PDA

View Full Version : Explosion and building collapse on N.E. Side...

AlamoSpursFan
11-21-2006, 11:42 AM
NEW: Building collapses on the Northeast Side

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA112106.collapse.kens.eaaf77d.html

Web Posted: 11/21/2006 10:39 AM CST

KENS 5 Eyewitness News

Emergency crews are responding to an explosion and structure collapse on the city's Northeast Side.

It happened in the 3400 block of Steen along Interstate 35 across from Splash Town.

No word on what type of building has collapsed or what caused the explosion. No injuries have been reported, so far.

Stay tuned to KENS 5 and MySanAntonio.com as more information becomes available

mcornelio
11-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Wtf.... Anyone Update! Wtf...???

11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Is that the cabinet manufacturing place?

SpursWoman
11-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Cardell is right before SBC Center Dr.

midgetonadonkey
11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
al qaeda

AlamoSpursFan
11-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Trying to think of what's over there...I know Coke has a warehouse there, but unless someone shook the whole place up I doubt it would explode.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Trying to think of what's over there...I know Coke has a warehouse there, but unless someone shook the whole place up I doubt it would explode.

Manu must have been thirsty after last night.

CosmicCowboy
11-21-2006, 04:53 PM
no biggie

UPDATED: 2 injured in Northeast Side building collapse

Web Posted: 11/21/2006 03:42 PM CST

KENS 5 Eyewitness News and San Antonio Express-News

For the past few days, Stephanie St. Marie heard unnamed things bumping against the wall of her East Side workplace. She knew workers were making repairs to an empty warehouse next door, so she paid the noises no mind.

But when the wall started to shake violently Tuesday morning, St. Marie yelled for her fellow employees to flee the building in the 3400 block of Steen.

The lights began to flicker, and a rumbling arose. The employees of BMC Solutions, a computer service, ran outside screaming. Next door, about 100 feet of the empty warehouse collapsed in a mass of metal and cinderblocks.

"It's unexpected, I know there was some sheet rock walls, couple of days ago shifting back and forth, but I didn't' think anything like this," said eyewitness Joseph Fuentes.

Two contract workers who had been repairing a column inside dove beneath a pickup parked outside as the rubble rained down, said Deputy Fire Chief Rodney Hitzfelder.

The men "were working on the column, and what they (said) is that did cause the collapse," Hitzfelder said.

"Our firefighters did an initial investigation to make sure there wasn't anybody still trapped," Hitzfelder said. "We did check with all of the tenants, with the building owner, and with the contractor to make sure everybody is accounted for, at this time, there is no reason to believe that anybody is missing."

The two workers suffered minor injuries. When the dust cleared, they crawled from beneath the truck. No one else was injured in the collapse.

A natural gas leak prompted authorities to halt traffic on a rail line located behind the building and turn off all utilities to the building.