PDA

View Full Version : is anyone not celebrating thanksgiving?

nkdlunch
11-21-2006, 05:12 PM
us illegal immigrants don't celebrate thanksgiving. I might just get drunk and play dominos. anybody else doing something different?

Marklar MM
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
I am going to my aunts to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family.

dirk4mvp
11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm going to pig out at grandma's house :fro :hungry:

ShoogarBear
11-21-2006, 05:19 PM
us illegal immigrants don't celebrate thanksgiving. Funny, since that's who started it.

SpursWoman
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Funny, since that's who started it.

:lmao

nkdlunch
11-21-2006, 05:25 PM

:lol so we don't need a green card to buy turkey?

Das Texan
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
jehovah's witnesses dont celebrate.

samikeyp
11-21-2006, 05:28 PM
so we don't need a green card to buy turkey?

nope, just a Lone Star Card. :)

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Shit, give me my mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie + football.

ObiwanGinobili
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't.

and i think we are going to emo's tio benny's house to help make some deer sausage on thursday.... or friday. I have to check.

ObiwanGinobili
11-21-2006, 05:37 PM

:lmao :lmao

Mr Dio
11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
jehovah's witnesses dont celebrate.

Nor do the ghosts of dead Native Americans.

JoeChalupa
11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Tamales!!

E20
11-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm going to work. 8:45 to 5:15. This is where the big bucks start rolling in.

ShoogarBear
11-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Link (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.thanksgiving22nov22,0,7968165.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines)

Plymouth historians debunk myths of 'first Thanksgiving'

In 1841, an author made a Pilgrim connection that didn't exist
By Lisa Anderson
Originally published November 22, 2006

NEW YORK // One autumn day in 1621, newly arrived Pilgrims joined native Wampanoag Indians in Massachusetts' Plymouth Colony to share a harvest meal of thanksgiving, including roast turkey, pumpkin pie and an Indian-supplied delicacy, popcorn. From kindergartners acting in their first pageant to grandparents presiding over the family feast, most Americans know the story of Thanksgiving cold. And most of them would be wrong.

It's time to talk turkey about Thanksgiving.

While long immortalized in painting, poetry and song - and annually reinforced by chocolate turkeys, buckle-hatted Garfields on Hallmark cards and school re-enactments of the blessed banquet - the "first Thanksgiving" that gave rise to America's holiday tradition never occurred, at least not in the way most of us picture and understand it.

There is no historical link between the harvest meal in 1621 and America's Thanksgiving narrative.

It is, quite simply, a myth, albeit a cherished one, according to no less authority than the historians at Plymouth's Plimouth Plantation, a nonprofit educational institution and living museum that researches and replicates life in the early years of the colony. Although there are deep historical dimensions to the myth, some of the shallower aspects concerning cuisine might be among the more shocking to Americans.

Brace yourself. For starters, there is no evidence that turkey was on a menu that more likely starred venison, duck, goose and shellfish. There might have been stewed pumpkin, but certainly no pumpkin pie in the then almost certainly ovenless Plymouth Colony.

Cranberry sauce was as unknown to the colonists and the Indians, and neither yams nor white potatoes were grown yet in the New World. There is nothing to suggest the Native Americans popped corn and bestowed it on their colonizers. And there likely was no groaning board around which diners gathered.

"Did they even have a table? Maybe," said Elizabeth Pleck, a historian at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, who has written extensively on the history of Thanksgiving.

The modern Thanksgiving tradition is rooted in a 165-year-old historical misunderstanding that goes far beyond the question of whether turkey was served. There was no connection made between Pilgrims and Thanksgiving until 1841, when Alexander Young published a book in Boston containing a letter written by Edward Winslow, one of the Plymouth Colony leaders, on Dec. 11, 1621.

The letter includes one paragraph in which Winslow described a three-day harvest celebration attended by the 50 colonists and about 90 Indians.

On his own, Young decided to add an asterisk, a fateful footnote describing the event as "the first Thanksgiving" and dragging in the unmentioned turkey by stating "they no doubt feasted on the wild turkey as well as venison."

In essence, Young wrongly conflated the English tradition of a secular harvest festival with the very specific Puritan tradition of observing holy days of Thanksgiving, which occurred primarily in church and only when occasions warranted.

In fact, Thanksgiving, arguably America's most inclusive and cherished day of family observance, wasn't a national holiday until President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed it so in 1863. And that was primarily the result of a 17-year campaign by magazine editor Sara Josepha Hale, who initially thought such a holiday might avert the Civil War and subsequently hoped it would help heal the nation's wounds.

But it all started with Young's faulty footnote. "So, basically, that asterisk sets the myth in motion," said Jennifer Monac, public relations manager for Plimouth Plantation. "That's all it was, a paragraph in a book, and it's turned into America's most beloved holiday."

"To the English of Plymouth Plantation, what is now referred to as the 'First Thanksgiving' was neither a 'first' nor a 'thanksgiving,'" as Kathleen Curtin, Plimouth Plantation food historian, states bluntly in her 2005 book, Giving Thanks: Thanksgiving Recipes and History, From Pilgrims to Pumpkin Pie. If there was, indeed, a "first Thanksgiving" in Plymouth Colony, it came in 1623, when the colonists, short on food, thanked God for the end of a drought and the news that a supply ship was on its way.

Nonetheless, the wrong story not only stuck but became the history taught to generations of immigrant children to help them and their parents identify with the history of their new country.

Andrew Smith, culinary historian and author of the just-published The Turkey: An American Story, said he doubted all Americans cleave to the myth:

"That's probably exaggerated. It's probably 99.9 percent."

Lisa Anderson writes for the Chicago Tribune.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I've celebrated Thanks Giving since I was 11 years old up to when I graduated high school. I love the holiday, I hate pumpkin pie. Don't celebrated anymore though