PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 announces 5 Bowl Placements

SrA Husker
11-21-2006, 11:49 PM
The Big Ten office announced the bowl destinations for five conference football programs today. Wisconsin will make its second straight trip to the Capital One Bowl, Penn State was selected for the Outback Bowl, Purdue will make the Big Ten's first appearance in the Champs Sports Bowl, Iowa will travel to the Alamo Bowl and Minnesota was chosen as the first conference squad to play in the Insight Bowl. Based on the current Bowl Championship Series (BCS) rankings, the Big Ten is confident that Ohio State and Michigan will participate in BCS games to be determined on Dec. 3.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112106aae.html

Teams already accepting Bowl Invitations:
Capital One: Wisconsin vs SEC 2
Champs Sports: Penn State vs ACC 4
Alamo: Iowa vs Big 12 4/5
Insight: Minnesota vs Big 12 6
Meineke Car Care: Navy vs ACC
Sheraton Hawaii: Hawaii vs Pac 10
Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas: BYU vs Pac 10 4

Brutalis
11-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Sorry to break the news but the loser of the SEC Championship game is not going to play some chump Capitol One bowl.

SrA Husker
11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Sorry to break the news but the loser of the SEC Championship game is not going to play some chump Capitol One bowl.

I'm just going by what the ESPN Bowl Projection page says:
Capital One
(Big Ten No. 2 vs. SEC No. 2)

Brutalis
11-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I know. Wisconsin is good but Florida/Arkansas would dismantle them.

johngateswhiteley
11-21-2006, 11:59 PM
iowa is gonna lose. their possible matchups are nebraska, A&M, tek, & k-state.

SrA Husker
11-22-2006, 12:02 AM
iowa is gonna lose. their possible matchups are nebraska, A&M, tek, & k-state.

Nebraska is not under consideration for the Alamobowl - There's no way they would fall down that far in the pecking order.

From alamobowl.com:
The Big 12 teams currently under consideration include Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Missouri and Oklahoma State.

I personally think A&M is a lock with KSU being the consolation prize.

johngateswhiteley
11-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Nebraska is not under consideration for the Alamobowl - There's no way they would fall down that far in the pecking order.

From alamobowl.com:
The Big 12 teams currently under consideration include Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Missouri and Oklahoma State.

I personally think A&M is a lock with KSU being the consolation prize.

...if A&M beats t.u. and OU beats Nebraska then, yes, the cornhuskers could go to the alamo bowl. if A&M doesn't beat t.u. i think they go to the alamo bowl, otherwise i think its the holiday.

SrA Husker
11-22-2006, 12:24 AM
I still don't think so, John. The traveling party Nebraska brings to a bowl site is well known and documented. Even with a Nebraska loss in the CCG, I still don't think the Holiday would pass on us for a Texas A&M team with the same regular-season record and with Nebraska winning the head-to-head.

I think the only way Nebraska could fall to the Alamo is if we lose both Colorado and the CCG. I honestly don't think it's possible to fall any lower as the Alamo loves us and the 35,000+ fans we've brought to the Dome the 5 times Nebraska has been (2 CCG's, 3 Alamo Bowls)

johngateswhiteley
11-22-2006, 12:30 AM
I still don't think so, John. The traveling party Nebraska brings to a bowl site is well known and documented. Even with a Nebraska loss in the CCG, I still don't think the Holiday would pass on us for a Texas A&M team with the same regular-season record and with Nebraska winning the head-to-head.

I think the only way Nebraska could fall to the Alamo is if we lose both Colorado and the CCG. I honestly don't think it's possible to fall any lower as the Alamo loves us and the 35,000+ fans we've brought to the Dome the 5 times Nebraska has been (2 CCG's, 3 Alamo Bowls)

personally, i don't think you are going to the alamo bowl, but thats not the point. i was just listing possible scenarios. though, i really want A&M to go to the Holiday Bowl.

NoMoneyDown
11-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Wow. times sure do change. I recall a day when you actually HAD TO HAVE A WINNING RECORD to get invited in a bowl. With so many bowls now, they have to cherry pick .500 teams (and maybe worse).

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!

samikeyp
11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Im with ya....they keep adding bowls every year....(31 this year) it used to be going to a bowl game was a reward for a good season....now all you have to do is be mediocre.

TheThinkingMan
11-22-2006, 12:52 PM
I think the Big Ten conference did quite well and the only reason there are so many Bowl Games?

THE BENJAMINS!!!!

vince Young
11-23-2006, 05:42 PM
No as usual yall have it wrong it is cause of me. Everyone wants to find the next me.

Dre_7
11-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I know. Wisconsin is good but Florida/Arkansas would dismantle them.

:lol Wow, you must be hittin the weed hard today!