!

Quasar
11-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Um, both teams shot 50% or better. Unless catching the ball after it falls through the rim is considered a rebound, the numbers are going to go down. More misses, more rebounds.Um, consider this:
1. team rebounds are about equal (10 vs 8)

2. the Blazers shot more times and for a lesser % than the Spurs.

3. the Spurs missed very few FTs :spin

4. Portland has almost twice the number of offensive rebounds (11 vs 6 for the spurs). Granted that the spurs are not a great O-rebound team but this means defensive rebounds were lost!

All the above factors indicate the Spurs should have at least matched Portland in rebounding.

Oberto was especially poor tonight, with only 1. And it was an offensive rebound!! Where was he on defense??

Quasar
11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I was looking for last year's stats but couldn't find them - couldn't find out how to get team-based statistics on basketball-reference.com while cbsportsline.com's statistics don't track rebound differential.

From what I remember, last year's team used to get outrebounded more often compared to this year's. Actually I think this is the first time that this year's team is being outrebounded in a win (cleveland did destroy them!).

This year's team :
-> outrebounded or equalled the kings & mavs (they gave the spurs fits on the boards last year)
-> crushed the hornets (by almost 20+ rebounds!)

I thought Fabrisco Obertson + better rebounding from the swingmen this year meant the spurs would not be dominated on the boards again.

I'm curious to see how badly the Spurs will destroyed on the boards @Jazz next Wed.Back to back or not, -10 in rebounds usually means something went awfully wrong. The spurs are lucky to have Manu - he won the game!

Heh indeed, the game against the Jazz should be good. Hope the spurs can show them who's the boss!

Beaverfuzz
11-21-2006, 10:59 AM
Oberto looked gassed last night, and Portland has the younger bigger players who are crashing the glass for rebounds. Doesn't help when you have Barry, Parker, Manu, and someone else small in while Duncan is trying to get past 2-4 Blazers for a rebound.

Bruno
11-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Rebounding as a lot to with energy and "old" Spurs lack some energy for the second game of a b2b.

To back up this, last year regular season stats :

Second game of a b2b (16 games):
Spurs : 38.4 rbds
Opponents : 41.1 rbds

Other games (66 games) :
Spurs : 42.2 rbds
Opponents : 40.1 rbds

boutons_
11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
HD, scoot along, kiddie, go ask your Daddy to take that huge hook out of your mouth.

Bruno
11-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Disagree, Spurs are rebounding very well this year especially given how they roster is build.
People need to stop to be delusional, you can't have a team that is the best one in every aspect of the game.

td4mvp21
11-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Both teams shot really well, the stops that were made were mostly turnovers, not misses. And Tim only had 6, so thats about 6-10 rebounds less. Who cares, we are still a better rebounding team than we all thought we would be.

Obstructed_View
11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
The Spurs win the game and someone is bitching about the stats?

MrChug
11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I have to admit I freaked looking at the box score and said "Okay...6, 3, 3, 2, 4, DAAYYYUMM!" :(

Quasar
11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
The Spurs win the game and someone is bitching about the stats?

I didn't get to watch the gameThere's a difference between bitching and asking for intelligent information/analysis about a perceived problem.

K-State Spur
11-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Last night was a rough night on the boards. But that doesn't mean the team has struggled all year or will struggle all year. One tough game (which they still won by the way).