PDA

View Full Version : One on One with Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto

tekdragon
11-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Please lock if this has been posted already (I couldn't find it)...

from Hoopsworld: (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_19530.shtml)

By Caren Sawyer
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Nov 20, 2006, 17:56

The San Antonio Spurs have been the epitome of defense over the past few years. This season Eric Musselman is trying to get his Sacramento Kings team to follow in the same spirit.

On the night of another solid win by the Spurs over a Kings team trying to redefine itself with defense Manu Ginobili and Fabricio Oberto talk about a few things that make the Spurs what they are.

Manu put Argentina on the basketball map for NBA fans over the past 5 years with the San Antonio Spurs and lately Fabricio Oberto has added to the impression that there must really be some good basketball training in the Silver Country. Manu has been known for the energy he provided to the Spurs on offense and now Fabricio has shown that even at 6-10 he has some of those energy sparks as well.

Manu, the Spurs have gotten off to probably one of the teams stronger starts this season are you doing anything differently, have they're been any changes?
No, probably a little hungrier, but besides that we're not doing anything different. We try to play the same game and the same system we just happen to win a couple more games.

Your team is known for defense and it seems that this season the Kings have tried to focus on their defense, is your approach going to be any different towards them tonight than it would have been last year?
No, I think they are basically the same team. They lost an important piece with Bonzi but they still play well. They a run a lot, they set good picks, move the ball well, they do the same thing. We're going to try to give the same focus and the same basics.

You personally are probably going to be matched up with Kevin Martin. He’s had quite a season so far, is your focus going to be any different against him?
The fact for him not having Bonzi gives him more freedom, more shots, so he's feeling very confident and he's doing great, so as against any other good scorer you just have to be very focused knowing full well that he's really good playing off the ball cutting and when he has the ball in his hands he's producing a lot, so I'm going to have to do a very good job especially before he catches.

He’s probably the biggest offensive threat right now on the team is there anyone else on the team that you're focusing on?
It’s hard against a team like them, we know how good Bibby is, Artest had a great series against us last year, Shareef is a very talented post player, and same with Kenny, so it's not a team where you can underestimate anybody because they all have points in their hands.

What about yourself, you’ve always been kind of the energy guy for the team. You’re almost a veteran now; you've been around for a while, maybe not as long as some (Manu and Robert Horry laughs)?
No I think my job is still being the energy guy. I try to make things happen. Of course I'm not the main offensive weapon now with the way Tony is playing, and Tim, so I just try to give the team whatever is needed at certain points of the game. It's basically the same thing I've always done, sometimes I just feeling better shooting, but now I'm feeling confident, feeling good.

In regards to Tony he's really having a great season helping you guys.He's just having another really great season. Last year he was an All-Star so it's not like he's a surprise we know what he can do, what he can produce and give us, so he's just bringing it every game and one of the big reasons why we started 6-2.

Fabricio, you have the opportunity to start the season since both Nazr and Rasho are gone. How has that helped your game being able to play more minutes and getting out with the starting group?
It's a good opportunity but I don't think it's the main thing. Being out there is the most important thing, every day working, trying to help the team, when I'm on the court trying to find my role that's a good thing. Even if I wasn't the starter I would feel really happy.

What do you see your role as being with the team?
I'm getting used to my game, getting used to play with Tony, trying to find my spot, work hard on defense, try to get the role down.

Defense has always been an important part of San Antonio how important is that for you being the big guy on the court in the post?
For me it's really a motivation to play defense against other players who had many years in the league.

How is it playing with Tim Duncan?
He brings a lot to the game. Sometimes I go to the spot he used to play to try to get my space and to try to get more comfortable and try to help.

Tonight playing Sacramento they are without Brad Miller. They are going with Shareef who is not as big but he can still be dominant out there, how are you going to approach him?
He's a really good player and to take a new position like that, he's a great shooter, he's had so many years of the league, he knows his role, he knows how to play and how to defend, so it will make playing him really hard in that spot.

The Spurs have started off pretty good this season, it seems like in the past usually it takes you a few games to get your flow going, this season you've gotten off to a pretty fast start is there anything different this season?
We try to play hard every game, try to give everything to keep rolling but we still have got to work harder.

Manu and Fabricio both have their roles on the Spurs. For Manu it’s providing some offensive spark when Tony Parker is having a lull. For Fabricio it’s about setting up Tim Duncan. Both are doing their jobs quite well and show no signs of letting up. Good news for the Spurs, a challenge for the rest of the league.

danyel
11-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Wouldnt that be one on two?